Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Housing in general  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 14.05.2019, 11:01
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: Zürich
Posts: 25
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 12 Times in 8 Posts
JackDeMon has made some interesting contributions
Rent reduction by Livit

Hi All,

just wanted to share here at the forum my experiences with rent reduction and how it is done by Livit here in Zurich.

First of all I requested the official rent reduction (meaning the Mietzins Reduktion) based on the changes of the reference interest rate from 1,75% to 1,5%. Went pretty fast without a problem and we got a whoooooping 17 CHF reduction.

The next thing we wanted was a bit larger reduction based on what our neighbors are paying. So we did a quick market research and said to Livit that we would like to negotiate the rent that we got in our contract because our neighbors (having same flat size, same amount of rooms, we live on 2nd they on 3rd floor) pay 200 CHF less - the answer was - the prices are not negotiable if you wanna pay less search for a new apartment.

Now the question to the forum is if we can do something more apart from changing the apartment which we really like?

Thank you very much for any cool, funny, good and bad ideas!
Best
JackDeMon
Reply With Quote
This user groans at JackDeMon for this post:
  #2  
Old 14.05.2019, 11:10
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Rent reduction by Livit

Quote:
View Post
The next thing we wanted was a bit larger reduction based on what our neighbors are paying. So we did a quick market research and said to Livit that we would like to negotiate the rent that we got in our contract because our neighbors (having same flat size, same amount of rooms, we live on 2nd they on 3rd floor) pay 200 CHF less - the answer was - the prices are not negotiable if you wanna pay less search for a new apartment.

Now the question to the forum is if we can do something more apart from changing the apartment which we really like?

Thank you very much for any cool, funny, good and bad ideas!
Best
JackDeMon
Unlikely you'll get them to move on the price just because the other flat is paying less.

We pay almost CHF 1000 less than our nearest neighbours because we've been in the flat forEVER and we're paying the same rent as when we moved in (albeit for a few small increases/decreases over the years). The neighbours only moved in 12 months ago so pay the going rate.

If we ever move out, the people that take up the flat will also find a marked increase because that's basically the only time the landlord can meaningfully up the rent, other than if they do a refurb or refit.
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank for this useful post:
  #3  
Old 14.05.2019, 11:57
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Rent reduction by Livit

Your not in the Soviet republic of Switzerland !


It's normal there are differences in rent, depending on how long you've been renting, your personal situation, the renovations done in the apartment etc etc
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank for this useful post:
  #4  
Old 14.05.2019, 12:08
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Greater Zurich
Posts: 557
Groaned at 12 Times in 9 Posts
Thanked 131 Times in 90 Posts
higgsboson is considered knowledgeablehiggsboson is considered knowledgeablehiggsboson is considered knowledgeable
Re: Rent reduction by Livit

May I ask, how much does a landlord have control over what rent they set? Does it matter if they are paying a mortgage?
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 14.05.2019, 12:31
roegner's Avatar
Moderately Dutch
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Zurich
Posts: 11,106
Groaned at 369 Times in 310 Posts
Thanked 14,026 Times in 6,527 Posts
roegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Rent reduction by Livit

Quote:
View Post
May I ask, how much does a landlord have control over what rent they set? Does it matter if they are paying a mortgage?

Market demand
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank roegner for this useful post:
  #6  
Old 14.05.2019, 12:49
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Rent reduction by Livit

Quote:
View Post
May I ask, how much does a landlord have control over what rent they set? Does it matter if they are paying a mortgage?

Whatever they want, irrelevant if there is a mortgage or not
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank for this useful post:
  #7  
Old 14.05.2019, 12:51
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Greater Zurich
Posts: 557
Groaned at 12 Times in 9 Posts
Thanked 131 Times in 90 Posts
higgsboson is considered knowledgeablehiggsboson is considered knowledgeablehiggsboson is considered knowledgeable
Re: Rent reduction by Livit

Quote:
Whatever they want, irrelevant if there is a mortgage or not
So what is this thing about interest rate that allows tenants to ask for a reduction?
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 14.05.2019, 12:55
fatmanfilms's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Verbier
Posts: 21,378
Groaned at 461 Times in 352 Posts
Thanked 23,091 Times in 11,824 Posts
fatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Rent reduction by Livit

Quote:
View Post
So what is this thing about interest rate that allows tenants to ask for a reduction?
Interest rate when contract signed.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank fatmanfilms for this useful post:
  #9  
Old 14.05.2019, 13:00
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Rent reduction by Livit

Quote:
View Post
So what is this thing about interest rate that allows tenants to ask for a reduction?

It's a reference point only


Why should the rent be less as there is no mortgage ??
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank for this useful post:
  #10  
Old 14.05.2019, 13:19
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: Zürich
Posts: 25
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 12 Times in 8 Posts
JackDeMon has made some interesting contributions
Thank you for the info!

Quote:
Your not in the Soviet republic of Switzerland !


It's normal there are differences in rent, depending on how long you've been renting, your personal situation, the renovations done in the apartment etc etc
Thank you - that made me smile " Soviet republic of Switzerland"

Quote:
Unlikely you'll get them to move on the price just because the other flat is paying less.

We pay almost CHF 1000 less than our nearest neighbours because we've been in the flat forEVER and we're paying the same rent as when we moved in (albeit for a few small increases/decreases over the years). The neighbours only moved in 12 months ago so pay the going rate.

If we ever move out, the people that take up the flat will also find a marked increase because that's basically the only time the landlord can meaningfully up the rent, other than if they do a refurb or refit.
That might be the case for most of the people but actually my neighbors moved in 6 months ago. But anyhow thanks for the hint - much appreciated!

Last edited by 3Wishes; 14.05.2019 at 15:09. Reason: merging consecutive replies
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 14.05.2019, 13:37
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Rent reduction by Livit

Quote:
View Post
That might be the case for most of the people but actually my neighbors moved in 6 months ago. But anyhow thanks for the hint - much appreciated!
Obviously I don't know the full circumstances but your neighbours could be subletting the flat from previous owners who had been there longer and therefore still enjoy the same rent from the original beginning of the contract.

Point is that there are all sorts of legitimate explanations. I guess you either suck up the price difference or cut your losses and find a new place.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank for this useful post:
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
interest rate reduction = possible rent reduction [Referenzzinssatz] jot Housing in general 402 16.09.2021 13:54
Deposit delayed by Livit kiezzi Housing in general 2 15.02.2018 17:51
Rent reduction - ongoing plumbing issue NewLondon Housing in general 6 04.01.2017 18:38
rent reduction? TapiroLee Housing in general 4 29.12.2009 11:35
Demand rent reduction? sharkey Housing in general 2 15.04.2009 15:01


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 02:25.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0