Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Housing in general  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 16.05.2019, 16:48
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Geneva
Posts: 136
Groaned at 18 Times in 7 Posts
Thanked 59 Times in 26 Posts
Dan M has earned some respectDan M has earned some respect
Halogen bulb ban

Last year there was a ban on G4 halogen bulbs in the EU and Switzerland. The lights under the kitchen cabinets as well as in the extractor hood are G4s. I have purchased several LED replacements, but so far no luck on getting them to work. Either they don't don't work, flicker, or are too large.

1. Is it reasonable to ask the reggie to replace the light fixtures if an alternative cannot be found?

2. I sent a message to the manufacturer of the hood to see if they have a solution or retrofit kit. If they do, should the reggie bear the cost of the retrofit since it is their appliance?

A couple of dumb questions, but better to you than annoy the reggie with them

Dan
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Dan M for this useful post:
  #2  
Old 16.05.2019, 17:03
fatmanfilms's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Verbier
Posts: 17,711
Groaned at 282 Times in 231 Posts
Thanked 15,081 Times in 8,398 Posts
fatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Halogen bulb ban

Quote:
View Post
Last year there was a ban on G4 halogen bulbs in the EU and Switzerland. The lights under the kitchen cabinets as well as in the extractor hood are G4s. I have purchased several LED replacements, but so far no luck on getting them to work. Either they don't don't work, flicker, or are too large.

1. Is it reasonable to ask the reggie to replace the light fixtures if an alternative cannot be found?

2. I sent a message to the manufacturer of the hood to see if they have a solution or retrofit kit. If they do, should the reggie bear the cost of the retrofit since it is their appliance?

A couple of dumb questions, but better to you than annoy the reggie with them

Dan
Plenty still available in shops or online. Bought some in the UK 2 weeks ago. Look on Amazon.DE or co.uk
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 16.05.2019, 17:14
szhjcn's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Affoltern am Albis, Zurich
Posts: 1,714
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 361 Times in 289 Posts
szhjcn has earned the respect of manyszhjcn has earned the respect of manyszhjcn has earned the respect of many
Re: Halogen bulb ban

Quote:
View Post
Last year there was a ban on G4 halogen bulbs in the EU and Switzerland. The lights under the kitchen cabinets as well as in the extractor hood are G4s. I have purchased several LED replacements, but so far no luck on getting them to work. Either they don't don't work, flicker, or are too large.

1. Is it reasonable to ask the reggie to replace the light fixtures if an alternative cannot be found?

2. I sent a message to the manufacturer of the hood to see if they have a solution or retrofit kit. If they do, should the reggie bear the cost of the retrofit since it is their appliance?

A couple of dumb questions, but better to you than annoy the reggie with them

Dan
Reggie?

Have the bulbs gone?

The ban is on sale, but exisiting stocks can be sold.

Plenty of places sell them here or online. Often these led bulbs will only work one way round, so if it does not work, try switching the bulb round.

You can probably still buy these as Halogen and LED from:

Banggood.com, miniinthebox.com, wish.com, aliexpress.com etc.. google will bring tons of results.

Have to check, but I may have some kicking around at home.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank szhjcn for this useful post:
  #4  
Old 16.05.2019, 17:22
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Leimbach, Zürich
Posts: 5,037
Groaned at 294 Times in 231 Posts
Thanked 5,457 Times in 2,772 Posts
EdwinNL has a reputation beyond reputeEdwinNL has a reputation beyond reputeEdwinNL has a reputation beyond reputeEdwinNL has a reputation beyond reputeEdwinNL has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Halogen bulb ban

Quote:
View Post
Last year there was a ban on G4 halogen bulbs in the EU and Switzerland. The lights under the kitchen cabinets as well as in the extractor hood are G4s. I have purchased several LED replacements, but so far no luck on getting them to work. Either they don't don't work, flicker, or are too large.

1. Is it reasonable to ask the reggie to replace the light fixtures if an alternative cannot be found?

2. I sent a message to the manufacturer of the hood to see if they have a solution or retrofit kit. If they do, should the reggie bear the cost of the retrofit since it is their appliance?

A couple of dumb questions, but better to you than annoy the reggie with them

Dan
Your fixtures are likely 12V, You cannot with most 12V fixtures simply replace the halogens with LED's

However the good news for you is that the ban is only on importing and producing and not on selling existing stock, many stores still have plenty in stock (some even build up big stocks) so you can just order a stock of proper halogen G4's.

They on average last about 2.000 hours (which on average use is about 2 yrs). So if you think you'll live here for 8 years and you have 6 fixtures you'll buy about 24, if you use them a lot you buy some more, if you use them little you buy some less. And you could do some extra to be certain you can hand over the house with functional lights.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank EdwinNL for this useful post:
  #5  
Old 16.05.2019, 17:48
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Geneva
Posts: 136
Groaned at 18 Times in 7 Posts
Thanked 59 Times in 26 Posts
Dan M has earned some respectDan M has earned some respect
Re: Halogen bulb ban

I have tried a lot of stores and many have run out or just stopped selling them. I will eventually have to face this issue, so might as well deal with it now.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 16.05.2019, 17:59
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Leimbach, Zürich
Posts: 5,037
Groaned at 294 Times in 231 Posts
Thanked 5,457 Times in 2,772 Posts
EdwinNL has a reputation beyond reputeEdwinNL has a reputation beyond reputeEdwinNL has a reputation beyond reputeEdwinNL has a reputation beyond reputeEdwinNL has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Halogen bulb ban

Quote:
View Post
I have tried a lot of stores and many have run out or just stopped selling them. I will eventually have to face this issue, so might as well deal with it now.
Can you have a look and place here the info to the exact lamps you need.

Like for example: G4, 12V, 20W or G4, 6V, 33W to just name some possibilities, and if any all other numbers you find on the bulbs.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 16.05.2019, 18:48
Tom1234's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Kanton Luzern
Posts: 13,065
Groaned at 397 Times in 314 Posts
Thanked 17,978 Times in 7,465 Posts
Tom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Halogen bulb ban

Reichelt has loads still.

Here's a page with lots of variations.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 16.05.2019, 20:56
3Wishes's Avatar
Moderately Amused
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Bern area
Posts: 8,920
Groaned at 50 Times in 48 Posts
Thanked 13,810 Times in 6,396 Posts
3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Halogen bulb ban

Quote:
View Post
Your fixtures are likely 12V, You cannot with most 12V fixtures simply replace the halogens with LED's

However the good news for you is that the ban is only on importing and producing and not on selling existing stock, many stores still have plenty in stock (some even build up big stocks) so you can just order a stock of proper halogen G4's.

They on average last about 2.000 hours (which on average use is about 2 yrs). So if you think you'll live here for 8 years and you have 6 fixtures you'll buy about 24, if you use them a lot you buy some more, if you use them little you buy some less. And you could do some extra to be certain you can hand over the house with functional lights.
^This. The glass that covers one of our G4 halogens recently broke. We went to the local appliance store to get new glass, only to be told that was not possible at any store because the technology is old.

Since LEDs are the thing now and they don't get hot, they don't need glass covers. The service rep said we cannot simply swap a G4 LED into the halogen due to the transformer issue. Article here that gets into it a bit more:
http://www.ledified.com.au/why-you-s...ogen-fittings/

The rep said we could keep using halogen bulbs if we had some on hand but he didn't recommend it without the protective glass. For new glass, our best option is to contact the manufacturer and hope they have some. For now, we're not even using a bulb in that fixture.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 16.05.2019, 21:11
marton's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Kt. Zürich
Posts: 10,612
Groaned at 348 Times in 299 Posts
Thanked 13,631 Times in 7,493 Posts
marton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Halogen bulb ban

Quote:
View Post
^This. The glass that covers one of our G4 halogens recently broke. We went to the local appliance store to get new glass, only to be told that was not possible at any store because the technology is old.

Since LEDs are the thing now and they don't get hot, they don't need glass covers. The service rep said we cannot simply swap a G4 LED into the halogen due to the transformer issue. Article here that gets into it a bit more:
http://www.ledified.com.au/why-you-s...ogen-fittings/

The rep said we could keep using halogen bulbs if we had some on hand but he didn't recommend it without the protective glass. For new glass, our best option is to contact the manufacturer and hope they have some. For now, we're not even using a bulb in that fixture.
If you find a suitable LED bulb to replace your halogen then they do not get hot. Consequently you can replace your glass cover with plastic.

Buy a transparent plastic tile from Migros DIY and they will cut it to size for you!
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank marton for this useful post:
  #10  
Old 16.05.2019, 21:19
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Zurich
Posts: 6,894
Groaned at 233 Times in 174 Posts
Thanked 14,498 Times in 4,982 Posts
k_and_e has a reputation beyond reputek_and_e has a reputation beyond reputek_and_e has a reputation beyond reputek_and_e has a reputation beyond reputek_and_e has a reputation beyond reputek_and_e has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Halogen bulb ban

Just order them on AliExpress: https://www.aliexpress.com/wholesale...ext=G4+halogen
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 16.05.2019, 21:37
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Leimbach, Zürich
Posts: 5,037
Groaned at 294 Times in 231 Posts
Thanked 5,457 Times in 2,772 Posts
EdwinNL has a reputation beyond reputeEdwinNL has a reputation beyond reputeEdwinNL has a reputation beyond reputeEdwinNL has a reputation beyond reputeEdwinNL has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Halogen bulb ban

Quote:
View Post
If you find a suitable LED bulb to replace your halogen then they do not get hot. Consequently you can replace your glass cover with plastic.

Buy a transparent plastic tile from Migros DIY and they will cut it to size for you!
He will not find a suitable LED bulb, unless he bypasses the transformator and switches to 230V, also after switching to LED no cover is needed.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 16.05.2019, 21:41
3Wishes's Avatar
Moderately Amused
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Bern area
Posts: 8,920
Groaned at 50 Times in 48 Posts
Thanked 13,810 Times in 6,396 Posts
3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Halogen bulb ban

Quote:
View Post
He will not find a suitable LED bulb, unless he bypasses the transformator and switches to 230V, also after switching to LED no cover is needed.
The rep suggested rather than faffing about with the halogen, we contact the regie and ask for a new setup with modern technology. Ha, I am sure that will go over well.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 16.05.2019, 21:41
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Leimbach, Zürich
Posts: 5,037
Groaned at 294 Times in 231 Posts
Thanked 5,457 Times in 2,772 Posts
EdwinNL has a reputation beyond reputeEdwinNL has a reputation beyond reputeEdwinNL has a reputation beyond reputeEdwinNL has a reputation beyond reputeEdwinNL has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Halogen bulb ban

Quote:
View Post
According to the rules they could seize the lamps and hand out a fine for importing forbidden goods

If might go well, but you'll never know for certain.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 16.05.2019, 21:42
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Leimbach, Zürich
Posts: 5,037
Groaned at 294 Times in 231 Posts
Thanked 5,457 Times in 2,772 Posts
EdwinNL has a reputation beyond reputeEdwinNL has a reputation beyond reputeEdwinNL has a reputation beyond reputeEdwinNL has a reputation beyond reputeEdwinNL has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Halogen bulb ban

Quote:
View Post
The rep suggested rather than faffing about with the halogen, we contact the regie and ask for a new setup with modern technology. Ha, I am sure that will go over well.
Oh yeah, unless it is an expensive designer lamp I'd personally just trash it.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 16.05.2019, 21:49
3Wishes's Avatar
Moderately Amused
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Bern area
Posts: 8,920
Groaned at 50 Times in 48 Posts
Thanked 13,810 Times in 6,396 Posts
3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Halogen bulb ban

Quote:
View Post
Oh yeah, unless it is an expensive designer lamp I'd personally just trash it.
Er, well. It's the fume hood above the cook top. The light is generally useful when cooking.

Apologies to OP for hijacking the thread.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank 3Wishes for this useful post:
  #16  
Old 16.05.2019, 22:12
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Zurich
Posts: 6,894
Groaned at 233 Times in 174 Posts
Thanked 14,498 Times in 4,982 Posts
k_and_e has a reputation beyond reputek_and_e has a reputation beyond reputek_and_e has a reputation beyond reputek_and_e has a reputation beyond reputek_and_e has a reputation beyond reputek_and_e has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Halogen bulb ban

Quote:
View Post
According to the rules they could seize the lamps and hand out a fine for importing forbidden goods

If might go well, but you'll never know for certain.
Then buy them in Obi in Switzerland:
https://www.obi.ch/niedervolt-haloge...pack/p/3840485
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 16.05.2019, 23:05
marton's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Kt. Zürich
Posts: 10,612
Groaned at 348 Times in 299 Posts
Thanked 13,631 Times in 7,493 Posts
marton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Halogen bulb ban

Quote:
View Post
He will not find a suitable LED bulb, unless he bypasses the transformator and switches to 230V, also after switching to LED no cover is needed.

Seem to be plenty around
Reply With Quote
This user groans at marton for this post:
  #18  
Old 16.05.2019, 23:10
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Leimbach, Zürich
Posts: 5,037
Groaned at 294 Times in 231 Posts
Thanked 5,457 Times in 2,772 Posts
EdwinNL has a reputation beyond reputeEdwinNL has a reputation beyond reputeEdwinNL has a reputation beyond reputeEdwinNL has a reputation beyond reputeEdwinNL has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Halogen bulb ban

Oh yeah, those LEDs will hold up great behind a transformator that was build to work for Halogen bulbs...

Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 16.05.2019, 23:13
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Leimbach, Zürich
Posts: 5,037
Groaned at 294 Times in 231 Posts
Thanked 5,457 Times in 2,772 Posts
EdwinNL has a reputation beyond reputeEdwinNL has a reputation beyond reputeEdwinNL has a reputation beyond reputeEdwinNL has a reputation beyond reputeEdwinNL has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Halogen bulb ban

Quote:
View Post
Then buy them in Obi in Switzerland:
https://www.obi.ch/niedervolt-haloge...pack/p/3840485
Current status of the topic.

We say they can be bought at a lot of places, OP says he can't find them eventho he looked at a lot of places, so we asked OP for the specifications and are now awaiting those to point him to a store that has them in stock.

Quote:
View Post
Er, well. It's the fume hood above the cook top. The light is generally useful when cooking.

Apologies to OP for hijacking the thread.
Trash it to replace it with a new lamp offc. would get dark at home if we only threw lamps away and never bought replacements
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 16.05.2019, 23:39
toastmonster's Avatar
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: ZUrich
Posts: 21
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 20 Times in 12 Posts
toastmonster has no particular reputation at present
Re: Halogen bulb ban

Hmmm, the problem I've found with the aliexpress route is that they all offer g4 in LED, but the tend to be 38mm+ for anything giving useful light output.

When you have a fitting that is designed for a 33mm halogen bulb, then they don't really work. I don't want the lights in the cooker hood to be open in order to fit a large bulb. It is so much simpler to clean a glass facing plate than the inside of a light fitting.

If anyone can shed some light on where to get a 20w+ equivalent G4 LED (5W+) bulb from aliexpress etc that is only 33mm max then please inform and let us all share the benefits. These are the last lights I have that still run halogen due to the form factor restriction and I would love to replace them, but so far I haven't found anything suitable.
Reply With Quote
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Downgrading Xenon to Halogen for inspection piyohiko Transportation/driving 13 07.07.2016 15:55
halogen/led lamp questions. edot Housing in general 11 02.06.2016 14:03
Halogen to LED Phos Housing in general 13 18.08.2015 20:55
Halogen Bulb Burnout Textoch Daily life 8 22.08.2012 10:41
Halogen oven gourmet Food and drink 3 07.06.2011 22:03


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 11:35.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0