Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Housing in general  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21  
Old 22.10.2019, 11:16
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Lugano
Posts: 1,306
Groaned at 22 Times in 18 Posts
Thanked 1,580 Times in 725 Posts
LuganoPirate has a reputation beyond reputeLuganoPirate has a reputation beyond reputeLuganoPirate has a reputation beyond reputeLuganoPirate has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Handover soon and we might be missing a key

Quote:
I think the sensible option is to say nothing until the handover. If the Verwaltung / Management company believe there is a key missing, just say "Ah yes, my doofus husband lost it when he was swimming in the sea in Spain". This will ensure you just need to pay for another key to be cut by Kaba, rather than a whole system of locks being replaced. If you subsequently find it, chuck it in the sea.
I agree with the say nothing part if you don't trust them, and then see if they ask for the "missing" key. However even if you lost it in the sea they could still ask you to pay to change all the locks. It's a matter of security and also fair for the other tenants who live in the same block. Someone could claim to have lost the key and then come back to rob apartments or cellars having a good inside knowledge of the place, hoping no suspicion would fall on them as they no longer lived there.

I'm not for one moment suggesting the OP would do this but my advice is just be honest and give the matter to the insurance company who will know how to deal with it.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank LuganoPirate for this useful post:
  #22  
Old 22.10.2019, 11:23
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Handover soon and we might be missing a key

Quote:
View Post
I agree with the say nothing part if you don't trust them, and then see if they ask for the "missing" key. However even if you lost it in the sea they could still ask you to pay to change all the locks. It's a matter of security and also fair for the other tenants who live in the same block. Someone could claim to have lost the key and then come back to rob apartments or cellars having a good inside knowledge of the place, hoping no suspicion would fall on them as they no longer lived there.

I'm not for one moment suggesting the OP would do this but my advice is just be honest and give the matter to the insurance company who will know how to deal with it.
If there is solid reason to believe nobody could find the key, and even if they did they would be unable to identify where to use it, then you are certainly not liable to change all the locks in the building. Hence my suggestion to have lost it in a distant ocean with no other identifying info.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 22.10.2019, 12:09
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Lugano
Posts: 1,306
Groaned at 22 Times in 18 Posts
Thanked 1,580 Times in 725 Posts
LuganoPirate has a reputation beyond reputeLuganoPirate has a reputation beyond reputeLuganoPirate has a reputation beyond reputeLuganoPirate has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Handover soon and we might be missing a key

Quote:
If there is solid reason to believe nobody could find the key, and even if they did they would be unable to identify where to use it, then you are certainly not liable to change all the locks in the building. Hence my suggestion to have lost it in a distant ocean with no other identifying info.
Why should the verwaltung believe them? Perhaps there was a name or address on the key? Perhaps they left it in the door and someone took it? As a Verwaltung you cannot always believe the tenant, especially if they don't want to pay something.

As I said, let the insurance deal with it as they are the ones who will have to pay out.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 22.10.2019, 12:17
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Handover soon and we might be missing a key

Quote:
View Post
Why should the verwaltung believe them? Perhaps there was a name or address on the key? Perhaps they left it in the door and someone took it? As a Verwaltung you cannot always believe the tenant, especially if they don't want to pay something.

As I said, let the insurance deal with it as they are the ones who will have to pay out.
Why wouldn't the Verwaltung believe them? Surely any rational actor who had lost their key near their house, with identifying info, would already have contacted the Verwaltung to get the locks changed as they would run an increased risk of getting robbed, with a decreased likelihood of insurance paying as entrance was not forced.

I know pirates aren't necessarily recruited for their nouse, but try and engage the old noodle from time to time.
Reply With Quote
This user groans at for this post:
  #25  
Old 22.10.2019, 13:28
curley's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: canton ZH
Posts: 13,131
Groaned at 218 Times in 182 Posts
Thanked 15,264 Times in 7,847 Posts
curley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Handover soon and we might be missing a key

Quote:
Why wouldn't the Verwaltung believe them? Surely any rational actor who had lost their key near their house, with identifying info, would already have contacted the Verwaltung to get the locks changed as they would run an increased risk of getting robbed, with a decreased likelihood of insurance paying as entrance was not forced.

I know pirates aren't necessarily recruited for their nouse, but try and engage the old noodle from time to time.
And there it is again, the double standard.

If OP could have a problem, Verwaltung should be immediately informed, all actions taken.
If the "Nachmieter" could have a problem, no problem lying about having lost a key or where.

Or as they say here "Nach mir die Sintflut" (devil may care)-mentality.

And do call the honest people stupid..... after all, honesty is at least no longer en vogue.

edit: OP is not sure but should the Verwaltung have it documented, their still definitely croks and thiefs.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank curley for this useful post:
  #26  
Old 22.10.2019, 19:25
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Lugano
Posts: 1,306
Groaned at 22 Times in 18 Posts
Thanked 1,580 Times in 725 Posts
LuganoPirate has a reputation beyond reputeLuganoPirate has a reputation beyond reputeLuganoPirate has a reputation beyond reputeLuganoPirate has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Handover soon and we might be missing a key

Quote:
Why wouldn't the Verwaltung believe them? Surely any rational actor who had lost their key near their house, with identifying info, would already have contacted the Verwaltung to get the locks changed as they would run an increased risk of getting robbed, with a decreased likelihood of insurance paying as entrance was not forced.

I know pirates aren't necessarily recruited for their nouse, but try and engage the old noodle from time to time.
I think the one who needs to "engage the old noodle" is you. Why suggest a dishonest action which is completely unnecessary. Just be honest and upfront and let the insurance handle it if need be.

If one of my tenants loses a key, it's written in the contract the locks have to be changed as well as the cylinder to the front entrance. Fortunately with the KABA system it's not necessary for everyone else to change their keys.

And just for your information, which I accept may be a little difficult for you to comprehend seeing your replies above, I was not recruited by anyone, and the name "pirate" comes from my son's former rugby team!
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank LuganoPirate for this useful post:
This user groans at LuganoPirate for this post:
  #27  
Old 23.10.2019, 03:50
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Handover soon and we might be missing a key

Quote:
View Post
If one of my tenants loses a key, it's written in the contract the locks have to be changed as well as the cylinder to the front entrance. Fortunately with the KABA system it's not necessary for everyone else to change their keys.
Classic gouging BTL landlord behavior. More fool your tenants, I suppose. Caveat Emptor.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank for this useful post:
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Key Handover and Inspection (Buying) Spinal Housing in general 11 01.07.2019 21:26
Fingers crossed, we might be spared the EV song contest Sbrinz International affairs/politics 2 15.02.2017 19:49
Might be moving - should we do it? goldfishii Introductions 7 14.01.2013 09:31
hi everyone, moving soon and might need a bit of help.. BlackArt Introductions 3 09.08.2012 13:27
Is this how we'll all be doing our grocery shopping soon? Nickers Other/general 41 08.07.2011 18:09


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 21:50.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0