Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Housing in general  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 01.12.2019, 15:28
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Luzern
Posts: 48
Groaned at 3 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 25 Times in 14 Posts
memihai has no particular reputation at present
question renovate bath+kitchen

if buying an old apartment, my estimation is 80-100K just to completely renovate the bath and kitchen. just a rough estimate.
My wife thinks this is exaggerated.

I think for the bathroom for example no way that fixtures, tiles etc cost more than 10K together. But... removing the old tiles costs, the work for adding new tiles, having dry everything etc
Same as for kitchen..default kitchen plus appliances maybe 25K, unforeseen costs, garbage, taking out the old kitchen, plumbing, electricat, at lease 15K. So I thing actually 50K for the kitchen would be not very far from the truth.

If I imagine saving for the renovation works, then 100K would be 1K every month for almost 10y. Not really little.
Am I too pessimistic?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 01.12.2019, 16:00
Island Monkey's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Wallis
Posts: 3,738
Groaned at 66 Times in 35 Posts
Thanked 3,381 Times in 1,655 Posts
Island Monkey has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Monkey has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Monkey has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Monkey has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Monkey has a reputation beyond repute
Re: question renovate bath+kitchen

Depends on the size of the kitchen and bathroom. We have had quotes for fully replacing our kitchen. Maybe it's about 6m of wall length total, so not massive. Quotes were between 17k and 29k for everything (removal, disposal etc) apart from the plumber and electrician costs.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 01.12.2019, 21:44
Ace1's Avatar
A singular modality
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Morgins, VS
Posts: 7,677
Groaned at 291 Times in 188 Posts
Thanked 12,408 Times in 5,485 Posts
Ace1 has a reputation beyond reputeAce1 has a reputation beyond reputeAce1 has a reputation beyond reputeAce1 has a reputation beyond reputeAce1 has a reputation beyond reputeAce1 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: question renovate bath+kitchen

Quote:
View Post
if buying an old apartment, my estimation is 80-100K just to completely renovate the bath and kitchen. just a rough estimate.
My wife thinks this is exaggerated.

I think for the bathroom for example no way that fixtures, tiles etc cost more than 10K together. But... removing the old tiles costs, the work for adding new tiles, having dry everything etc
Same as for kitchen..default kitchen plus appliances maybe 25K, unforeseen costs, garbage, taking out the old kitchen, plumbing, electricat, at lease 15K. So I thing actually 50K for the kitchen would be not very far from the truth.

If I imagine saving for the renovation works, then 100K would be 1K every month for almost 10y. Not really little.
Am I too pessimistic?
Depends. If you're going for top spec, exotic materials, custom-made, etc. then 50k for a kitchen is achievable, but at the mother end if it's a standard shape and size you might be able to pick one up from somewhere like Lipo for as little as 3 or 4 thousand, plus a couple of days labour costs to fit it. Certainly under 10 grand is also achievable.

FWIW I've just installed an Ikea kitchen in one flat, which was very limited for space, but very happy with the result. Cost of materials was just over 2k for the Ikea stuff and a paltry 500 or so for cannily-sourced appliances off Anibis and Amazon. Took me far longer to fit than a professional, with a lot of learnings made en route, but the next one I'd hope to be able to put in within a week or so, with some helping hands.
__________________
Introduce yourself!
Reply With Quote
The following 4 users would like to thank Ace1 for this useful post:
  #4  
Old 01.12.2019, 21:51
Phil_MCR's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Basel
Posts: 13,504
Groaned at 269 Times in 175 Posts
Thanked 16,019 Times in 6,799 Posts
Phil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond repute
Re: question renovate bath+kitchen

Quote:
View Post
Depends. If you're going for top spec, exotic materials, custom-made, etc. then 50k for a kitchen is achievable, but at the mother end if it's a standard shape and size you might be able to pick one up from somewhere like Lipo for as little as 3 or 4 thousand, plus a couple of days labour costs to fit it. Certainly under 10 grand is also achievable.

FWIW I've just installed an Ikea kitchen in one flat, which was very limited for space, but very happy with the result. Cost of materials was just over 2k for the Ikea stuff and a paltry 500 or so for cannily-sourced appliances off Anibis and Amazon. Took me far longer to fit than a professional, with a lot of learnings made en route, but the next one I'd hope to be able to put in within a week or so, with some helping hands.
how long did it take you?
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 01.12.2019, 22:02
Ace1's Avatar
A singular modality
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Morgins, VS
Posts: 7,677
Groaned at 291 Times in 188 Posts
Thanked 12,408 Times in 5,485 Posts
Ace1 has a reputation beyond reputeAce1 has a reputation beyond reputeAce1 has a reputation beyond reputeAce1 has a reputation beyond reputeAce1 has a reputation beyond reputeAce1 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: question renovate bath+kitchen

Quote:
View Post
how long did it take you?
Didn;t count it up in hours, but I did it over the course of about three weeks, with some days full on and others doing nothing at all, mostly more like 4-5 hours a day. But also doing other renovation work in the same period.

So what, a hundred hours, perhaps? and maybe around twenty from my other half for the jobs that needed two pairs of hands. Worth bearing in mind that this was very much a non-standard size, so a fair bit of cutting to fit was included.

Knowing what I know now I'd expect it to take around half of that. Only putting the units in once, for example, instead of pulling several of them out to redo something better would help, for a start.
__________________
Introduce yourself!
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Ace1 for this useful post:
  #6  
Old 01.12.2019, 22:11
Phil_MCR's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Basel
Posts: 13,504
Groaned at 269 Times in 175 Posts
Thanked 16,019 Times in 6,799 Posts
Phil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond repute
Re: question renovate bath+kitchen

Quote:
View Post
Didn;t count it up in hours, but I did it over the course of about three weeks, with some days full on and others doing nothing at all, mostly more like 4-5 hours a day. But also doing other renovation work in the same period.

So what, a hundred hours, perhaps? and maybe around twenty from my other half for the jobs that needed two pairs of hands. Worth bearing in mind that this was very much a non-standard size, so a fair bit of cutting to fit was included.

Knowing what I know now I'd expect it to take around half of that. Only putting the units in once, for example, instead of pulling several of them out to redo something better would help, for a start.
doesn't sound too bad. which parts were the most surprisingly time consuming?
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 01.12.2019, 22:22
fatmanfilms's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Verbier
Posts: 18,214
Groaned at 291 Times in 240 Posts
Thanked 15,931 Times in 8,860 Posts
fatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond repute
Re: question renovate bath+kitchen

Quote:
View Post
how long did it take you?
I have put in Ikea kitchen's in in a couple of days, about 3 meters of base & wall units 2/3 of the time is building the Units. Pluming & electrics 1/2 day on top of that but thats probably not allowed in CH
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 01.12.2019, 22:27
Island Monkey's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Wallis
Posts: 3,738
Groaned at 66 Times in 35 Posts
Thanked 3,381 Times in 1,655 Posts
Island Monkey has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Monkey has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Monkey has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Monkey has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Monkey has a reputation beyond repute
Re: question renovate bath+kitchen

Quote:
View Post
I have put in Ikea kitchen's in in a couple of days, about 3 meters of base & wall units 2/3 of the time is building the Units. Pluming & electrics 1/2 day on top of that but thats probably not allowed in CH
Wish I had the skills to plan and fit a kitchen
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank Island Monkey for this useful post:
  #9  
Old 01.12.2019, 22:42
Ace1's Avatar
A singular modality
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Morgins, VS
Posts: 7,677
Groaned at 291 Times in 188 Posts
Thanked 12,408 Times in 5,485 Posts
Ace1 has a reputation beyond reputeAce1 has a reputation beyond reputeAce1 has a reputation beyond reputeAce1 has a reputation beyond reputeAce1 has a reputation beyond reputeAce1 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: question renovate bath+kitchen

Quote:
View Post
doesn't sound too bad. which parts were the most surprisingly time consuming?
The first tall unit, cutting it down from 220cm to fit the 206cm height, fitting the oven and fridge into it (not designed for both) cutting extra bits of door material to fill gaps/lengthen doors, all not helped by the 45cm high combi oven and similarly the half-height dishwasher.




Quote:
View Post
I have put in Ikea kitchen's in in a couple of days, about 3 meters of base & wall units 2/3 of the time is building the Units. Pluming & electrics 1/2 day on top of that but thats probably not allowed in CH
Sure it is. I did have an electrician in to changer a couple of circuits from 3-phase to single, but he was happy that I'd do some of the wiring, and certainly installing the sockets and switches, myself. He did a quick test of the new circuit after he'd fitted the new interrupter, but that wasn't required from the perspective of having done it myself.

Plumbing was a doddle anyway, but I can't see any reason why you might not be allowed to do it yourself.

Quote:
View Post
Wish I had the skills to plan and fit a kitchen
They do a good planning service in store at Ikea, with a decent toolkit to help the process, and will happily spend the two or three hours it takes to get all the details right. Very helpful, they were, although we ended up with just a few items spare, which I'll be returning this week.
__________________
Introduce yourself!
Reply With Quote
The following 4 users would like to thank Ace1 for this useful post:
  #10  
Old 02.12.2019, 09:44
Phil_MCR's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Basel
Posts: 13,504
Groaned at 269 Times in 175 Posts
Thanked 16,019 Times in 6,799 Posts
Phil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond repute
Re: question renovate bath+kitchen

Quote:
View Post
The first tall unit, cutting it down from 220cm to fit the 206cm height, fitting the oven and fridge into it (not designed for both) cutting extra bits of door material to fill gaps/lengthen doors, all not helped by the 45cm high combi oven and similarly the half-height dishwasher.






Sure it is. I did have an electrician in to changer a couple of circuits from 3-phase to single, but he was happy that I'd do some of the wiring, and certainly installing the sockets and switches, myself. He did a quick test of the new circuit after he'd fitted the new interrupter, but that wasn't required from the perspective of having done it myself.

Plumbing was a doddle anyway, but I can't see any reason why you might not be allowed to do it yourself.



They do a good planning service in store at Ikea, with a decent toolkit to help the process, and will happily spend the two or three hours it takes to get all the details right. Very helpful, they were, although we ended up with just a few items spare, which I'll be returning this week.
You had a lot of fiddly bits to do. I guess it would have all gone in quicker if you didn't have to modify units and had standard sized appliances.

Regarding plumbing, I agree that you should be able to do this yourself. But I'm not so sure on electrics: i would have thought that you'd need at least some kind of certification of the work where electricity is going to be close to water - but I would be happy to be proved wrong!
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 02.12.2019, 10:54
Mrs. Doolittle's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Aargau
Posts: 6,008
Groaned at 120 Times in 87 Posts
Thanked 7,036 Times in 3,327 Posts
Mrs. Doolittle has a reputation beyond reputeMrs. Doolittle has a reputation beyond reputeMrs. Doolittle has a reputation beyond reputeMrs. Doolittle has a reputation beyond reputeMrs. Doolittle has a reputation beyond reputeMrs. Doolittle has a reputation beyond repute
Re: question renovate bath+kitchen

Renovation costs can vary widely not only because of the size of the room, but ripping out the old can sometimes lead to some unexpected suprises.

If you plan to change the layout of the room, this will likely involve more electrical and plumbing work than if you just replace old with new in the existing place in the room.

You can save money if you can rip out the old things yourself. Disposal fees are unavoidable, and if your are in an apartment, it could be difficult for you to arrange a dumpster depending on the exact situation of your unit. Another thing to consider is that you are responsible for keeping the common areas of the building clean during the renovation.

Renovating in a house is very different to an apartment. You likely have to inform other residents in advance and possibly obtain permission. You must absolutely respect the noise rules.

In your shoes I would look for a general contractor, they have the contacts and the know how to get the work done.
__________________

Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Mrs. Doolittle for this useful post:
  #12  
Old 02.12.2019, 11:32
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: CH
Posts: 8,372
Groaned at 270 Times in 219 Posts
Thanked 10,981 Times in 5,835 Posts
greenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond repute
Re: question renovate bath+kitchen

Quote:
View Post
if buying an old apartment, my estimation is 80-100K just to completely renovate the bath and kitchen. just a rough estimate.
My wife thinks this is exaggerated.
Have you already bought the apartment? If not yet, it's better to consider all these costs before buying. If it's an old building and the apartment hasn't been renovated for a long time you don't know what other (structural) flaws you may find beneath all those tiles and floors etc. and how the costs can increase even beyond a reasonably large budget...
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 02.12.2019, 11:32
Ace1's Avatar
A singular modality
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Morgins, VS
Posts: 7,677
Groaned at 291 Times in 188 Posts
Thanked 12,408 Times in 5,485 Posts
Ace1 has a reputation beyond reputeAce1 has a reputation beyond reputeAce1 has a reputation beyond reputeAce1 has a reputation beyond reputeAce1 has a reputation beyond reputeAce1 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: question renovate bath+kitchen

Quote:
View Post
But I'm not so sure on electrics: i would have thought that you'd need at least some kind of certification of the work where electricity is going to be close to water - but I would be happy to be proved wrong!
The rules about water and power have been linked to here in the past, but there's no concept of needing a 3rd-party certificate to confirm that you've abided by them.

As I mentioned in this case I needed an electrician to change a couple of circuits over to single phase, and he would only do so if I replaced an existing white wire with a 2.5mm blue one, and that new sockets I fitted on those circuits were ones with square pin ones suitable for a 16A supply (which he even supplied for me to fit) but this is about ensuring his own work conforms, as he was connecting those circuits up. And again there's no concept of a certificate for the new wor I did.

Periodic inspections are required, or when selling a house, but are a different thing, nothing to do with new work, just ensuring that there aren't any visibly broken sockets or boxes or loose wires and that a circuit check is done on each outlet.

Quote:
View Post

You can save money if you can rip out the old things yourself. Disposal fees are unavoidable, and if your are in an apartment, it could be difficult for you to arrange a dumpster depending on the exact situation of your unit.
I accept that if you're a city/apartment dweller then you might be find that paying disposal fees is the best or only workable solution, but if you have a suitable vehicle and other logistics can be made to work there's no reason this needs to be the case.
__________________
Introduce yourself!
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 02.12.2019, 12:43
Today only's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Europe
Posts: 8,146
Groaned at 897 Times in 614 Posts
Thanked 10,151 Times in 4,834 Posts
Today only has a reputation beyond reputeToday only has a reputation beyond reputeToday only has a reputation beyond reputeToday only has a reputation beyond reputeToday only has a reputation beyond reputeToday only has a reputation beyond repute
Re: question renovate bath+kitchen

The actual cost is a bout the same as it cost's to buy a piece of string.....
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 02.12.2019, 13:35
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Luzern
Posts: 48
Groaned at 3 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 25 Times in 14 Posts
memihai has no particular reputation at present
Re: question renovate bath+kitchen

Quote:
View Post
Have you already bought the apartment? If not yet, it's better to consider all these costs before buying. If it's an old building and the apartment hasn't been renovated for a long time you don't know what other (structural) flaws you may find beneath all those tiles and floors etc. and how the costs can increase even beyond a reasonably large budget...
no, no buying in sight. but just wondering (I see there are many old apartments coming on the market)

what kind of structural flaws do you mean?
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 02.12.2019, 13:36
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Luzern
Posts: 48
Groaned at 3 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 25 Times in 14 Posts
memihai has no particular reputation at present
Re: question renovate bath+kitchen

Quote:
View Post
Renovation costs can vary widely not only because of the size of the room, but ripping out the old can sometimes lead to some unexpected suprises.

If you plan to change the layout of the room, this will likely involve more electrical and plumbing work than if you just replace old with new in the existing place in the room.

You can save money if you can rip out the old things yourself. Disposal fees are unavoidable, and if your are in an apartment, it could be difficult for you to arrange a dumpster depending on the exact situation of your unit. Another thing to consider is that you are responsible for keeping the common areas of the building clean during the renovation.

Renovating in a house is very different to an apartment. You likely have to inform other residents in advance and possibly obtain permission. You must absolutely respect the noise rules.

In your shoes I would look for a general contractor, they have the contacts and the know how to get the work done.
What kind of costs would be incurred for the general contractor, more than the separate costs added?
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank memihai for this useful post:
  #17  
Old 02.12.2019, 13:59
Today only's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Europe
Posts: 8,146
Groaned at 897 Times in 614 Posts
Thanked 10,151 Times in 4,834 Posts
Today only has a reputation beyond reputeToday only has a reputation beyond reputeToday only has a reputation beyond reputeToday only has a reputation beyond reputeToday only has a reputation beyond reputeToday only has a reputation beyond repute
Re: question renovate bath+kitchen

Quote:
View Post
What kind of costs would be incurred for the general contractor, more than the separate costs added?

How long is a piece of string again ?


Without seeing it, checking it, knowing approximately what you want and what quality you are expecting, it is imposible to tell you anything.


I can by the 5 kitchen appliances (hob, extracteurm oven, dischwasher & fridge) for less than Chf 2k, i can also spend Chf 20k.


All going well, no problems encountered, all work carried out by companies, a kitchen will cost from Chf 25-50k, a bathroom from Chf 18-30k, all very approximate......
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 02.12.2019, 14:49
Ace1's Avatar
A singular modality
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Morgins, VS
Posts: 7,677
Groaned at 291 Times in 188 Posts
Thanked 12,408 Times in 5,485 Posts
Ace1 has a reputation beyond reputeAce1 has a reputation beyond reputeAce1 has a reputation beyond reputeAce1 has a reputation beyond reputeAce1 has a reputation beyond reputeAce1 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: question renovate bath+kitchen

Quote:
View Post

In your shoes I would look for a general contractor, they have the contacts and the know how to get the work done.
Does this concept really exist here?

Quote:
View Post
What kind of costs would be incurred for the general contractor, more than the separate costs added?
If you're getting someone to install it for you then I would expect them to do any coordination required, so it shouldn't incur additional costs, but it you're using someone specifically as a project manager who're not actually doing the work themselves then you're paying just for their time on top of the actual work to be done.

I wouldn't go down that route myself, but certainly have made sure that the main worker in any instance is going to make sure any others are organised properly. For example the heating people currently drilling holes for radiator piping in the ground floor will coordinate the elecrician and the chimney installer and anyone else required. That's their job, and there shouldn't be any need for anyone else to be involved at that level.
__________________
Introduce yourself!
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Ace1 for this useful post:
  #19  
Old 02.12.2019, 15:56
Today only's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Europe
Posts: 8,146
Groaned at 897 Times in 614 Posts
Thanked 10,151 Times in 4,834 Posts
Today only has a reputation beyond reputeToday only has a reputation beyond reputeToday only has a reputation beyond reputeToday only has a reputation beyond reputeToday only has a reputation beyond reputeToday only has a reputation beyond repute
Re: question renovate bath+kitchen

Quote:
View Post
Does this concept really exist here?



If you're getting someone to install it for you then I would expect them to do any coordination required, so it shouldn't incur additional costs, but it you're using someone specifically as a project manager who're not actually doing the work themselves then you're paying just for their time on top of the actual work to be done.

I wouldn't go down that route myself, but certainly have made sure that the main worker in any instance is going to make sure any others are organised properly. For example the heating people currently drilling holes for radiator piping in the ground floor will coordinate the elecrician and the chimney installer and anyone else required. That's their job, and there shouldn't be any need for anyone else to be involved at that level.



The concept exists and for somebody who really doesn't quite know what they are doing it will almost certainly result in the best outcome.


A general contractor will or should take responsabilty to get the job finished, on time and in budget...theoretically
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank Today only for this useful post:
  #20  
Old 03.12.2019, 11:12
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Luzern
Posts: 48
Groaned at 3 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 25 Times in 14 Posts
memihai has no particular reputation at present
Re: question renovate bath+kitchen

Yes I also believe so... especially if you are working and not at home during all the renovation works...
Reply With Quote
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Buy a house and renovate it(?) asus14 Housing in general 22 24.02.2014 21:23
Kitchen is bad shape and the agency refuse to renovate:Advice needed kashif Housing in general 19 27.04.2012 14:14
Asking a landlord to renovate kitchen before we move in? Ohio Housing in general 6 19.01.2012 21:36
Glass Kitchen Surface Question Powerlauer Housing in general 5 21.05.2011 13:51
Where to find houses to renovate? GVAbound Housing in general 13 11.02.2011 18:24


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 04:36.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0