English Forum Switzerland

English Forum Switzerland (https://www.englishforum.ch/forum.php)
-   Housing in general (https://www.englishforum.ch/housing-general/)
-   -   I understand rules are rules but... (https://www.englishforum.ch/housing-general/296776-i-understand-rules-rules-but.html)

justintheexpat 16.02.2020 18:41

I understand rules are rules but...
 
Hi Everyone.

I hope you are well.

I am looking for a cheaper apartment because I currently can't really afford to it.
I had to take this one otherwise I would have been sleeping rough lol.

I understand that in Switzerland you have to pay a few months rent notice period. I completely get that and that is completely understandable but what happens when you can not afford to do so?

I feel like I am currently trapped like a prisoner now if I am honest my rent is 1350 CHF for a one roomer in Basel is crazy when I see so many better and cheaper ones. My apartment isn't bad I just need more space ideally.

Why do I get so much hate on this forum just asking for advice I don't interact a lot because I am often on my iPhone and I hate sending lengthy messages to people.

Have a great day everyone.

Guest 16.02.2020 18:53

Re: I understand rules are rules but...
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by justintheexpat (Post 3148871)
I understand that in Switzerland you have to pay a few months rent notice period. I completely get that and that is completely understandable but what happens when you can not afford to do so?

1. Talk to the landlord perhaps they have somebody to take-over or want to renovate and you have a lot of luck since you can walk out easily.
2. Find a nachmieter.
3. Get a debt with all consequences that can come with such.

Medea Fleecestealer 16.02.2020 18:53

Re: I understand rules are rules but...
 
Then you look to rent a room via something like wgzimmer.com or sublet a room from someone. Though that's unlikely to solve your space problem. Still do that for a few months while you save up enough money for a deposit on a new apartment.

Island Monkey 16.02.2020 19:00

Re: I understand rules are rules but...
 
Yesterday you liked your apartment, but had a problem with it being dirty.

Today you canít afford it........

:confused:

Chuff 16.02.2020 19:06

Re: I understand rules are rules but...
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by justintheexpat (Post 3148871)
Hi Everyone.

I hope you are well.

I am looking for a cheaper apartment because I currently can't really afford to it.
I had to take this one otherwise I would have been sleeping rough lol.

I understand that in Switzerland you have to pay a few months rent notice period. I completely get that and that is completely understandable but what happens when you can not afford to do so?

I feel like I am currently trapped like a prisoner now if I am honest my rent is 1350 CHF for a one roomer in Basel is crazy when I see so many better and cheaper ones. My apartment isn't bad I just need more space ideally.

Why do I get so much hate on this forum just asking for advice I don't interact a lot because I am often on my iPhone and I hate sending lengthy messages to people.

Have a great day everyone.

It's amazing how for someone with dyslexia your posts are continuing to improve to the point where it seems like you don't actually have dyslexia. That's some great autocorrect at work there.

Considering your previous threads, and the continual changes in story and character, I am calling attention-seeker or troll.

doropfiz 16.02.2020 19:10

Re: I understand rules are rules but...
 
You can get out of a rental contract
  • by giving notice within the prescribed notice period, and paying rent up until the end, OR
  • by supplying your landlord all the formal details of another person who would like to rent the place, instead of you, from an earlier date.

If you're unsure how to go about this, you can get help from the Mieterverband (Tenants' Association), recommended on your other thread about your apartment: https://www.englishforum.ch/3148637-post9.html

starDeMer 16.02.2020 19:19

Re: I understand rules are rules but...
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by justintheexpat (Post 3148871)
Why do I get so much hate on this forum just asking for advice I don't interact a lot because I am often on my iPhone and I hate sending lengthy messages to people.

I check the precedent post you did, I didn't see any bad response.
You had plenty of helpful messages.

Also, it it the following of this
https://www.englishforum.ch/housing-...ipped-off.html
Why opening a new one?

doropfiz 16.02.2020 19:22

Re: I understand rules are rules but...
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by justintheexpat (Post 3148871)
Why do I get so much hate on this forum just asking for advice I don't interact a lot because I am often on my iPhone and I hate sending lengthy messages to people.

It is, of course, your full right not to interact a lot. Nevertheless, you have received a lot of practical suggestions in your various threads, and several offers of help both in your threads and behind the scenes.

You're completely free to choose whether or not you want to take anyone up on their suggestions and offers.
  • If you don't want to, that's fine, that's your choice, and okay. That's the great thing about fora... one can read a lot of ideas, and pick out any which appeal, and leave out the rest.

  • If Chuff is right (and he may well be) and you're just trolling, that'd be a sad way to spend your time, and annoying to others.

  • Some people here continue to try to answer your questions just in case the reason you are not getting it together is because you are unable to cope (because of the trauma you've been through, and because life can be hard, especially when one is lonely, far away from home, and doesn't have enough money). If you feel you just can't face anything, then all the more so, I hope you can muster the strength to start somewhere (you don't have to fix everything at once, just one small step to begin) to get the help you need.

I wish you peace and courage.

MusicChick 16.02.2020 19:36

Re: I understand rules are rules but...
 
I always thought that the dossiers are inspected by regies so much that it is impossible to not be able to afford a place they rent you. Did you have unexpected expences? Do you need help overlooking your finances? The canton here advertises social curators positions all over, it looks really useful. These volunteers are handpicked by gov, I'd imagine they do a good job. Could you ask for one? So you get a bit of privacy as opposed to public forum..

ZuriRollt 16.02.2020 21:11

Re: I understand rules are rules but...
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by justintheexpat (Post 3148871)
Hi Everyone.

I hope you are well.

I am looking for a cheaper apartment because I currently can't really afford to it.
I had to take this one otherwise I would have been sleeping rough lol.

I understand that in Switzerland you have to pay a few months rent notice period. I completely get that and that is completely understandable but what happens when you can not afford to do so?

All post offices advertise this service, where instead of paying a couple of months rental as a deposit, you pay a yearly insurance premium. I did it, years ago. And so my money is not tied-up, but financially not sure anymore if it makes sense, as Iíve now been in the same home since about 14 years:

https://www.swisscaution.ch/en/

omtatsat 17.02.2020 07:02

Re: I understand rules are rules but...
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by justintheexpat (Post 3148871)
Hi Everyone.

I hope you are well.

I am looking for a cheaper apartment because I currently can't really afford to it.
I had to take this one otherwise I would have been sleeping rough lol.

I understand that in Switzerland you have to pay a few months rent notice period. I completely get that and that is completely understandable but what happens when you can not afford to do so?

I feel like I am currently trapped like a prisoner now if I am honest my rent is 1350 CHF for a one roomer in Basel is crazy when I see so many better and cheaper ones. My apartment isn't bad I just need more space ideally.

Why do I get so much hate on this forum just asking for advice I don't interact a lot because I am often on my iPhone and I hate sending lengthy messages to people.

Have a great day everyone.


The answers obvious. Get off that iPhone and take charge of your life.

Cherub 17.02.2020 11:05

Re: I understand rules are rules but...
 
To EF members, no Miss Marple but I have spent a little bit of time going through the OPs previous posts and they appear to be a bit contradictary. At one point he claims he works in business and has to wear a suit every day. If that is the case would his income only be 2000chf after tax and why is he asking if he is able to get help from the Swiss benefits system?

There is also a post about being caught not paying tram fares and being fined, he says he is unable to do a bank transfer for this as he doesn't know how to (really, someone who works in business?), also he is in the UK at that point but has stated in another post if he goes back to the UK he'll die. I could go on.

To Justin, if you are genuine and have the number of issues you claim, I would suggest perhaps Switzerland is not the best place for you due to the plethora of rules and regulations here. Whichever way you look at it, those of us who are guests in Switzerland have to fall in line with them, the longer you stay here the easier it becomes to do so. I feel you would find more help back in the UK, especially if you are as depressed, lonely and have as many issues as you claim. I lived in London for 20 years and know first hand moving to a new city is never easy and very lonely so finding the right support system and friends is mega important. Moving to a completely different country and having to give up work in my mid 50s was an alien thing for me, but I've found the ways and means to enjoy life here.

However, if you are perhaps someone who is just posting dubious stuff on this board for fun, then I would perhaps consider moving on elsewhere. People here have given you an awful lot of advice that you seem to choose to ignore and their energies would be better spent on newcomers who will be really grateful for the expertise the long term posters on this board can offer.

Axa 17.02.2020 11:42

Re: I understand rules are rules but...
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by justintheexpat (Post 3148871)
I am looking for a cheaper apartment because I currently can't really afford to it. I had to take this one otherwise I would have been sleeping rough lol.

Are renting an apartment and rough-sleeping the only options? Is flat-sharing not an option? There's a reason why people shares flats and it's not because flatmates are lovable.

Feeling trapped like a prisoner? Welcome to adult life and contracts :D Stop by your local bar, talk to others and you'll find you're not alone .

doropfiz 17.02.2020 12:28

Re: I understand rules are rules but...
 
Thank you, Cherub, for taking the trouble to read Justin's posts, and for your gentle but firm post. I agree that Justin's posts seem inconsistent. This could cause many people simply to walk away from trying to help him, and I completely get that. Maybe he's simply, as you say, "posting dubious stuff", and it is difficult to know. The reason I'm still around on this thread is just in case, just in case, Justin's all for real.

One of the effects of depression can a confusing tension between knowing that one ought to be getting one's matters organised, but lacking the drive to just do it.

One of the possible consequences of severe trauma (as he says he had, from being almost killed in an assault to his head), is exactly this odd kind of mixed message. On one hand the sufferer can become emotionally vulnerable and genuinely needy. On the other, dismissing and rejecting advice and help can [at least temporarily] seem to restore a sense of at least some autonomy.

Unfortunalely, that's circular, and I think the only way to actually progress is to face the need and dare to take on someone's suggestions/help, at least in one area of one's life. Then, that can start, to make things better.

bigblue2 17.02.2020 12:44

Re: I understand rules are rules but...
 
no way someone earning 2k a month would be accepted to rent an appartment costing 1300 a month.

as the op is constantly moaning about being poor, disabled, attacked etc I suspect there will be / has been begging pm's being sent

Susie-Q 17.02.2020 12:45

Re: I understand rules are rules but...
 
Depression and other mental health disorders can also cause a poor grasp of reality. Bipolar disorder can cause individuals to make up completely false stories which seem very real to them. To me, it seems Justin might need some mental health support, especially since he has already mentioned he is depressed. I know it is hard to be patient, but perhaps consider this before bashing the guy.

doropfiz 17.02.2020 12:51

Re: I understand rules are rules but...
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Susie-Q (Post 3149009)
I know it is hard to be patient, but perhaps consider this before bashing the guy.

Yes, this. We just don't know how real or how troubled or how trolling Justin might be.

If the inconsistencies in Justin's posts bother you (that's the impersonal "you", i.e. "anyone"), then you could just stop reading his threads. I agree with Susie-Q, let's please not bash the guy. Not at all, because it is rude so to do, even if he's trolling. But more especially because if he is for real, then he is clearly in serious need... of something... we just don't really seem to know what, exactly, would bring about any positive change. Thank you.

Chuff 17.02.2020 12:58

Re: I understand rules are rules but...
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cherub (Post 3148990)
To EF members, no Miss Marple but I have spent a little bit of time going through the OPs previous posts and they appear to be a bit contradictary. At one point he claims he works in business and has to wear a suit every day. If that is the case would his income only be 2000chf after tax and why is he asking if he is able to get help from the Swiss benefits system?

There is also a post about being caught not paying tram fares and being fined, he says he is unable to do a bank transfer for this as he doesn't know how to (really, someone who works in business?), also he is in the UK at that point but has stated in another post if he goes back to the UK he'll die. I could go on.

To Justin, if you are genuine and have the number of issues you claim, I would suggest perhaps Switzerland is not the best place for you due to the plethora of rules and regulations here. Whichever way you look at it, those of us who are guests in Switzerland have to fall in line with them, the longer you stay here the easier it becomes to do so. I feel you would find more help back in the UK, especially if you are as depressed, lonely and have as many issues as you claim. I lived in London for 20 years and know first hand moving to a new city is never easy and very lonely so finding the right support system and friends is mega important. Moving to a completely different country and having to give up work in my mid 50s was an alien thing for me, but I've found the ways and means to enjoy life here.

However, if you are perhaps someone who is just posting dubious stuff on this board for fun, then I would perhaps consider moving on elsewhere. People here have given you an awful lot of advice that you seem to choose to ignore and their energies would be better spent on newcomers who will be really grateful for the expertise the long term posters on this board can offer.

Yup same thoughts I had too... few of his stories make sense or are consistent so I think he is either a fantasist, attention-seeker or troll.

Plus, we once had a very famous ex-member called Justin who spent a lot of time and effort making multiple accounts with threads not completely dissimilar to these where he was pretending to be multiple different people...

Quote:

Originally Posted by doropfiz (Post 3149006)
Thank you, Cherub, for taking the trouble to read Justin's posts, and for your gentle but firm post. I agree that Justin's posts seem inconsistent. This could cause many people simply to walk away from trying to help him, and I completely get that. Maybe he's simply, as you say, "posting dubious stuff", and it is difficult to know. The reason I'm still around on this thread is just in case, just in case, Justin's all for real.

One of the effects of depression can a confusing tension between knowing that one ought to be getting one's matters organised, but lacking the drive to just do it.

One of the possible consequences of severe trauma (as he says he had, from being almost killed in an assault to his head), is exactly this odd kind of mixed message. On one hand the sufferer can become emotionally vulnerable and genuinely needy. On the other, dismissing and rejecting advice and help can [at least temporarily] seem to restore a sense of at least some autonomy.

Unfortunalely, that's circular, and I think the only way to actually progress is to face the need and dare to take on someone's suggestions/help, at least in one area of one's life. Then, that can start, to make things better.

Quote:

Originally Posted by doropfiz (Post 3149012)
Yes, this. We just don't know how real or how troubled or how trolling Justin might be.

If the inconsistencies in Justin's posts bother you (that's the impersonal "you", i.e. "anyone"), then you could just stop reading his threads. I agree with Susie-Q, let's please not bash the guy. Not at all, because it is rude so to do, even if he's trolling. But more especially because if he is for real, then he is clearly in serious need... of something... we just don't really seem to know what, exactly, would bring about any positive change. Thank you.

Wow doropfiz, you really are the absolute queen of Bliss Ninnies. :rofl:

doropfiz 17.02.2020 13:10

Re: I understand rules are rules but...
 
Oh? Well, as I hadn't heard the term "Bliss Ninnies" before, I went to look it up. It's certainly a concept I've never had attibuted to me before, at least not in Real Life.

Cherub 17.02.2020 13:57

Re: I understand rules are rules but...
 
I can totally empathise with mental illness having suffered 2 very bad bouts of depression myself, one at the age of 20 after the shock of my mother dying suddenly and the second at age 30 after losing my City job and moving to another bank I absolutely hated working in. I also suffered PTSD after 2 years of serious life threatening illness in my mid 40s and being treated with drugs where one of the major side effects was loss of cognitive function to the point where I could not remember a conversation 10 minutes after it took place.

Add to the mix a branch of my extended family has 2 members with severe bipolarism, one with severe OCD and another who is an alcoholic, so I have witnessed a lot of mental illness in my time; I also did voluntary work which brought me into contact with drug and alcohol abusers (with some abusing both).

I'm not here to be judge and jury and I really want to give the benefit of the doubt, but I also don't like to think this person could possibly be a time waster. If this is a genuine case then surely seeking out a forum dedicated to their emotional issues would be a better step forward?


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 04:49.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0