English Forum Switzerland

English Forum Switzerland (https://www.englishforum.ch/forum.php)
-   Housing in general (https://www.englishforum.ch/housing-general/)
-   -   Are we being bad neighbors? (https://www.englishforum.ch/housing-general/298837-we-being-bad-neighbors.html)

Tom1234 28.06.2020 14:24

Re: Are we being bad neighbors?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Dog (Post 3194624)
Nobody is expecting anyone to do anything except shown some courtesy and consideration when starting to cook outside at 9pm when the smells/smoke were obviously wafting straight into the apartment of the old (elderly?) neighbour. Still possible to eat at any time day or night without needing to cook outside

So what time should people eat and grill outside? I'd hate to think I've been doing it wrong all these years.

MusicChick 28.06.2020 14:50

Re: Are we being bad neighbors?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pancakes (Post 3194628)
Whenever I smell our neighbors' grilling, I just find myself wishing I could have some. :msnblush:

Yup, it's a good calorie-free and franc-free appetizer. :D

olygirl 28.06.2020 15:12

Re: Are we being bad neighbors?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom1234 (Post 3194653)
So what time should people eat and grill outside? I'd hate to think I've been doing it wrong all these years.

I think it all comes down to common sense. If you grill below your neighbor's bedroom, you might want to rethink grilling later at night. If your neighbors aren't bothered by your grilling, 9 o'clock is fine.

st2lemans 28.06.2020 16:00

Re: Are we being bad neighbors?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Dog (Post 3194624)
the old (elderly?) neighbour

Please define old/elderly. :eek:

Tom

Guest 28.06.2020 16:35

Re: Are we being bad neighbors?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by st2lemans (Post 3194673)
Please define old/elderly. :eek:

Tom


How would I know, not my neighbour but Susie Q typed "my sweet old neighbor" so you would have to ask her how she defines old. I put the word elderly in brackets with a ?

Kittster 28.06.2020 18:50

Re: Are we being bad neighbors?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by st2lemans (Post 3194381)
We regularly have dinner after 21 hours, sometimes after 22h.

But we're Swiss.

Tom

You may be Swiss but you are exceptionally self-centred and obstinately in your own bubble, making many if not most of your views on what is acceptable irrelevant at best.

Susie-Q 28.06.2020 19:32

Re: Are we being bad neighbors?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Dog (Post 3194624)
Nobody is expecting anyone to do anything except shown some courtesy and consideration when starting to cook outside at 9pm when the smells/smoke were obviously wafting straight into the apartment of the old (elderly?) neighbour. Still possible to eat at any time day or night without needing to cook outside

If you had actually read what I said, my grill is significantly far away from his window and he would only get a faint smell of it. Jeez - I wonder if some of you live in a cabin in the woods. Even then, you would complain that the bird in the tree above you sings too loud.

Quote:

Originally Posted by st2lemans (Post 3194673)
Please define old/elderly. :eek:

Tom

Haven’t asked - guessing 80+

roegner 28.06.2020 19:37

Re: Are we being bad neighbors?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Susie-Q (Post 3194738)
Even then, you would complain that the bird in the tree above you sings too loud.

Several court cases I read about because:

the church bells are too loud
the cow bells are too loud
the ducks quack too much
the rooster crows too early

Live and let live :-)

curley 28.06.2020 22:02

Re: Are we being bad neighbors?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Dog (Post 3194688)
How would I know, not my neighbour but Susie Q typed "my sweet old neighbor" so you would have to ask her how she defines old. I put the word elderly in brackets with a ?

Might be like "my old lady" = anything between 18 and 110.

Guest 29.06.2020 06:39

Re: Are we being bad neighbors?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Susie-Q (Post 3194738)
If you had actually read what I said, my grill is significantly far away from his window and he would only get a faint smell of it. Jeez - I wonder if some of you live in a cabin in the woods. Even then, you would complain that the bird in the tree above you sings too loud.


Haven’t asked - guessing 80+


You say he always shuts his window when you grill and what you took as a passive aggressive approach to you starting to grill at 9pm, I took as an elderly man bothered by it and not wanting to be confrontational. It is very easy to underestimate the level of smell/smoke that wafts in. My mother is a similar age and has respiratory problems so smoke and smells from grilling bother her. She also gets extremely tired by the end of the day, takes her medicine and is often in bed by 9pm. She also wouldn't complain but try to drop a couple of nice hints

Jeez, I wonder if some of you are so wrapped up in yourself that you are unable to show a little consideration for an elderly man who may have lived there much longer than you

greenmount 29.06.2020 07:09

Re: Are we being bad neighbors?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kittster (Post 3194727)
You may be Swiss but you are exceptionally self-centred and obstinately in your own bubble, making many if not most of your views on what is acceptable irrelevant at best.

Surprised he didn't groan your post.....:D

He's Swiss and Swiss and his wife and his wife.....I...just...can't...anymore. I put him on my ignore list again. This time for good. It's just silly.

omtatsat 29.06.2020 07:52

Re: Are we being bad neighbors?
 
Well I have the neighbours ( Peruvian ) kitchen exhaust in my face and she starts with cooking her disgusting meat dishes as early as 7am! Have to close the balcony door then.:msnmad::msnmad::msnmad:

doropfiz 29.06.2020 08:02

Re: Are we being bad neighbors?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by omtatsat (Post 3194856)
Well I have the neighbours ( Peruvian ) kitchen exhaust in my face and she starts with cooking her disgusting meat dishes as early as 7am! Have to close the balcony door then.

I don't think I'd like that, either. Have you tried this effective trick?
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pancakes (Post 3194536)
If you can point a fan facing out of your open window, that might help keep their smoke from coming in. We use to have to do that in our old apartment due to the chain-smoker who lived downstairs, and it really did help.


omtatsat 29.06.2020 08:10

Re: Are we being bad neighbors?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by doropfiz (Post 3194858)
I don't think I'd like that, either. Have you tried this effective trick?

Well the thing is is that one cannot sit out on the balcony when she is cooking. The smells are so obnoxious.

There is no central exhaust pipe that takes exhaust up to say the roof of the apartment block. Each exhaust from every apartment exits right next to the others balcony or living room. The primitive Swiss building system from 30 years ago!!

greenmount 29.06.2020 08:41

Re: Are we being bad neighbors?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by omtatsat (Post 3194856)
Well I have the neighbours ( Peruvian ) kitchen exhaust in my face and she starts with cooking her disgusting meat dishes as early as 7am! Have to close the balcony door then.:msnmad::msnmad::msnmad:

Well, at least you don't wake up passively smoking the (very early) first cigarette of the day. How disgusting food smell can be? I'd rather have that.

What does your wife cook, if I'm to being indiscrete? You raw vegans? She Swiss Swiss Swiss too?

Susie-Q 29.06.2020 09:03

Re: Are we being bad neighbors?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Dog (Post 3194846)
You say he always shuts his window when you grill and what you took as a passive aggressive approach to you starting to grill at 9pm, I took as an elderly man bothered by it and not wanting to be confrontational. It is very easy to underestimate the level of smell/smoke that wafts in. My mother is a similar age and has respiratory problems so smoke and smells from grilling bother her. She also gets extremely tired by the end of the day, takes her medicine and is often in bed by 9pm. She also wouldn't complain but try to drop a couple of nice hints

Jeez, I wonder if some of you are so wrapped up in yourself that you are unable to show a little consideration for an elderly man who may have lived there much longer than you

Some people are so wrapped up in themselves that they make entire judgement on people's characters on a few comments in a thread.

He just moved in because "he wanted to return to the city and feel less alone" after his wife passed. We are indeed so wrapped up in ourselves that we keep him company several times a week (he especially likes to play the harmonica for us from his window), and do his grocery shopping for him (when he lets us) so he doesn't put himself at too much risk.

I actually do have respiratory problems and I can't do anything about all the people around me smoking cigarettes which is far more deadly and frequent then the 1-2 times a week we grill for 20 minutes max.

Klostersgirl 29.06.2020 09:05

Re: Are we being bad neighbors?
 
We had been thinking of selling our house in a couple of years and probably moving to an apartment. I realise from reading this thread and others like it that this could be a huge mistake. I wouldn't want to disturb or annoy others, and neither do I want them to disturb me. We have potentially been saved from an expensive mistake.

eyebeebe 29.06.2020 09:20

Re: Are we being bad neighbors?
 
We barely see our neighbours, but fortuitously bumped into the one below us yesterday. I wanted to check with him that our new inflatable hot tub wasn't bothering them, as it's on our terrace (so over part of their apartment) and the pump seemed quite loud to me. He hasn't heard a thing, it wouldn't bother him and we should enjoy ourselves. He also requested that I barbecue more often as he loves the smell.

I barbecue at all times of year and all times of day to the point of using a head torch if needed. I've kicked off pulled pork smoking at 6am, have done steaks at 11pm and barbecued turkey on Christmas Day. Probably helps that we are the top floor and the neighbours below are Brazilian with 5 kids!

Susie-Q 29.06.2020 09:40

Re: Are we being bad neighbors?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by eyebeebe (Post 3194875)
I barbecue at all times of year and all times of day to the point of using a head torch if needed. I've kicked off pulled pork smoking at 6am, have done steaks at 11pm and barbecued turkey on Christmas Day. Probably helps that we are the top floor and the neighbours below are Brazilian with 5 kids!

Wow! :) May I come over next Christmas? We would love to get a smoker, but sadly it isn't allowed as per our lease. Someday we will get that house in the middle of nowhere...

Guest 29.06.2020 10:08

Re: Are we being bad neighbors?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Susie-Q (Post 3194871)
Some people are so wrapped up in themselves that they make entire judgement on people's characters on a few comments in a thread.

He just moved in because "he wanted to return to the city and feel less alone" after his wife passed. We are indeed so wrapped up in ourselves that we keep him company several times a week (he especially likes to play the harmonica for us from his window), and do his grocery shopping for him (when he lets us) so he doesn't put himself at too much risk.

I actually do have respiratory problems and I can't do anything about all the people around me smoking cigarettes which is far more deadly and frequent then the 1-2 times a week we grill for 20 minutes max.


Hey you were the one who complained how he "rather obnoxiously closes his windows" and "passive aggressive way he addressed it" and the uncalled comment given he moved to the city following his wife's deaththat if " concerned about noises and smells, perhaps you shouldn’t move to the crowded city center"

So, no, those comments didn't put you on my list for good neighbour of the year award


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 23:13.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0