Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Housing in general  
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #41  
Old 28.06.2020, 14:24
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Kanton Luzern
Posts: 16,008
Groaned at 551 Times in 432 Posts
Thanked 23,700 Times in 9,578 Posts
Tom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Are we being bad neighbors?

Quote:
View Post
Nobody is expecting anyone to do anything except shown some courtesy and consideration when starting to cook outside at 9pm when the smells/smoke were obviously wafting straight into the apartment of the old (elderly?) neighbour. Still possible to eat at any time day or night without needing to cook outside
So what time should people eat and grill outside? I'd hate to think I've been doing it wrong all these years.
The following 3 users would like to thank Tom1234 for this useful post:
  #42  
Old 28.06.2020, 14:50
MusicChick's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: La Cote
Posts: 17,512
Groaned at 411 Times in 275 Posts
Thanked 20,422 Times in 10,577 Posts
MusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Are we being bad neighbors?

Quote:
View Post
Whenever I smell our neighbors' grilling, I just find myself wishing I could have some.
Yup, it's a good calorie-free and franc-free appetizer.
This user would like to thank MusicChick for this useful post:
  #43  
Old 28.06.2020, 15:12
olygirl's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: d' Innerschwiiz
Posts: 7,317
Groaned at 398 Times in 265 Posts
Thanked 17,246 Times in 5,301 Posts
olygirl has a reputation beyond reputeolygirl has a reputation beyond reputeolygirl has a reputation beyond reputeolygirl has a reputation beyond reputeolygirl has a reputation beyond reputeolygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Are we being bad neighbors?

Quote:
View Post
So what time should people eat and grill outside? I'd hate to think I've been doing it wrong all these years.
I think it all comes down to common sense. If you grill below your neighbor's bedroom, you might want to rethink grilling later at night. If your neighbors aren't bothered by your grilling, 9 o'clock is fine.
The following 2 users would like to thank olygirl for this useful post:
  #44  
Old 28.06.2020, 16:00
st2lemans's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Lugano
Posts: 31,788
Groaned at 2,368 Times in 1,722 Posts
Thanked 38,746 Times in 18,256 Posts
st2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Are we being bad neighbors?

Quote:
View Post
the old (elderly?) neighbour
Please define old/elderly.

Tom
This user would like to thank st2lemans for this useful post:
  #45  
Old 28.06.2020, 16:35
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Are we being bad neighbors?

Quote:
View Post
Please define old/elderly.

Tom

How would I know, not my neighbour but Susie Q typed "my sweet old neighbor" so you would have to ask her how she defines old. I put the word elderly in brackets with a ?
This user would like to thank for this useful post:
  #46  
Old 28.06.2020, 18:50
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Zurich
Posts: 4,850
Groaned at 175 Times in 114 Posts
Thanked 8,283 Times in 2,807 Posts
Kittster has a reputation beyond reputeKittster has a reputation beyond reputeKittster has a reputation beyond reputeKittster has a reputation beyond reputeKittster has a reputation beyond reputeKittster has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Are we being bad neighbors?

Quote:
View Post
We regularly have dinner after 21 hours, sometimes after 22h.

But we're Swiss.

Tom
You may be Swiss but you are exceptionally self-centred and obstinately in your own bubble, making many if not most of your views on what is acceptable irrelevant at best.
The following 2 users would like to thank Kittster for this useful post:
  #47  
Old 28.06.2020, 19:32
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Bern
Posts: 1,846
Groaned at 324 Times in 197 Posts
Thanked 3,677 Times in 1,312 Posts
Susie-Q has a reputation beyond reputeSusie-Q has a reputation beyond reputeSusie-Q has a reputation beyond reputeSusie-Q has a reputation beyond reputeSusie-Q has a reputation beyond reputeSusie-Q has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Are we being bad neighbors?

Quote:
View Post
Nobody is expecting anyone to do anything except shown some courtesy and consideration when starting to cook outside at 9pm when the smells/smoke were obviously wafting straight into the apartment of the old (elderly?) neighbour. Still possible to eat at any time day or night without needing to cook outside
If you had actually read what I said, my grill is significantly far away from his window and he would only get a faint smell of it. Jeez - I wonder if some of you live in a cabin in the woods. Even then, you would complain that the bird in the tree above you sings too loud.

Quote:
View Post
Please define old/elderly.

Tom
Haven’t asked - guessing 80+
The following 3 users would like to thank Susie-Q for this useful post:
This user groans at Susie-Q for this post:
  #48  
Old 28.06.2020, 19:37
roegner's Avatar
Moderately Dutch
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Zurich
Posts: 11,115
Groaned at 369 Times in 310 Posts
Thanked 14,020 Times in 6,524 Posts
roegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Are we being bad neighbors?

Quote:
View Post
Even then, you would complain that the bird in the tree above you sings too loud.
Several court cases I read about because:

the church bells are too loud
the cow bells are too loud
the ducks quack too much
the rooster crows too early

Live and let live :-)
The following 3 users would like to thank roegner for this useful post:
  #49  
Old 28.06.2020, 22:02
curley's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: canton ZH
Posts: 13,137
Groaned at 219 Times in 183 Posts
Thanked 15,226 Times in 7,826 Posts
curley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Are we being bad neighbors?

Quote:
View Post
How would I know, not my neighbour but Susie Q typed "my sweet old neighbor" so you would have to ask her how she defines old. I put the word elderly in brackets with a ?
Might be like "my old lady" = anything between 18 and 110.
  #50  
Old 29.06.2020, 06:39
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Are we being bad neighbors?

Quote:
View Post
If you had actually read what I said, my grill is significantly far away from his window and he would only get a faint smell of it. Jeez - I wonder if some of you live in a cabin in the woods. Even then, you would complain that the bird in the tree above you sings too loud.


Haven’t asked - guessing 80+

You say he always shuts his window when you grill and what you took as a passive aggressive approach to you starting to grill at 9pm, I took as an elderly man bothered by it and not wanting to be confrontational. It is very easy to underestimate the level of smell/smoke that wafts in. My mother is a similar age and has respiratory problems so smoke and smells from grilling bother her. She also gets extremely tired by the end of the day, takes her medicine and is often in bed by 9pm. She also wouldn't complain but try to drop a couple of nice hints

Jeez, I wonder if some of you are so wrapped up in yourself that you are unable to show a little consideration for an elderly man who may have lived there much longer than you
This user would like to thank for this useful post:
This user groans at for this post:
  #51  
Old 29.06.2020, 07:09
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: CH
Posts: 10,770
Groaned at 346 Times in 282 Posts
Thanked 15,691 Times in 8,039 Posts
greenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Are we being bad neighbors?

Quote:
View Post
You may be Swiss but you are exceptionally self-centred and obstinately in your own bubble, making many if not most of your views on what is acceptable irrelevant at best.
Surprised he didn't groan your post.....

He's Swiss and Swiss and his wife and his wife.....I...just...can't...anymore. I put him on my ignore list again. This time for good. It's just silly.

Last edited by greenmount; 29.06.2020 at 07:21.
This user groans at greenmount for this post:
  #52  
Old 29.06.2020, 07:52
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: CH
Posts: 10,975
Groaned at 2,032 Times in 1,120 Posts
Thanked 5,139 Times in 3,246 Posts
omtatsat omtatsat omtatsat omtatsat omtatsat
Re: Are we being bad neighbors?

Well I have the neighbours ( Peruvian ) kitchen exhaust in my face and she starts with cooking her disgusting meat dishes as early as 7am! Have to close the balcony door then.
This user groans at omtatsat for this post:
  #53  
Old 29.06.2020, 08:02
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: ZH
Posts: 7,955
Groaned at 94 Times in 75 Posts
Thanked 12,283 Times in 4,986 Posts
doropfiz has a reputation beyond reputedoropfiz has a reputation beyond reputedoropfiz has a reputation beyond reputedoropfiz has a reputation beyond reputedoropfiz has a reputation beyond reputedoropfiz has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Are we being bad neighbors?

Quote:
View Post
Well I have the neighbours ( Peruvian ) kitchen exhaust in my face and she starts with cooking her disgusting meat dishes as early as 7am! Have to close the balcony door then.
I don't think I'd like that, either. Have you tried this effective trick?
Quote:
View Post
If you can point a fan facing out of your open window, that might help keep their smoke from coming in. We use to have to do that in our old apartment due to the chain-smoker who lived downstairs, and it really did help.
  #54  
Old 29.06.2020, 08:10
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: CH
Posts: 10,975
Groaned at 2,032 Times in 1,120 Posts
Thanked 5,139 Times in 3,246 Posts
omtatsat omtatsat omtatsat omtatsat omtatsat
Re: Are we being bad neighbors?

Quote:
View Post
I don't think I'd like that, either. Have you tried this effective trick?
Well the thing is is that one cannot sit out on the balcony when she is cooking. The smells are so obnoxious.

There is no central exhaust pipe that takes exhaust up to say the roof of the apartment block. Each exhaust from every apartment exits right next to the others balcony or living room. The primitive Swiss building system from 30 years ago!!
This user groans at omtatsat for this post:
  #55  
Old 29.06.2020, 08:41
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: CH
Posts: 10,770
Groaned at 346 Times in 282 Posts
Thanked 15,691 Times in 8,039 Posts
greenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Are we being bad neighbors?

Quote:
View Post
Well I have the neighbours ( Peruvian ) kitchen exhaust in my face and she starts with cooking her disgusting meat dishes as early as 7am! Have to close the balcony door then.
Well, at least you don't wake up passively smoking the (very early) first cigarette of the day. How disgusting food smell can be? I'd rather have that.

What does your wife cook, if I'm to being indiscrete? You raw vegans? She Swiss Swiss Swiss too?
This user would like to thank greenmount for this useful post:
  #56  
Old 29.06.2020, 09:03
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Bern
Posts: 1,846
Groaned at 324 Times in 197 Posts
Thanked 3,677 Times in 1,312 Posts
Susie-Q has a reputation beyond reputeSusie-Q has a reputation beyond reputeSusie-Q has a reputation beyond reputeSusie-Q has a reputation beyond reputeSusie-Q has a reputation beyond reputeSusie-Q has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Are we being bad neighbors?

Quote:
View Post
You say he always shuts his window when you grill and what you took as a passive aggressive approach to you starting to grill at 9pm, I took as an elderly man bothered by it and not wanting to be confrontational. It is very easy to underestimate the level of smell/smoke that wafts in. My mother is a similar age and has respiratory problems so smoke and smells from grilling bother her. She also gets extremely tired by the end of the day, takes her medicine and is often in bed by 9pm. She also wouldn't complain but try to drop a couple of nice hints

Jeez, I wonder if some of you are so wrapped up in yourself that you are unable to show a little consideration for an elderly man who may have lived there much longer than you
Some people are so wrapped up in themselves that they make entire judgement on people's characters on a few comments in a thread.

He just moved in because "he wanted to return to the city and feel less alone" after his wife passed. We are indeed so wrapped up in ourselves that we keep him company several times a week (he especially likes to play the harmonica for us from his window), and do his grocery shopping for him (when he lets us) so he doesn't put himself at too much risk.

I actually do have respiratory problems and I can't do anything about all the people around me smoking cigarettes which is far more deadly and frequent then the 1-2 times a week we grill for 20 minutes max.
This user would like to thank Susie-Q for this useful post:
  #57  
Old 29.06.2020, 09:05
Klostersgirl's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Stäfa and Klosters
Posts: 585
Groaned at 2 Times in 1 Post
Thanked 1,094 Times in 341 Posts
Klostersgirl has a reputation beyond reputeKlostersgirl has a reputation beyond reputeKlostersgirl has a reputation beyond reputeKlostersgirl has a reputation beyond reputeKlostersgirl has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Are we being bad neighbors?

We had been thinking of selling our house in a couple of years and probably moving to an apartment. I realise from reading this thread and others like it that this could be a huge mistake. I wouldn't want to disturb or annoy others, and neither do I want them to disturb me. We have potentially been saved from an expensive mistake.
The following 3 users would like to thank Klostersgirl for this useful post:
  #58  
Old 29.06.2020, 09:20
eyebeebe's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Pfäffikon SZ
Posts: 2,158
Groaned at 19 Times in 18 Posts
Thanked 2,876 Times in 1,216 Posts
eyebeebe has a reputation beyond reputeeyebeebe has a reputation beyond reputeeyebeebe has a reputation beyond reputeeyebeebe has a reputation beyond reputeeyebeebe has a reputation beyond reputeeyebeebe has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Are we being bad neighbors?

We barely see our neighbours, but fortuitously bumped into the one below us yesterday. I wanted to check with him that our new inflatable hot tub wasn't bothering them, as it's on our terrace (so over part of their apartment) and the pump seemed quite loud to me. He hasn't heard a thing, it wouldn't bother him and we should enjoy ourselves. He also requested that I barbecue more often as he loves the smell.

I barbecue at all times of year and all times of day to the point of using a head torch if needed. I've kicked off pulled pork smoking at 6am, have done steaks at 11pm and barbecued turkey on Christmas Day. Probably helps that we are the top floor and the neighbours below are Brazilian with 5 kids!
The following 5 users would like to thank eyebeebe for this useful post:
  #59  
Old 29.06.2020, 09:40
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Bern
Posts: 1,846
Groaned at 324 Times in 197 Posts
Thanked 3,677 Times in 1,312 Posts
Susie-Q has a reputation beyond reputeSusie-Q has a reputation beyond reputeSusie-Q has a reputation beyond reputeSusie-Q has a reputation beyond reputeSusie-Q has a reputation beyond reputeSusie-Q has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Are we being bad neighbors?

Quote:
View Post
I barbecue at all times of year and all times of day to the point of using a head torch if needed. I've kicked off pulled pork smoking at 6am, have done steaks at 11pm and barbecued turkey on Christmas Day. Probably helps that we are the top floor and the neighbours below are Brazilian with 5 kids!
Wow! May I come over next Christmas? We would love to get a smoker, but sadly it isn't allowed as per our lease. Someday we will get that house in the middle of nowhere...
  #60  
Old 29.06.2020, 10:08
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Are we being bad neighbors?

Quote:
View Post
Some people are so wrapped up in themselves that they make entire judgement on people's characters on a few comments in a thread.

He just moved in because "he wanted to return to the city and feel less alone" after his wife passed. We are indeed so wrapped up in ourselves that we keep him company several times a week (he especially likes to play the harmonica for us from his window), and do his grocery shopping for him (when he lets us) so he doesn't put himself at too much risk.

I actually do have respiratory problems and I can't do anything about all the people around me smoking cigarettes which is far more deadly and frequent then the 1-2 times a week we grill for 20 minutes max.

Hey you were the one who complained how he "rather obnoxiously closes his windows" and "passive aggressive way he addressed it" and the uncalled comment given he moved to the city following his wife's deaththat if " concerned about noises and smells, perhaps you shouldn’t move to the crowded city center"

So, no, those comments didn't put you on my list for good neighbour of the year award
 




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Scratched neighbors car, but... checkov Insurance 4 22.11.2014 08:44
Swiss neighbors Guest Daily life 38 10.10.2013 15:44
Neighbors dog on the loose, should I tell? Nil General off-topic 6 11.07.2013 16:10
Need some advice on new neighbors lmerkel Daily life 14 12.04.2012 01:31
Tips for getting along with your neighbors little_isabella Housing in general 2 21.11.2011 16:13


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 00:32.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0