Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Housing in general  
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 17.08.2020, 01:39
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Vaud
Posts: 18
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 4 Times in 2 Posts
talia has no particular reputation at present
Oven that does not cook properly

Hi,

I have tried to find the information online and I donít know exactly where to look and also my basic French does not help.

My partner and I are currently renting an apartment. He has been in this apartment for a few years. The gas oven in the apartment is very old (we think from about 1986 - from the oven instruction manual). It does not cook very well. It takes twice as long to cook anything and always we have to put it on the highest setting. We have had fish that we went to eat before when we realised it was frozen inside.

We have asked reported this a few times. The rental agency have sent people twice - the first time they cleaned the oven so it just looked clean and the cleaning did not make a difference to the function of the oven. The second time they sent a profession gas man to clean the inside tubes of gas hobs (not the oven itself that is not cooking).

We had an email last week from the rental agency saying that this time the landlords would pay for the oven cleaning but in the future they expect us to do it / pay for it. We could not clean it ourselves as it is gas cooker. The landlords are an old couple who want to keep the whole building to sell on and have no interest in buying a new oven (although the kitchen in their own apartment upstairs is fully modern even though they are here two weeks a year) My partner offered to go halves on a new oven but they said no.

My questions are:

1. Do we have any rental rights about the oven being replaced if we cannot always cook food properly? (Usually though does cook but takes a long time)

2. Do we have to maintain the gas cooker? We cannot clean it ourselves as it needs specialist equipment so are we paying next time for someone to clean the oven? The last oven cleaner man said that it has years of build up.

Thankyou!
  #2  
Old 17.08.2020, 06:55
Medea Fleecestealer's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Switzerland
Posts: 22,251
Groaned at 411 Times in 319 Posts
Thanked 17,270 Times in 9,699 Posts
Medea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Oven that does not cook properly

Join your local ASLOCA (tenants' association) and see what they have to say. My guess is, if it needs specialist equipment, then it's the landlord's responsibility.

https://www.ch.ch/en/defects-apartment/
  #3  
Old 17.08.2020, 07:06
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: CH
Posts: 10,975
Groaned at 2,032 Times in 1,120 Posts
Thanked 5,139 Times in 3,246 Posts
omtatsat omtatsat omtatsat omtatsat omtatsat
Re: Oven that does not cook properly

Quote:
View Post
Hi,

I have tried to find the information online and I donít know exactly where to look and also my basic French does not help.

My partner and I are currently renting an apartment. He has been in this apartment for a few years. The gas oven in the apartment is very old (we think from about 1986 - from the oven instruction manual). It does not cook very well. It takes twice as long to cook anything and always we have to put it on the highest setting. We have had fish that we went to eat before when we realised it was frozen inside.

We have asked reported this a few times. The rental agency have sent people twice - the first time they cleaned the oven so it just looked clean and the cleaning did not make a difference to the function of the oven. The second time they sent a profession gas man to clean the inside tubes of gas hobs (not the oven itself that is not cooking).

We had an email last week from the rental agency saying that this time the landlords would pay for the oven cleaning but in the future they expect us to do it / pay for it. We could not clean it ourselves as it is gas cooker. The landlords are an old couple who want to keep the whole building to sell on and have no interest in buying a new oven (although the kitchen in their own apartment upstairs is fully modern even though they are here two weeks a year) My partner offered to go halves on a new oven but they said no.

My questions are:

1. Do we have any rental rights about the oven being replaced if we cannot always cook food properly? (Usually though does cook but takes a long time)

2. Do we have to maintain the gas cooker? We cannot clean it ourselves as it needs specialist equipment so are we paying next time for someone to clean the oven? The last oven cleaner man said that it has years of build up.

Thankyou!
Greedy landlords that just want money and give nothing. Move out
This user groans at omtatsat for this post:
  #4  
Old 17.08.2020, 07:41
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Nyon
Posts: 5,202
Groaned at 292 Times in 206 Posts
Thanked 7,108 Times in 3,345 Posts
bowlie has a reputation beyond reputebowlie has a reputation beyond reputebowlie has a reputation beyond reputebowlie has a reputation beyond reputebowlie has a reputation beyond reputebowlie has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Oven that does not cook properly

Get an Oven thermometer and do some tests. Record the oven temperature at each one of the settings. Report this to the regie.

You can get a cheap one at migros or coop.

Last edited by bowlie; 17.08.2020 at 07:57.
  #5  
Old 17.08.2020, 07:44
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: CH
Posts: 10,975
Groaned at 2,032 Times in 1,120 Posts
Thanked 5,139 Times in 3,246 Posts
omtatsat omtatsat omtatsat omtatsat omtatsat
Re: Oven that does not cook properly

Forget about your testing-its 34 years old! You have the right to pay reduced rent. Or look for a new place.
  #6  
Old 17.08.2020, 09:43
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Zurich
Posts: 3,649
Groaned at 71 Times in 50 Posts
Thanked 3,878 Times in 2,088 Posts
rainer_d has a reputation beyond reputerainer_d has a reputation beyond reputerainer_d has a reputation beyond reputerainer_d has a reputation beyond reputerainer_d has a reputation beyond reputerainer_d has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Oven that does not cook properly

As per the table on mieterverband.ch, a gas-oven has an assumed lifespan of 15 years.


I.e. if it breaks after that point, the landlord cannot claim "excessive use" and must buy a replacement without increasing the rent.
  #7  
Old 17.08.2020, 11:41
st2lemans's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Lugano
Posts: 31,788
Groaned at 2,368 Times in 1,722 Posts
Thanked 38,746 Times in 18,256 Posts
st2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Oven that does not cook properly

Gas ovens can easily be cleaned without special equipment.

Tom
  #8  
Old 17.08.2020, 23:53
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Vaud
Posts: 18
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 4 Times in 2 Posts
talia has no particular reputation at present
Re: Oven that does not cook properly

Quote:
View Post
Join your local ASLOCA (tenants' association) and see what they have to say. My guess is, if it needs specialist equipment, then it's the landlord's responsibility.

https://www.ch.ch/en/defects-apartment/

Thanks! Trying to find out local one and will join. I think as the landlords are so against replacing it we need good legal information that backs us up.
  #9  
Old 18.08.2020, 00:01
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Vaud
Posts: 18
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 4 Times in 2 Posts
talia has no particular reputation at present
Re: Oven that does not cook properly

Quote:
View Post
Get an Oven thermometer and do some tests. Record the oven temperature at each one of the settings. Report this to the regie.

You can get a cheap one at migros or coop.
We couldn't find one in migros/coop so we are ordering one tonight. Really great idea thanks!

Quote:
View Post
As per the table on mieterverband.ch, a gas-oven has an assumed lifespan of 15 years.

I.e. if it breaks after that point, the landlord cannot claim "excessive use" and must buy a replacement without increasing the rent.
Thanks! We have sent this table to the rental agency to see what they say before we do anything else.

Quote:
View Post
Gas ovens can easily be cleaned without special equipment.

Tom
We really donít want to try to clean it ourselves as we donít know what we are doing. If we mess around with a gas cooker and donít put it back together properly we could have a gas leak and that would be worse.

Quote:
View Post
Greedy landlords that just want money and give nothing. Move out
That is exactly what frustrates me - they will happily take our money but not put any money back into the place. The rest of the place is quite nice but the kitchen is rubbish and we live walking distance to our work. We have looked elsewhere but without paying alot more it seems that most the kitchens in our area are old. We would need to get into a new build which is pricey and harder around here. We are hoping to stay here whilst we save up for our own place.

Thanks for all the information so far - it has been really useful for us.
  #10  
Old 18.08.2020, 08:05
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Nyon
Posts: 5,202
Groaned at 292 Times in 206 Posts
Thanked 7,108 Times in 3,345 Posts
bowlie has a reputation beyond reputebowlie has a reputation beyond reputebowlie has a reputation beyond reputebowlie has a reputation beyond reputebowlie has a reputation beyond reputebowlie has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Oven that does not cook properly

Quote:
View Post
Thanks! Trying to find out local one and will join. I think as the landlords are so against replacing it we need good legal information that backs us up.

https://www.asloca.ch/geneve/
  #11  
Old 19.08.2020, 00:48
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Vaud
Posts: 18
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 4 Times in 2 Posts
talia has no particular reputation at present
Re: Oven that does not cook properly


thanks!
 




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How to store a matress properly SwissNoobie Housing in general 1 13.05.2019 12:37
Kitchen combi-steam oven and combi-microwave-oven Tanash Daily life 15 30.06.2016 13:51
Passive-aggressive done properly newtoswitz General off-topic 1 17.11.2015 16:05
Help I can't search properly. Oldhand Forum support 6 04.02.2012 16:00


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 22:16.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0