Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Housing in general  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 09.09.2020, 09:10
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Location: Rougemont
Posts: 3
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
mololied has no particular reputation at present
How do architects charge for renovation works?

Hello all,
We have purchased a small chalet in the Rougemont (VD) region and we need to undertake significant renovations.
Does anyone have experience with how architects/contractors charge for drawing the plans, dealing with all the permits and overseeing all the construction works?
We have been in touch with a few.
- Some seem to charge an upfront fee to draw the plans, deal with the permits, etc. before the actual construction work begins.
- Others use from the outset a percentage/margin (for ex. 15%) of the total building costs/budget, rather than charge an upfront fee.
What is the standard?
Any recommendations?
Thank you very much in advance.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 09.09.2020, 09:32
fatmanfilms's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Verbier
Posts: 18,418
Groaned at 344 Times in 275 Posts
Thanked 17,999 Times in 9,748 Posts
fatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond repute
Re: How do architects charge for renovation works?

Quote:
View Post
Hello all,
We have purchased a small chalet in the Rougemont (VD) region and we need to undertake significant renovations.
Does anyone have experience with how architects/contractors charge for drawing the plans, dealing with all the permits and overseeing all the construction works?
We have been in touch with a few.
- Some seem to charge an upfront fee to draw the plans, deal with the permits, etc. before the actual construction work begins.
- Others use from the outset a percentage/margin (for ex. 15%) of the total building costs/budget, rather than charge an upfront fee.
What is the standard?
Any recommendations?
Thank you very much in advance.
Most will charge an hourly fee for initial plans until permits are in hand & you accept the quote of a builder. Otherwise they have done most of the work, with no guarantee of payment.
They may agree an hourly fee or a percentage plus VAT for project management. A 1 man band will be more flexible than a large office with high overheads.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 09.09.2020, 10:10
GenevaSculler's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Geneva
Posts: 1,251
Groaned at 7 Times in 5 Posts
Thanked 1,017 Times in 527 Posts
GenevaSculler has a reputation beyond reputeGenevaSculler has a reputation beyond reputeGenevaSculler has a reputation beyond reputeGenevaSculler has a reputation beyond reputeGenevaSculler has a reputation beyond repute
Re: How do architects charge for renovation works?

We are paying 10% of the total costs of the project, but with regular bills along the way (eg after submission of the authorization request, after the call for offers process, and now every few weeks as the main work is being done).
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank GenevaSculler for this useful post:
  #4  
Old 09.09.2020, 12:39
RTN RTN is offline
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Uetikon am See
Posts: 1,385
Groaned at 12 Times in 8 Posts
Thanked 1,538 Times in 689 Posts
RTN has a reputation beyond reputeRTN has a reputation beyond reputeRTN has a reputation beyond reputeRTN has a reputation beyond reputeRTN has a reputation beyond repute
Re: How do architects charge for renovation works?

Quote:
View Post
We are paying 10% of the total costs of the project, but with regular bills along the way (eg after submission of the authorization request, after the call for offers process, and now every few weeks as the main work is being done).
10% is good, a lot charge 15% so it depends on how hard they are working for you, the questions to ask is do they write a scope of work and then get a few offers or just give the work to a firm they know? Either way you should check the scope of work and offers to make sure they have not missed anything and offers are reasonable, you can also get your own offers as generally you are not obliged to use their firms but bear in mind it takes some time for an offer so it is not unreasonable for firms to charge for this. With a percentage rate there is not a lot of incentive for the architect to spend a lot of time chasing savings.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 09.09.2020, 12:47
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Vaud
Posts: 2,386
Groaned at 163 Times in 114 Posts
Thanked 4,696 Times in 1,809 Posts
Mikers has a reputation beyond reputeMikers has a reputation beyond reputeMikers has a reputation beyond reputeMikers has a reputation beyond reputeMikers has a reputation beyond reputeMikers has a reputation beyond repute
Re: How do architects charge for renovation works?

Quote:
View Post
10% is good, a lot charge 15% so it depends on how hard they are working for you, the questions to ask is do they write a scope of work and then get a few offers or just give the work to a firm they know? Either way you should check the scope of work and offers to make sure they have not missed anything and offers are reasonable, you can also get your own offers as generally you are not obliged to use their firms but bear in mind it takes some time for an offer so it is not unreasonable for firms to charge for this. With a percentage rate there is not a lot of incentive for the architect to spend a lot of time chasing savings.
Plus bear in mind the architect and firms that he employs will quite possibly be arranging their own financial agreement in the way of paying the architect a backhander to have him select them for the work.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank Mikers for this useful post:
  #6  
Old 09.09.2020, 16:05
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Lugano
Posts: 906
Groaned at 15 Times in 13 Posts
Thanked 1,054 Times in 488 Posts
LuganoPirate has a reputation beyond reputeLuganoPirate has a reputation beyond reputeLuganoPirate has a reputation beyond reputeLuganoPirate has a reputation beyond repute
Re: How do architects charge for renovation works?

You also need to know what you want from the architect. Is it just to draw up plans and submit them, or also to engage the other artisans, such as electrician, plumbers, structural, heating etc.

Do you want them to obtain quotations and then follow the work to completion?

All this will effect the fee you pay which can be anything from a fixed CHF 120 / hour (maybe more, maybe less) to a percentage varying between 5 and 15%.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 09.09.2020, 16:09
Phil_MCR's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Basel
Posts: 13,789
Groaned at 271 Times in 177 Posts
Thanked 16,879 Times in 7,139 Posts
Phil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond repute
Re: How do architects charge for renovation works?

by the limb?
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 09.09.2020, 16:24
Ato Ato is offline
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: ZH
Posts: 870
Groaned at 11 Times in 11 Posts
Thanked 1,415 Times in 609 Posts
Ato has a reputation beyond reputeAto has a reputation beyond reputeAto has a reputation beyond reputeAto has a reputation beyond reputeAto has a reputation beyond repute
Re: How do architects charge for renovation works?

Quote:
View Post
by the limb?
I thought Architects called them extensions or wings?
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
architect, contractor advice, renovations




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Work permit for architects [non-EU] Komalgadvi Permits/visas/government 21 12.12.2015 12:10
How is the employment market for architects in CH? Pandekage Employment 3 19.08.2015 20:08
Any architects out there? AdrianF Employment 1 07.11.2013 23:11
Fellow architects, please help me! meshell555 Other/general 7 17.01.2011 13:47
Architects... markalex Housing in general 1 28.08.2008 13:16


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 21:05.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0