Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Housing in general  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 15.09.2020, 23:22
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Zurich
Posts: 48
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 23 Times in 15 Posts
jakobo has made some interesting contributions
Leaving after 10 years

Dear English Forum community,

I am moving out of Switzerland, somehow 10 years had gone by so fast that i didnt even notice. It is a scary thing.
Except for the first 4 months I have been always living in the same place. So in April next year, it would be 10 years in this apartment in zurich
My intention is to leave the apartment at the beginning of 2021. Ideally January.
I was taking care of the apartment except for a couple of scratches in the floor in the living room.
Can they claim something back about that after almost 10 years or after this period is considered to be normal usage?

If I give notice at the end of this month. Is that good enough ? Or do i need to find a replacement tenant for my apartment ?


Regards,
Jacobo.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank jakobo for this useful post:
  #2  
Old 16.09.2020, 06:44
Medea Fleecestealer's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Switzerland
Posts: 21,291
Groaned at 369 Times in 284 Posts
Thanked 16,075 Times in 9,138 Posts
Medea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Leaving after 10 years

Quote:
View Post
Dear English Forum community,

I am moving out of Switzerland, somehow 10 years had gone by so fast that i didnt even notice. It is a scary thing.
Except for the first 4 months I have been always living in the same place. So in April next year, it would be 10 years in this apartment in zurich
My intention is to leave the apartment at the beginning of 2021. Ideally January.
I was taking care of the apartment except for a couple of scratches in the floor in the living room.
Can they claim something back about that after almost 10 years or after this period is considered to be normal usage?

If I give notice at the end of this month. Is that good enough ? Or do i need to find a replacement tenant for my apartment ?


Regards,
Jacobo.
Depends on what your contract says about giving notice. If it's 3 months at any time then making sure you send a registered letter to arrive before the 30th September should be fine.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 16.09.2020, 09:42
Elu Elu is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Olten
Posts: 400
Groaned at 17 Times in 16 Posts
Thanked 702 Times in 310 Posts
Elu has a reputation beyond reputeElu has a reputation beyond reputeElu has a reputation beyond reputeElu has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Leaving after 10 years

Most contracts state that you cannot give notice per 31.12.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Elu for this useful post:
  #4  
Old 16.09.2020, 09:45
fatmanfilms's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Verbier
Posts: 18,418
Groaned at 344 Times in 275 Posts
Thanked 17,999 Times in 9,748 Posts
fatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Leaving after 10 years

Quote:
View Post
Dear English Forum community,

I am moving out of Switzerland, somehow 10 years had gone by so fast that i didnt even notice. It is a scary thing.
Except for the first 4 months I have been always living in the same place. So in April next year, it would be 10 years in this apartment in zurich
My intention is to leave the apartment at the beginning of 2021. Ideally January.
I was taking care of the apartment except for a couple of scratches in the floor in the living room.
Can they claim something back about that after almost 10 years or after this period is considered to be normal usage?

If I give notice at the end of this month. Is that good enough ? Or do i need to find a replacement tenant for my apartment ?


Regards,
Jacobo.
I would speak to the agency, after 10 years they will probably want to do some renovation & raise the rent so may be happy to take it back when you want to leave without you finding a replacement Tennant who they won't be giving the contract to.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 16.09.2020, 10:14
NotAllThere's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Baselland
Posts: 12,303
Groaned at 189 Times in 166 Posts
Thanked 17,775 Times in 7,232 Posts
NotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Leaving after 10 years

You can hand over damage claims to your personal liability insurer. Last time I rented, there was even a place on the handover form to put in insurer and policy number.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 16.09.2020, 12:40
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Zurich
Posts: 377
Groaned at 20 Times in 14 Posts
Thanked 157 Times in 98 Posts
Superfast is considered unworthySuperfast is considered unworthySuperfast is considered unworthy
Re: Leaving after 10 years

Quote:
View Post
Dear English Forum community,

I am moving out of Switzerland, somehow 10 years had gone by so fast that i didnt even notice. It is a scary thing.
Except for the first 4 months I have been always living in the same place. So in April next year, it would be 10 years in this apartment in zurich
My intention is to leave the apartment at the beginning of 2021. Ideally January.
I was taking care of the apartment except for a couple of scratches in the floor in the living room.
Can they claim something back about that after almost 10 years or after this period is considered to be normal usage?

If I give notice at the end of this month. Is that good enough ? Or do i need to find a replacement tenant for my apartment ?


Regards,
Jacobo.
I got a job in Portugal so i am in Similar Situation. (10 years ) Thing is i have to leave until end of October.

I will update this thread with the house situation. My landlord told me it is ok to leave 31st October if i find a tenant.

My flat is from 2011 and i got it beginning of 2018. All walls are scratched or damaged. So they accepted from last tenant to me and it is in the handover protocol
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 16.09.2020, 13:30
Axa's Avatar
Axa Axa is offline
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: Suhr, Aargau
Posts: 1,042
Groaned at 14 Times in 14 Posts
Thanked 1,356 Times in 635 Posts
Axa has a reputation beyond reputeAxa has a reputation beyond reputeAxa has a reputation beyond reputeAxa has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Leaving after 10 years

As Elu mentioned, check your contract. A lot of contracts say it's not possible to leave on 31st of December. Some contracts allow to leave each month, that's 31.01.2021. The worst contracts saying you can only leave at the end of March, June or September means until 31.03.2021. But, these limits are just important if the landlord/agency want to enforce them, better ask them. After 10 years maybe they need to do some repairs and that's easier on an empty flat.

Last edited by Axa; 16.09.2020 at 13:45.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 16.09.2020, 14:13
CodPeace's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Location: BaselStadt
Posts: 463
Groaned at 80 Times in 38 Posts
Thanked 913 Times in 366 Posts
CodPeace has a reputation beyond reputeCodPeace has a reputation beyond reputeCodPeace has a reputation beyond reputeCodPeace has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Leaving after 10 years

Quote:
View Post
My landlord told me it is ok to leave 31st October if i find a tenant.

My flat is from 2011 and i got it beginning of 2018. All walls are scratched or damaged. So they accepted from last tenant to me and it is in the handover protocol

But you have formally handed in the termination notice and had it confirmed?
Then you know, new tenant or not, you only have X months liability for the rent.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank CodPeace for this useful post:
  #9  
Old 16.09.2020, 14:28
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Zurich
Posts: 377
Groaned at 20 Times in 14 Posts
Thanked 157 Times in 98 Posts
Superfast is considered unworthySuperfast is considered unworthySuperfast is considered unworthy
Re: Leaving after 10 years

Quote:
View Post
But you have formally handed in the termination notice and had it confirmed?
Then you know, new tenant or not, you only have X months liability for the rent.
I am doing that next week. I just inquired from email so far.
By contract if in end in September my lease ends in end of the year.

Last edited by Superfast; 16.09.2020 at 15:08.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 16.09.2020, 14:41
CodPeace's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Location: BaselStadt
Posts: 463
Groaned at 80 Times in 38 Posts
Thanked 913 Times in 366 Posts
CodPeace has a reputation beyond reputeCodPeace has a reputation beyond reputeCodPeace has a reputation beyond reputeCodPeace has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Leaving after 10 years

Quote:
View Post
I am doing that next week. I just inquired from email so far.
By contract if i end in September my lease ends in end of the year.
As MF said, registered letter and don't delay.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
10 years, moving out of apartment




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
My wife and I are leaving Switzerland after 8 years tsoper11 Leaving Switzerland 18 03.05.2019 18:10
Deregistration after 5 years of leaving Tanuja17 Leaving Switzerland 1 03.02.2018 08:35
permit b and leaving for 2 years vevi Permits/visas/government 5 30.11.2017 22:21
Sunrise contract for 2 years, and im leaving in one year, what to do??? Beautiful fairy Daily life 18 06.11.2011 23:02
Leaving Switzerland after almost 2 years ivanthegreat Daily life 24 17.09.2011 11:57


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 21:45.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0