Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Housing in general  
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 17.09.2020, 15:07
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: Zurich
Posts: 19
Groaned at 11 Times in 7 Posts
Thanked 17 Times in 7 Posts
olwe has earned some respectolwe has earned some respect
Replacing a broken washing machine

Hi folks

I rent an apartment that has a washing machine and 3 weeks ago it broke down. The technician from ZUG came over and he wrote it off completely and told me he'll notify the renting agency.

I contacted the renting agency as well and was allowed to use the main washing machine station downstairs (yay) and to wait for a call from ZUG to bring my replacement.

This Friday it will be 3 weeks since the technician from ZUG was here. I contacted the renting agency twice now and told me that the owner has ordered the washing machine and that I have to wait.

Today, I sent them an email saying that I want a rent reduction for September but they didn't even bother replying. The owner is a hard-ass and rude man, so I want to leave contacting him directly as a last resort.

What are my options here? What can I do?

I have already sent an email to the Mieterverband Zurich last week and I am still waiting... I wonder why I even pay their premium with how slow they are.

Thanks in advance for any feedback/comments/etc.
The following 2 users groan at olwe for this post:
  #2  
Old 17.09.2020, 15:17
aSwissInTheUS's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Zurich area
Posts: 12,783
Groaned at 99 Times in 88 Posts
Thanked 19,576 Times in 8,681 Posts
aSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Replacing a broken washing machine

Quote:
View Post
Today, I sent them an email saying that I want a rent reduction for September but they didn't even bother replying.
If you want a rent reduction you must follow the formal process. Email is not sufficient.
https://www.mieterverband.ch/mv/miet...-schaeden.html

I would say the best you could hope for is a rent reduction of maybe 5%.
Considering there is washing machine in the building which you can use it might even be less all the way down to nothing.
The following 2 users would like to thank aSwissInTheUS for this useful post:
  #3  
Old 17.09.2020, 15:18
fatmanfilms's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Verbier
Posts: 21,378
Groaned at 460 Times in 352 Posts
Thanked 23,089 Times in 11,824 Posts
fatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Replacing a broken washing machine

Quote:
View Post
Hi folks

I rent an apartment that has a washing machine and 3 weeks ago it broke down. The technician from ZUG came over and he wrote it off completely and told me he'll notify the renting agency.

I contacted the renting agency as well and was allowed to use the main washing machine station downstairs (yay) and to wait for a call from ZUG to bring my replacement.

This Friday it will be 3 weeks since the technician from ZUG was here. I contacted the renting agency twice now and told me that the owner has ordered the washing machine and that I have to wait.

Today, I sent them an email saying that I want a rent reduction for September but they didn't even bother replying. The owner is a hard-ass and rude man, so I want to leave contacting him directly as a last resort.

What are my options here? What can I do?

I have already sent an email to the Mieterverband Zurich last week and I am still waiting... I wonder why I even pay their premium with how slow they are.

Thanks in advance for any feedback/comments/etc.
Go to the laundrette
The following 3 users would like to thank fatmanfilms for this useful post:
The following 2 users groan at fatmanfilms for this post:
  #4  
Old 17.09.2020, 15:24
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Zurich
Posts: 8,406
Groaned at 296 Times in 225 Posts
Thanked 19,355 Times in 6,733 Posts
k_and_e has a reputation beyond reputek_and_e has a reputation beyond reputek_and_e has a reputation beyond reputek_and_e has a reputation beyond reputek_and_e has a reputation beyond reputek_and_e has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Replacing a broken washing machine

Still in the same apartment?
https://www.englishforum.ch/housing-...ung-owner.html
The following 4 users would like to thank k_and_e for this useful post:
This user groans at k_and_e for this post:
  #5  
Old 17.09.2020, 15:48
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Japan
Posts: 340
Groaned at 24 Times in 5 Posts
Thanked 529 Times in 222 Posts
Plau Deri has an excellent reputationPlau Deri has an excellent reputationPlau Deri has an excellent reputationPlau Deri has an excellent reputation
Re: Replacing a broken washing machine

Quote:
View Post
Today, I sent them an email saying that I want a rent reduction for September but they didn't even bother replying.
Well, if you sent your mail today, you can't possibly expect a competent answer today. They might have to call around first to find out, where your machine is at the moment.

And asking, where your machine is at the moment and how long it might take, until it arrives, would likely have yielded a better result than asking for a rent reduction first.
The following 3 users would like to thank Plau Deri for this useful post:
  #6  
Old 17.09.2020, 15:48
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: Zurich
Posts: 19
Groaned at 11 Times in 7 Posts
Thanked 17 Times in 7 Posts
olwe has earned some respectolwe has earned some respect
That's kinda creepy, and yes that's right!

Not sure why it's important though

Quote:
View Post
Well, if you sent your mail today, you can't possibly expect a competent answer today. They might have to call around first to find out, where your machine is at the moment.

And asking, where your machine is at the moment and how long it might take, until it arrives, would likely have yielded a better result than asking for a rent reduction first.
I sent them 3 emails so far. One each week. Asking where the thing was. This isn't the first email. All 3 times they told me it's coming. I asked for contact info to call ZUG myself but they didn't care to address that part.

Quote:
View Post
Go to the laundrette
I'm not an animal... JK! I rented this apartment specifically cause of the washing machine. But thanks for your input

Quote:
View Post
If you want a rent reduction you must follow the formal process. Email is not sufficient.
https://www.mieterverband.ch/mv/miet...-schaeden.html

I would say the best you could hope for is a rent reduction of maybe 5%.
Considering there is washing machine in the building which you can use it might even be less all the way down to nothing.
It's not the money itself. I just want to maybe light a fire under the owner's ass since he cares even for minor sums. So 5% of my rent would be 150chf. So he might be bothered losing 150... I kid of course since the guy owns half the town I live in but I'm doing it for spite more than the money.

Thanks for the link, I'll follow the correct procedure. I am not sure I'm eligible for a reduction though.

Last edited by 3Wishes; 17.09.2020 at 21:49. Reason: merging consecutive replies, please use multi-quote
  #7  
Old 17.09.2020, 15:57
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Replacing a broken washing machine

Quote:
View Post
It's not the money itself. I just want to maybe light a fire under the owner's ass
I fail to understand why you want to aggravate your landlord. Do you really think this is the way to future harmony and good relations?

Three weeks waiting for a new machine is nothing, and you're not even suffering, given the use of the other machine. Seems like you're just ranting for the sake of it.
The following 4 users would like to thank for this useful post:
This user groans at for this post:
  #8  
Old 17.09.2020, 16:05
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: Zurich
Posts: 19
Groaned at 11 Times in 7 Posts
Thanked 17 Times in 7 Posts
olwe has earned some respectolwe has earned some respect
Re: Replacing a broken washing machine

Quote:
I fail to understand why you want to aggravate your landlord. Do you really think this is the way to future harmony and good relations?

Three weeks waiting for a new machine is nothing, and you're not even suffering, given the use of the other machine. Seems like you're just ranting for the sake of it.
I'm not sure why you're being so aggressive. 3 weeks is a lot, considering he replaced my dishwasher in less than a week. 3 weeks is a lot for a family of 4 that used to have its own washing machine for the last 30 (6 with kids) years. 3 weeks is a lot when you have to carry 7+ baskets of laundry up and down 4 flights of stairs cause the apartment building doesn't have a lift. 3 weeks is a lot when you're given 1 day, Saturday, which is a free for all day, and you have to be there at the crack of dawn to be the first to wash.

I am sorry, that might be OK for you, but I did the whole shared washing machine and I don't care for it. I want to throw something in the washing machine now, not wait till Saturday.

Why do I always have to justify unrelated questions when I post in this forum. The only useful link was from MVB. All the rest are random comments one expects to find on 4chan, not here.

Thanks anyway...
The following 4 users would like to thank olwe for this useful post:
The following 2 users groan at olwe for this post:
  #9  
Old 17.09.2020, 16:33
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Replacing a broken washing machine

Quote:
View Post
I'm not sure why you're being so aggressive.
Me being aggresive? I'm not the one who wrote:
Quote:
View Post
I just want to maybe light a fire under the owner's ass
Quote:
View Post

Why do I always have to justify unrelated questions when I post in this forum.
It's what we do. Welcome.
The following 2 users would like to thank for this useful post:
This user groans at for this post:
  #10  
Old 17.09.2020, 16:42
Phil_MCR's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Basel
Posts: 14,550
Groaned at 281 Times in 187 Posts
Thanked 18,384 Times in 7,702 Posts
Phil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Replacing a broken washing machine

not sure why it is taking so long. you should be able to order online and get one delivered and fitted within a week. i'm wondering if covid delays or he's trying to get a specific replacement model (under guarantee?). if the machine has been ordered, then what else can he do except wait. maybe ask what delivery time was quoted.
The following 3 users would like to thank Phil_MCR for this useful post:
  #11  
Old 17.09.2020, 17:10
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: Zurich
Posts: 19
Groaned at 11 Times in 7 Posts
Thanked 17 Times in 7 Posts
olwe has earned some respectolwe has earned some respect
Re: Replacing a broken washing machine

Quote:
Me being aggresive? I'm not the one who wrote:
It's a joke obviously and what's wrong to try to get the owner to move his ass. He's obviously delaying for a reason.
Quote:
It's what we do. Welcome.
What you do is aggravate others looking at your post history.
The following 2 users groan at olwe for this post:
  #12  
Old 17.09.2020, 17:30
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Location: LaCote
Posts: 1,152
Groaned at 7 Times in 7 Posts
Thanked 2,104 Times in 793 Posts
Sigh has a reputation beyond reputeSigh has a reputation beyond reputeSigh has a reputation beyond reputeSigh has a reputation beyond reputeSigh has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Replacing a broken washing machine

Quote:
View Post

What you do is aggravate others looking at your post history.
You call somebody creepy for looking at post history & then you do the same
The following 3 users would like to thank Sigh for this useful post:
This user groans at Sigh for this post:
  #13  
Old 17.09.2020, 17:31
Sean Connery's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Zurich
Posts: 5,562
Groaned at 58 Times in 54 Posts
Thanked 7,553 Times in 3,387 Posts
Sean Connery has a reputation beyond reputeSean Connery has a reputation beyond reputeSean Connery has a reputation beyond reputeSean Connery has a reputation beyond reputeSean Connery has a reputation beyond reputeSean Connery has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Replacing a broken washing machine

Quote:
View Post
It's a joke obviously and what's wrong to try to get the owner to move his ass. He's obviously delaying for a reason.
I'm going to guess the reason:
  1. He is Ace1 in real life
  2. Your attitude, if it's anything like on here, is getting it de-prioritized
  3. He's on holiday
  4. Someone else is on holiday
  5. Sometimes things take time
  6. It's Thursday
  7. It's a first world problem
The following 3 users would like to thank Sean Connery for this useful post:
This user groans at Sean Connery for this post:
  #14  
Old 17.09.2020, 17:53
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: Zurich
Posts: 19
Groaned at 11 Times in 7 Posts
Thanked 17 Times in 7 Posts
olwe has earned some respectolwe has earned some respect
Re: Replacing a broken washing machine

Quote:
View Post
You call somebody creepy for looking at post history & then you do the same
How many accounts you got?
  #15  
Old 17.09.2020, 19:24
st2lemans's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Lugano
Posts: 31,780
Groaned at 2,368 Times in 1,722 Posts
Thanked 38,746 Times in 18,256 Posts
st2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Replacing a broken washing machine

Quote:
View Post
I'm not an animal... JK!
Who is JK?

Oh, the singer for Jamiroquai!

Tom
  #16  
Old 17.09.2020, 19:57
AbFab's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Zürich
Posts: 8,331
Groaned at 353 Times in 241 Posts
Thanked 12,262 Times in 4,202 Posts
AbFab has a reputation beyond reputeAbFab has a reputation beyond reputeAbFab has a reputation beyond reputeAbFab has a reputation beyond reputeAbFab has a reputation beyond reputeAbFab has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Replacing a broken washing machine

Quote:
View Post
That's kinda creepy, and yes that's right!

Not sure why it's important though
It‘s not kinda creepy - it‘s the internet in it‘s simplest form.

3 weeks wait?? This is Switzerland...
This user would like to thank AbFab for this useful post:
  #17  
Old 17.09.2020, 20:25
st2lemans's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Lugano
Posts: 31,780
Groaned at 2,368 Times in 1,722 Posts
Thanked 38,746 Times in 18,256 Posts
st2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Replacing a broken washing machine

Just buy a new one yourself, problem solved!

Tom
The following 3 users would like to thank st2lemans for this useful post:
 




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Any recourse for broken sole communal washing machine? Katerina Nick Daily life 27 25.11.2019 21:59
Washing clothes with no washing machine!? highsandlows Other/general 23 15.11.2015 22:31
Miele charging 250 CHF for replacing soap drawer of Washing Machine Guest Housing in general 2 07.09.2012 19:46
washing machine broken... on friday... Ouchboy Complaints corner 10 17.07.2010 22:26
Washing machine is broken Sutter Complaints corner 60 06.02.2009 12:06


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 22:04.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0