Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Housing in general  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21  
Old 07.10.2020, 13:22
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Oct 2020
Location: Zurich
Posts: 24
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 3 Times in 2 Posts
CheshireCa has no particular reputation at present
Re: Split unit AC - Freienbach

Quote:
View Post
Have you had your thyroid checked? A serious question...

Yes. It's not an ilness, just a strange sensitivity to heat, and especially sun. I have been like this my whole life. I can withstand cold temperatures really well (down to minus 10 I'll just put on a light jacket, and won't need heating), but can get heat struck easily if exposed to temperatures of 20 or above for a prolonged period. Or 30 or above for a short period.
I use to shower in the snow for fun in the winter.

On the plus side, I am unlikely to need much heating if at all in Switzerland.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 07.10.2020, 13:23
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Oct 2020
Location: Zurich
Posts: 24
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 3 Times in 2 Posts
CheshireCa has no particular reputation at present
Re: Split unit AC - Freienbach

Quote:
View Post
Rural house in Freienbach? Good luck.

Here's one in Einsiedeln: https://www.comparis.ch/immobilien/m.../show/24418165
Looks like a nice house, but a bit large. 3-4 rooms is enough for me.
Anyhow, I'll research properties around. I see from comments here that finding what I want in Freienbach might indeed be hard, so I might widen the search.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 07.10.2020, 13:50
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: SZ
Posts: 10,419
Groaned at 29 Times in 25 Posts
Thanked 23,967 Times in 7,543 Posts
meloncollie has a reputation beyond reputemeloncollie has a reputation beyond reputemeloncollie has a reputation beyond reputemeloncollie has a reputation beyond reputemeloncollie has a reputation beyond reputemeloncollie has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Split unit AC - Freienbach

Quote:
View Post

The portable AC you have - I assume it's the regular unified condenser unit? I used to have long ago a portable split AC, that comes with 2 units and a flexible copper cable. But these are not sold anymore I think. It was much stronger than the unified one, and did not leak air from outsdie, as the units were separate.
It was also more energy efficient than the regular portables. A shame they stopped making them.


The portable split unit you used - is it still in sale today? Did you ever install a mounted one? Any applications or legal permits you had to get? Or do I just:
1. Agree with the landlord.
2. Find a fitting company.
3. Buy a unit.
4. Profit
?
Our unit is an Enviracare 9.0, (which I think is Honeywell). It's one of the old style, with the main 'portable' (luggable by a team of oxen would be more accurate) unit inside and the compressor unit outside, cable connecting the two. It's actually very efficient to run, and while it can't cool the whole house it does enough to make a hot summer bearable.

A quick google brings up lots of e-bay type sites, so I'm guessing not made anymore. But there must be something similar - or hopefully better - on the market today.

I seem to recall a fairly recent thread on split units - I'll see if I can find it and then will add the link.

We bought the unit during that horrible heat wave of 2003, it was actually the last one left, in all the stores in the area. So little thought went into it's purchse, we just got lucky that it has proven to be so dependable all these years.

If you are renting, Step number 1 is the most important. A typical portable does not need this but if you are putting in a mounted unit you will be doing work that likely needs a landlord's agreement. Make sure you make it crystal clear that you will foot the cost, as this is where many landlords would baulk. Also find out if you have to remove the unit and replaster walls when you leave, or if the landlord would 'allow' you to leave it.

Have your relo people write this into your rental contract.

Speaking of relo help: Make sure your agent truly understands how important this is to you. This is something of a generalization, but typically in Switzerland people are serious, and I mean serious, sun and heat worshippers. Amount of sunlight is used a selling point, people seem to heat their houses to sauna temps. I know from my own experience that few here truly comprehend what it means to be unable to tolerate heat or sunlight, as this is far outside their experience.

Your agent might brush your need for cool off, might interpret it according to his or her preferences. So make sure that point is clear, and keep repeating how important this is to you.

Then make it the agent's job to find and organize what you need. That is what you are paying for. (And if organizing installations is not in a standard package with your agency, ask for a proposal to provide that service.)


Quote:
View Post
I do like green around the house in general.
Please move to Ausserschwyz - we need more green-friendlies!

All the best with the move.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 07.10.2020, 15:24
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Oct 2020
Location: Zurich
Posts: 24
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 3 Times in 2 Posts
CheshireCa has no particular reputation at present
Re: Split unit AC - Freienbach

Quote:
View Post
Our unit is an Enviracare 9.0, (which I think is Honeywell). It's one of the old style, with the main 'portable' (luggable by a team of oxen would be more accurate) unit inside and the compressor unit outside, cable connecting the two. It's actually very efficient to run, and while it can't cool the whole house it does enough to make a hot summer bearable.

A quick google brings up lots of e-bay type sites, so I'm guessing not made anymore. But there must be something similar - or hopefully better - on the market today.

I seem to recall a fairly recent thread on split units - I'll see if I can find it and then will add the link.

We bought the unit during that horrible heat wave of 2003, it was actually the last one left, in all the stores in the area. So little thought went into it's purchse, we just got lucky that it has proven to be so dependable all these years.

If you are renting, Step number 1 is the most important. A typical portable does not need this but if you are putting in a mounted unit you will be doing work that likely needs a landlord's agreement. Make sure you make it crystal clear that you will foot the cost, as this is where many landlords would baulk. Also find out if you have to remove the unit and replaster walls when you leave, or if the landlord would 'allow' you to leave it.

Have your relo people write this into your rental contract.

Speaking of relo help: Make sure your agent truly understands how important this is to you. This is something of a generalization, but typically in Switzerland people are serious, and I mean serious, sun and heat worshippers. Amount of sunlight is used a selling point, people seem to heat their houses to sauna temps. I know from my own experience that few here truly comprehend what it means to be unable to tolerate heat or sunlight, as this is far outside their experience.

Your agent might brush your need for cool off, might interpret it according to his or her preferences. So make sure that point is clear, and keep repeating how important this is to you.

Then make it the agent's job to find and organize what you need. That is what you are paying for. (And if organizing installations is not in a standard package with your agency, ask for a proposal to provide that service.)




Please move to Ausserschwyz - we need more green-friendlies!

All the best with the move.
Oh yeah, that's very similar to the unit I had long ago. These are great but I think they stopped making them as gas was leaking out of them often.
If I manage to get a few of these, great.

I will explain both to the agent and the landlord, thank you. I lived in London, so used to dealing with sun lovers who fail to understand that I treat the sun as a vampire would, got all the strange looks walking around with a parasol haha

And I'll consider Ausserschwyz. Looks interesting. I am just starting my search, so the net is wide.
Thanks for your help!
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 07.10.2020, 15:26
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Basel
Posts: 1,691
Groaned at 34 Times in 28 Posts
Thanked 983 Times in 589 Posts
Landers has an excellent reputationLanders has an excellent reputationLanders has an excellent reputationLanders has an excellent reputation
Re: Split unit AC - Freienbach

Quote:
Second, look at getting one or more portable split systems from Fust (Novamatic CL 990 split) that are 15,000 btu (good for 55m2 - 146m3). The compresser can be hung out the window and the window can be easily sealed (the cable is not very thick).

This is incorrect. Portable split units have the compressor in the indoor unit so what you hang out of the window only has the noise from the fan. These Fust units are noisy inside.



Fixed split units can be installed in a similar way to the portable ones, i.e. without making them too fixed but there you do have the compressor unit outside. Whether this would get around the rules, if there are any, I would doubt. However, if you buy a place where the outside unit can be hidden or is hard to see, and have sound reducing panels around it, and maybe if you don't have onlooking neighbours you could probably get away with it.


16C coldness from a/c is "colder" than 16C ambient temperature on an autumn day and I feel sorry for you that you have such a condition where this would be comfortable to you.
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 07.10.2020, 15:37
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Basel
Posts: 1,691
Groaned at 34 Times in 28 Posts
Thanked 983 Times in 589 Posts
Landers has an excellent reputationLanders has an excellent reputationLanders has an excellent reputationLanders has an excellent reputation
Re: Split unit AC - Freienbach

The argo ulisse is probably the best you can buy for a semi-permanent home install without going crazy on price.


We got a couple of used Stiebel Eltron ACPS units for just over 100eur each which are also good but I don't think they make them anymore. If they ever pack up then I'll be getting the Argo.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 07.10.2020, 16:09
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Oct 2020
Location: Zurich
Posts: 24
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 3 Times in 2 Posts
CheshireCa has no particular reputation at present
Re: Split unit AC - Freienbach

That's actually an original idea - I could buy a non portable split unit, and mount it in a temporary fashion, sacrificing a window for this purpose.

It should be easy to hide the outside unit given the style of living and house I am looking for.

Budget is not a problem. As this is something important to me, I am willing to pay a lot. A 10K F budget or more would not deter me from getting an AC.

And no need to feel sorry. I am what I am. There are drawbacks but I find advantages as well. Winter is an amazing season for me, and I rarely need more than a light jacket even in much colder countries (the last time I wore a scarf it was minus 18). And my wife loves it, she claims that I am a portable heather (my body is very warm).
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 07.10.2020, 16:16
Village Idiot's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Basel
Posts: 3,623
Groaned at 33 Times in 30 Posts
Thanked 6,810 Times in 2,194 Posts
Village Idiot has a reputation beyond reputeVillage Idiot has a reputation beyond reputeVillage Idiot has a reputation beyond reputeVillage Idiot has a reputation beyond reputeVillage Idiot has a reputation beyond reputeVillage Idiot has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Split unit AC - Freienbach

Are monoblock units an option?

https://www.klimaworld.com/klima/kli...mageraete.html
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 07.10.2020, 16:24
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Oct 2020
Location: Zurich
Posts: 24
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 3 Times in 2 Posts
CheshireCa has no particular reputation at present
Re: Split unit AC - Freienbach

Thanks, but no. The problem with these, as well as the other non split units, is that they actually send air out. As a result air pressure inside drops, and it will inevitably be substituted with air from outside.
Usually they are also weaker.
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 08.10.2020, 13:29
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Belmont
Posts: 63
Groaned at 10 Times in 5 Posts
Thanked 54 Times in 16 Posts
Nocando has no particular reputation at present
Re: Split unit AC - Freienbach

Quote:
View Post
Thanks, but no. The problem with these, as well as the other non split units, is that they actually send air out. As a result air pressure inside drops, and it will inevitably be substituted with air from outside.
Usually they are also weaker.
This is not true - the monoblock unit sucks air from the room, runs it over the evaporator coils and returns the now cooled air into the room. And since this a continuous process there is no pressure gradient.
The problem with a monoblock unit is the installation.
Reply With Quote
  #31  
Old 08.10.2020, 15:25
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Oct 2020
Location: Zurich
Posts: 24
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 3 Times in 2 Posts
CheshireCa has no particular reputation at present
Re: Split unit AC - Freienbach

Quote:
View Post
This is not true - the monoblock unit sucks air from the room, runs it over the evaporator coils and returns the now cooled air into the room. And since this a continuous process there is no pressure gradient.
The problem with a monoblock unit is the installation.
Ah, so these are evaporation based coolers. You are right, they don't send air out. And there are portable versions of these from what I recall. The problem is that they are weak sadly.
If we look at the goal of maintaining a temperature no higher than 16-18 degrees, than on days where it is 30 or more outside they might fail.

I am more than willing to go to the trouble of paying 10K F for a proper split unit + installation + insulation, to avoid even 1-2 weeks a year of temperature that is too high for me, as I suffer a lot when it happens, and also become completely dysphunctional as I can't sleep at temperatures above 18 degrees.
Reply With Quote
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Wanted apartment in Freienbach (SZ) Castro Property wanted 8 26.09.2020 08:31
New in Freienbach Gemma82 Introductions 1 20.10.2012 17:26
New to Freienbach - Hello JaneyW Introductions 1 31.10.2010 21:03
What are Lachen or Freienbach like? donpedro Introductions 13 11.08.2008 21:50
Family in Freienbach raistlin Family matters/health 0 13.07.2007 21:40


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 02:52.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0