Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Housing in general  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 11.11.2020, 21:38
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2020
Location: Zurich
Posts: 59
Groaned at 4 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 10 Times in 7 Posts
CheshireCa has no particular reputation at present
Can a landlord forbid portable split AC?

Hi Folk,

So following advise I got here, I discovered that portable split ACs exist in Switzerland (they are the same as a proper AC, but without installation). And I found some that have over 20K BTU, which is powerful enough.

The problem is that when I went viewing apartments, and asked landlords about it, they had no idea what this is, and due to them not understanding and prefering to live a simple life, chose other tenants.

The question is - should I even ask them? These devices require no modification of the home at all, are fully portable, and I found some that are quiet. Not to mention that some of the places I view make it easy to hide them from naighboors.

So do I even need their permission to use one?
If I do use one without asking them, and they object, what would happen? Am I able to stand my ground on this and refuse to remove it due to it not altering the apartment? What would be the consequence (including possible escalation) of such a situation?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 11.11.2020, 21:52
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Zurich
Posts: 12,949
Groaned at 1,099 Times in 753 Posts
Thanked 18,580 Times in 7,204 Posts
Chuff has a reputation beyond reputeChuff has a reputation beyond reputeChuff has a reputation beyond reputeChuff has a reputation beyond reputeChuff has a reputation beyond reputeChuff has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Can a landlord forbid portable split AC?

Why would you need permission to use a portable AC unit that requires no installation? How would they even know you were using one?

I mean seriously, I am surprised after being turned down for multiple apartmets you hadn't figured this out already, but use some common sense and don't ask them again because lots of people in CH use them in apartments during peak summer when temperatures can get unbearable.
Reply With Quote
The following 6 users would like to thank Chuff for this useful post:
  #3  
Old 11.11.2020, 21:52
Medea Fleecestealer's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Switzerland
Posts: 21,848
Groaned at 395 Times in 304 Posts
Thanked 16,803 Times in 9,477 Posts
Medea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Can a landlord forbid portable split AC?

If they're unhappy they could give you notice to leave the property, i.e. end the rental agreement.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank Medea Fleecestealer for this useful post:
  #4  
Old 11.11.2020, 21:57
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Basel
Posts: 2,433
Groaned at 55 Times in 46 Posts
Thanked 1,638 Times in 949 Posts
Landers has a reputation beyond reputeLanders has a reputation beyond reputeLanders has a reputation beyond reputeLanders has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Can a landlord forbid portable split AC?

Quote:
View Post
should I even ask them?
no


...but you need to be sure that it won't disturb anyone.


BTW they're similar, not the same, with one important difference but you know that already.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Landers for this useful post:
  #5  
Old 11.11.2020, 22:01
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Nyon
Posts: 4,282
Groaned at 208 Times in 152 Posts
Thanked 5,858 Times in 2,734 Posts
bowlie has a reputation beyond reputebowlie has a reputation beyond reputebowlie has a reputation beyond reputebowlie has a reputation beyond reputebowlie has a reputation beyond reputebowlie has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Can a landlord forbid portable split AC?

Unless they are paying for the electricity or the unit is disturbing other tenants I can’t see them having a problem. But if the noise causes complaints you might have to stop using it.
Reply With Quote
The following 4 users would like to thank bowlie for this useful post:
  #6  
Old 11.11.2020, 22:01
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2020
Location: Zurich
Posts: 59
Groaned at 4 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 10 Times in 7 Posts
CheshireCa has no particular reputation at present
Re: Can a landlord forbid portable split AC?

Quote:
View Post
Why would you need permission to use a portable AC unit that requires no installation? How would they even know you were using one?

I mean seriously, I am surprised after being turned down for multiple apartmets you hadn't figured this out already, but use some common sense and don't ask them again because lots of people in CH use them in apartments during peak summer when temperatures can get unbearable.
Well, I am a very upfront person, I was trying to be transperant with them.

I guess I should keep my mouth shut?
What actually happens if they serve notice? I thought that usually there are specific dates where I can leave and need to give notice ahead of time, unless I find substitute tenants. So by the same logic - it would take them a long while to get rid of me, right? And by then summer will be over, so there is no real point in them serving notice as by the time it'll take effect the AC won't be in use?

Last edited by CheshireCa; 11.11.2020 at 22:20.
Reply With Quote
This user groans at CheshireCa for this post:
  #7  
Old 11.11.2020, 22:25
Dinivan's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Geneva
Posts: 183
Groaned at 28 Times in 17 Posts
Thanked 228 Times in 118 Posts
Dinivan is considered knowledgeableDinivan is considered knowledgeableDinivan is considered knowledgeable
Re: Can a landlord forbid portable split AC?

Quote:
View Post
Well, I am a very upfront person, I was trying to be transperant with them.

I guess I should keep my mouth shut?
What actually happens if they serve notice? I thought that usually there are specific dates where I can leave and need to give notice ahead of time, unless I find substitute tenants. So by the same logic - it would take them a long while to get rid of me, right? And by then summer will be over, so there is no real point in them serving notice as by the time it'll take effect the AC won't be in use?
Yes you should keep your mouth shut. They have as little say on your portable AC as they have on whether you have TV, a laptop, a bed, or a pair of stools.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank Dinivan for this useful post:
  #8  
Old 11.11.2020, 22:36
Cherub's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Baselstadt
Posts: 764
Groaned at 3 Times in 3 Posts
Thanked 891 Times in 398 Posts
Cherub has a reputation beyond reputeCherub has a reputation beyond reputeCherub has a reputation beyond reputeCherub has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Can a landlord forbid portable split AC?

At my last place we had the portable type with the sleeve that attaches to the window so you can vent the hose out. We were on the 5th floor under a boiling hot roof terrace and never had any complaints about noise, then again we lived opposite a red light area and nobody in the building could sleep anyway.

We used to put it on for a few hours in the evening and close the bedroom door, switching it off at bedtime. It let us sleep with the windows closed as the room was cool.

The apartment we live in now was built in 2018 and has geothermal underfloor heating and an air cooling/circulation system. However, we did ask the property co what the position was on having portable aircon and they said it was fine as long as the noise didn't cause disturbance. We haven't needed to use it here.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Cherub for this useful post:
  #9  
Old 12.11.2020, 07:17
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Zurich
Posts: 12,949
Groaned at 1,099 Times in 753 Posts
Thanked 18,580 Times in 7,204 Posts
Chuff has a reputation beyond reputeChuff has a reputation beyond reputeChuff has a reputation beyond reputeChuff has a reputation beyond reputeChuff has a reputation beyond reputeChuff has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Can a landlord forbid portable split AC?

Quote:
View Post
Well, I am a very upfront person, I was trying to be transperant with them.

I guess I should keep my mouth shut?
What actually happens if they serve notice? I thought that usually there are specific dates where I can leave and need to give notice ahead of time, unless I find substitute tenants. So by the same logic - it would take them a long while to get rid of me, right? And by then summer will be over, so there is no real point in them serving notice as by the time it'll take effect the AC won't be in use?
I get your good and honest intentions, but in this case they are unnecessary and it it's losing you apartments you need to not do it.

You are not going to get served notice for occasionally using a portable AC during Summer, many people do it.

Last edited by Chuff; 12.11.2020 at 09:03.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Chuff for this useful post:
  #10  
Old 12.11.2020, 07:50
NickGB's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Zug
Posts: 899
Groaned at 9 Times in 9 Posts
Thanked 1,149 Times in 468 Posts
NickGB has a reputation beyond reputeNickGB has a reputation beyond reputeNickGB has a reputation beyond reputeNickGB has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Can a landlord forbid portable split AC?

Quote:
View Post
Yes you should keep your mouth shut. They have as little say on your portable AC as they have on whether you have TV, a laptop, a bed, or a pair of stools.

Does everybody know what a split AC is? It requires quite a large device to be mounted on the outside of the building. I'm not sure about the noise, but it certainly looks unsightly and I wouldn't be that keen on my neighbours having one.


It's not like a TV, bed etc because it is mounted outside the building.
Reply With Quote
The following 4 users would like to thank NickGB for this useful post:
  #11  
Old 12.11.2020, 08:05
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Zurich
Posts: 12,949
Groaned at 1,099 Times in 753 Posts
Thanked 18,580 Times in 7,204 Posts
Chuff has a reputation beyond reputeChuff has a reputation beyond reputeChuff has a reputation beyond reputeChuff has a reputation beyond reputeChuff has a reputation beyond reputeChuff has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Can a landlord forbid portable split AC?

Quote:
View Post
Does everybody know what a split AC is? It requires quite a large device to be mounted on the outside of the building. I'm not sure about the noise, but it certainly looks unsightly and I wouldn't be that keen on my neighbours having one.


It's not like a TV, bed etc because it is mounted outside the building.
She very likely just used the wrong terminology:

Quote:
View Post
I discovered that portable split ACs exist in Switzerland (they are the same as a proper AC, but without installation)
If something needs to be mounted externally then it requires installation. All she needs is a portable one.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 12.11.2020, 08:28
Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Basel
Posts: 139
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 108 Times in 62 Posts
jjake has no particular reputation at present
Re: Can a landlord forbid portable split AC?

Well, you certainly can find split portable ACs .. for example: https://www.galaxus.ch/en/s2/product...2?tagIds=40-62

Not sure about placement - if you have the external unit on your balcony, it wouldn't be visible ...
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank jjake for this useful post:
  #13  
Old 12.11.2020, 08:57
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Zurich
Posts: 12,949
Groaned at 1,099 Times in 753 Posts
Thanked 18,580 Times in 7,204 Posts
Chuff has a reputation beyond reputeChuff has a reputation beyond reputeChuff has a reputation beyond reputeChuff has a reputation beyond reputeChuff has a reputation beyond reputeChuff has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Can a landlord forbid portable split AC?

Quote:
View Post
Well, you certainly can find split portable ACs .. for example: https://www.galaxus.ch/en/s2/product...2?tagIds=40-62

Not sure about placement - if you have the external unit on your balcony, it wouldn't be visible ...
Yes, agreed, if she has a split portable unit then she can still place it out on the balcony, but as for mounting it externally on the side of a building in any way that required drilling into the external wall, this generally wouldn't be allowed.

The problem however with a split portable unit is that the fan noise will be outside. This means it could be heard by the neighbours either when they are out on their balcony or when they have their window open while sleeping. This could be really annoying if the OP's balcony is not really private and separated from the next closest person.

A regular portable AC unit keep s the noise inside and this is the one that the vast majority of people use, for example these https://www.delonghi.com/en-int/prod...r-conditioners

Last edited by Chuff; 12.11.2020 at 09:31.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 12.11.2020, 09:28
newtoswitz's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Rapperswil
Posts: 3,331
Groaned at 55 Times in 51 Posts
Thanked 3,977 Times in 1,811 Posts
newtoswitz has a reputation beyond reputenewtoswitz has a reputation beyond reputenewtoswitz has a reputation beyond reputenewtoswitz has a reputation beyond reputenewtoswitz has a reputation beyond reputenewtoswitz has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Can a landlord forbid portable split AC?

Also bear in mind that Zurich has quite prohibitive regulations regarding air conditioning:

https://translate.google.com/?sl=de&...l&op=translate

I assume it doesn't apply to portable ones, but it doesn't actually say that afaik.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 12.11.2020, 09:30
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Zürich
Posts: 141
Groaned at 9 Times in 8 Posts
Thanked 126 Times in 68 Posts
erchegyia has made some interesting contributions
Re: Can a landlord forbid portable split AC?

Quote:
View Post
if you have the external unit on your balcony, it wouldn't be visible ...
still loud as hell. direct neighbors could even be disturbed by its vibration especially when the compressor turns on/off.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank erchegyia for this useful post:
  #16  
Old 12.11.2020, 09:44
Axa's Avatar
Axa Axa is offline
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: Suhr, Aargau
Posts: 2,271
Groaned at 27 Times in 27 Posts
Thanked 3,036 Times in 1,405 Posts
Axa has a reputation beyond reputeAxa has a reputation beyond reputeAxa has a reputation beyond reputeAxa has a reputation beyond reputeAxa has a reputation beyond reputeAxa has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Can a landlord forbid portable split AC?

20K BTU is not a small one, old electrical installations might have a problem handling it. In Watts consumption it may be similar to a clothes iron, but we use irons for 0.5-1 hour while the AC compressor may be starting several times per hour for several hours.

Maybe not a worry in a single home, but in an apartment building with and old electrical installation there might be a case of every flat using a lot of energy at the same time and the AC may be the straw that breaks the camel's back.

Once my electric teapot failed and I found out my last flat had no circuit breakers but good old fashioned fuses. Then I found out the fuses where shared by 2 flats in the same floor and that it's impossible to buy a fuse on a Sunday. So a faulty teapot left me and my neighbor's kitchen without power for more than 1 day.......so careful with old installations.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Axa for this useful post:
  #17  
Old 12.11.2020, 09:45
fatmanfilms's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Verbier
Posts: 20,303
Groaned at 429 Times in 320 Posts
Thanked 20,702 Times in 10,982 Posts
fatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Can a landlord forbid portable split AC?

Quote:
View Post
still loud as hell. direct neighbors could even be disturbed by its vibration especially when the compressor turns on/off.
Newish ones are quite quiet, I have 6 one of which has a noisy fan, the others are not an issue.
Quote:
View Post
20K BTU is not a small one, old electrical installations might have a problem handling it. In Watts consumption it may be similar to a clothes iron, but we use irons for 0.5-1 hour while the AC compressor may be starting several times per hour for several hours.

Maybe not a worry in a single home, but in an apartment building with and old electrical installation there might be a case of every flat using a lot of energy at the same time and the AC may be the straw that breaks the camel's back.

Once my electric teapot failed and I found out my last flat had no circuit breakers but good old fashioned fuses. Then I found out the fuses where shared by 2 flats in the same floor and that it's impossible to buy a fuse on a Sunday. So a faulty teapot left me and my neighbor's kitchen without power for more than 1 day.......so careful with old installations.
12k BTU is what I have in a small bedroom, 18k for the kitchen. We have 84k BTU for a 130m2 apartment gives an idea of what you need if you are doing it properly.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank fatmanfilms for this useful post:
  #18  
Old 12.11.2020, 11:45
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2020
Location: Zurich
Posts: 59
Groaned at 4 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 10 Times in 7 Posts
CheshireCa has no particular reputation at present
Thank you everyone for the replies!

Quote:
View Post
Does everybody know what a split AC is? It requires quite a large device to be mounted on the outside of the building. I'm not sure about the noise, but it certainly looks unsightly and I wouldn't be that keen on my neighbours having one.


It's not like a TV, bed etc because it is mounted outside the building.
A portable one does not require mounting. It will be places on the balcony, or just outside in the garden. The places I view have quite spacious private balconies or are ground floor and have a substantial private garden. Exactly for that reason. And also I like privacy.

Quote:
View Post
Also bear in mind that Zurich has quite prohibitive regulations regarding air conditioning:

https://translate.google.com/?sl=de&...l&op=translate

I assume it doesn't apply to portable ones, but it doesn't actually say that afaik.
I am planning to live in Hofe. From what I understood there is no law forbidding the split AC, especially not the portable ones.

Quote:
View Post
20K BTU is not a small one, old electrical installations might have a problem handling it. In Watts consumption it may be similar to a clothes iron, but we use irons for 0.5-1 hour while the AC compressor may be starting several times per hour for several hours.

Maybe not a worry in a single home, but in an apartment building with and old electrical installation there might be a case of every flat using a lot of energy at the same time and the AC may be the straw that breaks the camel's back.

Once my electric teapot failed and I found out my last flat had no circuit breakers but good old fashioned fuses. Then I found out the fuses where shared by 2 flats in the same floor and that it's impossible to buy a fuse on a Sunday. So a faulty teapot left me and my neighbor's kitchen without power for more than 1 day.......so careful with old installations.
This is actually a good point, thank you for raising it. I will have to check about the electrical supply. Though most apartments I was viewing were relatively new and modern, so I hope for this not to be a problem. Worst comes to worst, I can also use a small portable generator.

Quote:
View Post
Newish ones are quite quiet, I have 6 one of which has a noisy fan, the others are not an issue.


12k BTU is what I have in a small bedroom, 18k for the kitchen. We have 84k BTU for a 130m2 apartment gives an idea of what you need if you are doing it properly.
Wow, can I be your friend? I love AC and this is more BTU per sqm that I ever had. I was aiming at a single 20-30K BTU for the whole apartment. But maybe it actually makes sense to have several smaller ones, as the small ones can be very quiet.
In general though, as you said - modern ACs improved a lot in terms of noise, and some of them are so quiet they are barely noticeable (going as low as 20 Dbs).
If it gets loud I can also noise insulate it, but I do not plan for it to generate significant noise as I don't want to annoy the neighboors and it will annoy me as well.

BTW, with inverter units, the compressor no longer has the rigid on/off cycle, which both saves energy and avoids strong vibrations and noise.
As mentioned, AC units progressed a lot

Last edited by roegner; 12.11.2020 at 11:48. Reason: Merging consucutive posts
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank CheshireCa for this useful post:
  #19  
Old 12.11.2020, 11:53
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Basel
Posts: 2,433
Groaned at 55 Times in 46 Posts
Thanked 1,638 Times in 949 Posts
Landers has a reputation beyond reputeLanders has a reputation beyond reputeLanders has a reputation beyond reputeLanders has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Can a landlord forbid portable split AC?

*Portable* split units have the compressor on the *inside* unit. The outside unit is just a fan. You don't need to worry about outside compressor noise but rather inside compressor noise annoying your neighbours but this would generally be the same as for mono-block units. The outside fan makes some noise of course. Generally the more money you pay the quieter the units. It's worth checking out the dB ratings. Personally I wouldn't get one of the 'cheap' ones from e.g. FUST. The Ulisse one mentioned is what I'd recommend although the Galaxus price is a bit too high for this unit.

Last edited by Landers; 12.11.2020 at 12:04.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Landers for this useful post:
  #20  
Old 12.11.2020, 12:11
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: la cote
Posts: 3,382
Groaned at 19 Times in 12 Posts
Thanked 2,943 Times in 1,568 Posts
runningdeer has a reputation beyond reputerunningdeer has a reputation beyond reputerunningdeer has a reputation beyond reputerunningdeer has a reputation beyond reputerunningdeer has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Can a landlord forbid portable split AC?

Maybe not the landlord, but please be aware that certain places, i. e. Canton or City now restrict or otherwise may prohibit the use of or installation of air conditioning. For example, Geneva apparently had strict rules and all comfort a/c require an authorisation. Apparently something similar is also in the works for VD as it relates to energy consumption. Read the requirements carefully as to how they apply to your area. Here are Geneva rules for example.
https://www.ge.ch/rafraichir-climati...sation-confort
Reply With Quote
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The best portable split air conditioner 1 year old 8003 Zurich CHF 530 mek Items for sale 11 25.04.2019 19:30
Portable air conditioner [ZH] Jaceq Items for sale 4 01.06.2018 11:44
Can my boss forbid me to make personal phone calls during my break time? Konuku Employment 42 08.05.2014 17:32
Can my housemate forbid a friend from visiting me? Liverbird Housing in general 147 05.01.2011 22:24
Where can I buy a portable BBQ? cremebrulee Food and drink 4 19.08.2009 18:17


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 05:31.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0