Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Housing in general  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 21.11.2020, 23:31
Relagu's Avatar
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2019
Location: London
Posts: 35
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 14 Times in 9 Posts
Relagu has no particular reputation at present
My GF works in Bern, I work in Vevey. Where to live?

Hi all!

We're looking to rent and bearing in mind where our jobs are we are looking at best options.
My partner works in Bern and will need to be in the office from Monday to Friday. She will need to take train.
I work in Vevey area, working from home/office is flexible, plus I've got a car.

We're looking at places such as Fribourg, Bulle... but not sure which one makes more sense in regards commuting times, cost of living, rental prices...

Any ideas on where should we looking to rent?

Thank you!

Last edited by Relagu; 22.11.2020 at 00:15.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 21.11.2020, 23:59
st2lemans's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Lugano
Posts: 29,182
Groaned at 2,046 Times in 1,528 Posts
Thanked 34,740 Times in 16,507 Posts
st2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond repute
Re: My GF works in Bern, I work in Vevey. Where to live?

What your nationalities?

Tom
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank st2lemans for this useful post:
  #3  
Old 22.11.2020, 00:15
Relagu's Avatar
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2019
Location: London
Posts: 35
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 14 Times in 9 Posts
Relagu has no particular reputation at present
Re: My GF works in Bern, I work in Vevey. Where to live?

Quote:
View Post
What your nationalities?

Tom
Swiss & Spanish.
Is this relevant in any way?
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Relagu for this useful post:
  #4  
Old 22.11.2020, 00:19
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: ZH
Posts: 7,145
Groaned at 68 Times in 55 Posts
Thanked 10,393 Times in 4,253 Posts
doropfiz has a reputation beyond reputedoropfiz has a reputation beyond reputedoropfiz has a reputation beyond reputedoropfiz has a reputation beyond reputedoropfiz has a reputation beyond reputedoropfiz has a reputation beyond repute
Re: My GF works in Bern, I work in Vevey. Where to live?

Nationality (and type of permit) can be relevant in that some people are not allowed to live in a different canton from their place of employment.

Obviously this doesn't apply to a Swiss person. And as far as I know it does not apply to EU people, which means you and your partner are free to choose.
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank doropfiz for this useful post:
  #5  
Old 22.11.2020, 00:37
Island Monkey's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Wallis
Posts: 4,556
Groaned at 78 Times in 45 Posts
Thanked 4,485 Times in 2,131 Posts
Island Monkey has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Monkey has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Monkey has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Monkey has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Monkey has a reputation beyond repute
Re: My GF works in Bern, I work in Vevey. Where to live?

I'd go with Fribourg, makes much more sense with the trains than Bulle.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 22.11.2020, 00:56
Verbier's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Lully VD
Posts: 4,249
Groaned at 16 Times in 16 Posts
Thanked 4,425 Times in 2,262 Posts
Verbier has a reputation beyond reputeVerbier has a reputation beyond reputeVerbier has a reputation beyond reputeVerbier has a reputation beyond reputeVerbier has a reputation beyond reputeVerbier has a reputation beyond repute
Re: My GF works in Bern, I work in Vevey. Where to live?

My suggestion would be Lausanne.

Bern is 1h20 (lots of people commute) and Vevey is 20 min by train and 30 min by car.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Verbier for this useful post:
  #7  
Old 22.11.2020, 01:02
Island Monkey's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Wallis
Posts: 4,556
Groaned at 78 Times in 45 Posts
Thanked 4,485 Times in 2,131 Posts
Island Monkey has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Monkey has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Monkey has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Monkey has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Monkey has a reputation beyond repute
Re: My GF works in Bern, I work in Vevey. Where to live?

Quote:
View Post
My suggestion would be Lausanne.

Bern is 1h20 (lots of people commute) and Vevey is 20 min by train and 30 min by car.
So the person who has to commute every day gets the long journey?
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 22.11.2020, 01:18
Relagu's Avatar
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2019
Location: London
Posts: 35
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 14 Times in 9 Posts
Relagu has no particular reputation at present
Re: My GF works in Bern, I work in Vevey. Where to live?

Quote:
View Post
My suggestion would be Lausanne.

Bern is 1h20 (lots of people commute) and Vevey is 20 min by train and 30 min by car.
Quote:
View Post
So the person who has to commute every day gets the long journey?
I agree with Island Monkey, were trying to make it doable for the person that does not have a car (depends on public transport) and works in the office Monday to Friday, even with Covid.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Relagu for this useful post:
  #9  
Old 22.11.2020, 09:05
Downerbuzz's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: town not big enough for the both of us
Posts: 860
Groaned at 39 Times in 28 Posts
Thanked 954 Times in 408 Posts
Downerbuzz has a reputation beyond reputeDownerbuzz has a reputation beyond reputeDownerbuzz has a reputation beyond reputeDownerbuzz has a reputation beyond repute
Re: My GF works in Bern, I work in Vevey. Where to live?

I would go for Fribourg. Makes her commute to Bern simple with plenty of trains leaving every 20 min or so. Your commute is also under an hour from there ( although I don't know about the trafffic ). Fribourg does have slightly higher taxes but not enough to really make a large difference.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 22.11.2020, 09:16
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Vaud
Posts: 915
Groaned at 110 Times in 53 Posts
Thanked 441 Times in 233 Posts
markalex is considered knowledgeablemarkalex is considered knowledgeablemarkalex is considered knowledgeable
Re: My GF works in Bern, I work in Vevey. Where to live?

I vote for Lausanne too. You can both catch the train. Of course you need to stand on different platforms, I think Vevey is platform 2 and Bern platform 1.

But it'll ok cause their opposite each other and you can make signs, blow kisses etc etc across the gap

There is a fast train Lausanne to Vevey and a fast Train Lausanne to Bern, save the car for weekend trips!
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 22.11.2020, 09:16
Belgianmum's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Neuchâtel
Posts: 11,777
Groaned at 194 Times in 171 Posts
Thanked 18,570 Times in 7,787 Posts
Belgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond repute
Re: My GF works in Bern, I work in Vevey. Where to live?

I would definitely choose Fribourg.

Rents are fairly cheap and taxes are low too (for Romandie and certainly lower than Lausanne) plus it’s an easy commute to Bern.

Last edited by Belgianmum; 22.11.2020 at 09:48.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 22.11.2020, 09:28
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Nyon
Posts: 3,486
Groaned at 158 Times in 118 Posts
Thanked 4,372 Times in 2,124 Posts
bowlie has a reputation beyond reputebowlie has a reputation beyond reputebowlie has a reputation beyond reputebowlie has a reputation beyond reputebowlie has a reputation beyond repute
Re: My GF works in Bern, I work in Vevey. Where to live?

Quote:
View Post
I think Vevey is platform 2
A mixture of 1, 3 and 4.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank bowlie for this useful post:
  #13  
Old 22.11.2020, 11:24
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: VD
Posts: 311
Groaned at 6 Times in 4 Posts
Thanked 357 Times in 177 Posts
AnnaSophiaA has a reputation beyond reputeAnnaSophiaA has a reputation beyond reputeAnnaSophiaA has a reputation beyond reputeAnnaSophiaA has a reputation beyond repute
Re: My GF works in Bern, I work in Vevey. Where to live?

Fribourg. Cheaper rent, easier to find an apartment, nicer city. Vevey isn’t too far by car but more importantly Bern is very close by train (half an hour).

Lausanne is expensive, hard to find apartments and you might end up in an area far from the station. Plus ... I don’t know, I don’t like Lausanne much. Too many people.

Fribourg has lower taxes than Vaud too. And it’s got plenty of restaurants and such for going out, even a fair amount of shops.
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank AnnaSophiaA for this useful post:
  #14  
Old 22.11.2020, 12:50
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Nov 2020
Location: Lausanne
Posts: 18
Groaned at 7 Times in 4 Posts
Thanked 21 Times in 9 Posts
Liar is considered knowledgeableLiar is considered knowledgeableLiar is considered knowledgeable
Re: My GF works in Bern, I work in Vevey. Where to live?

Fribourg is probably the worst option for Vevey and Bern by public transport as the trains for Vevey means transiting either via Lausanne (about 30 mins) or via Chatel St Denis after taking a slow train from Fribourg or Bulle


Romont would be a good option if Vevey is reached by car as this is on the main line from Lausanne-Berne-Zurich.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank Liar for this useful post:
  #15  
Old 22.11.2020, 13:16
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: VD
Posts: 311
Groaned at 6 Times in 4 Posts
Thanked 357 Times in 177 Posts
AnnaSophiaA has a reputation beyond reputeAnnaSophiaA has a reputation beyond reputeAnnaSophiaA has a reputation beyond reputeAnnaSophiaA has a reputation beyond repute
Re: My GF works in Bern, I work in Vevey. Where to live?

Yes Romont is definitely a good option. I understood more that they wanted to be in a city though, but Romont is a great public transport option.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank AnnaSophiaA for this useful post:
  #16  
Old 22.11.2020, 13:20
Belgianmum's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Neuchâtel
Posts: 11,777
Groaned at 194 Times in 171 Posts
Thanked 18,570 Times in 7,787 Posts
Belgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond repute
Re: My GF works in Bern, I work in Vevey. Where to live?

Quote:
View Post
Fribourg is probably the worst option for Vevey and Bern by public transport as the trains for Vevey means transiting either via Lausanne (about 30 mins) or via Chatel St Denis after taking a slow train from Fribourg or Bulle
Fribourg is a very good option for Bern using public transport, less so for Vevey but that’s likely to be the less frequently travelled route and has the car as an option.
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank Belgianmum for this useful post:
  #17  
Old 22.11.2020, 13:51
Relagu's Avatar
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2019
Location: London
Posts: 35
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 14 Times in 9 Posts
Relagu has no particular reputation at present
Re: My GF works in Bern, I work in Vevey. Where to live?

Quote:
View Post
Fribourg is probably the worst option for Vevey and Bern by public transport as the trains for Vevey means transiting either via Lausanne (about 30 mins) or via Chatel St Denis after taking a slow train from Fribourg or Bulle


Romont would be a good option if Vevey is reached by car as this is on the main line from Lausanne-Berne-Zurich.
Quote:
View Post
Yes Romont is definitely a good option. I understood more that they wanted to be in a city though, but Romont is a great public transport option.
Thanks guys, this info is super valuable. Romont indeed looks great and also is well connected with Bern with a direct train.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Relagu for this useful post:
  #18  
Old 22.11.2020, 16:01
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Fribourg
Posts: 31
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 12 Times in 7 Posts
gettingitchy has no particular reputation at present
Re: My GF works in Bern, I work in Vevey. Where to live?

My vote is for Fribourg, just to add more potentially cool people to my newly adopted city.

But joking aside, it is a nice city, and the train to Bern is frequent, quick, and easy if your partner will be commuting there by public transport. Fribourg is obviously much quieter than Bern or Lausanne, but for a city its size I was surprised by how many nice restaurants and shops there are. My guess is that it has more going on than Bulle or Romont, so being marginally closer to Vevey but more in the "middle of nowhere" is probably (??) not worth it. If you ever need big city "amenities", Bern and Lausanne are not far. But the countryside and mountains are still very accessible, especially if you have a car, which is probably more relevant during corona times!

My experience too is that housing is cheaper than Bern or Lausanne, and more available. My personal anecdote: we looked at dozens of apartments for 8 months in Lausanne and got nowhere. Got an apartment in Fribourg on our first try -- and way more bang for our buck. Was probably a fair amount of luck involved but still.
Reply With Quote
The following 4 users would like to thank gettingitchy for this useful post:
  #19  
Old 22.11.2020, 16:34
3Wishes's Avatar
Moderately Amused
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Bern area
Posts: 10,702
Groaned at 77 Times in 74 Posts
Thanked 17,742 Times in 7,970 Posts
3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute
Re: My GF works in Bern, I work in Vevey. Where to live?

Another vote for Fribourg over Lausanne. IMO it's a bit unfair to expect the person that uses public transport daily to commit to double (or more) time on a train compared to the person that has a car and only needs public transport or going to the office once in a while. Quick SBB search if it helps. The trip times given are for the fastest connection vs. the slowest:

To Bern:
  • Fribourg has 5 trains per hour with a trip time of between 22-32 minutes. The great thing about so many connections is that if you're a bit late, you don't need to run to catch a train or get stuck waiting half an hour. The next train is coming soon.
  • Romont could be a decent compromise with 3 trains per hour and a journey length of 40-48 minutes.
  • Bulle has 2 trains per hour and a journey length of 62-67 mins
  • Lausanne has 3 trains per hour and a journey length of 66-97 mins

To Vevey:
  • Fribourg has 3 trains per hour and a journey length of 67-100 mins
  • Romont has only one fast train (50 mins) to Vevey, but that's not bad. There are two slower connections of about 90 minutes.
  • Bulle has 3 trains per hour and a journey length of 67-75 mins
  • Lausanne has 5 connections per hour, ranging from 13-20 mins
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank 3Wishes for this useful post:
  #20  
Old 24.11.2020, 20:21
Relagu's Avatar
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2019
Location: London
Posts: 35
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 14 Times in 9 Posts
Relagu has no particular reputation at present
Re: My GF works in Bern, I work in Vevey. Where to live?

Quote:
View Post
My vote is for Fribourg, just to add more potentially cool people to my newly adopted city.

But joking aside, it is a nice city, and the train to Bern is frequent, quick, and easy if your partner will be commuting there by public transport. Fribourg is obviously much quieter than Bern or Lausanne, but for a city its size I was surprised by how many nice restaurants and shops there are. My guess is that it has more going on than Bulle or Romont, so being marginally closer to Vevey but more in the "middle of nowhere" is probably (??) not worth it. If you ever need big city "amenities", Bern and Lausanne are not far. But the countryside and mountains are still very accessible, especially if you have a car, which is probably more relevant during corona times!

My experience too is that housing is cheaper than Bern or Lausanne, and more available. My personal anecdote: we looked at dozens of apartments for 8 months in Lausanne and got nowhere. Got an apartment in Fribourg on our first try -- and way more bang for our buck. Was probably a fair amount of luck involved but still.
Quote:
View Post
Another vote for Fribourg over Lausanne. IMO it's a bit unfair to expect the person that uses public transport daily to commit to double (or more) time on a train compared to the person that has a car and only needs public transport or going to the office once in a while. Quick SBB search if it helps. The trip times given are for the fastest connection vs. the slowest:

To Bern:
  • Fribourg has 5 trains per hour with a trip time of between 22-32 minutes. The great thing about so many connections is that if you're a bit late, you don't need to run to catch a train or get stuck waiting half an hour. The next train is coming soon.
  • Romont could be a decent compromise with 3 trains per hour and a journey length of 40-48 minutes.
  • Bulle has 2 trains per hour and a journey length of 62-67 mins
  • Lausanne has 3 trains per hour and a journey length of 66-97 mins

To Vevey:
  • Fribourg has 3 trains per hour and a journey length of 67-100 mins
  • Romont has only one fast train (50 mins) to Vevey, but that's not bad. There are two slower connections of about 90 minutes.
  • Bulle has 3 trains per hour and a journey length of 67-75 mins
  • Lausanne has 5 connections per hour, ranging from 13-20 mins
Brilliant both of your analysis, thanks!!
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank Relagu for this useful post:
Reply

Tags
bern, fribourg, lausanne, rent, vevey




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Work in Neuchatel, live in Bern, possible commute life ? Bench Introductions 12 21.09.2018 00:38
I am Scottish, live in England and hope to soon live/work in Basel for 9 mo Lola_Lou Introductions 10 03.09.2014 18:13
Anyone working in Solothurn? Relocating to work in Solothurn, live in....? Bern? Vienna2011 Daily life 8 26.03.2013 22:58
Hello, My name is David and I live in Vevey. I am new to this forum. dle Introductions 9 22.11.2011 13:58
cant find a place to live in vevey!!!!! help anyone? mibl Housing in general 4 17.06.2010 18:01


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 23:59.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0