Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Housing in general  
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 30.11.2020, 01:08
chc chc is offline
Join Date: Feb 2020
Location: Buenos Aires
Posts: 8
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
chc has no particular reputation at present
Sublease termination (main tenant lives abroad)

Hello everyone,

So I'm a subtenant of an apartment whose main tenant lives abroad (tho its registered here, because Stadt Zurich's mails arrives here and such) and the sublease contract is unlimited with 3 month notice.
I already told the main tenant I'm leaving (through email), and they acknowledged, but want to make it more official through a certified (registered?) letter. But where should I send it for it to be legal?

Also I'm trying to find new tenants, so I don't have to pay the whole 3 months. But the main tenant kinda changed the contract terms a little for the new contract, and that spooks potential tenants.
I already sent one person that would take the apartment to the main tenant, the main tenant was happy, but wanted to talk before sending the contract, they had a phone call and now the potential tenant is doubting.

How does the early termination protection for tenants works when sending applicants to the main tenant? At what point it's my responsibility regarding finding suitable tenants end.

Reply With Quote
Old 30.11.2020, 01:25
Forum Veteran
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Basel
Posts: 2,182
Groaned at 53 Times in 44 Posts
Thanked 1,386 Times in 814 Posts
Landers has a reputation beyond reputeLanders has a reputation beyond reputeLanders has a reputation beyond reputeLanders has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Sublease termination (main tenant lives abroad)

This sounds awfully similar to some threads a few months back.

The email should be sufficient. Send a registered letter to their Swiss address, i.e. your own address. Does she ever collect her mail? I guess she doesn't want to give you her correspondence address because you must have asked her for it by now, right?

You could consider just moving out if you already put someone forward, or subletting the sublet? Seems like your landlord/lady (the main tenant) wouldn't be in much of a position to do anything.
Reply With Quote

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Can I apply for VINTA if my wife doesn't know German but lives abroad? lucerner Permits/visas/government 12 05.11.2020 11:13
How to overcome my problems with the main tenant in a sublease giuspiaco Housing in general 27 17.09.2020 13:28
One in ten Swiss lives abroad cdcdoc Swiss politics/news 16 23.01.2013 18:59
Termination of tenancy: Legal situation of tenant / subtenant? gianni001 Housing in general 24 18.12.2011 17:13
Will I be taxed as married or single if my partner lives abroad? Guest Finance/banking/taxation 3 04.12.2007 11:07

All times are GMT +2. The time now is 02:48.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0