English Forum Switzerland

English Forum Switzerland (https://www.englishforum.ch/forum.php)
-   Housing in general (https://www.englishforum.ch/housing-general/)
-   -   Washing machine installation (https://www.englishforum.ch/housing-general/301867-washing-machine-installation.html)

Barbora 24.12.2020 01:43

Washing machine installation
 
Hi,

Does anyone please know how to go about assessing whether a washing machine could be installed in an apartment?

I have just moved to a new place and I'd rather not deal with the shared washing machine which is not very clean. However, I'm not sure whether a washing machine could be fitted into the apartment. The landlord allows it as long as it is professionally installed but I'm trying to assess the feasibility and potential costs.
Thank you.

JackieH 24.12.2020 12:05

Re: Washing machine installation
 
Ask your neighbours to recommend a local plumber and ask for a quote. Good that you asked your landlord, as it is essential in case anything goes wrong and causes damage.

Pancakes 24.12.2020 12:31

Re: Washing machine installation
 
When I was living in the US and in college, I had a washing machine that hooked up to the kitchen sink faucet. It was on wheels so that it could be moved easily, and it attached to the sink faucet with a simple hose and adapter. It looked like a regular top-loading washing machine, just a bit smaller. It would drain into the sink. It actually worked really well, and I never had any problems with leaks or anything. I also had a dryer that just vented into a bucket of water. I was able to use it in a closet even.

I'm not sure if something like that exists here (though I'd be surprised if it didn't). But maybe it's something to consider, if that is available here, so that you wouldn't have to have plumbing hook-ups and a drain installed for a regular washing machine.

JackieH 24.12.2020 12:34

Re: Washing machine installation
 
it is not allowed to have such installations by the vast majority of agencies- and he was specifically told it had to be installed professionally.

Pancakes 24.12.2020 12:35

Re: Washing machine installation
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by JackieH (Post 3254914)
it is not allowed to have such installations by the vast majority of agencies- and he was specifically told it had to be installed professionally.

Ahhh, okay. Sorry about that...

(I'm half asleep today :msnblush:).

intheblue 24.12.2020 13:34

Re: Washing machine installation
 
In my building it is allowed. I paid Fr. 250.-- to have it professionally installed (that was a few years ago) and about Fr. 640.-- at M-Electronics for a washing machine delivered and installed (it was on sale). M-Electronics has a good after sales service. Will you want a drying machine too or do you want to use the communal dryer?

intheblue 24.12.2020 13:58

Re: Washing machine installation
 
It is probably better to wait a few months to have a better deal on washing machines. These days a lot of people are getting their 13th month salary and retailers count on that to shift their merchandise.

robBob 24.12.2020 14:14

Re: Washing machine installation
 
Have installed myself after moving. Plumber did the first install which turned out wrong. Went to a local plumber and he was real helpful in telling me how to install it properly and also sold me what was needed.

fatmanfilms 24.12.2020 14:39

Re: Washing machine installation
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by robBob (Post 3254941)
Have installed myself after moving. Plumber did the first install which turned out wrong. Went to a local plumber and he was real helpful in telling me how to install it properly and also sold me what was needed.

Indeed it's a dead easy job, I have installed in 3 countries including CH without issue. In some cantons you are not supposed to use at lunchtime :D

JackieH 24.12.2020 15:13

Re: Washing machine installation
 
If the landlord specifically requests installation by a professional, then keep the bill as evidence, just in case.

fatmanfilms 24.12.2020 15:24

Re: Washing machine installation
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by JackieH (Post 3254949)
If the landlord specifically requests installation by a professional, then keep the bill as evidence, just in case.

In case of what?

newtoswitz 24.12.2020 15:30

Re: Washing machine installation
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by fatmanfilms (Post 3254951)
In case of what?

In case something goes wrong and they need to prove it was installed professionally.

For me a landlord insisting on professional installation is wrong, it's really not a difficult job, in most cases about the same as attaching a garden hose and plugging in the appliance.

But maybe there's an insurance clause about this, particularly if it causes a leak which does significant damage.

fatmanfilms 24.12.2020 15:50

Re: Washing machine installation
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by newtoswitz (Post 3254952)
In case something goes wrong and they need to prove it was installed professionally.

For me a landlord insisting on professional installation is wrong, it's really not a difficult job, in most cases about the same as attaching a garden hose and plugging in the appliance.

But maybe there's an insurance clause about this, particularly if it causes a leak which does significant damage.

Since the OP would have 3rd party liability insurance & even a previous incarnation of JackieH asked her friendly local insurance broker who said it would be covered even if it was against the rules & had been told not to do it. I even won a bet, never got any proof it was paid either :msnnerd:

curley 25.12.2020 12:38

Re: Washing machine installation
 
1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pancakes (Post 3254912)
When I was living in the US and in college, I had a washing machine that hooked up to the kitchen sink faucet. It was on wheels so that it could be moved easily, and it attached to the sink faucet with a simple hose and adapter. It looked like a regular top-loading washing machine, just a bit smaller. It would drain into the sink. It actually worked really well, and I never had any problems with leaks or anything. I also had a dryer that just vented into a bucket of water. I was able to use it in a closet even.

I'm not sure if something like that exists here (though I'd be surprised if it didn't). But maybe it's something to consider, if that is available here, so that you wouldn't have to have plumbing hook-ups and a drain installed for a regular washing machine.

A friend of mine still has one connected like that. I remember mine like this in them days .... I had to sit on it while it was spinning to stop it from jumping about :D

OP, the connection is not the problem, can be done to every sink. Just adding two bits. The problem is more - do you have the space for a machine next to a sink, as you don't want the pipes crossing your morning paths. :msnsarcastic:

You can easily do it yourself. Last time I had it done by a pro 'cause I was very busy at the time and didn't want to bother with such things and it was not expensive (sorry, long time ago, can't be more specific).

Attachment 140965

st2lemans 25.12.2020 13:02

Re: Washing machine installation
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pancakes (Post 3254912)
When I was living in the US and in college, I had a washing machine that hooked up to the kitchen sink faucet...

I'm not sure if something like that exists here.

They so, we have one, though ours is hooked up to to where the bidet used to be hooked up to.

Tom

JackieH 25.12.2020 14:56

Re: Washing machine installation
 
At the end of the day ... self installing a washing machine when Agency/landlord specifically asked for it to be done professionally, is just asking for trouble.

For permission btw, as all things Switzerland, it just depends on C/Kanton but always a good idea. In Vaud, it is a legal requirement, not sure if it is the only C/Kanton. Bad installation can not only cause noise, potential flood and water seepage damage- but reverse flow that could contaminate the water of other residents and even cause legionnaire's disease- so just plain not worth it.

st2lemans 25.12.2020 16:01

Re: Washing machine installation
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by JackieH (Post 3255115)
Bad installation can not only cause noise, potential flood and water seepage damage- but reverse flow that could contaminate the water of other residents and even cause legionnaire's disease.

Total nonsense. :msnmad:

Reverse flow? How?

Also, it's only connected to the cold water, so no chance of "legionnaire's disease" as that requires being connected to the hot rather than the cold!

You are clearly clueless.

Tom

JackieH 25.12.2020 17:25

Re: Washing machine installation
 
how do you know self installers have not connected to hot water too - they are not all as knowledgeable as you are clearly- or they wouldn't ask on an internet Forum. It is one of the reasons agencies ask for professional fitting - yes.

As you speak French

http://www.homequest.ch/avoir-un-lav...on-appartement

st2lemans 25.12.2020 17:42

Re: Washing machine installation
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by JackieH (Post 3255140)
how do you know self installers have not connected to hot water too

Alas, I presume that most people are not total idiots, but I suppose that some are. :rolleyes:

https://images-cdn.9gag.com/photo/an4G4KE_700b.jpg

Tom

JackieH 25.12.2020 17:55

Re: Washing machine installation
 
Yes, dear, and a Merry Christmas to you too. Enjoy. Do groan again, a special Christmas bonanza from Ticino- ta and mwah.


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 23:17.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0