Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Housing in general  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 07.03.2021, 19:17
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Dec 2020
Location: Lausanne
Posts: 16
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 14 Times in 5 Posts
heavyMetal has no particular reputation at present
Area to stay in/around Lausanne

I am looking for advice on the areas to stay in/around Lausanne.So, I have done a lot of research and have been unable to find a definitive guide on the areas I should shortlist and target for based on my requirements and budget. My office is located in 1007 Lausanne. I would own a car so any areas within 15-20 mins drive of 1007 are good with me.
I don't necessarily need to be in the thick of action but would like to stay in a nice area preferably close to lake, and at least close to basic amenities (supermarkets, etc.).

I am looking to rent a 1 bedroom + 1 living room + 1 kitchen apartment for under 2400$ (preferably with parking) for a single person. Happy to hear your thoughts/suggestions on whether the budget is reasonable or is too low for what I am seeking. Also, I did realise that based on the commune I choose, I can save or increase my tax by as much as 6k/ year. Should I factor this in while considering the rental house budget?

Thanks for all the suggestions.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 07.03.2021, 19:26
Medea Fleecestealer's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Switzerland
Posts: 22,800
Groaned at 436 Times in 337 Posts
Thanked 17,895 Times in 10,008 Posts
Medea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Area to stay in/around Lausanne

What does the property agent who's helping you have to say?

You can look at the following sites to get an idea of what's available.

immoscout24.ch
immostreet.ch
www.homegate.ch
www.home.ch

For private, i.e. not through an agency, rentals:

www.petitesannonces.ch
www.anibis.ch

Bear in mind that things like kitchens, baths, etc, are included in the room count even though they do exist so you'd be looking for a 2 or 2.5 property to give you a living room and bedroom.

Unless you're going to be earning over CHF120k a year you'll be taxed at source so that won't really come into it.

Edit: also bear in mind that Lausanne is built on a hillside so you might want to take that into consideration.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank Medea Fleecestealer for this useful post:
  #3  
Old 07.03.2021, 19:39
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Dec 2020
Location: Lausanne
Posts: 16
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 14 Times in 5 Posts
heavyMetal has no particular reputation at present
Re: Area to stay in/around Lausanne

The property agent has recommended me to look at Pully, Morges, St Sulpice, Sous-Gare, Lemonte-sur-Lausanne. However, initially she proposed that I should set my budget much higher. Based on my research through homegate I realised the proposed budget was quite high, so i want to ensure I do my own research, and not rely solely on the property agent's advice.

Quote:
Unless you're going to be earning over CHF120k a year you'll be taxed at source so that won't really come into it.
I will be taxed at source but I am assuming the commune I am staying in would still make a difference in the final tax I will end up paying, and hence the query. For e.g. based on comparis.ch I could end up saving 6k/year if i stay in St Sulpice Vs Lausanne. Is this difference in tax savings already reflected in rental prices for similar quality apartments across areas or do I need to factor this in separately?

Also would love to hear thoughts from folks staying in/around Lausanne based on their experiences on what are great areas.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 08.03.2021, 00:36
cremebrulee's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Zurich
Posts: 437
Groaned at 14 Times in 10 Posts
Thanked 389 Times in 170 Posts
cremebrulee has an excellent reputationcremebrulee has an excellent reputationcremebrulee has an excellent reputationcremebrulee has an excellent reputation
Re: Area to stay in/around Lausanne

Have you visited Lausanne before? Or have you accepted the job without having visited Lausanne or even Switzerland?

Lausanne is VERY different to Singapore. There is not a lot of "action" in Lausanne, and especially not in the neighbouring villages.

If you're single, it should be relatively easy to find accommodation in Lausanne. Much depends on your standards - apartments in older buildings tend to be a bit cheaper (and especially if they have not been renovated recently), whilst newer apartments can be fairly expensive.

On-site parking is generally only available in newer buildings. Most people pay a permit to park on the street.

You will definitely need to add a bit more to live close to the lake. Otherwise, I hope you like steep hills!

Another thing to consider is that driving to work is not exactly common in Switzerland, unless your job comes with a carpark. Even then, the public transport here is very good and the only people who drive everywhere are usually expats ;-)
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank cremebrulee for this useful post:
  #5  
Old 08.03.2021, 09:36
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Zurigo
Posts: 293
Groaned at 16 Times in 12 Posts
Thanked 200 Times in 115 Posts
qwertz is considered knowledgeableqwertz is considered knowledgeableqwertz is considered knowledgeable
Re: Area to stay in/around Lausanne

Low tax communes in the Lausanne area are: St-Sulpice, Jouxtens-Mézery, Lutry (which are also posh areas). You will be taxed at source but will be asked to submit a tax return every year as from your previous posts your income will be over 120K. The difference in tax you mention is purely tax savings.

Property agent is calling BS asking you to raise your already very high budget for a 2.5 room place. All they are interested in is a higher commission and think they can fool a newly arrived expat on a thick paycheck.

Don't get yourself locked into an agreement you will have trouble getting out of if things go south. Some will be offering 5 year lease contracts which is not the norm. Standard is indefinite term with 3 to 4 month notice at a set time every year.

You can find very decent, new build 2.5 apartments for 1800.- (plus circa 150-200 underground parking) in the areas I mentioned above. And contrary to what has been said many work places offer parking spots and driving to work is absolutely common.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank qwertz for this useful post:
  #6  
Old 08.03.2021, 10:03
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Greater Zurich
Posts: 595
Groaned at 12 Times in 9 Posts
Thanked 146 Times in 97 Posts
higgsboson is considered knowledgeablehiggsboson is considered knowledgeablehiggsboson is considered knowledgeable
Re: Area to stay in/around Lausanne

Quote:
View Post
You can find very decent, new build 2.5 apartments for 1800.- (plus circa 150-200 underground parking) in the areas I mentioned above. And contrary to what has been said many work places offer parking spots and driving to work is absolutely common.
I have lived in Lausanne and I confirm this

We lived in 1006 (the Sous-Gare your agent mentioned) and also 1005.

1006 looks like the perfect choice for you, if you can find something there:

- It's roughly the area between the train station and the lake (hence the name), walking distance to both. You'll have the benefits of both.

- Depending on where in 1007 your employer is located, you may be able to walk to the office.

- The area is in general nice, but also more expensive than average. Still, the quote above holds!
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank higgsboson for this useful post:
  #7  
Old 08.03.2021, 10:52
veloguy
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Area to stay in/around Lausanne

I'm going to agree with what the previous posters have already said. Especially:

- don't get yourself locked into a long lease
- your budget is MORE than reasonable for what you're looking for
- there's not a lot of "action" in Lausanne compared to other cities in the world, you can be "in" Lausanne and still have a quiet street/neighborhood.

I would also add that I'd take Le Mont sur Lausanne off your list, unless you really want a quiet, more rural place to live. (Yes, there is a part of Le Mont, just south of the highway that is more urban, but if you want urban you'd be better off living in Sous-Gare, IMO).

Morges is also a nice town, but if you work in Lausanne you might prefer to be a bit closer to work.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank for this useful post:
  #8  
Old 08.03.2021, 11:57
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Lausanne
Posts: 163
Groaned at 3 Times in 3 Posts
Thanked 151 Times in 81 Posts
hans1 has made some interesting contributions
Re: Area to stay in/around Lausanne

Hello,

I've lived in Lausanne 1005, 1007 and now in a quiet village in the Nord Vaudois.

We've also lived in Singapore (East Coast Rd).

Coming from Singapore, you'd find the centre of Lausanne on a busy saturday aft still feeling like countryside. If you have the change I would recommend living in the 1006/1007 area code, which gives you nice access to parks, water side and if you want the city centre within reach.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank hans1 for this useful post:
  #9  
Old 08.03.2021, 16:19
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Dec 2020
Location: Lausanne
Posts: 16
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 14 Times in 5 Posts
heavyMetal has no particular reputation at present
Re: Area to stay in/around Lausanne

Quote:
View Post
Have you visited Lausanne before? Or have you accepted the job without having visited Lausanne or even Switzerland?

Lausanne is VERY different to Singapore. There is not a lot of "action" in Lausanne, and especially not in the neighbouring villages.

If you're single, it should be relatively easy to find accommodation in Lausanne. Much depends on your standards - apartments in older buildings tend to be a bit cheaper (and especially if they have not been renovated recently), whilst newer apartments can be fairly expensive.

On-site parking is generally only available in newer buildings. Most people pay a permit to park on the street.

You will definitely need to add a bit more to live close to the lake. Otherwise, I hope you like steep hills!

Another thing to consider is that driving to work is not exactly common in Switzerland, unless your job comes with a carpark. Even then, the public transport here is very good and the only people who drive everywhere are usually expats ;-)
I don't have the luxury of visiting a specific region/country before deciding on a job offer especially with the covid situation. I have spent a few months in Switzerland before though on business trips, so I know a tiny bit about the country. I do realise it's a totally different prospect of living in a country permanently though, and am looking forward to the adventure.

I am aware of the amazing public transport system. However, I do like driving and hence plan to own a car nonetheless. I will still of course take advantage of the local public transport.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 08.03.2021, 16:24
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Dec 2020
Location: Lausanne
Posts: 16
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 14 Times in 5 Posts
heavyMetal has no particular reputation at present
Re: Area to stay in/around Lausanne

Quote:
View Post
Property agent is calling BS asking you to raise your already very high budget for a 2.5 room place. All they are interested in is a higher commission and think they can fool a newly arrived expat on a thick paycheck.

Don't get yourself locked into an agreement you will have trouble getting out of if things go south. Some will be offering 5 year lease contracts which is not the norm. Standard is indefinite term with 3 to 4 month notice at a set time every year.

You can find very decent, new build 2.5 apartments for 1800.- (plus circa 150-200 underground parking) in the areas I mentioned above. And contrary to what has been said many work places offer parking spots and driving to work is absolutely common.
This is super helpful information, especially on the length of contract. Thank you so much for confirming on my existing suspicion on the budget.

Quote:
View Post
I have lived in Lausanne and I confirm this

We lived in 1006 (the Sous-Gare your agent mentioned) and also 1005.

1006 looks like the perfect choice for you, if you can find something there:

- It's roughly the area between the train station and the lake (hence the name), walking distance to both. You'll have the benefits of both.

- Depending on where in 1007 your employer is located, you may be able to walk to the office.

- The area is in general nice, but also more expensive than average. Still, the quote above holds!
Thank you! Seems like 1006 is the area to lookout for based on all the inputs.

Quote:
View Post
I'm going to agree with what the previous posters have already said. Especially:

- don't get yourself locked into a long lease
- your budget is MORE than reasonable for what you're looking for
- there's not a lot of "action" in Lausanne compared to other cities in the world, you can be "in" Lausanne and still have a quiet street/neighborhood.

I would also add that I'd take Le Mont sur Lausanne off your list, unless you really want a quiet, more rural place to live. (Yes, there is a part of Le Mont, just south of the highway that is more urban, but if you want urban you'd be better off living in Sous-Gare, IMO).

Morges is also a nice town, but if you work in Lausanne you might prefer to be a bit closer to work.
Thank you!

Quote:
View Post
Hello,

I've lived in Lausanne 1005, 1007 and now in a quiet village in the Nord Vaudois.

We've also lived in Singapore (East Coast Rd).

Coming from Singapore, you'd find the centre of Lausanne on a busy saturday aft still feeling like countryside. If you have the change I would recommend living in the 1006/1007 area code, which gives you nice access to parks, water side and if you want the city centre within reach.
Fantastic! Based on all the inputs, I will prioritise 1006/1007 if I can find an apartment I like. Thank you, and hope you are enjoying your stay in Switzerland after the fast-paced life in Singapore.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 08.03.2021, 16:28
Bossa Nova's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: Vaud
Posts: 293
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 690 Times in 195 Posts
Bossa Nova has a reputation beyond reputeBossa Nova has a reputation beyond reputeBossa Nova has a reputation beyond reputeBossa Nova has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Area to stay in/around Lausanne

Given your budget you should be able to find something more than reasonable within walking distance of your work, but don't rush the decision: I'd recommend booking an Air BnB or temporary accommodation for when you arrive so you can feel out neighbourhoods yourself before signing a contract.

I moved to Lausanne in 2005 from a country where rentals are easy to find and contracts are easy to terminate, but neither of these things are true in Lausanne. You cannot sign on to a place for a few months and then decide it's not for you and just leave.

I'd very strongly advise moving here into some sort of temporary accommodation (ideally near the centre, so you can get a feel of the city) and then give yourself a 3-to-6-month timeline to decide where you might wish to live in the long term.

Once you're here give me a head's up, I am a fellow musician. ;-)
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank Bossa Nova for this useful post:
  #12  
Old 09.03.2021, 08:11
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Dec 2020
Location: Lausanne
Posts: 16
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 14 Times in 5 Posts
heavyMetal has no particular reputation at present
Re: Area to stay in/around Lausanne

Quote:
View Post
Given your budget you should be able to find something more than reasonable within walking distance of your work, but don't rush the decision: I'd recommend booking an Air BnB or temporary accommodation for when you arrive so you can feel out neighbourhoods yourself before signing a contract.

I moved to Lausanne in 2005 from a country where rentals are easy to find and contracts are easy to terminate, but neither of these things are true in Lausanne. You cannot sign on to a place for a few months and then decide it's not for you and just leave.

I'd very strongly advise moving here into some sort of temporary accommodation (ideally near the centre, so you can get a feel of the city) and then give yourself a 3-to-6-month timeline to decide where you might wish to live in the long term.

Once you're here give me a head's up, I am a fellow musician. ;-)
Unfortunately, I don't have that luxury. As part of my relocation package, all my stuff is being shipped and I will need to pay for prohibitively expensive storage if I don't find a permanent house by then. But given the consensus on this forum, I will focus on my search for 1006,1007 for now.

Fantastic! Look forward to connecting over music soon. \m/
Reply With Quote
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Andermatt area - where to stay? coolbeanz Travel/day trips/free time 7 08.01.2021 20:21
Nice area to stay in Basel Angelamg Travel/day trips/free time 9 24.08.2015 07:34
Weekend stay in Chironico area snowflaker Travel/day trips/free time 0 24.02.2010 22:41
Burgundy - best area to stay? chardie18 Travel/day trips/free time 3 22.03.2009 17:15
Place to stay in ETH Hoenggerberg area closed Housing in general 11 29.05.2008 16:27


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 08:21.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0