Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Housing in general  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 15.03.2021, 10:10
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2020
Location: Lausanne
Posts: 5
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
dcthang has earned some respectdcthang has earned some respect
Cover letter mentioning expecting a baby

I'm applying for a 3-room apartment to move from my 1.5 room apartment. I read that including a cover letter may help a little bit.

In this case, should I mention that we are expecting a baby soon? Should it increase or decrease our chance?

What are the typical documents that you should include in the application? I'm sending the application form, our permits, our salary slips and the cover letter.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 15.03.2021, 13:11
NotAllThere's Avatar
Modulo 2
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Baselland
Posts: 15,034
Groaned at 308 Times in 263 Posts
Thanked 23,191 Times in 9,417 Posts
NotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Cover letter mentioning expecting a baby

It will increase the chances if the landlord likes babies. It will decrease the chances if the landlord doesn't like babies.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank NotAllThere for this useful post:
This user groans at NotAllThere for this post:
  #3  
Old 15.03.2021, 15:38
scrabblegrey's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Baden - East corner of my sofa
Posts: 221
Groaned at 25 Times in 15 Posts
Thanked 198 Times in 116 Posts
scrabblegrey is considered knowledgeablescrabblegrey is considered knowledgeablescrabblegrey is considered knowledgeable
Re: Cover letter mentioning expecting a baby

3 rooms as 3 rooms, or 3 rooms as 3.5 rooms?
In the first case it may be detrimental, I have seen that Swiss landlords tend to consider a 3 room flat small for a couple with one child.
With 3.5 rooms they are usually fine.

I think it is a good idea not to write in the cover letter, though. Best to sort these things orally, you may want to contact directly the housing agent and ask if the flat is "kinderfreundlich" (also because if he/she says no ... what's the point of bothering and spending time with the application?).

By asking that you will get an idea about the "mood" and the criteria they will apply in picking the future renter of the flat...
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 16.03.2021, 14:57
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2020
Location: Lausanne
Posts: 5
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
dcthang has earned some respectdcthang has earned some respect
Re: Cover letter mentioning expecting a baby

Quote:
View Post
It will increase the chances if the landlord likes babies. It will decrease the chances if the landlord doesn't like babies.
Thanks. This sounds like lottery to me
It's not the landlord though but the agency. Or is it the same thing in English?

Quote:
View Post
3 rooms as 3 rooms, or 3 rooms as 3.5 rooms?
In the first case it may be detrimental, I have seen that Swiss landlords tend to consider a 3 room flat small for a couple with one child.
With 3.5 rooms they are usually fine.

I think it is a good idea not to write in the cover letter, though. Best to sort these things orally, you may want to contact directly the housing agent and ask if the flat is "kinderfreundlich" (also because if he/she says no ... what's the point of bothering and spending time with the application?).

By asking that you will get an idea about the "mood" and the criteria they will apply in picking the future renter of the flat...
Thanks for your advice. On the ad, it says 3 rooms though. From my visit, it seems to be 3.5. 2 bedrooms, one living room and a small kitchen + bathroom.

Hmm, 3-room apartment is considered small And I thought my 1.5 room is large enough
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 16.03.2021, 15:42
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: CH
Posts: 11,316
Groaned at 399 Times in 325 Posts
Thanked 17,303 Times in 8,753 Posts
greenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Cover letter mentioning expecting a baby

Quote:
View Post
I'm applying for a 3-room apartment to move from my 1.5 room apartment. I read that including a cover letter may help a little bit.

In this case, should I mention that we are expecting a baby soon? Should it increase or decrease our chance?

What are the typical documents that you should include in the application? I'm sending the application form, our permits, our salary slips and the cover letter.
Are you sure you need a cover letter? I mean, sure, if you're under pressure and feel it helps. Otherwise, don't overdo it. Anyway, the owner usually tries to match your profile with the other tenants meaning if it's a family friendly building he'd be more than OK with kids.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 16.03.2021, 16:27
komsomolez's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: SZ
Posts: 3,150
Groaned at 266 Times in 181 Posts
Thanked 6,354 Times in 2,659 Posts
komsomolez has a reputation beyond reputekomsomolez has a reputation beyond reputekomsomolez has a reputation beyond reputekomsomolez has a reputation beyond reputekomsomolez has a reputation beyond reputekomsomolez has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Cover letter mentioning expecting a baby

I wouldn't mention it. This is an agency, they will look for "ideal" tenants (the ones who are mute and/or never there) and chances are they see having a baby as comparable to having a pet.

Last edited by komsomolez; 16.03.2021 at 17:21.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank komsomolez for this useful post:
  #7  
Old 16.03.2021, 18:55
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: VD
Posts: 441
Groaned at 7 Times in 5 Posts
Thanked 468 Times in 245 Posts
AnnaSophiaA has a reputation beyond reputeAnnaSophiaA has a reputation beyond reputeAnnaSophiaA has a reputation beyond reputeAnnaSophiaA has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Cover letter mentioning expecting a baby

We’ve never needed a cover letter for an apartment. Even when we found a replacement for my husband’s rental agreement in Lausanne not one of the numerous candidates came with a cover letter.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 16.03.2021, 19:17
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Location: Vaud
Posts: 113
Groaned at 3 Times in 3 Posts
Thanked 151 Times in 60 Posts
IslanderInTheMountains has a reputation beyond reputeIslanderInTheMountains has a reputation beyond reputeIslanderInTheMountains has a reputation beyond reputeIslanderInTheMountains has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Cover letter mentioning expecting a baby

Quote:
View Post
Are you sure you need a cover letter? I mean, sure, if you're under pressure and feel it helps. Otherwise, don't overdo it. Anyway, the owner usually tries to match your profile with the other tenants meaning if it's a family friendly building he'd be more than OK with kids.
When I was apartment hunting 2 years ago, I was advised to do so as well by a friend who works for one of the biggest estate agencies in Suisse romande. I couldn't believe I had to write a cover letter in order to better my chances.

As they say, it's a seller's market.
Reply With Quote
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Rental Application Letter: Mentioning Family Plans ?!! higgsboson Housing in general 3 17.07.2018 20:58
Expecting a baby pirxxie Family matters/health 39 17.03.2018 16:23
Baby shower gifts for expecting parents! tschu Commercial 0 27.08.2016 12:35
Motivation letter = cover letter? WokSz Employment 5 24.11.2011 12:47
only CV and Cover letter, enough ? andy.swiss Employment 13 21.10.2009 19:17


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 09:15.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0