Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Housing in general  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 06.04.2021, 14:48
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Location: Zürich
Posts: 14
Groaned at 10 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
maxjonson has no particular reputation at present
Importing prebuild houses worth it in Switzerland?

Since labourcost are so high in Switzerland i thought of importing a prebuild house "fertighouse" from austria/germany/italy and place it on a plot for land half an hour or more away from Zürich to save some money.

Would you save any money importing a prebuild house from across the boarder?

I have reservation on part of a large project build by a big architect between zug and zürich for 180m2 living space and 280m2 land space for 1.8million chf. Think it's alot and thought creative alternatives might save alot of money.

Especially since it seems to be the land space that has the biggest value near Zürich. So maybe get more land for the money and cheaper house.

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 06.04.2021, 19:03
NickGB's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Zug
Posts: 922
Groaned at 9 Times in 9 Posts
Thanked 1,210 Times in 483 Posts
NickGB has a reputation beyond reputeNickGB has a reputation beyond reputeNickGB has a reputation beyond reputeNickGB has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Importing prebuild houses worth it in Switzerland?

Can you provide information on this 'project'?


Not sure that you would save any money on the pre-fab houses and even less likely to be able to find a plot of land that is 'economical'
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 06.04.2021, 19:11
fatmanfilms's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Verbier
Posts: 20,441
Groaned at 430 Times in 321 Posts
Thanked 20,992 Times in 11,076 Posts
fatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Importing prebuild houses worth it in Switzerland?

Quote:
View Post
Since labourcost are so high in Switzerland i thought of importing a prebuild house "fertighouse" from austria/germany/italy and place it on a plot for land half an hour or more away from Zürich to save some money.

Would you save any money importing a prebuild house from across the boarder?

I have reservation on part of a large project build by a big architect between zug and zürich for 180m2 living space and 280m2 land space for 1.8million chf. Think it's alot and thought creative alternatives might save alot of money.

Especially since it seems to be the land space that has the biggest value near Zürich. So maybe get more land for the money and cheaper house.

Thanks in advance.
I looked at this in 2004, the Swiss Agent was quoting 3 times the price as for Germany so did not go ahead, essentially as the electricity was not the same LOL. Another Swiss company quoted 2.5 times the advertised special offer so I lost interest.

This was the sort of thing I was after, rather than Swiss concrete https://www.huf-haus.com/en-uk/art/art-5-sample-4/
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 06.04.2021, 19:18
Medea Fleecestealer's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Switzerland
Posts: 21,933
Groaned at 400 Times in 308 Posts
Thanked 16,886 Times in 9,522 Posts
Medea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Importing prebuild houses worth it in Switzerland?

I've seen a few houses over here that have been built by companies outside Switzerland, but no idea what the cost was.

Have you been here

https://www.home-expo.ch/

to see what that might offer you?
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 07.04.2021, 09:44
FCBarca's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: La Côte
Posts: 1,302
Groaned at 102 Times in 52 Posts
Thanked 1,441 Times in 648 Posts
FCBarca has a reputation beyond reputeFCBarca has a reputation beyond reputeFCBarca has a reputation beyond reputeFCBarca has a reputation beyond reputeFCBarca has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Importing prebuild houses worth it in Switzerland?

My sister in law did this recently, just moving in at start of year. They got a number of local quotes from architects & construction companies and ended up going with a German company that puts together these pre-fab houses. They also built 3 units in total (Not a triplex by definition as there are no shared walls but effectively 2+1 dwellings) for a third of what they were being quoted

I have visited a few times in past couple of months, results are impressive although they too had their hurdles to overcome (Still addressing an issue with the solar panels on roof)

Would I take this approach if I had to do it all over again (We did new construction)? They saved quite a bit but long-term hard to assess whether they still will come out ahead or remain fully satisfied

You'd be hard pressed to identify the home was built elsewhere and effectively placed on the land
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 07.04.2021, 10:16
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Vaud
Posts: 1,431
Groaned at 113 Times in 73 Posts
Thanked 1,543 Times in 882 Posts
yacek has a reputation beyond reputeyacek has a reputation beyond reputeyacek has a reputation beyond reputeyacek has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Importing prebuild houses worth it in Switzerland?

Quote:
View Post
...and ended up going with a German company that puts together these pre-fab houses.
Could you please share what company it was?
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 07.04.2021, 10:35
FCBarca's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: La Côte
Posts: 1,302
Groaned at 102 Times in 52 Posts
Thanked 1,441 Times in 648 Posts
FCBarca has a reputation beyond reputeFCBarca has a reputation beyond reputeFCBarca has a reputation beyond reputeFCBarca has a reputation beyond reputeFCBarca has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Importing prebuild houses worth it in Switzerland?

Quote:
View Post
Could you please share what company it was?
Just confirmed, they are called Weberhaus - there are videos, photos etc. on website (UK URL). Sister in law says they vetted a number of pre-fab companies and Weberhaus were far & away superior - apart from some of the typical construction pains, they remain very happy with the results & experience all during initial COVID pandemic

My observations on some of the details:

1) Kitchen goes through them so you are limited on the one hand with options but they chose mostly Swiss or German made materials. I still believe their kitchen is quite inferior to ours but it's also a smaller space. I wasn't crazy about the counters or cupboard material but this too could've been driven more by cost/budget/preference

2) Interior load bearing walls are cement/beton but appeared slightly thinner than ours but noise did not appear to be an issue traveling through house/floors as a result

3) Utilities like heat, electric, solar, water etc. seemed quite similar to what we did, including underfloor heating although there were errors made in terms of how to mount the exterior solar panels as it conflicted with commune regulations - I suspect this will be worked out by company to compensate to remount but an ongoing issue.

4) Windows, doors and material otherwise used were very good and they had a lot of flexibility in the design
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 07.04.2021, 10:42
Village Idiot's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Basel
Posts: 3,651
Groaned at 33 Times in 30 Posts
Thanked 6,878 Times in 2,215 Posts
Village Idiot has a reputation beyond reputeVillage Idiot has a reputation beyond reputeVillage Idiot has a reputation beyond reputeVillage Idiot has a reputation beyond reputeVillage Idiot has a reputation beyond reputeVillage Idiot has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Importing prebuild houses worth it in Switzerland?

Quote:
View Post
I looked at this in 2004, the Swiss Agent was quoting 3 times the price as for Germany so did not go ahead, essentially as the electricity was not the same LOL. Another Swiss company quoted 2.5 times the advertised special offer so I lost interest.

This was the sort of thing I was after, rather than Swiss concrete https://www.huf-haus.com/en-uk/art/art-5-sample-4/
We had the same experience with Huf - the houses in Germany were expensive, but the houses in Switzerland were even more expensive!

Have a look at https://www.kd-haus.de/ if you're interested in this -- they're much more reasonable. The difference is that it is less prefab than a Huf Haus, with more of the trades working on site (plumbing and electricity, drywall, flooring are all done on site).

Also, another endorsement for Weberhaus if you're looking for a more conventional home. They are well-built.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank Village Idiot for this useful post:
  #9  
Old 07.04.2021, 11:53
Treverus's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Luxembourg
Posts: 11,929
Groaned at 303 Times in 259 Posts
Thanked 22,585 Times in 8,185 Posts
Treverus has a reputation beyond reputeTreverus has a reputation beyond reputeTreverus has a reputation beyond reputeTreverus has a reputation beyond reputeTreverus has a reputation beyond reputeTreverus has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Importing prebuild houses worth it in Switzerland?

Quote:
View Post
I looked at this in 2004, the Swiss Agent was quoting 3 times the price as for Germany so did not go ahead, essentially as the electricity was not the same LOL. Another Swiss company quoted 2.5 times the advertised special offer so I lost interest.

This was the sort of thing I was after, rather than Swiss concrete https://www.huf-haus.com/en-uk/art/art-5-sample-4/
There are two HUF houses close to my last place in Germany. I love the design and even considered buy one (which was on the market 2nd hand). The point is that the design idea is massive glas walls with natural light. Great idea when you build a house on a massive plot in rural Germany. When building in Switzerland will the neighbors be able to see through your walls... and as we all know: they probably will do so a lot. Not sure that’s the right design for here...
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank Treverus for this useful post:
  #10  
Old 07.04.2021, 12:04
fatmanfilms's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Verbier
Posts: 20,441
Groaned at 430 Times in 321 Posts
Thanked 20,992 Times in 11,076 Posts
fatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Importing prebuild houses worth it in Switzerland?

Quote:
View Post
There are two HUF houses close to my last place in Germany. I love the design and even considered buy one (which was on the market 2nd hand). The point is that the design idea is massive glas walls with natural light. Great idea when you build a house on a massive plot in rural Germany. When building in Switzerland will the neighbors be able to see through your walls... and as we all know: they probably will do so a lot. Not sure that’s the right design for here...
The 2100m2 plot was on a hill with nobody would have had a direct view, so could have worked.
Attached Thumbnails
importing-prebuild-houses-worth-switzerland-screenshot-2021-04-07-12.02.58.png   importing-prebuild-houses-worth-switzerland-screenshot-2021-04-07-12.03.57.png  
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank fatmanfilms for this useful post:
  #11  
Old 07.04.2021, 12:32
robBob's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Zurich
Posts: 2,697
Groaned at 53 Times in 40 Posts
Thanked 2,516 Times in 1,353 Posts
robBob has a reputation beyond reputerobBob has a reputation beyond reputerobBob has a reputation beyond reputerobBob has a reputation beyond reputerobBob has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Importing prebuild houses worth it in Switzerland?

Imagine there will be a hefty price tag for the import duty.

Name:  user87073_pic7531_1479028708_thumb.jpg
Views: 166
Size:  3.4 KB
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 07.04.2021, 12:36
fatmanfilms's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Verbier
Posts: 20,441
Groaned at 430 Times in 321 Posts
Thanked 20,992 Times in 11,076 Posts
fatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Importing prebuild houses worth it in Switzerland?

Quote:
View Post
Imagine there will be a hefty price tag for the import duty.

Attachment 141657
It's a weight change, not much IIRC.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 07.04.2021, 10:48
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Zug
Posts: 293
Groaned at 46 Times in 29 Posts
Thanked 189 Times in 95 Posts
mike_n is considered knowledgeablemike_n is considered knowledgeablemike_n is considered knowledgeable
Re: Importing prebuild houses worth it in Switzerland?

Quote:
View Post
Since labourcost are so high in Switzerland i thought of importing a prebuild house "fertighouse" from austria/germany/italy and place it on a plot for land half an hour or more away from Zürich to save some money.

Would you save any money importing a prebuild house from across the boarder?

I have reservation on part of a large project build by a big architect between zug and zürich for 180m2 living space and 280m2 land space for 1.8million chf. Think it's alot and thought creative alternatives might save alot of money.

Especially since it seems to be the land space that has the biggest value near Zürich. So maybe get more land for the money and cheaper house.

Thanks in advance.

It's doable because lots of people did it and certainly you can save money on the house. Don't expect it to be straightforward, you need to invest time and energy in the project.

Find a company who did it. Ideally not from Switzerland but with experience in Switzerland. For starters you can go to Stuttgart or even closer to Villingen-Schwenningen to visit the two prefab showrooms there when the restrictions are lifted. Talk to the companies there.

Another important aspect is the land you are going to buy. Make sure that the land isn't tied by a certain project, there are a lot of them in Switzerland Also check what you can build on that land.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
construction, fertighaus, house, money, pre-build




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
worth importing a LHD car thats < 6 months bobob Transportation/driving 0 28.03.2019 12:49
Prefab Houses in Switzerland? Tanya Housing in general 2 05.10.2014 11:03
Cheap laptops - worth importing em? bigblue2 Daily life 25 30.08.2014 10:51
Importing and converting a RHD car ... is it worth it? myly Transportation/driving 9 22.08.2011 04:30
new Golf GTI about CHF20,000 in the US - worth importing? suffolk911 Transportation/driving 8 15.06.2011 23:51


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 14:10.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0