Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Housing in general  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 15.04.2021, 03:23
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Jan 2021
Location: Genava
Posts: 11
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
citykid has no particular reputation at present
Need apartment in NYON

Hello everyone, my husband and I are moving to Nyon. We have a four year old son.

Looking to rent a 2-3 bedroom apartment in/near the center of town (we don't have a car yet).

If anyone has any leads or is looking to let go of their own lease, please let me know.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 15.04.2021, 07:46
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Nyon
Posts: 6,563
Groaned at 390 Times in 286 Posts
Thanked 9,159 Times in 4,281 Posts
bowlie has a reputation beyond reputebowlie has a reputation beyond reputebowlie has a reputation beyond reputebowlie has a reputation beyond reputebowlie has a reputation beyond reputebowlie has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Need apartment in NYON

It has always been difficult to find housing in Nyon. At one time even the mayor couldn’t find a place to live in the city.

There is reasonably good bus service from neighbouring villages into the centre and the station. For example the run out to La Rippe, via Eysins, Arnex, Borex and Crassier is hourly 06h-23h and twice hourly during rush hour. More frequent service to Prangin and Coppet.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank bowlie for this useful post:
  #3  
Old 15.04.2021, 08:47
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: la cote
Posts: 3,662
Groaned at 23 Times in 15 Posts
Thanked 3,312 Times in 1,742 Posts
runningdeer has a reputation beyond reputerunningdeer has a reputation beyond reputerunningdeer has a reputation beyond reputerunningdeer has a reputation beyond reputerunningdeer has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Need apartment in NYON

They are still building like crazy in Nyon for the last two years or more so you should find something. There's a bunch of new apartments in the portes de Nyon area across from the Migros which is close to autoroute but still walkable to the center. The area around the hospital also has a lot of new builds. Perhaps visit these places and find out the développer and contact them if it interests you.

Regarding the neighbouring villages noted in above post, would recommend a car. The bus service is patchy during non rush hours, late evenings and Sundays. But cycling is possible if you are into that.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 15.04.2021, 10:37
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Location: LaCote
Posts: 1,517
Groaned at 11 Times in 11 Posts
Thanked 2,821 Times in 1,065 Posts
Sigh has a reputation beyond reputeSigh has a reputation beyond reputeSigh has a reputation beyond reputeSigh has a reputation beyond reputeSigh has a reputation beyond reputeSigh has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Need apartment in NYON

Also sign up with the local real estate agencies in the area ex Burnier, Rytz, Domicim etc
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 15.04.2021, 10:47
Capitan Harlock's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Geneva
Posts: 127
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 99 Times in 48 Posts
Capitan Harlock is considered knowledgeableCapitan Harlock is considered knowledgeableCapitan Harlock is considered knowledgeable
Re: Need apartment in NYON

I was apartment hunting in Geneva and Nyon last year.

As mentioned by runningdeer they are building a lot in the "outskirts" of Nyon.

In the end we got an apartment in Geneva and we didn't want to move to Nyon, but I got approved for 3 apartments in 2 weeks in Nyon vs 1 in Geneva in 1 month... So not too hard.

Look on Anibiis, Immobilier and directly on the Regies' websites (there are not that many Regies in Nyon compared with Geneva, like 5-7).

You can find a 2-3 bed apartment in the 2000-2700 bracket with a parking spot.

In the city centre finding a house is not easy but Nyon is so small so even if you live in these new apartments you are not that far from the lake/centre.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 15.04.2021, 13:37
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Location: Up there over the fog
Posts: 3,498
Groaned at 411 Times in 307 Posts
Thanked 3,590 Times in 1,859 Posts
JackieH has a reputation beyond reputeJackieH has a reputation beyond reputeJackieH has a reputation beyond reputeJackieH has a reputation beyond reputeJackieH has a reputation beyond reputeJackieH has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Need apartment in NYON

Quote:
View Post
It has always been difficult to find housing in Nyon. At one time even the mayor couldn’t find a place to live in the city.

There is reasonably good bus service from neighbouring villages into the centre and the station. For example the run out to La Rippe, via Eysins, Arnex, Borex and Crassier is hourly 06h-23h and twice hourly during rush hour. More frequent service to Prangin and Coppet.
Remember the happy days when I used to go on holiday in Eysins, and it was just a few village houses and a couple of farms ...
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 15.04.2021, 13:48
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Location: LaCote
Posts: 1,517
Groaned at 11 Times in 11 Posts
Thanked 2,821 Times in 1,065 Posts
Sigh has a reputation beyond reputeSigh has a reputation beyond reputeSigh has a reputation beyond reputeSigh has a reputation beyond reputeSigh has a reputation beyond reputeSigh has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Need apartment in NYON

Quote:
View Post
Remember the happy days when I used to go on holiday in Eysins, and it was just a few village houses and a couple of farms ...
Replaced by ugly blocks, each time I pass Port de Nyon I wonder what the architect was thinking, if at all
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 16.04.2021, 01:18
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Jan 2021
Location: Genava
Posts: 11
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
citykid has no particular reputation at present
Quote:
View Post
I was apartment hunting in Geneva and Nyon last year.

As mentioned by runningdeer they are building a lot in the "outskirts" of Nyon.

In the end we got an apartment in Geneva and we didn't want to move to Nyon, but I got approved for 3 apartments in 2 weeks in Nyon vs 1 in Geneva in 1 month... So not too hard.

Look on Anibiis, Immobilier and directly on the Regies' websites (there are not that many Regies in Nyon compared with Geneva, like 5-7).

You can find a 2-3 bed apartment in the 2000-2700 bracket with a parking spot.

In the city centre finding a house is not easy but Nyon is so small so even if you live in these new apartments you are not that far from the lake/centre.
Yes I've been looking daily, my husband sent out inquiries to four places from the websites and one was taken, the others did not even bother to respond. :-( I wonder if this is normal?? I'm in NYC currently, where all one needs to do is just call a broker and line up 10-20 apartments to see in one day. No cover letters, no 'wooing' the owner, just quick and easy look + apply. Two months down payment, and that's it.

I have to get used to the Swiss way of doing things.

Quote:
View Post
It has always been difficult to find housing in Nyon. At one time even the mayor couldn’t find a place to live in the city.

There is reasonably good bus service from neighbouring villages into the centre and the station. For example the run out to La Rippe, via Eysins, Arnex, Borex and Crassier is hourly 06h-23h and twice hourly during rush hour. More frequent service to Prangin and Coppet.
Thanks! It has to be Nyon though, not the other little villages. Hubby and I took a while to even settle on Nyon, and the reason we did was because everything in town is so convenient. There is stuff to see and do without driving. School options too. Plus all the supermarkets, butchers, etc. are all right there so no need to have a car and go out to shop.

Last edited by 3Wishes; 17.04.2021 at 22:50. Reason: merging consecutive replies
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 16.04.2021, 07:29
John_H
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Need apartment in NYON

Quote:
View Post
Thanks! It has to be Nyon though, not the other little villages. Hubby and I took a while to even settle on Nyon, and the reason we did was because everything in town is so convenient. There is stuff to see and do without driving. School options too. Plus all the supermarkets, butchers, etc. are all right there so no need to have a car and go out to shop.
Have one of you been and seen Nyon? It's small but also pretty spread out..

I mean if you got a place near the hospital you'd be pretty far out of the centre or at Porte de Nyon you'd be near the super market but also closer to the village of Eysins than the centre of Nyon..
To be so specifically in the centre will take a bit of luck ..and mostly likely an older and smaller apartment, probably without a view or an elevator and with an elevated price. I'd probably drop a note to some smaller agencies with a more personal touch . We used CB TRansimmo before.

You really might want to get a feel for the place before committing to at least a year somewhere.. In my opinion the public transport is really good, cheap and easy.. and the villages provide more of a community especially for kids.. But each to their own.
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank for this useful post:
  #10  
Old 16.04.2021, 08:46
HIAO's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Suisse Romande
Posts: 1,398
Groaned at 10 Times in 9 Posts
Thanked 3,553 Times in 1,012 Posts
HIAO has a reputation beyond reputeHIAO has a reputation beyond reputeHIAO has a reputation beyond reputeHIAO has a reputation beyond reputeHIAO has a reputation beyond reputeHIAO has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Need apartment in NYON

Quote:
View Post
Yes I've been looking daily, my husband sent out inquiries to four places from the websites and one was taken, the others did not even bother to respond. :-( I wonder if this is normal?? I'm in NYC currently, where all one needs to do is just call a broker and line up 10-20 apartments to see in one day. No cover letters, no 'wooing' the owner, just quick and easy look + apply. Two months down payment, and that's it.

I have to get used to the Swiss way of doing things.
Did you send your emails in English?

I didn’t have to write a cover letter, or woo any landlords when we moved here. I just prepared the necessary info in advance and moved quickly.

I see it as less about getting used to a Swiss way of doing things and easier if you change mindset, starting by not comparing practices in a city of 8m people with a municipality of 20k.

I also find folks to be more responsive by phone, which I acknowledge can bring language challenges.

Nyon is beautiful. Good choice and there are other great places to put on the shortlist.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank HIAO for this useful post:
  #11  
Old 16.04.2021, 11:44
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: la cote
Posts: 3,662
Groaned at 23 Times in 15 Posts
Thanked 3,312 Times in 1,742 Posts
runningdeer has a reputation beyond reputerunningdeer has a reputation beyond reputerunningdeer has a reputation beyond reputerunningdeer has a reputation beyond reputerunningdeer has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Need apartment in NYON

Quote:
View Post
Yes I've been looking daily, my husband sent out inquiries to four places from the websites and one was taken, the others did not even bother to respond. :-( I wonder if this is normal?? I'm in NYC currently, where all one needs to do is just call a broker and line up 10-20 apartments to see in one day. No cover letters, no 'wooing' the owner, just quick and easy look + apply. Two months down payment, and that's it.
Totally normal. I would be surprised they would engage or consider someone who is not yet in the country. Normally you would be in temporary housing for a while and then look around when here. Do you have all the standard swiss paperwork (work contract)? Bank account? Pay deposit in CHF? Vacancy rates are super low here (less than 1%), so it is a totally different market than NYC, albeit you should find something in Nyon with the construction boom. It is not unusual to look for 3-6 months until one finds something suitable and is accepted. Applications for one apartment can be 100 or more in Geneva, probably a bit less in Nyon, but for a desirable place competition will be fierce.

Quote:
View Post
I have to get used to the Swiss way of doing things.
Yes, it's a very different world!
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank runningdeer for this useful post:
  #12  
Old 16.04.2021, 14:11
Capitan Harlock's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Geneva
Posts: 127
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 99 Times in 48 Posts
Capitan Harlock is considered knowledgeableCapitan Harlock is considered knowledgeableCapitan Harlock is considered knowledgeable
Re: Need apartment in NYON

Quote:
View Post
Yes I've been looking daily, my husband sent out inquiries to four places from the websites and one was taken, the others did not even bother to respond. :-( I wonder if this is normal?? I'm in NYC currently, where all one needs to do is just call a broker and line up 10-20 apartments to see in one day. No cover letters, no 'wooing' the owner, just quick and easy look + apply. Two months down payment, and that's it.

I have to get used to the Swiss way of doing things.
Make sure you have your dossier well in order with all the documentation:
- Passports
- Permits
- Attestation des Porsuites
- Last 3 pay slips
- (optional but appreciated) the insurance you have to make for damages to third parties when you rent a house

ALWAYS write in French, if you don't know it well google translate is better than an email in English.

These were the Regies I monitored for Nyon:
https://www.cogestim.ch/
https://comptoir-immo.ch/
https://www.spg-rytz.ch/en/
https://www.burnier.ch/
https://www.grange.ch/
https://www.bernard-nicod.ch/fr/HomePage

Plus Anibis were you find people who need people to take over their lease, they are usually a good source: https://www.anibis.ch/fr/default.aspx

I haven't understood if you are already in Nyon or not. If you are not going physically to see the apartments you will never get one. One prerequisite to even being considered by a Regie is to say you visited the apartment. They usually keep track of the names of people who visit, so if you just enquire online you have literally ZERO chance to get any apartment.

Furthermore by visiting the apartment and the apartment is still inhabited by the current tenant, you can make a good impression on them and they might recommend you to the Regie for the house (when I left my previous apartment I recommended one of the person who come to visit it to the Regie as they made me a better impression than the others).

Lastly, if you want to take over the lease (which is a good way to increase your chances) is again important to visit the apartment and make a good impression on the current tenant for the same reasons as above.
Reply With Quote
The following 5 users would like to thank Capitan Harlock for this useful post:
  #13  
Old 17.04.2021, 04:04
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Jan 2021
Location: Genava
Posts: 11
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
citykid has no particular reputation at present
Re: Need apartment in NYON

Quote:
View Post
Make sure you have your dossier well in order with all the documentation:
- Passports
- Permits
- Attestation des Porsuites
- Last 3 pay slips
- (optional but appreciated) the insurance you have to make for damages to third parties when you rent a house

ALWAYS write in French, if you don't know it well google translate is better than an email in English.

These were the Regies I monitored for Nyon:
https://www.cogestim.ch/
https://comptoir-immo.ch/
https://www.spg-rytz.ch/en/
https://www.burnier.ch/
https://www.grange.ch/
https://www.bernard-nicod.ch/fr/HomePage

Plus Anibis were you find people who need people to take over their lease, they are usually a good source: https://www.anibis.ch/fr/default.aspx

I haven't understood if you are already in Nyon or not. If you are not going physically to see the apartments you will never get one. One prerequisite to even being considered by a Regie is to say you visited the apartment. They usually keep track of the names of people who visit, so if you just enquire online you have literally ZERO chance to get any apartment.

Furthermore by visiting the apartment and the apartment is still inhabited by the current tenant, you can make a good impression on them and they might recommend you to the Regie for the house (when I left my previous apartment I recommended one of the person who come to visit it to the Regie as they made me a better impression than the others).

Lastly, if you want to take over the lease (which is a good way to increase your chances) is again important to visit the apartment and make a good impression on the current tenant for the same reasons as above.
Thanks for the info. These are great websites, we have been looking for a while. Yes, he is the one trying to look for the apartments since he is there for two weeks and I am still back home. His French is A2 level so he pretty much uses Google translate for emails and has to switch to English in conversation because the French is just way too fast.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 17.04.2021, 12:41
Atheri's Avatar
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Nyon
Posts: 87
Groaned at 24 Times in 7 Posts
Thanked 95 Times in 40 Posts
Atheri has become a little unpopular
Re: Need apartment in NYON

Hmm, strange that it is so difficult. I'm in Nyon and have been considering a small upgrade (to have a big balcony or to be on the top floor) from my current apartment in old town.

I've sent about 6-7 requests over the past 1.5 months and always got the time for a viewing. For few instances the person even told I am one of the first ones and if I submit my application right now, it will be pretty much guaranteed..

And I don't speak a word of French btw.

Just for your information, I use Anibis.ch exclusively to search, people are very responsive there.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 17.04.2021, 17:35
FrankZappa's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: France, near Geneva
Posts: 865
Groaned at 8 Times in 7 Posts
Thanked 2,777 Times in 728 Posts
FrankZappa has a reputation beyond reputeFrankZappa has a reputation beyond reputeFrankZappa has a reputation beyond reputeFrankZappa has a reputation beyond reputeFrankZappa has a reputation beyond reputeFrankZappa has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Need apartment in NYON

Slightly off topic, a friend whose house is 5 minutes walk from Nyon station is having it knocked down to be replaced by three cute prefab terraced houses. Enough to finance early retirement, including a winter retreat on the Med.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 17.04.2021, 17:43
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Nyon
Posts: 6,563
Groaned at 390 Times in 286 Posts
Thanked 9,159 Times in 4,281 Posts
bowlie has a reputation beyond reputebowlie has a reputation beyond reputebowlie has a reputation beyond reputebowlie has a reputation beyond reputebowlie has a reputation beyond reputebowlie has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Need apartment in NYON

Quote:
View Post
Thanks for the info. These are great websites, we have been looking for a while. Yes, he is the one trying to look for the apartments since he is there for two weeks and I am still back home. His French is A2 level so he pretty much uses Google translate for emails and has to switch to English in conversation because the French is just way too fast.
Https://DeepL.com is a much better translator. It knows the difference between tu and vous, for example
Reply With Quote
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Apartment hunting in Nyon fatez Housing in general 7 22.06.2020 17:41
4.5 piece apartment, centre Nyon Harls Property offered 3 04.10.2019 17:04
I am looking for 2-3 beds apartment in Lausane or Nyon StewartN Housing in general 0 05.12.2010 23:40
Urgently need apartment in nyon stephen Housing in general 9 20.02.2008 08:47
Seek apartment in Nyon/Morges cell2cells Housing in general 0 05.05.2007 13:51


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 09:16.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0