Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Housing in general  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 31.07.2021, 16:09
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Jul 2021
Location: Basel
Posts: 17
Groaned at 2 Times in 1 Post
Thanked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Baselg has no particular reputation at present
My friend

Hi everyone,

I have a really close friend who suffered a stroke recently and has been fired from work and is on 80% salary.

He’s been living with me since February for free I don’t charge him a penny.

He’s started recently treating me badly and it’s made me feel like I’ve been taken for granted I’m considering starting to charge him rent 300chf a month for his really small room.

What’s the best way to position this?

Am I doing the right thing here he’s been horrible to me today
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 31.07.2021, 16:30
Medea Fleecestealer's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Switzerland
Posts: 22,248
Groaned at 411 Times in 319 Posts
Thanked 17,280 Times in 9,701 Posts
Medea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond repute
Re: My friend

Better to find out why his attitude has changed. Could be frustration with his situation, depression, etc.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Medea Fleecestealer for this useful post:
  #3  
Old 31.07.2021, 16:30
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Zurich
Posts: 13,357
Groaned at 1,241 Times in 823 Posts
Thanked 19,418 Times in 7,506 Posts
Chuff has a reputation beyond reputeChuff has a reputation beyond reputeChuff has a reputation beyond reputeChuff has a reputation beyond reputeChuff has a reputation beyond reputeChuff has a reputation beyond repute
Re: My friend

Quote:
View Post
Hi everyone,

I have a really close friend who suffered a stroke recently and has been fired from work and is on 80% salary.

He’s been living with me since February for free I don’t charge him a penny.

He’s started recently treating me badly and it’s made me feel like I’ve been taken for granted I’m considering starting to charge him rent 300chf a month for his really small room.

What’s the best way to position this?

Am I doing the right thing here he’s been horrible to me today
So lets get this straight. You are on a very low salary, have 'been advised to use social services', and despite that are letting someone with a health condition stay with you... for free? You are supporting 2 people on a salary insufficient for one person?

Obviously if you are experiencing financial hardship then you should be asking for financial support from the person you are housing and feeding... but then I am guessing you likely already know that.

As for the person treating you like crap... have some courage and speak to them and ask them to improve their behaviour or ask them to leave.
Reply With Quote
The following 9 users would like to thank Chuff for this useful post:
  #4  
Old 31.07.2021, 16:36
schoggiweggli's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2021
Location: BaselStadt
Posts: 335
Groaned at 26 Times in 15 Posts
Thanked 651 Times in 238 Posts
schoggiweggli has a reputation beyond reputeschoggiweggli has a reputation beyond reputeschoggiweggli has a reputation beyond reputeschoggiweggli has a reputation beyond reputeschoggiweggli has a reputation beyond repute
Re: My friend

Is that you Justin?
Reply With Quote
The following 7 users would like to thank schoggiweggli for this useful post:
  #5  
Old 31.07.2021, 16:43
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Jul 2021
Location: Basel
Posts: 17
Groaned at 2 Times in 1 Post
Thanked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Baselg has no particular reputation at present
Re: My friend

Quote:
View Post
So lets get this straight. You are on a very low salary, have 'been advised to use social services', and despite that are letting someone with a health condition stay with you... for free? You are supporting 2 people on a salary insufficient for one person?

Obviously if you are experiencing financial hardship then you should be asking for financial support from the person you are housing and feeding... but then I am guessing you likely already know that.

As for the person treating you like crap... have some courage and speak to them and ask them to improve their behaviour or ask them to leave.
Yes but I like helping people it’s how I have been brought up.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Baselg for this useful post:
  #6  
Old 31.07.2021, 16:56
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Zurich
Posts: 13,357
Groaned at 1,241 Times in 823 Posts
Thanked 19,418 Times in 7,506 Posts
Chuff has a reputation beyond reputeChuff has a reputation beyond reputeChuff has a reputation beyond reputeChuff has a reputation beyond reputeChuff has a reputation beyond reputeChuff has a reputation beyond repute
Re: My friend

Quote:
View Post
Yes but I like helping people it’s how I have been brought up.
Sadly they seem to have skipped the common sense part when bringing you up.

Also this thread sounds too much like previous troll posters, the usual unlikely story with vague details and replies, so I am calling BS on it.

Quote:
View Post
Is that you Justin?
Yup, seems like a similar posting style to that disturbed and constantly attention-seeking individual.
Reply With Quote
The following 5 users would like to thank Chuff for this useful post:
  #7  
Old 31.07.2021, 17:45
olygirl's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: d' Innerschwiiz
Posts: 7,317
Groaned at 402 Times in 266 Posts
Thanked 17,266 Times in 5,305 Posts
olygirl has a reputation beyond reputeolygirl has a reputation beyond reputeolygirl has a reputation beyond reputeolygirl has a reputation beyond reputeolygirl has a reputation beyond reputeolygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Re: My friend

Can we merge Baselags two threads? They’re basically about the same thing.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank olygirl for this useful post:
  #8  
Old 31.07.2021, 18:17
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Location: LaCote
Posts: 1,152
Groaned at 7 Times in 7 Posts
Thanked 2,104 Times in 793 Posts
Sigh has a reputation beyond reputeSigh has a reputation beyond reputeSigh has a reputation beyond reputeSigh has a reputation beyond reputeSigh has a reputation beyond repute
Re: My friend

Quote:
View Post
Hi everyone,

I have a really close friend who suffered a stroke recently and has been fired from work and is on 80% salary.
Was he fired while on sickleave?
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 31.07.2021, 19:03
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Zurich
Posts: 8,416
Groaned at 296 Times in 225 Posts
Thanked 19,377 Times in 6,742 Posts
k_and_e has a reputation beyond reputek_and_e has a reputation beyond reputek_and_e has a reputation beyond reputek_and_e has a reputation beyond reputek_and_e has a reputation beyond reputek_and_e has a reputation beyond repute
Re: My friend

Quote:
View Post
Can we merge Baselags two threads? They’re basically about the same thing.
It would be better to close both.
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank k_and_e for this useful post:
  #10  
Old 31.07.2021, 20:12
Island Monkey's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Wallis
Posts: 5,887
Groaned at 98 Times in 63 Posts
Thanked 6,541 Times in 2,977 Posts
Island Monkey has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Monkey has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Monkey has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Monkey has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Monkey has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Monkey has a reputation beyond repute
Re: My friend

Quote:
View Post
Is that you Justin?
I was about to say the very same thing after reading the other thread!
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank Island Monkey for this useful post:
  #11  
Old 31.07.2021, 21:26
NotAllThere's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Baselland
Posts: 13,627
Groaned at 236 Times in 207 Posts
Thanked 19,999 Times in 8,130 Posts
NotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond repute
Re: My friend

Quote:
View Post
...
I have a really close friend who suffered a stroke recently and has been fired from work ...
A recent stroke, followed by being sacked? Seems unlikely.
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank NotAllThere for this useful post:
  #12  
Old 31.07.2021, 23:04
amogles's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Zurich
Posts: 12,361
Groaned at 339 Times in 276 Posts
Thanked 26,257 Times in 11,000 Posts
amogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond repute
Re: My friend

Folks, would you please resist the urge to cliquishly attack newbies, at least not until said newbies have had an opportunity to adequately explain and justify themselves.
Reply With Quote
The following 6 users would like to thank amogles for this useful post:
  #13  
Old 01.08.2021, 03:20
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: ZH
Posts: 7,955
Groaned at 94 Times in 75 Posts
Thanked 12,301 Times in 4,988 Posts
doropfiz has a reputation beyond reputedoropfiz has a reputation beyond reputedoropfiz has a reputation beyond reputedoropfiz has a reputation beyond reputedoropfiz has a reputation beyond reputedoropfiz has a reputation beyond repute
Re: My friend

Quote:
View Post
Folks, would you please resist the urge to cliquishly attack newbies, at least not until said newbies have had an opportunity to adequately explain and justify themselves.
Thank you! This.

Whatever the poster's issues are, they may be "just trolling", as many have assumed, that could be the case, indeed. But they may be feeling lost and in serious need in a range of ways, and the circularity of the threads and appeals could indicate that.

We don't, after all, know what pain they are in, nor what suffering they've been through, nor what difficulties they now have to face, nor why their life seems such a spiral struggle. Perhaps part of what is needed is some straightforward information, part is perhaps a little kindness. In any event, at the very least, let us do no harm. And the replies, here, may help someone else, too.
Reply With Quote
The following 7 users would like to thank doropfiz for this useful post:
  #14  
Old 01.08.2021, 06:25
Island Monkey's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Wallis
Posts: 5,887
Groaned at 98 Times in 63 Posts
Thanked 6,541 Times in 2,977 Posts
Island Monkey has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Monkey has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Monkey has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Monkey has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Monkey has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Monkey has a reputation beyond repute
Re: My friend

Quote:
View Post
Thank you! This.

Whatever the poster's issues are, they may be "just trolling", as many have assumed, that could be the case, indeed. But they may be feeling lost and in serious need in a range of ways, and the circularity of the threads and appeals could indicate that.

We don't, after all, know what pain they are in, nor what suffering they've been through, nor what difficulties they now have to face, nor why their life seems such a spiral struggle. Perhaps part of what is needed is some straightforward information, part is perhaps a little kindness. In any event, at the very least, let us do no harm. And the replies, here, may help someone else, too.
It’s Justin!! And no one has so many major problems in their life that are similar yet slightly different
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 01.08.2021, 09:07
NotAllThere's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Baselland
Posts: 13,627
Groaned at 236 Times in 207 Posts
Thanked 19,999 Times in 8,130 Posts
NotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond repute
Re: My friend

Quote:
View Post
Folks, would you please resist the urge to cliquishly attack newbies, at least not until said newbies have had an opportunity to adequately explain and justify themselves.
I agree, kind of, but I bet you no adequate explanation or justification, or indeed much in the way of engagement will come forth. If it does, I for one will apologise fulsomely.

As far as doropfiz is concerned she ain't no ninny, but very well intended. Some people are like that. Better than being an obnxious git like me.

Last edited by NotAllThere; 02.08.2021 at 11:15.
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank NotAllThere for this useful post:
  #16  
Old 01.08.2021, 12:00
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2020
Location: Baselland
Posts: 536
Groaned at 17 Times in 14 Posts
Thanked 683 Times in 337 Posts
LtSoftDrink has a reputation beyond reputeLtSoftDrink has a reputation beyond reputeLtSoftDrink has a reputation beyond reputeLtSoftDrink has a reputation beyond reputeLtSoftDrink has a reputation beyond repute
Re: My friend

Quote:
View Post


Ahh doropfiz, your unending optimism and blind naivety in every thread never cease to amaze me. You are the forums most oblivious yet absolutely well-intended ninny.
IMHO Doropfiz is certainly full of good intentions and has the patience of a saint. I certainly wouldn’t try to spell things out repeatedly for new posters basically asking the same questions over and over again. However, I do not recognize any lack of perception.

My summary: Doropfiz is cool and you’re anything but. At best I’d admire a post not quite dripping with malice couched in mildly offensive terms
Reply With Quote
The following 7 users would like to thank LtSoftDrink for this useful post:
  #17  
Old 01.08.2021, 12:42
amogles's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Zurich
Posts: 12,361
Groaned at 339 Times in 276 Posts
Thanked 26,257 Times in 11,000 Posts
amogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond repute
Re: My friend

Quote:
View Post
I agree, kind of, but I bet you no adequate explanation or justification, or indeed much in the way of engagement will come forth. If it does, I for one will apologise fulsomely.
I agree, but if certain members chose to bait and intimidate the OP, this makes it less likely that useful information and dialogue will be forthcoming.

Thus this type of assumption can be self-fulfilling.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank amogles for this useful post:
  #18  
Old 01.08.2021, 13:54
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Zurich
Posts: 629
Groaned at 3 Times in 3 Posts
Thanked 836 Times in 336 Posts
eairicbloodaxe has a reputation beyond reputeeairicbloodaxe has a reputation beyond reputeeairicbloodaxe has a reputation beyond reputeeairicbloodaxe has a reputation beyond reputeeairicbloodaxe has a reputation beyond repute
Re: My friend

Quote:
View Post


Ahh doropfiz, your unending optimism and blind naivety in every thread never cease to amaze me. You are the forums most oblivious yet absolutely well-intended ninny.

Moderators. Why is Chuff not banned for repeatedly posting personal insults about others on the forum, instead of helping posters with useful answers?




Kind regards




Ian
Reply With Quote
The following 5 users would like to thank eairicbloodaxe for this useful post:
  #19  
Old 01.08.2021, 18:11
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2021
Location: Basel-Stadt
Posts: 329
Groaned at 143 Times in 72 Posts
Thanked 319 Times in 164 Posts
CliiniMuus has earned some respectCliiniMuus has earned some respect
Re: My friend

Quote:
View Post
Moderators. Why is Chuff not banned for repeatedly posting personal insults about others on the forum, instead of helping posters with useful answers?




Kind regards




Ian
Moderators can you please remove the abusive posts?
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 01.08.2021, 18:29
schoggiweggli's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2021
Location: BaselStadt
Posts: 335
Groaned at 26 Times in 15 Posts
Thanked 651 Times in 238 Posts
schoggiweggli has a reputation beyond reputeschoggiweggli has a reputation beyond reputeschoggiweggli has a reputation beyond reputeschoggiweggli has a reputation beyond reputeschoggiweggli has a reputation beyond repute
Re: My friend

Quote:
View Post
Moderators can you please remove the abusive posts?
Hardly abusive.
(Note, I’m no fan of Chuff)

Last edited by schoggiweggli; 01.08.2021 at 18:30. Reason: More
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank schoggiweggli for this useful post:
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Asking for a friend robBob Social events 44 07.06.2021 19:57
Man's best friend robBob General off-topic 0 13.07.2019 11:22
looking for filipino friend cheche Introductions 1 17.06.2014 08:02
Looking for a ski friend Clair27 Introductions 1 15.02.2014 20:19
Hello... a new friend nelsonpm Introductions 5 27.08.2009 22:27


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 10:31.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0