Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Housing in general  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 18.10.2021, 09:54
Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2021
Location: Asia
Posts: 8
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 2 Times in 1 Post
purplearc has no particular reputation at present
Renting without credit history

Hi,

Is it hard to find a nice place to rent without any credit history? Can you offer to pay an extra deposit amount to gain the owner's trust?

If renting a house becomes a challenge, would it legally okay for an expat to stay in an Airbnb until you build some credit score?

Thank you
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 18.10.2021, 11:10
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: la cote
Posts: 3,594
Groaned at 21 Times in 13 Posts
Thanked 3,245 Times in 1,704 Posts
runningdeer has a reputation beyond reputerunningdeer has a reputation beyond reputerunningdeer has a reputation beyond reputerunningdeer has a reputation beyond reputerunningdeer has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Renting without credit history

Credit history is not a thing here (thank god) , no worries.

However, upon getting your permit (depending on nationality) you may be asked to provide clean criminal record and record of no debts in Switzerland.

For most apartments, at least in the in demand markets, be prepared to have 3-months rent deposit, put in a locked account. That would be the norm for everyone.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 18.10.2021, 11:31
roegner's Avatar
Moderately Dutch
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Zurich
Posts: 11,248
Groaned at 373 Times in 313 Posts
Thanked 14,362 Times in 6,661 Posts
roegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Renting without credit history

Way back didn´t have an issue renting a place, 3 months deposit and proof of having enough income (provided by my employer). Nobody asked for a credit check
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 18.10.2021, 11:34
Axa's Avatar
Axa Axa is offline
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: Suhr, Aargau
Posts: 3,686
Groaned at 44 Times in 44 Posts
Thanked 4,941 Times in 2,293 Posts
Axa has a reputation beyond reputeAxa has a reputation beyond reputeAxa has a reputation beyond reputeAxa has a reputation beyond reputeAxa has a reputation beyond reputeAxa has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Renting without credit history

There's no credit score with an idiotic number in Switzerland. But, there's a registry of debts that tells if you pay your debts timely or not. So, you just go to the cantonal office and ask for a certificate of the status of your debts. Since you're just arriving, the certificate will show nothing, therefore good for rent.

Don't know where you're settling, so the certificate is named in French Extrait registre poursuite or in German Betreibungsregisterauszugs.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank Axa for this useful post:
  #5  
Old 18.10.2021, 11:45
Never TheLess's Avatar
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2021
Location: Around and about
Posts: 90
Groaned at 6 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 111 Times in 49 Posts
Never TheLess has an excellent reputationNever TheLess has an excellent reputationNever TheLess has an excellent reputationNever TheLess has an excellent reputation
Re: Renting without credit history

Otherwise Swisscaution or similar. Not all landlords/ladies accept though.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 18.10.2021, 14:20
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Zurich
Posts: 5,562
Groaned at 376 Times in 208 Posts
Thanked 6,369 Times in 2,921 Posts
ZuriRollt has a reputation beyond reputeZuriRollt has a reputation beyond reputeZuriRollt has a reputation beyond reputeZuriRollt has a reputation beyond reputeZuriRollt has a reputation beyond reputeZuriRollt has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Renting without credit history

Quote:
View Post
Otherwise Swisscaution or similar. Not all landlords/ladies accept though.
That has nothing to do with your credit history, it merely provides an insurance covering the rental deposit.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 18.10.2021, 15:28
eyebeebe's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Pfäffikon SZ
Posts: 2,246
Groaned at 20 Times in 19 Posts
Thanked 3,002 Times in 1,270 Posts
eyebeebe has a reputation beyond reputeeyebeebe has a reputation beyond reputeeyebeebe has a reputation beyond reputeeyebeebe has a reputation beyond reputeeyebeebe has a reputation beyond reputeeyebeebe has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Renting without credit history

Quote:
View Post
That has nothing to do with your credit history, it merely provides an insurance covering the rental deposit.
An insurance for the landlord, not the tenant, but paid for by the tenant. The tenant remains liable for any damage or other reasons that the landlord needs to deduct from the deposit.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank eyebeebe for this useful post:
  #8  
Old 18.10.2021, 16:49
Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2021
Location: Asia
Posts: 8
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 2 Times in 1 Post
purplearc has no particular reputation at present
Re: Renting without credit history

Quote:
View Post
Credit history is not a thing here (thank god) , no worries.

However, upon getting your permit (depending on nationality) you may be asked to provide clean criminal record and record of no debts in Switzerland.

For most apartments, at least in the in demand markets, be prepared to have 3-months rent deposit, put in a locked account. That would be the norm for everyone.
You meant no debt or criminal record in Switzerland, correct? Or will I also be expected to carry these documents from my non-EU home country?
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 18.10.2021, 16:54
Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2021
Location: Asia
Posts: 8
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 2 Times in 1 Post
purplearc has no particular reputation at present
Re: Renting without credit history

Quote:
View Post
There's no credit score with an idiotic number in Switzerland. But, there's a registry of debts that tells if you pay your debts timely or not. So, you just go to the cantonal office and ask for a certificate of the status of your debts. Since you're just arriving, the certificate will show nothing, therefore good for rent.

Don't know where you're settling, so the certificate is named in French Extrait registre poursuite or in German Betreibungsregisterauszugs.
Yeah in many countries like USA, the concept of credit score is strange. It's like you HAVE to get a credit card or take some loans to build a credit score. Even if you have plenty of money and don't need to buy anything on credit you still need to do that just to build a credit score.

The concept of checking for unpaid debt makes so much more sense.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 18.10.2021, 16:55
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: CH
Posts: 11,009
Groaned at 349 Times in 285 Posts
Thanked 16,170 Times in 8,226 Posts
greenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Renting without credit history

Quote:
View Post
You meant no debt or criminal record in Switzerland, correct? Or will I also be expected to carry these documents from my non-EU home country?
I have never heard of anyone being asked to produce a criminal record in order to rent, what a curious idea. This is for getting your residence permit as far as I know.
As for renting - no credit history, it's sufficient to be able to pay that rent deposit for 3 months and also to get a letter from your employer by which you prove you have a sufficient monthly income and can pay the rent.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 18.10.2021, 17:13
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Zurich
Posts: 5,562
Groaned at 376 Times in 208 Posts
Thanked 6,369 Times in 2,921 Posts
ZuriRollt has a reputation beyond reputeZuriRollt has a reputation beyond reputeZuriRollt has a reputation beyond reputeZuriRollt has a reputation beyond reputeZuriRollt has a reputation beyond reputeZuriRollt has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Renting without credit history

Quote:
View Post
Yeah in many countries like USA, the concept of credit score is strange. It's like you HAVE to get a credit card or take some loans to build a credit score. Even if you have plenty of money and don't need to buy anything on credit you still need to do that just to build a credit score.

The concept of checking for unpaid debt makes so much more sense.
Anyhow, the main sources of looking for an apartment to rent here that also provide you with all that you need to know are:

https://www.homegate.ch/rent/real-estate-search?tr=8

and

https://www.immoscout24.ch/en

You will usually (always) need to provide a Swiss debt collection excerpt - Betreibunsauszug (easily available through the links provided on-line at these sites -, and a rental guarantee representing 3 months rental deposit if you want the apartment - the latter can also be covered by an insurance premium through Swisscaution if you don‘t want to tie-up your money (also described through these links).

If you don‘t have debt shown on your Betreibungsauszug i.e. companies that you have defaulted on in your payments, then you are all clear.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank ZuriRollt for this useful post:
  #12  
Old 18.10.2021, 18:06
Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2021
Location: Asia
Posts: 8
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 2 Times in 1 Post
purplearc has no particular reputation at present
Re: Renting without credit history

Thanks so much!
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank purplearc for this useful post:
  #13  
Old 19.10.2021, 10:24
Shinigami's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Gland, Switzerland
Posts: 825
Groaned at 6 Times in 5 Posts
Thanked 352 Times in 239 Posts
Shinigami has a reputation beyond reputeShinigami has a reputation beyond reputeShinigami has a reputation beyond reputeShinigami has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Renting without credit history

They may ask for an extract from the prosecutors office and a recent pay slip. This is what one landlord asked me to provide just now (as I'm searching for a larger place and found one).
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 19.10.2021, 12:04
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: CH
Posts: 11,009
Groaned at 349 Times in 285 Posts
Thanked 16,170 Times in 8,226 Posts
greenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Renting without credit history

Quote:
View Post
You will usually (always) need to provide a Swiss debt collection excerpt - Betreibunsauszug (easily available through the links provided on-line at these sites -, and a rental guarantee representing 3 months rental deposit if you want the apartment - the latter can also be covered by an insurance premium through Swisscaution if you don‘t want to tie-up your money (also described through these links).

If you don‘t have debt shown on your Betreibungsauszug i.e. companies that you have defaulted on in your payments, then you are all clear.
I don't remember if they asked that when we rented for the first time in CH, but I might be wrong. Anyway, "Betreibungsauszug" is indeed very easy to procure and you have to pay just a very small fee. That should be enough for a "credit history" in CH.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank greenmount for this useful post:
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Credit history and cars on PCP marv Finance/banking/taxation 0 02.02.2015 18:51
Credit [how does credit history work in Switzerland] clintminer73 Finance/banking/taxation 8 19.03.2014 12:58
Bad Credit History gasha1 Employment 56 23.11.2013 21:07
credit history Dhap Finance/banking/taxation 0 09.10.2008 00:22
credit history littlemouse Finance/banking/taxation 11 12.04.2008 16:00


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 12:42.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0