Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Housing in general  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21  
Old 15.08.2008, 22:19
antalt's Avatar
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Baar
Posts: 11
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
antalt has no particular reputation at present
Re: Does offering to pay above the pricetag help?

Quote:
View Post
What is so stupid about wanting to know who is living in your house???

because it's absurd to ask for all kinds of information if really what they care about is an assurance of the fact that they will be able to collect the rent. a statement of income should technically suffice (though I do realize it doesn't)...
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 15.08.2008, 22:28
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Ticino
Posts: 2,872
Groaned at 91 Times in 63 Posts
Thanked 3,656 Times in 1,471 Posts
Snoopy has a reputation beyond reputeSnoopy has a reputation beyond reputeSnoopy has a reputation beyond reputeSnoopy has a reputation beyond reputeSnoopy has a reputation beyond reputeSnoopy has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Does offering to pay above the pricetag help?

Quote:
View Post
because it's absurd to ask for all kinds of information if really what they care about is an assurance of the fact that they will be able to collect the rent. a statement of income should technically suffice (though I do realize it doesn't)...
That's YOUR opinion as a tenant, but hardly the opinion of the owner....
If I was renting out my house, I would want to know who was renting it rather than just whether they could pay for it. Landlords who are picky about who rent their properties are also generally more inclined to look after the property. From a tenant point of view I would have thought that wasn't a bad thing. Having been both an owner and a tenant I can see both sides. Also, having nothing to hide it never really worried me to fill out the application.

My suggestion to you antalt as a newcomer to this country is to try and avoid bucking the system. In case you haven't picked this up from the forum yet, the Swiss are a fairly conservative bunch. Being "imaginative" (for want of a better word) can sometimes backfire, although YMMV.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 15.08.2008, 22:43
antalt's Avatar
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Baar
Posts: 11
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
antalt has no particular reputation at present
Re: Does offering to pay above the pricetag help?

Quote:
View Post
That's YOUR opinion as a tenant, but hardly the opinion of the owner....

for the moment it doesn't matter what my opinion is...all I did is make a logical conclusion from DFH's post....if a guy could pay a year's rent and move in without the application process, then the ability to pay is far more important than anything else.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 16.09.2008, 16:44
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Ticino
Posts: 2,872
Groaned at 91 Times in 63 Posts
Thanked 3,656 Times in 1,471 Posts
Snoopy has a reputation beyond reputeSnoopy has a reputation beyond reputeSnoopy has a reputation beyond reputeSnoopy has a reputation beyond reputeSnoopy has a reputation beyond reputeSnoopy has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Does offering to pay above the pricetag help?

I wonder whether the OP antalt and his friends are still throwing money around? Sounds like they should hold on to it for a rainy day if you ask me....
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Snoopy for this useful post:
  #25  
Old 16.09.2008, 17:58
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Zurich
Posts: 3,466
Groaned at 17 Times in 15 Posts
Thanked 1,992 Times in 1,185 Posts
CH_Me has a reputation beyond reputeCH_Me has a reputation beyond reputeCH_Me has a reputation beyond reputeCH_Me has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Does offering to pay above the pricetag help?

Quote:
View Post
for the moment it doesn't matter what my opinion is...all I did is make a logical conclusion from DFH's post....if a guy could pay a year's rent and move in without the application process, then the ability to pay is far more important than anything else.
So you get a years rent up front. Then you get your place trashed. I don't think the ability to pay is more important than getting an idea about the type of tenant who will be living in your investment.
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 16.09.2008, 18:07
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Does offering to pay above the pricetag help?

Would you like some mayo for that massive chip you have on your shoulder there?

Quote:
View Post
I wonder whether the OP antalt and his friends are still throwing money around? Sounds like they should hold on to it for a rainy day if you ask me....
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 16.09.2008, 20:31
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Ticino
Posts: 2,872
Groaned at 91 Times in 63 Posts
Thanked 3,656 Times in 1,471 Posts
Snoopy has a reputation beyond reputeSnoopy has a reputation beyond reputeSnoopy has a reputation beyond reputeSnoopy has a reputation beyond reputeSnoopy has a reputation beyond reputeSnoopy has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Does offering to pay above the pricetag help?

Quote:
View Post
Would you like some mayo for that massive chip you have on your shoulder there?
No chip and having worked in the airline industry for many years I have been on the job rollercoaster too. Been there, seen it, done it and so, I wouldn't wish anyone to lose their job...not even a banker.

However, I said at the time that I felt that the attitude displayed by the OP was particularly arrogant. It also displayed the kind of attitude, totally estranged from any reality, that many (not all) in the banking industry have displayed over the past years. It's a hard lesson to learn, but we may just all be better off after everything has come out in the wash and banks start concentrating on their customers again rather than on bonuses and shareholders....
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 16.09.2008, 21:48
dino's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Zurich
Posts: 1,663
Groaned at 31 Times in 24 Posts
Thanked 1,279 Times in 628 Posts
dino has a reputation beyond reputedino has a reputation beyond reputedino has a reputation beyond reputedino has a reputation beyond reputedino has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Does offering to pay above the pricetag help?

Quote:
View Post
People working for banks and throwing money around...it would seem it is not a cliche after all. Surprising that bank staff can still afford to act like that in light of the pathetic plight that banks seem to be in currently.

Smells rather like: I'm alright Jack and sod the rest of you.

Not clever, not particularly ethical and morally bankrupt.

Jeez.... really sour grapes, huh?

I don't know about clever, but it's the logical thing to do if you can afford the extra cash and cannot afford to spend weeks looking for housing.

it's as ethical as bargaining at the flea market - which is to say, completely.

morals - I'm not sure how that entered the picture...
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 16.09.2008, 22:02
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Ticino
Posts: 2,872
Groaned at 91 Times in 63 Posts
Thanked 3,656 Times in 1,471 Posts
Snoopy has a reputation beyond reputeSnoopy has a reputation beyond reputeSnoopy has a reputation beyond reputeSnoopy has a reputation beyond reputeSnoopy has a reputation beyond reputeSnoopy has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Does offering to pay above the pricetag help?

Quote:
View Post
Jeez.... really sour grapes, huh?

I don't know about clever, but it's the logical thing to do if you can afford the extra cash and cannot afford to spend weeks looking for housing.

it's as ethical as bargaining at the flea market - which is to say, completely.

morals - I'm not sure how that entered the picture...

Sour grapes would assume that I have an axe to grind...which I don't. But that doesn't preclude me from having an opinion, does it? As for it being ethical...it might be as ethical as gazumping. But looking at your profile I can see how this may be a sensitive subject. I am sorry for what you may be going through and hope you come through the storm ok.
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 16.09.2008, 22:36
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Does offering to pay above the pricetag help?

It is something that will cross anyone who is struggling to find a place to live's mind...i was in a 26m2 serviced apartment paying 3200chf a month when i first moved here for 3 months, offering a bribe (or outbidding another interested party) is common sense if you can afford it or are under similar conditions.

Free market and all that, if you use ebay or ricardo, then you are being equally 'morally corrupt' by bidding higher than other users of it for something you want after the user has set an initial price.
Reply With Quote
  #31  
Old 16.09.2008, 23:19
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Ticino
Posts: 2,872
Groaned at 91 Times in 63 Posts
Thanked 3,656 Times in 1,471 Posts
Snoopy has a reputation beyond reputeSnoopy has a reputation beyond reputeSnoopy has a reputation beyond reputeSnoopy has a reputation beyond reputeSnoopy has a reputation beyond reputeSnoopy has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Does offering to pay above the pricetag help?

Quote:
View Post
Free market and all that, if you use ebay or ricardo, then you are being equally 'morally corrupt' by bidding higher than other users of it for something you want after the user has set an initial price.
If you don't see the difference between renting an apartment and using ebay or ricardo....

On ebay and ricardo the rules are clear...highest bidder wins. By offering to pay more on an apartment one would be creating new conditions which most people would be unaware of and therefore unable to participate in. I am almost certain that the person who would try and pull a stunt like this would be one of the first to complain if a landlord said he was auctioning the rental contract and the highest bidder gets the deal. I do hope that you can see where that would lead....or can't you?
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 17.09.2008, 09:17
dino's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Zurich
Posts: 1,663
Groaned at 31 Times in 24 Posts
Thanked 1,279 Times in 628 Posts
dino has a reputation beyond reputedino has a reputation beyond reputedino has a reputation beyond reputedino has a reputation beyond reputedino has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Does offering to pay above the pricetag help?

Quote:
View Post
Sour grapes would assume that I have an axe to grind...which I don't. But that doesn't preclude me from having an opinion, does it? As for it being ethical...it might be as ethical as gazumping. But looking at your profile I can see how this may be a sensitive subject. I am sorry for what you may be going through and hope you come through the storm ok.
I appreciate your sympathetic words, but am not sure about what I am supposed to be going through ...
pray do explain ... I would love to hear about the profound insights you have gained from my profile...

Last edited by dino; 17.09.2008 at 10:41.
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 17.09.2008, 09:37
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Does offering to pay above the pricetag help?

In real life, not snoopy-happyland, the person willing to pay the highest in these situations (all other conditions being equal) wins.

I do hope that you can see that....or can't you?



Quote:
View Post
If you don't see the difference between renting an apartment and using ebay or ricardo....

On ebay and ricardo the rules are clear...highest bidder wins. By offering to pay more on an apartment one would be creating new conditions which most people would be unaware of and therefore unable to participate in. I am almost certain that the person who would try and pull a stunt like this would be one of the first to complain if a landlord said he was auctioning the rental contract and the highest bidder gets the deal. I do hope that you can see where that would lead....or can't you?
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 17.09.2008, 10:44
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Ticino
Posts: 2,872
Groaned at 91 Times in 63 Posts
Thanked 3,656 Times in 1,471 Posts
Snoopy has a reputation beyond reputeSnoopy has a reputation beyond reputeSnoopy has a reputation beyond reputeSnoopy has a reputation beyond reputeSnoopy has a reputation beyond reputeSnoopy has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Does offering to pay above the pricetag help?

Quote:
View Post
In real life, not snoopy-happyland, the person willing to pay the highest in these situations (all other conditions being equal) wins.

I do hope that you can see that....or can't you?
So your take is that landlords should rent their apartments to the highest bidder? I suggest you grow up....
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 17.09.2008, 10:47
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Does offering to pay above the pricetag help?

Some do. I suggest you look at advertisements coyly worded as: "Offers invited over 2.6M". Even if the buyer offers to pay the asking price, an "Invitation to Treat" (in English law) the seller is not compelled to sell it. Special provisions for consumer transactions normally exist.

dave


Quote:
View Post
So your take is that landlords should rent their apartments to the highest bidder? I suggest you grow up....
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 17.09.2008, 10:50
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: zürich
Posts: 3,191
Groaned at 105 Times in 79 Posts
Thanked 3,948 Times in 1,620 Posts
i-b-deborah has a reputation beyond reputei-b-deborah has a reputation beyond reputei-b-deborah has a reputation beyond reputei-b-deborah has a reputation beyond reputei-b-deborah has a reputation beyond reputei-b-deborah has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Does offering to pay above the pricetag help?

Sigh, it's a greed based world, whatcha gunna do about it.
Quote:
View Post
So your take is that landlords should rent their apartments to the highest bidder? I suggest you grow up....
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 17.09.2008, 10:50
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Ticino
Posts: 2,872
Groaned at 91 Times in 63 Posts
Thanked 3,656 Times in 1,471 Posts
Snoopy has a reputation beyond reputeSnoopy has a reputation beyond reputeSnoopy has a reputation beyond reputeSnoopy has a reputation beyond reputeSnoopy has a reputation beyond reputeSnoopy has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Does offering to pay above the pricetag help?

Quote:
View Post
Some do.
dave
I am sure you are right, but it is neither widespread nor a generally accepted practice in the rental market.
Selling real estate is a different kettle of fish.
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 17.09.2008, 10:51
Nathu's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Zürich
Posts: 4,674
Groaned at 18 Times in 16 Posts
Thanked 2,208 Times in 1,248 Posts
Nathu has a reputation beyond reputeNathu has a reputation beyond reputeNathu has a reputation beyond reputeNathu has a reputation beyond reputeNathu has a reputation beyond reputeNathu has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Does offering to pay above the pricetag help?

Quote:
View Post
Sigh, it's a greed based world, whatcha gunna do about it.
Join the renter's association?
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 17.09.2008, 10:52
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Ticino
Posts: 2,872
Groaned at 91 Times in 63 Posts
Thanked 3,656 Times in 1,471 Posts
Snoopy has a reputation beyond reputeSnoopy has a reputation beyond reputeSnoopy has a reputation beyond reputeSnoopy has a reputation beyond reputeSnoopy has a reputation beyond reputeSnoopy has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Does offering to pay above the pricetag help?

Quote:
View Post
Sigh, it's a greed based world, whatcha gunna do about it.
I had a boss who loved to say "What goes around, comes around". He was right...
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 17.09.2008, 11:04
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: zürich
Posts: 3,191
Groaned at 105 Times in 79 Posts
Thanked 3,948 Times in 1,620 Posts
i-b-deborah has a reputation beyond reputei-b-deborah has a reputation beyond reputei-b-deborah has a reputation beyond reputei-b-deborah has a reputation beyond reputei-b-deborah has a reputation beyond reputei-b-deborah has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Does offering to pay above the pricetag help?

Let's hope so.
Quote:
View Post
I had a boss who loved to say "What goes around, comes around". He was right...
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
flat rent bribes




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Useful calculator for finding out how much tax you need to pay on 3rd pillar pay out muze7 Finance/banking/taxation 11 20.01.2012 07:37
Where will I have to pay tax? doudoucatastrophe Finance/banking/taxation 8 26.06.2008 22:46
Nice pay, if you can get it.... Gav Swiss politics/news 7 28.01.2008 00:54
Sick Pay Welshman Employment 0 25.10.2007 14:15
Internship/Right pay? Nixie Employment 19 24.07.2007 15:50


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 22:56.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0