Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Housing in general  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #61  
Old 18.09.2008, 16:34
cyrus's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Emmenbruecke
Posts: 2,898
Groaned at 37 Times in 34 Posts
Thanked 3,414 Times in 1,491 Posts
cyrus has a reputation beyond reputecyrus has a reputation beyond reputecyrus has a reputation beyond reputecyrus has a reputation beyond reputecyrus has a reputation beyond reputecyrus has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Does offering to pay above the pricetag help?

You might not find it a problem, as you can afford it.

You think you have trouble finding a place? If you can pay a little extra, get a flat more to your rent bracket instead of depriving someone who can't afford that little extra, and thought they managed to find somewhere within their budget at last.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank cyrus for this useful post:
  #62  
Old 18.09.2008, 16:41
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Ticino
Posts: 2,871
Groaned at 91 Times in 63 Posts
Thanked 3,654 Times in 1,470 Posts
Snoopy has a reputation beyond reputeSnoopy has a reputation beyond reputeSnoopy has a reputation beyond reputeSnoopy has a reputation beyond reputeSnoopy has a reputation beyond reputeSnoopy has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Does offering to pay above the pricetag help?

Quote:
View Post
Hi Snoopy (Apologies Gooner)

I dont think that that is particularly fair. Were it not for the fact that we have friends in Zurich with properties of their own, we would have strtuggled to find a place to live. Even trying to find a place to buy is nigh on impossible, price not being the issue, but rather the availability of suitable properties.

Offering more than the rent demanded is not morally bankrupt and given that you have never met these people; you are hardly in the position to declare them morally bankrupt.

And it is pointless bemoaning people working for banks; they are not all fat cats. Your comments stink of the policy of envy and do you no favours especially given that you are a so called senior.
Conor, the one point that I will give you absolutely right on is the fact that not all people working for banks are fat cats. Those that behave in the manner that I have criticised are probably a very visible minority. To those who are not fat cats and who behave responsibly I offer my unreserved apologies.

What is the difference between offering to pay more for an apartment in a situation like the one that exists in ZH at the moment and those that bought stuff on the black market during the war? What makes one acceptable and the other not? Money talks...right. And maybe that is why some people are now really up sh*t creek with a broken paddle.

Btw, I have no particular reason to be envious. But that doesn't mean I can't have a strong opinion on the matter. It's too easy to say that because I say what I think I must be envious. That is just too easy a cop out....
Reply With Quote
  #63  
Old 18.09.2008, 17:00
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Does offering to pay above the pricetag help?

Flawed logic here. What is a "rent bracket" ? Values are the results of deals made subject to supply and demand. If someone pays more then that apartment is "worth more" - implying that there is some kind of artifical constraints on price is incorrect.

dave




Quote:
View Post
You might not find it a problem, as you can afford it.

You think you have trouble finding a place? If you can pay a little extra, get a flat more to your rent bracket instead of depriving someone who can't afford that little extra, and thought they managed to find somewhere within their budget at last.
Reply With Quote
  #64  
Old 18.09.2008, 17:02
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Zurich
Posts: 91
Groaned at 4 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 51 Times in 23 Posts
Conor has earned some respectConor has earned some respect
Re: Does offering to pay above the pricetag help?

The fact of the matter is very simple; the rental property in Zurich is preposterous. There are too many people chasing to few properties. Whether this is a result of Zurich becoming a very popular place to live especially for Germans, is anyones guess!

Ultimately, it is the responsibilty of the breadwinner of a household to put a roof over their family's head. Given the hoops, that people have to go through to get a property, it will only be a matter of time before the more unscrupulous use even more dastardly means to secure a property. Suggesting that higher rent is obtainable is not unscrupulous; it is merely pointing out to the landlord that the rent is too low!

Last edited by Conor; 18.09.2008 at 17:12.
Reply With Quote
  #65  
Old 18.09.2008, 17:09
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Does offering to pay above the pricetag help?

Are you drunk ? If you must talk in flowery language at least get the words right... your last sentence is outwageous.

dave


Quote:
View Post
The fact of the matter is very simple; the rental property in Zurich is preposterous. There are too many people chasing to few properties. Wether this is a result of Zurich becoming a very popular place to live especially for Germans, is anyones guess!

Ultimately, it is the responsibilty of the breadwinner of a household to put a roof over their family's head. Given the hoops, that people have to go through to get a property, it will only be a matter of time before the more unscrupulous use even more dastardly means to secure a property. Suggesting that higher rent is abtainable is not unscupulous; it is merely pointing out to the landlord that the rent is too low!
Reply With Quote
  #66  
Old 18.09.2008, 17:12
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Does offering to pay above the pricetag help?

Snoop, there are plenty of properties available in Zurich and its surrounds, sure you may not get the town centre flat you are looking for, but come on, be realistic, if you aren't willing to pay 'over the odds' you never will. There are a plethora of places within 20 or 30 mins of Zurich, that are considerably cheaper and lesser subscribed.
You seem to be expecting that poorer people (or people unwilling to spend as much) should have exactly the same opportunity to get the same flat as someone prepared to pay more. This is very nice in theory, and we'd all love to live in this wonderous dimension of immaterialism, but it is a bonkers concept for Switzerland.
Reply With Quote
  #67  
Old 18.09.2008, 17:12
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Zurich
Posts: 91
Groaned at 4 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 51 Times in 23 Posts
Conor has earned some respectConor has earned some respect
Re: Does offering to pay above the pricetag help?

Bloody spell checker has just been fired!
Reply With Quote
  #68  
Old 18.09.2008, 17:13
cyrus's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Emmenbruecke
Posts: 2,898
Groaned at 37 Times in 34 Posts
Thanked 3,414 Times in 1,491 Posts
cyrus has a reputation beyond reputecyrus has a reputation beyond reputecyrus has a reputation beyond reputecyrus has a reputation beyond reputecyrus has a reputation beyond reputecyrus has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Does offering to pay above the pricetag help?

Yes, all very well and good, free market economics and all that, very nice. But you are pushing up one of the basic costs of living for everyone, which some people find upsetting, or maybe, immoral.
Reply With Quote
  #69  
Old 18.09.2008, 17:16
cyrus's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Emmenbruecke
Posts: 2,898
Groaned at 37 Times in 34 Posts
Thanked 3,414 Times in 1,491 Posts
cyrus has a reputation beyond reputecyrus has a reputation beyond reputecyrus has a reputation beyond reputecyrus has a reputation beyond reputecyrus has a reputation beyond reputecyrus has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Does offering to pay above the pricetag help?

Besides all this, I thought there were controls on rent. I was under the impression landlords weren't allowed to make excessive increases in rent.

Last edited by cyrus; 19.09.2008 at 13:33. Reason: WTF? what am I doing with my 's
Reply With Quote
  #70  
Old 18.09.2008, 17:17
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Zurich
Posts: 91
Groaned at 4 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 51 Times in 23 Posts
Conor has earned some respectConor has earned some respect
Re: Does offering to pay above the pricetag help?

Quote:
View Post
Yes, all very well and good, free market economics and all that, very nice. But you are pushing up one of the basic costs of living for everyone, which some people find upsetting, or maybe, immoral.

Of course it will upset people but it is not immoral

If there are 40 people chasing the same flat and they are all willing to pay the same rent, then something is wrong. It is that simple.
Reply With Quote
  #71  
Old 18.09.2008, 17:19
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Does offering to pay above the pricetag help?

Yeah , I never really understand in a country that claims to have socialist values , has the highest disposable income and standard of living in Europe, and yet people maintain that the swiss "are not interested in money". Maybe its not important unless you don't have any? Were the swiss to return to being a nation of bogtrotters, you may see some change in outlook.

dave


Quote:
View Post
Of course it will upset people but it is not immoral

If there are 40 people chasing the same flat and they are all willing to pay the same rent, then something is wrong. It is that simple.
Reply With Quote
  #72  
Old 18.09.2008, 17:22
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Does offering to pay above the pricetag help?

Who are they imposing the rent increases on, these flats have no tenants, otherwise they wouldn't be up for rent surely?!

Quote:
View Post
Besides all this, I thought they we're controls on rent. I was under the impression landlords weren't allowed to make excessive increases in rent.
Reply With Quote
  #73  
Old 18.09.2008, 17:25
cyrus's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Emmenbruecke
Posts: 2,898
Groaned at 37 Times in 34 Posts
Thanked 3,414 Times in 1,491 Posts
cyrus has a reputation beyond reputecyrus has a reputation beyond reputecyrus has a reputation beyond reputecyrus has a reputation beyond reputecyrus has a reputation beyond reputecyrus has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Does offering to pay above the pricetag help?

Quote:
View Post
Who are they imposing the rent increases on, these flats have no tenants, otherwise they wouldn't be up for rent surely?!
What used to happen to me, the landlord would look at all the properties in the area, see that rent has increased considerably, and look to increase the rent from you.

Families also grow, and need more rooms. Children move out and need a place to live.
Reply With Quote
  #74  
Old 18.09.2008, 17:29
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Zurich
Posts: 91
Groaned at 4 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 51 Times in 23 Posts
Conor has earned some respectConor has earned some respect
Re: Does offering to pay above the pricetag help?

My understanding is, is that rents are regulated by the Gemeinde.

The system is now outdated. Locals and newcomers are getting just as frustrated as the other, as neither can seem to find a property.
Reply With Quote
  #75  
Old 18.09.2008, 17:36
cyrus's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Emmenbruecke
Posts: 2,898
Groaned at 37 Times in 34 Posts
Thanked 3,414 Times in 1,491 Posts
cyrus has a reputation beyond reputecyrus has a reputation beyond reputecyrus has a reputation beyond reputecyrus has a reputation beyond reputecyrus has a reputation beyond reputecyrus has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Does offering to pay above the pricetag help?

Quote:
View Post
My understanding is, is that rents are regulated by the Gemeinde.

The system is now outdated. Locals and newcomers are getting just as frustrated as the other, as neither can seem to find a property.
I imagine there would be many more frustrated people if these controls were removed and everyone suddenly had to pay more for housing.

I'm all for regulation in this sector, I know it appals some, but I see housing as a human neccesity, and needs protection from gouging.
Reply With Quote
  #76  
Old 18.09.2008, 17:40
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Zurich
Posts: 3,466
Groaned at 17 Times in 15 Posts
Thanked 1,992 Times in 1,185 Posts
CH_Me has a reputation beyond reputeCH_Me has a reputation beyond reputeCH_Me has a reputation beyond reputeCH_Me has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Does offering to pay above the pricetag help?

Quote:
View Post
Flawed logic here. What is a "rent bracket" ? Values are the results of deals made subject to supply and demand. If someone pays more then that apartment is "worth more" - implying that there is some kind of artifical constraints on price is incorrect.

dave
Most Swiss spend 30% of their income on rent. Don't be stingy and spend 2,000 a month when you earn 20k plus a month. That's what he means.
Reply With Quote
  #77  
Old 18.09.2008, 17:47
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Does offering to pay above the pricetag help?

Why not ? I don't think there will be many people making their class accommodation choices dependent on the common good, do you ?

dave


Quote:
View Post
Most Swiss spend 30% of their income on rent. Don't be stingy and spend 2,000 a month when you earn 20k plus a month. That's what he means.
Reply With Quote
  #78  
Old 18.09.2008, 18:04
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Zurich
Posts: 3,466
Groaned at 17 Times in 15 Posts
Thanked 1,992 Times in 1,185 Posts
CH_Me has a reputation beyond reputeCH_Me has a reputation beyond reputeCH_Me has a reputation beyond reputeCH_Me has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Does offering to pay above the pricetag help?

Quote:
View Post
Why not ? I don't think there will be many people making their class accommodation choices dependent on the common good, do you ?

dave
I arrived and started looking at and applying for apartments. I saw one at 1,300 a month - wow I though. Then another 300 people also applied. I saw one at 1,600 a month, still the same. I ended up paying 2,600 ppcm. I was told by Livit that places wern't suitable for me because of our income and that we should be paying more. The owners weren't willing to select us as tenants because we could afford to pay more. The reasons being that if we affford a better place, then chances are we will be moving on sooner than others.

My friend was also told my her company what she should be paying per month for rent based on her salary.

So looking at apartments more in line with what you can afford might just increase your chances finding one.

Last edited by CH_Me; 18.09.2008 at 18:13. Reason: Added a bit
Reply With Quote
  #79  
Old 18.09.2008, 18:17
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Does offering to pay above the pricetag help?

And its reasonable for someone "telling you what you should be paying " ?

I don't doubt that they said this, but I am surprised that you didn't make it perfectly clear to them that these are your decisions , not theirs. Are people that submissive to be taken in by this **** ?

Incredible.

dave

Quote:
View Post
I arrived and started looking at and applying for apartments. I saw one at 1,300 a month - wow I though. Then another 300 people also applied. I saw one at 1,600 a month, still the same. I ended up paying 2,600 ppcm. I was told by Livit that places wern't suitable for me because of our income and that we should be paying more. The owners weren't willing to select us as tenants because we could afford to pay more. The reasons being that if we affford a better place, then chances are we will be moving on sooner than others.

My friend was also told my her company what she should be paying per month for rent based on her salary.

So looking at apartments more in line with what you can afford might just increase your chances finding one.
Reply With Quote
  #80  
Old 18.09.2008, 18:35
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Zurich
Posts: 3,466
Groaned at 17 Times in 15 Posts
Thanked 1,992 Times in 1,185 Posts
CH_Me has a reputation beyond reputeCH_Me has a reputation beyond reputeCH_Me has a reputation beyond reputeCH_Me has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Does offering to pay above the pricetag help?

Quote:
View Post
And its reasonable for someone "telling you what you should be paying " ?

I don't doubt that they said this, but I am surprised that you didn't make it perfectly clear to them that these are your decisions , not theirs. Are people that submissive to be taken in by this **** ?

Incredible.

dave
They did me a favour actually. I was wasting my time looking at cheap apartments that I didn't stand a chance of getting. I ended up in a nice place that wasn't too much more.

The 1,300 a month place (3 bedrooms) had dodgy old electrics so you couldn't put on the TV and the stove at the same time according to the current tenant. She was right - I wouldn't have lasted there long, even for the cheap rent.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
flat rent bribes




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Useful calculator for finding out how much tax you need to pay on 3rd pillar pay out muze7 Finance/banking/taxation 11 20.01.2012 07:37
Where will I have to pay tax? doudoucatastrophe Finance/banking/taxation 8 26.06.2008 22:46
Nice pay, if you can get it.... Gav Swiss politics/news 7 28.01.2008 00:54
Sick Pay Welshman Employment 0 25.10.2007 14:15
Internship/Right pay? Nixie Employment 19 24.07.2007 15:50


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 07:11.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0