English Forum Switzerland

English Forum Switzerland (https://www.englishforum.ch/forum.php)
-   Housing in general (https://www.englishforum.ch/housing-general/)
-   -   Apartment Searching--Realtor fees, etc. (https://www.englishforum.ch/housing-general/3595-apartment-searching-realtor-fees-etc.html)

new2luzern 27.01.2007 22:15

Apartment Searching--Realtor fees, etc.
 
I'm starting to look at apartments in Luzern and because I am still in the US, am looking only online. Right now I am primarily using homegate.ch and immoscout24.ch. What are reasonable rents for a 1-2 bedroom (which is considered a 2-3 Zimmer, right?)? I've budgeted for around 1800-1900 CHF.

Also, what is the protocol for realtor fees, if any. Here in Boston, if you use a realtor use generally expect to pay 12% of your yearly rent. If these fees do exist in CH, is there a fee-free way of finding apartments?

Finally, of course, if anyone has a wonderful apartment available or knows of one, please send me a PM.

THanks again!

Lob 29.01.2007 09:26

Re: Apartment Searching--Realtor fees, etc.
 
you're unlikely to pay those fees. What you see is what you pay (but do take into account that the prices should include "Nebenkosten" (shared costs for communal areas, some heating, lighting and probably cable tv basic costs.

ron_buell 03.02.2007 21:24

Re: Apartment Searching--Realtor fees, etc.
 
Glad to hear another Bostonian is making the journey over here. Welcome. I will be working in Luzern myself, but probably living in Zug.

I can't help you with the rental search as I am in the same boat (though I have been here for two weeks in Zurich already). But drop a line if you want to rehash old Boston fables.

-Ron

spmull06 03.02.2007 21:47

Re: Apartment Searching--Realtor fees, etc.
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by ron_buell
Glad to hear another Bostonian is making the journey over here. Welcome. I will be working in Luzern myself, but probably living in Zug.

I can't help you with the rental search as I am in the same boat (though I have been here for two weeks in Zurich already). But drop a line if you want to rehash old Boston fables.

-Ron

People from Massachusetts? Wicked...

As to apartments, I don't think you'll have to spend that much. We're not really talking about Beacon Hill here. If you live outside of a Zürich itself you can typically find a range of apartments from 1000 CHF to 1500 a month in terms of the size specified. Luzern is no different. Of course there are more expensive ones if you want to spend more money. They typically say that the quality does increase with the cost, unlike back in the States where it is often the location that improves more substantially. You just need to decide, for example, what type of neighborhood you want to live in, what public transit connections it has, its proximity to grocery stores and so forth.

Also, I've never heard of these fees here. I am in the middle of my own apartment search as well. As Lob said, you'll pay Nebenkosten, the size of which depends upon the apartment and the amount of services covered.

Richard 04.02.2007 00:44

Re: Apartment Searching--Realtor fees, etc.
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by new2luzern
I'm starting to look at apartments in Luzern and because I am still in the US, am looking only online. Right now I am primarily using homegate.ch and immoscout24.ch. What are reasonable rents for a 1-2 bedroom (which is considered a 2-3 Zimmer, right?)? I've budgeted for around 1800-1900 CHF.

Also, what is the protocol for realtor fees, if any. Here in Boston, if you use a realtor use generally expect to pay 12% of your yearly rent. If these fees do exist in CH, is there a fee-free way of finding apartments?

Finally, of course, if anyone has a wonderful apartment available or knows of one, please send me a PM.

THanks again!

Although you will be fee-free over here you do need to budget 3 months rent as a deposit so be warned...

eireann 12.03.2007 00:04

Re: Apartment Searching--Realtor fees, etc.
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Richard (Post 34045)
Although you will be fee-free over here you do need to budget 3 months rent as a deposit so be warned...

Sorry, can I ask for a clarification - if you search for accommodation through a realtor you have no fee to pay? You just pay your deposit?

Richard 12.03.2007 06:29

Re: Apartment Searching--Realtor fees, etc.
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by eireann (Post 42169)
Sorry, can I ask for a clarification - if you search for accommodation through a realtor you have no fee to pay? You just pay your deposit?

If you ask a realtor to find you an apartment meeting specific needs from any realtor including himself then you will pay for the service but generally realtors don't do this. You have some relocation agencies that will. However, if you go and check with immopool.ch or homegate.ch and also Remax (the realtors) you have covered pretty well all your bases.

cyrus 12.03.2007 10:25

Re: Apartment Searching--Realtor fees, etc.
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by new2luzern (Post 32708)
I'm starting to look at apartments in Luzern and because I am still in the US, am looking only online. Right now I am primarily using homegate.ch and immoscout24.ch. What are reasonable rents for a 1-2 bedroom (which is considered a 2-3 Zimmer, right?)? I've budgeted for around 1800-1900 CHF.

Also, what is the protocol for realtor fees, if any. Here in Boston, if you use a realtor use generally expect to pay 12% of your yearly rent. If these fees do exist in CH, is there a fee-free way of finding apartments?

Finally, of course, if anyone has a wonderful apartment available or knows of one, please send me a PM.

THanks again!

Still looking? I found my appartment through the local online portal, http://www.goodday.ch , It has more ads for the Luzern area than Homegate, and some cheaper ones. I had to get help from work to phone up the landlords though, as many of them spoke german only. And as a lot don't have pics, you need to visit in person. After only 4 viewings, I was already torn between 2 excellent flats

1-2 bedroom (actually classed as 2-3 rooms +.5 for a combined living room dining room) at that budget could get you a nice place in the city centre of Luzern, but you could spend less and live a little further out.


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 23:03.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0