English Forum Switzerland

English Forum Switzerland (https://www.englishforum.ch/forum.php)
-   Housing in general (https://www.englishforum.ch/housing-general/)
-   -   EEK my kitchen ceiling fell down over the weekend (https://www.englishforum.ch/housing-general/46651-eek-my-kitchen-ceiling-fell-down-over-weekend.html)

Sutter 16.03.2009 12:04

EEK my kitchen ceiling fell down over the weekend
 
Our kitchen ceiling fell down:msnshock: luckily no one was in the kitchen at the time. A man as just been to have a look, and i will have no kitchen for a few days:eek:, they have to pull the rest of it off, and plaster it all then we have to wait a few days until it drys then it can be painted. I have planned a big birthday party for my daughter on sunday so i am hoping i will have my kitchen back, does anyone think this will be possible.

As anyone else had this kind of experience:msnsad:

Now i am wondering if my good friends will invite us for dinner:msntongue:

cannut 16.03.2009 12:08

Re: EEK my kitchen ceiling fell down over the weekend
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sutter (Post 419353)
Our kitchen ceiling fell down:msnshock: luckily no one was in the kitchen at the time. A man as just been to have a look, and i will have no kitchen for a few days:eek:, they have to pull the rest of it off, and plaster it all then we have to wait a few days until it drys then it can be painted. I have planned a big birthday party for my daughter on sunday so i am hoping i will have my kitchen back, does anyone think this will be possible.

As anyone else had this kind of experience:msnsad:

Now i am wondering if my good friends will invite us for dinner:msntongue:

there is allways Mcdonald :msnnerd:

Sutter 16.03.2009 12:13

Re: EEK my kitchen ceiling fell down over the weekend
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by cannut (Post 419357)
there is allways Mcdonald :msnnerd:

After all my hardwork in the Gym i don`t think so:eek: :p

jrspet 16.03.2009 12:16

Re: EEK my kitchen ceiling fell down over the weekend
 
So, all dinner invites to your place are off ??

cannut 16.03.2009 12:16

Re: EEK my kitchen ceiling fell down over the weekend
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sutter (Post 419361)
After all my hardwork in the Gym i don`t think so:eek: :p

Then walk there and back home:rolleyes::p

Sutter 16.03.2009 12:19

Re: EEK my kitchen ceiling fell down over the weekend
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by jrspet (Post 419364)
So, all dinner invites to your place are off ??

At the moment no until they start the work, then afterwards will be back on again;)

Sutter 16.03.2009 12:20

Re: EEK my kitchen ceiling fell down over the weekend
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by cannut (Post 419365)
Then walk there and back home:rolleyes::p

No time the kids only have a short lunch break and have to walk to KG and school:p.

Macs also don`t serve breakfast here:msnsad:

Worrelpa 16.03.2009 12:20

Re: EEK my kitchen ceiling fell down over the weekend
 
Sorry to hear that Sutter.

Is it my imagination or are you one of the unluckiest people in Switzerland?

Hope the mess gets cleared soon. I'm sure you won't starve.

Sutter 16.03.2009 12:22

Re: EEK my kitchen ceiling fell down over the weekend
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Worrelpa (Post 419371)
Sorry to hear that Sutter.

Is it my imagination or are you one of the unluckiest people in Switzerland?

Hope the mess gets cleared soon. I'm sure you won't starve.

Yes i think i am:msnsad: everything seems to happen to me:eek:

Thanks i am dreading the mess when they start work a neighbour told me she had a similiar problem in her lounge and the dust was everywhere, maybe i will have a cleaning party, with Chocolate Mousse to serve as thanks:D

Jekyll 16.03.2009 13:00

Re: EEK my kitchen ceiling fell down over the weekend
 
Doesn't this belong on the "Sutter's bizzare household appliance tales of woe" thread? It's not exactly housing-related in a way that could be of use to anyone else is it?

Cheers

Jekyll

Sutter 16.03.2009 13:02

Re: EEK my kitchen ceiling fell down over the weekend
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jekyll (Post 419406)
Doesn't this belong on the "Sutter's bizzare household appliance tales of woe" thread? It's not exactly housing-related in a way that could be of use to anyone else is it?

Cheers

Jekyll

I was told to put it here by a Mod, i pmd them asking where to put it before i started the thread here;)

argus 16.03.2009 13:04

Re: EEK my kitchen ceiling fell down over the weekend
 
Well, at least I know that it does happen in Swiss kitchens and if it ever happens to me (touch wood!), my kitchen would be out of commission for several days and we'd have a reason to eat out all the time. ;)

Castro 16.03.2009 13:16

Re: EEK my kitchen ceiling fell down over the weekend
 
Wasn't your Dell laptop on the kitchen table when the roof fell in, smashing it to smithereens? ;);)

Sutter 16.03.2009 13:18

Re: EEK my kitchen ceiling fell down over the weekend
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Castro (Post 419419)
Wasn't your Dell laptop on the kitchen table when the roof fell in, smashing it to smithereens ;);)

Thanks brilliant idea why didn`t i think of that would the insurance have to pay for it? I still have all the plaster in bags outside so i could make it look like it fell on the laptop:D

Owl and Pussycat 16.03.2009 13:20

Re: EEK my kitchen ceiling fell down over the weekend
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by cannut (Post 419357)
there is allways Mcdonald :msnnerd:

Can farmers fix ceilings quickly then? :D

cannut 16.03.2009 15:03

Re: EEK my kitchen ceiling fell down over the weekend
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Owl and Pussycat (Post 419422)
Can farmers fix ceilings quickly then? :D

Again: Don`t underestimat a farmer :rolleyes::p:)

Sutter 17.03.2009 09:53

Re: EEK my kitchen ceiling fell down over the weekend
 
Up date 2 men came this morning to have another look and will come back tomorrow to start taking the rest of the ceiling down i have to take everything out of the kitchen table chairs micro, pictures well EVERYTHING, èven my light (well they will take that down, so i will have no light in my kitchen until next week:eek:) so it looks like we will be eating out for the next few days:msntongue: MacDonalds here we come:p

Sutter 17.03.2009 10:05

Re: EEK my kitchen ceiling fell down over the weekend
 
i tried uploading some photo`s but i couldn`t:confused::o, if someone could for me that would be great i can email them to you so you could put them on here:D

jacek 17.03.2009 10:12

Re: EEK my kitchen ceiling fell down over the weekend
 
Hey Sutter, sorry to hear about another calamity in your house hold...

Luckily it is getting warmer these days and hopefully you can dine outside ;)

Have you tried opening free photo account at e.g. http://photobucket.com/ yet? There you can upload a photo album and give a link to your URL with any photo that you would like to be displayed on the EF.

BTW: You can resize your photos and put in form of attachments on the EF. Unfortunately I am running out of my storage space on the EF so I cannot help in here :(

Sutter 17.03.2009 10:55

Re: EEK my kitchen ceiling fell down over the weekend
 
Here are some photo`s:eek: sorry i don`t know if i have done this right, or not:o http://s294.photobucket.com/albums/m...view=slideshow

jacek 17.03.2009 11:02

Re: EEK my kitchen ceiling fell down over the weekend
 
Holly sh.t! It looks like they will have to scrape the plaster all the way to the seams and put the new one. I dont think patching up will do the job as the rest of the ceiling may start peeling off again and eventually it would also fall down :( I would say few days work including drying it out...

BTW: Did you have any short circuit related explosion in the past (just looking at the lamps)?

Sutter 17.03.2009 11:18

Re: EEK my kitchen ceiling fell down over the weekend
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by jacek (Post 420022)
Holly sh.t! It looks like they will have to scrape the plaster all the way to the seams and put the new one. I dont think patching up will do the job as the rest of the ceiling may start peeling off again and eventually it would also fall down :( I would say few days work including drying it out...

BTW: Did you have any short circuit related explosion in the past (just looking at the lamps)?

I know no kitchen for me until next week:msnmad: we are having a big party for my daughter on sunday aswell grrrrrrrrr ok i guess it will be a talking point:p. they have to take the rest of the ceiling down and replaster it all, just glad no one was in the kitchen.

LOL that made me pee thanks for cheering me up:msntongue: who knows with me probably anything can happen. I am shocked the whole flats not blown up by now:eek::p

jacek 17.03.2009 11:27

Re: EEK my kitchen ceiling fell down over the weekend
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sutter (Post 420031)
I know no kitchen for me until next week:msnmad: we are having a big party for my daughter on sunday aswell grrrrrrrrr ok i guess it will be a talking point:p. they have to take the rest of the ceiling down and replaster it all, just glad no one was in the kitchen.

LOL that made me pee thanks for cheering me up:msntongue: who knows with me probably anything can happen. I am shocked the whole flats not blown up by now:eek::p

... and it all started from a little DELL power supply unit... :D

Sutter 17.03.2009 11:40

Re: EEK my kitchen ceiling fell down over the weekend
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by jacek (Post 420040)
... and it all started from a little DELL power supply unit... :D

LOL anything could happen when i am around, but yes let`s blame the bleep Laptop:p

raincookie 17.03.2009 11:57

Re: EEK my kitchen ceiling fell down over the weekend
 
Poor Mrs Sutter - you're even more unlucky than me...:(

Do you remember "Unlucky Alf"?? Was it "The Fast Show" :confused:

cannut 17.03.2009 17:38

Re: EEK my kitchen ceiling fell down over the weekend
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by jacek (Post 420022)
Holly sh.t! It looks like they will have to scrape the plaster all the way to the seams and put the new one. I dont think patching up will do the job as the rest of the ceiling may start peeling off again and eventually it would also fall down :( I would say few days work including drying it out...

BTW: Did you have any short circuit related explosion in the past (just looking at the lamps)?

looks like the lightbulb are to big (Watts 100 watt ) :msnsarcastic:

cannut 17.03.2009 17:42

Re: EEK my kitchen ceiling fell down over the weekend
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sutter (Post 420053)
LOL anything could happen when i am around, but yes let`s blame the bleep Laptop:p

smille ,my wife blames me for everything ,and I am not allowed on top off her lap :D

Deep Purple 17.03.2009 21:49

Re: EEK my kitchen ceiling fell down over the weekend
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by raincookie (Post 420067)
Poor Mrs Sutter - you're even more unlucky than me...:(

Do you remember "Unlucky Alf"?? Was it "The Fast Show" :confused:

Something like this? :D



The ceiling will need to be stripped back to completely sound areas. That may mean the whole ceiling. It should easily be done inside one day. I had three rooms plastered in under four hours including preparation and clearing up

Papa Goose 18.03.2009 00:22

Re: EEK my kitchen ceiling fell down over the weekend
 
Looking at that I reckon you could strip the rest of that in a couple of hours, then you are just be paying for the guys to plaster.... the saving would probably pay for your daughters party.... but with your luck full saftey harness, and hard hat would be required:eek:

Deep Purple 18.03.2009 00:48

Re: EEK my kitchen ceiling fell down over the weekend
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Papa Goose (Post 420642)
Looking at that I reckon you could strip the rest of that in a couple of hours, then you's just be paying for the guys to plaster.... the saving would probably pay for your daughters party.... but with your luck full saftey harness, and hard hat would be required:eek:

Certainly a simple enough job to strip off the loose plaster:
Clear the kitchen and, preferably, cover surfaces with dust sheets.
Scrape off the loose plaster. Use a good step ladder and wear goggles.

Hardest part of the job: find some way to get rid of the plaster that complies with all the regulations :confused:

Sutter 18.03.2009 09:34

Re: EEK my kitchen ceiling fell down over the weekend
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Papa Goose (Post 420642)
Looking at that I reckon you could strip the rest of that in a couple of hours, then you are just be paying for the guys to plaster.... the saving would probably pay for your daughters party.... but with your luck full saftey harness, and hard hat would be required:eek:

I am not paying for the men to do it as the flat is rented;) and well LOL if i did try and do it i dread to think what would happen:o

Sutter 18.03.2009 09:36

Re: EEK my kitchen ceiling fell down over the weekend
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by raincookie (Post 420067)
Poor Mrs Sutter - you're even more unlucky than me...:(

Do you remember "Unlucky Alf"?? Was it "The Fast Show" :confused:

I think i must be the most unluckiest person on this bloody planet:eek:

Sutter 18.03.2009 09:38

Re: EEK my kitchen ceiling fell down over the weekend
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Deep Purple (Post 420653)
Certainly a simple enough job to strip off the loose plaster:
Clear the kitchen and, preferably, cover surfaces with dust sheets.
Scrape off the loose plaster. Use a good step ladder and wear goggles.

Hardest part of the job: find some way to get rid of the plaster that complies with all the regulations :confused:

Thanks Kitchen is cleared and to tell you the truth it is flippin awful when you talk in it it echos and feels really horrible:(. My lounge looks terrible aswell as everything as been dumped in it:eek:

jacek 18.03.2009 09:42

Re: EEK my kitchen ceiling fell down over the weekend
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sutter (Post 420791)
Thanks Kitchen is cleared and to tell you the truth it is flippin awful when you talk in it it echos and feels really horrible:(. My lounge looks terrible aswell as everything as been dumped in it:eek:

Strip it all :D

Sutter 18.03.2009 09:48

Re: EEK my kitchen ceiling fell down over the weekend
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by jacek (Post 420798)
Strip it all :D

LOL you never fail to make me laugh thanks, does anyone have any dinamite i feel like blowing the place up:p

Sutter 18.03.2009 14:59

Re: EEK my kitchen ceiling fell down over the weekend
 
**** **** ****, the man as just finished pulling my ceiling down and told me i am not allowed in the kitchen so now i have a big problem, my mother-in-law is coming over tonight to babysit the kids and bringing food with her which she can warm up in the micro (which is currently sitting on my lounge floor:eek:), but i have no plates, cups folks, spoons e.t.c:o, and what the hell do i do for breakfast:confused:

jacek 18.03.2009 15:05

Re: EEK my kitchen ceiling fell down over the weekend
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sutter (Post 421120)
**** **** ****, the man as just finished pulling my ceiling down and told me i am not allowed in the kitchen so now i have a big problem, my mother-in-law is coming over tonight to babysit the kids and bringing food with her which she can warm up in the micro (which is currently sitting on my lounge floor:eek:), but i have no plates, cups folks, spoons e.t.c:o, and what the hell do i do for breakfast:confused:

Not allowed in the kitchen even to access fridge and cupboards with plates/cutlery???

I thought they worked on the ceiling and not on the floor???

Keith66 18.03.2009 15:23

Re: EEK my kitchen ceiling fell down over the weekend
 
Sorry to hear that Sutter. They should be able to get your kitchen back the following day, ok without paint! but plaster dries in about 12 hours then needs to be left before painting!

Sutter 18.03.2009 15:26

Re: EEK my kitchen ceiling fell down over the weekend
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by jacek (Post 421127)
Not allowed in the kitchen even to access fridge and cupboards with plates/cutlery???

I thought they worked on the ceiling and not on the floor???

No grrrrrrrrrrrrrr:eek:

They have covered the whole kitchen in plastic looks something like out of a horror movie when there is a virus and people have been infected have to go in:msnshock: i had to wash my dinner plates in the sink bathroom:eek:, then when i went to put them on the side to dry them they fell off and smashed on the floor:eek::o

Sutter 18.03.2009 15:28

Re: EEK my kitchen ceiling fell down over the weekend
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Keith66 (Post 421151)
Sorry to hear that Sutter. They should be able to get your kitchen back the following day, ok without paint! but plaster dries in about 12 hours then needs to be left before painting!

Thanks tomorrow night i can have it back, then next week they will come back and paint it;), my son just came and told me he his hungry and i have nothing to give him:(, the man is still here cleaning up so i can`t go out and buy him anything:(


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 09:05.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0