Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Housing in general  
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21.08.2009, 19:19
caz's Avatar
caz caz is offline
Senior Member
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Tuggen SZ
Posts: 253
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 241 Times in 100 Posts
caz has an excellent reputationcaz has an excellent reputationcaz has an excellent reputationcaz has an excellent reputation
moving kanton lots of questions

Hi All

We are moving soon to the neighbouring kanton Schwyz )

does anyone have a checklist of things to do prior to moving - notices to give etc?
I have spoken to my local Gemeinde and am happy that I need to deregister with them and that will handle the school also - have spoken directly to the teacher and am finalising dates with her after I speak with the new Gemeinde and hopefully schulsecretariat/ new teacher on Monday.
We have given written notice on the apartment and adverts duly placed (just in case anyone missed it see horgen 5.5 available posting by me in July)

Hubby will speak to the phone and internet people
I presume the strassenverkehrsamt will advise re the car

Do I need to speak to the Billag?
Do I need to speak to the electricity people or is that connected to the apartment?

What is the redirection notice for the post office called?

have I completely missed anything??

any advice gratefully received


Caz currently in Horgen
Reply With Quote
Old 09.01.2010, 11:59
philh's Avatar
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Altendorf SZ
Posts: 129
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 23 Times in 17 Posts
philh has no particular reputation at present
Re: moving kanton lots of questions

Hi I guess you're long since moved now, but we're potentially moving soon so i'm asking the same questions.

I did find a checklist, which seems to fit the CH way:

Before moving
Sign a new tenancy agreement (or a sales contract) and cancel the old one before the due date.
Arrange for a day off work. You are entitled to at least one day for moving house.
For long-distance moves you may in some cases be given more time off.Notify your previous commune of residence in due time of your departure- find out beforehand from the Residents' Registration Office, if you need to drop by in person to notify your departure.
Notify the responsible Head of Section (for military service), civilian service office (for civilian service) or civil protection office (for civil protection) of your previous commune of residence.
Notify the road traffic office (if you are moving to another canton, notify the road traffic office of your new canton of residence).
Contact the teachers and the school authorities, if you have school-age children.Notify your previous post office of your address change (mail redirection request).
Notify the communal or city public utilities company of your previous and new place of residence (meter reading of gas, electricity and water).Notify your phone company of your move (registration and cancellation of your fixed network, Internet and digital TV connection).
Notify Billag of your move (radio and telephone connection).

On moving day
Fill in an inspection form for returning an apartment with the landlord (or owner) of the old apartment.
Fill in an apartment entrance inspection form with the landlord of the new apartment (or seller) of the new apartment.
Return all keys and get a receipt for them.

After the move
Register with your new commune's Residents' Registration Office within the appropriate time limit, which is generally 8 days (the Residents' Registration Office will forward the information to the relevant tax authorities).
Notify the responsible Head of Section (for military service), civilian service office (for civilian service) or civil protection office (for civil protection) of your new commune of residence about your move

Hope this helps.

Best regards,

Reply With Quote
Old 30.11.2012, 22:12
msolis's Avatar
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Fällanden
Posts: 234
Groaned at 3 Times in 3 Posts
Thanked 173 Times in 61 Posts
msolis has slipped a little
Re: moving kanton lots of questions

Couldn't find an answer for this one, so I will ask here. If I move Kanton before I complete 5 years, could I still request the C permit when I complete 5 years in Switzerland? I'm not EU, but my wife is EU citizen. Thanks
Reply With Quote

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Tax Status upon moving Kanton Shove Finance/banking/taxation 15 12.10.2010 09:02
Moving sale. Lots of cheese, tea and other tasty goodies going cheap (Thalwil, ZH) grumpygrapefruit Commercial 16 21.08.2009 10:42
considering moving to Zurich- lots of questions! beforesunrise Family matters/health 4 08.07.2008 09:56

All times are GMT +2. The time now is 08:00.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0