Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Housing in general  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21  
Old 16.09.2009, 12:47
nigelr's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Aargau
Posts: 1,709
Groaned at 117 Times in 58 Posts
Thanked 2,136 Times in 940 Posts
nigelr has a reputation beyond reputenigelr has a reputation beyond reputenigelr has a reputation beyond reputenigelr has a reputation beyond reputenigelr has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Leaving Apartment Early - incoming tenant had a heart attack!

My understanding is that you only have to propose one tenant who is capable of taking over the contract. If that person does not take over the contract because of the agent/landlord then you are in the clear.

As an agreement was reached between agent and incoming tenant (although nothing signed) this should still put you in the clear.

The problem is between the new tenant and the agent.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 16.09.2009, 13:52
kri's Avatar
kri kri is offline
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Singapore
Posts: 1,048
Groaned at 9 Times in 9 Posts
Thanked 662 Times in 374 Posts
kri has a reputation beyond reputekri has a reputation beyond reputekri has a reputation beyond reputekri has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Leaving Apartment Early - incoming tenant had a heart attack!

Quote:
View Post
My understanding is that you only have to propose one tenant who is capable of taking over the contract. If that person does not take over the contract because of the agent/landlord then you are in the clear.

As an agreement was reached between agent and incoming tenant (although nothing signed) this should still put you in the clear.

The problem is between the new tenant and the agent.
You are meant to propose a tenant who takes over your ocntract at same conditions etc This is meant to no one has damage due to you leaving early.
If the agency refuses this person than you are in the clear.
If this person refuses the contract then you are not in the clear, unless reason for refusal is, for example, raising the rent.

In this case, OP would need to prove that the regie intentionally delayed signing the contract with fake arguments to prove that it is their fault, which IMHO would not work.

K
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 16.09.2009, 14:03
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Aargau
Posts: 2,820
Groaned at 88 Times in 60 Posts
Thanked 3,576 Times in 1,432 Posts
Snoopy has a reputation beyond reputeSnoopy has a reputation beyond reputeSnoopy has a reputation beyond reputeSnoopy has a reputation beyond reputeSnoopy has a reputation beyond reputeSnoopy has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Leaving Apartment Early - incoming tenant had a heart attack!

Quote:
View Post
You are meant to propose a tenant who takes over your ocntract at same conditions etc This is meant to no one has damage due to you leaving early.
If the agency refuses this person than you are in the clear.
If this person refuses the contract then you are not in the clear, unless reason for refusal is, for example, raising the rent.

In this case, OP would need to prove that the regie intentionally delayed signing the contract with fake arguments to prove that it is their fault, which IMHO would not work.

K
k, that is not altogether true. You have to propose candidates that are acceptable as far as how solvent they are, etc. The agency must have a good reason to turn someone down, but they are able to do so nevertheless.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 16.09.2009, 14:35
kri's Avatar
kri kri is offline
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Singapore
Posts: 1,048
Groaned at 9 Times in 9 Posts
Thanked 662 Times in 374 Posts
kri has a reputation beyond reputekri has a reputation beyond reputekri has a reputation beyond reputekri has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Leaving Apartment Early - incoming tenant had a heart attack!

Quote:
View Post
k, that is not altogether true. You have to propose candidates that are acceptable as far as how solvent they are, etc. The agency must have a good reason to turn someone down, but they are able to do so nevertheless.
what qualifies for you as a good reason?
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 16.09.2009, 17:20
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Aargau
Posts: 2,820
Groaned at 88 Times in 60 Posts
Thanked 3,576 Times in 1,432 Posts
Snoopy has a reputation beyond reputeSnoopy has a reputation beyond reputeSnoopy has a reputation beyond reputeSnoopy has a reputation beyond reputeSnoopy has a reputation beyond reputeSnoopy has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Leaving Apartment Early - incoming tenant had a heart attack!

Quote:
View Post
what qualifies for you as a good reason?
It's not really my opinion that counts, but....

I would consider the following to be reasonable:

- Bad references from previous landlords
- Bad credit check (Betreibungsauskunft)
- Too many people expecting to live in too small an apartment/house

These are just some off the top of my head, there are probably more.
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 16.09.2009, 17:45
kri's Avatar
kri kri is offline
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Singapore
Posts: 1,048
Groaned at 9 Times in 9 Posts
Thanked 662 Times in 374 Posts
kri has a reputation beyond reputekri has a reputation beyond reputekri has a reputation beyond reputekri has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Leaving Apartment Early - incoming tenant had a heart attack!

Quote:
View Post
It's not really my opinion that counts, but....

I would consider the following to be reasonable:

- Bad references from previous landlords
- Bad credit check (Betreibungsauskunft)
- Too many people expecting to live in too small an apartment/house

These are just some off the top of my head, there are probably more.
Sure! Just wanted to understand what you were referring to

IMHO if they are turned down for the reasons you mention, indeed than you could still be liable. But if the tenant(s) you propose meet the general good criterias and they decide to turn down, for example, because of L permit, then it is their issue

Anyway, hope the OP can find a solution
K
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 16.09.2009, 18:21
irinastaxen's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Vevey
Posts: 299
Groaned at 6 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 166 Times in 92 Posts
irinastaxen is considered knowledgeableirinastaxen is considered knowledgeableirinastaxen is considered knowledgeable
Re: Leaving Apartment Early - incoming tenant had a heart attack!

Quote:
View Post
We put an ad under a box number in the Tages Anzeiger, then handed the 70 replies to the landlord...
Please don't groan at me
I really don't see the problem here.
Apartments are in short supply in Vevey.
We put one up for rent on a Tuesday and had signed a contract on the Friday the same week.

For Vaud, I have heard that if you can propose 3 new people who want the apartment then you are off the hook regardless if a contract is signed or not.

--Irina.
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 16.09.2009, 18:28
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Aargau
Posts: 2,820
Groaned at 88 Times in 60 Posts
Thanked 3,576 Times in 1,432 Posts
Snoopy has a reputation beyond reputeSnoopy has a reputation beyond reputeSnoopy has a reputation beyond reputeSnoopy has a reputation beyond reputeSnoopy has a reputation beyond reputeSnoopy has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Leaving Apartment Early - incoming tenant had a heart attack!

Given the discussion about what is considered a reason for a candidate tenant to be rejected by a landlord, I did a little sleuthing (aka googling) and came up with the following document which, despite being in German (unfortunately), gives a really good overview of the kind of criteria that would be available to a landlord to reject a potential follow-on tenant. I have attached it as a pdf below.

It is interesting that whilst race, nationality and religion are not reasons, there are many other reasons which I would not necessarily have thought of immediately. A landlord could reject a musician or music teacher in a quiet building for example or could reject a group of three younger people wanting to share in a building inhabited mainly by older people, etc. So, whilst the landlord does have to have good reasons and they cannot be totally off the wall, the landlord certainly has some wriggle room too.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Auszug.pdf (83.2 KB, 8503 views)
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 16.09.2009, 18:29
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Aargau
Posts: 2,820
Groaned at 88 Times in 60 Posts
Thanked 3,576 Times in 1,432 Posts
Snoopy has a reputation beyond reputeSnoopy has a reputation beyond reputeSnoopy has a reputation beyond reputeSnoopy has a reputation beyond reputeSnoopy has a reputation beyond reputeSnoopy has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Leaving Apartment Early - incoming tenant had a heart attack!

Quote:
View Post
For Vaud, I have heard that if you can propose 3 new people who want the apartment then you are off the hook regardless if a contract is signed or not.
And, unfortunately, it is a myth.... If none of the 3 candidates are reasonable then you remain firmly on the hook...
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
apartment, leaving




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
[Leaving Early] Who should advertise apartment, tenant or landlord muze7 Housing in general 13 30.10.2011 23:51
Getting a replacement tenant when leaving early jjoensuu Housing in general 6 07.10.2008 22:45


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 04:18.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0