Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Housing in general  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 15.01.2010, 10:59
psychodelicate's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Zurich
Posts: 203
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 74 Times in 41 Posts
psychodelicate has earned some respectpsychodelicate has earned some respect
noise complaints, again

Ok, now I can't stand it anymore. My neighbor is always complaining about the noise. If we just walk, at any time, he bumps on the ceiling. My son is scared.
We wrote a letter to our location agency, they checked with our other neighbors, and everybody agreed that the complaining neighbor is a pain in the *** for everybody. Washing machine, cellar, parking: he's mobbing everybody for a reason or another.
Now, ten minutes ago, I was simply doing breakfast with my son. We were sitting. My son just stood up and went to the kitchen, and my neighbor bumped. AT 9,45 in the morning, when I am allowed to at least walk in my house. I bumped back. And now "Heros" by David Bowie (just the first cd I had at hand) is playing loud in my stereo.
Maybe I'm passing to the wrong side. But I would like to let him know what "loud noise" is. I have some Rammstein cds also.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 15.01.2010, 11:01
lost_inbroad's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Town or region
Posts: 11,491
Groaned at 655 Times in 417 Posts
Thanked 16,388 Times in 6,379 Posts
lost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond repute
Re: noise complaints, again

Quote:
View Post
ok, now i can't stand it anymore. My neighbor is always complaining about the noise. If we just walk, at any time, he bumps on the ceiling. My son is scared.
We wrote a letter to our location agency, they checked with our other neighbors, and everybody agreed that the complaining neighbor is a pain in the *** for everybody. Washing machine, cellar, parking: He's mobbing everybody for a reason or another.
Now, ten minutes ago, i was simply doing breakfast with my son. We were sitting. My son just stood up and went to the kitchen, and my neighbor bumped. At 9,45 in the morning, when i am allowed to at least walk in my house. I bumped back. And now "heros" by david bowie (just the first cd i had at hand) is playing loud in my stereo.
Maybe i'm passing to the wrong side. But i would like to let him know what "loud noise" is. I have some rammstein cds also.
play that rammstein!!!!!!!
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank lost_inbroad for this useful post:
  #3  
Old 15.01.2010, 11:09
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: zurich
Posts: 23
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
subh_04 has no particular reputation at present
Re: noise complaints, again

I am also facing the same problem,but not as serious as yours,i mean my neighbours never bang on my door or like this but yes one oldie living near by and one below my floor,whenever they are having problem they talk to me directly.I bought rugs and carpets so that it makes less noise but its not much helpful because my daughter is 2 year old and its really hard to control her every time,and when you say ''no,don't do this,stop'' kids love to do again n again :-)
I thing ask him or her directly what is the exact problem,it will be good you n you child otherwise he feel scared in his own house.
gud luck.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 15.01.2010, 11:10
Carlos R's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Roundn'about Basel
Posts: 7,231
Groaned at 105 Times in 95 Posts
Thanked 9,934 Times in 4,178 Posts
Carlos R has a reputation beyond reputeCarlos R has a reputation beyond reputeCarlos R has a reputation beyond reputeCarlos R has a reputation beyond reputeCarlos R has a reputation beyond reputeCarlos R has a reputation beyond repute
Re: noise complaints, again

Quote:
View Post
play that rammstein!!!!!!!
Agreed.

This message is too short
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 15.01.2010, 11:14
SemAms's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: im Ausland
Posts: 305
Groaned at 3 Times in 3 Posts
Thanked 415 Times in 228 Posts
SemAms has an excellent reputationSemAms has an excellent reputationSemAms has an excellent reputationSemAms has an excellent reputation
Re: noise complaints, again

Quote:
View Post
I am also facing the same problem,but not as serious as yours,i mean my neighbours never bang on my door or like this but yes one oldie living near by and one below my floor,whenever they are having problem they talk to me directly.I bought rugs and carpets so that it makes less noise but its not much helpful because my daughter is 2 year old and its really hard to control her every time,and when you say ''no,don't do this,stop'' kids love to do again n again :-)
I thing ask him or her directly what is the exact problem,it will be good you n you child otherwise he feel scared in his own house.
gud luck.
we bot 3-4 packs of those smooth plastic carpets? (i do not know how they r called but they have either numbers/letters/animal picutres printed on them) and put them in our little daughter's room.. they r really soft and even when i walk on them hardly any noise is made...

the problem is she hardly spends time at her room but always in the living room or kitchen.. dropping cutlery/remote controls/ hard toys on floor
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 15.01.2010, 11:18
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Zurich
Posts: 377
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 152 Times in 96 Posts
nanners has made some interesting contributions
Re: noise complaints, again

Quote:
View Post
Agreed.

This message is too short
Yes, but the droning noise In Heroes (even though I love it personally) could drive anyone crazy after a while!
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank nanners for this useful post:
  #7  
Old 15.01.2010, 11:19
Carlos R's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Roundn'about Basel
Posts: 7,231
Groaned at 105 Times in 95 Posts
Thanked 9,934 Times in 4,178 Posts
Carlos R has a reputation beyond reputeCarlos R has a reputation beyond reputeCarlos R has a reputation beyond reputeCarlos R has a reputation beyond reputeCarlos R has a reputation beyond reputeCarlos R has a reputation beyond repute
Re: noise complaints, again

Quote:
View Post
Yes, but the droning noise In Heroes (even though I love it personally) could drive anyone crazy after a while!
Leave it on repeat play when you go out?
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 15.01.2010, 11:22
economisto
 
Posts: n/a
Re: noise complaints, again

buy a dozen of these and hide them around his apartment.

http://chris.pirillo.com/the-worlds-...noying-gadget/
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 15.01.2010, 11:26
Treverus's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Work in ZH, live in SZ
Posts: 12,656
Groaned at 370 Times in 304 Posts
Thanked 24,357 Times in 8,817 Posts
Treverus has a reputation beyond reputeTreverus has a reputation beyond reputeTreverus has a reputation beyond reputeTreverus has a reputation beyond reputeTreverus has a reputation beyond reputeTreverus has a reputation beyond repute
Re: noise complaints, again

Rammstein, or any form of industrial, hard rock or metal, is far too rythmic. Your neighbour will simply hear the beat which is not that annoying. If you want to really terrorize him, you need to go something more in the line of for example Schönberg. As you cannot predict the next beat, it is far more annoying.

Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank Treverus for this useful post:
  #10  
Old 15.01.2010, 11:29
psychodelicate's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Zurich
Posts: 203
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 74 Times in 41 Posts
psychodelicate has earned some respectpsychodelicate has earned some respect
Re: noise complaints, again

We bought carpets too: no use.
We and other neighbors tried to talk with him: no use.
And moreover, if I have to tell the truth, I am fed up with everything, now!
I'm here in Switzerland by myself, I left a wonderful job and not finding another one here, so from a pretty nice carrier I am now a desperate housewife, my husband is always abroad, I have no friends here, outside there's only iced snow, my three years old wants to play. And this old grumpy lunatic is banging the ceiling everytime I walk. To tell the truth, today I'm feeling like Michael Douglas in "Falling down".
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 15.01.2010, 11:30
the_clangers's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: St. Louis, MO was St Prex, VD
Posts: 1,999
Groaned at 17 Times in 14 Posts
Thanked 1,185 Times in 697 Posts
the_clangers has a reputation beyond reputethe_clangers has a reputation beyond reputethe_clangers has a reputation beyond reputethe_clangers has a reputation beyond reputethe_clangers has a reputation beyond repute
Re: noise complaints, again

Quote:
View Post
Rammstein, or any form of industrial, hard rock or metal, is far too rythmic. Your neighbour will simply hear the beat which is not that annoying. If you want to really terrorize him, you need to go something more in the line of for example Schönberg. As you cannot predict the next beat, it is far more annoying.

And the beauty of classical music is that no matter how annoyed people get they can't quite bring themselves to complain that it is "noise."
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank the_clangers for this useful post:
  #12  
Old 15.01.2010, 11:37
Tilia's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: ZH
Posts: 2,745
Groaned at 75 Times in 42 Posts
Thanked 2,649 Times in 1,194 Posts
Tilia has a reputation beyond reputeTilia has a reputation beyond reputeTilia has a reputation beyond reputeTilia has a reputation beyond reputeTilia has a reputation beyond reputeTilia has a reputation beyond repute
Re: noise complaints, again

I totally understand what you are going though!!

Problem 1 - friends: why don't you try to join up with some of the other mothers here on the forum? Forget about trying to "integrate". It is fine if it happens but most important is that you have some friends. Who cares if they are expats. How about putting your child in daycare for 2-3 days a week if you can afford it? It will give you the opportunity to sign up for some courses or go to the gym or simply go shopping without a child in tow.

Problem 2 - grumpy neighbour. To be honest, in my experience you will always find people like that in Switzerland, no matter where you are. So to survive here you need to learn to ignore them. I know it is very, very difficult but it really is the only way because it won't go away. This guy may but then there will be others to take his place, rest assured!

Good luck!

Quote:
View Post
We bought carpets too: no use.
We and other neighbors tried to talk with him: no use.
And moreover, if I have to tell the truth, I am fed up with everything, now!
I'm here in Switzerland by myself, I left a wonderful job and not finding another one here, so from a pretty nice carrier I am now a desperate housewife, my husband is always abroad, I have no friends here, outside there's only iced snow, my three years old wants to play. And this old grumpy lunatic is banging the ceiling everytime I walk. To tell the truth, today I'm feeling like Michael Douglas in "Falling down".
Reply With Quote
The following 4 users would like to thank Tilia for this useful post:
  #13  
Old 15.01.2010, 11:43
the_clangers's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: St. Louis, MO was St Prex, VD
Posts: 1,999
Groaned at 17 Times in 14 Posts
Thanked 1,185 Times in 697 Posts
the_clangers has a reputation beyond reputethe_clangers has a reputation beyond reputethe_clangers has a reputation beyond reputethe_clangers has a reputation beyond reputethe_clangers has a reputation beyond repute
Re: noise complaints, again

Quote:
View Post
We bought carpets too: no use.
We and other neighbors tried to talk with him: no use.
And moreover, if I have to tell the truth, I am fed up with everything, now!
I'm here in Switzerland by myself, I left a wonderful job and not finding another one here, so from a pretty nice carrier I am now a desperate housewife, my husband is always abroad, I have no friends here, outside there's only iced snow, my three years old wants to play. And this old grumpy lunatic is banging the ceiling everytime I walk. To tell the truth, today I'm feeling like Michael Douglas in "Falling down".
Serious question time.
I have the reverse problem with the people that live upstairs. Their children run back and forth in their apartment banging and crashing all day and evening long. Yet when I had to install lights in the ceiling using a hammer drill they would bang on the floor. Funny how people can't stand what they do to others.

Do you wear heels when you are in the house? If so I can promise you that they are loud like the "clackers" in the downstairs apartment.

Are your children running around chasing each other continuously or is it random. Think honestly. I have a child and I know that what she does that annoys me me takes much more than it does to annoy others.

If the person reacts to any sharp noise transient by banging, during the day, I would try one more time to explain to them that they do not have the right to expect that their be "no noise" in a flat over head and that you are trying to be reasonable. If this fails then you have done your duty according to social convention and the law.

Next thing to do is to make sure that you know when the "No Noise" times are according to your rental agreement and stick hard to them.

Finally, if the guy is a complete prick I would make it a game.
When he bangs inappropriately I have my kids bang back at him. This way it lessens the trauma to them and might teach the guy down stairs a lesson. Negative reinforcement is a strong and powerful conditioner and motivator.

Who knows, he may come and talk to you. Then you could point out that while it may be possible to be a bit noisy, by accident, walking on the floor, it is quite impossible to, accidentally, be noisy whist walking on the ceiling.

Seriously, what kind of building do you live in...???
And have you contacted your landlord/rental agency?
Brian.
__________________
Many men, of course, became extremely rich, but this was perfectly natural, and nothing to be ashamed of, because no one was really poor -- at least no one worth speaking of. - Douglas Adams
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank the_clangers for this useful post:
  #14  
Old 15.01.2010, 11:45
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Zurich
Posts: 377
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 152 Times in 96 Posts
nanners has made some interesting contributions
Re: noise complaints, again

Quote:
View Post
Ok, now I can't stand it anymore. My neighbor is always complaining about the noise. If we just walk, at any time, he bumps on the ceiling. My son is scared.
We wrote a letter to our location agency, they checked with our other neighbors, and everybody agreed that the complaining neighbor is a pain in the *** for everybody. Washing machine, cellar, parking: he's mobbing everybody for a reason or another.
Now, ten minutes ago, I was simply doing breakfast with my son. We were sitting. My son just stood up and went to the kitchen, and my neighbor bumped. AT 9,45 in the morning, when I am allowed to at least walk in my house. I bumped back. And now "Heros" by David Bowie (just the first cd I had at hand) is playing loud in my stereo.
Maybe I'm passing to the wrong side. But I would like to let him know what "loud noise" is. I have some Rammstein cds also.
Another thought: have you spoken with him directly about the issue? I've often found that people here oftentimes are opinionated as long as no direct confrontation is involved, but will back down if you address the situation directly (always with a smile, of course )
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank nanners for this useful post:
  #15  
Old 15.01.2010, 11:57
the_clangers's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: St. Louis, MO was St Prex, VD
Posts: 1,999
Groaned at 17 Times in 14 Posts
Thanked 1,185 Times in 697 Posts
the_clangers has a reputation beyond reputethe_clangers has a reputation beyond reputethe_clangers has a reputation beyond reputethe_clangers has a reputation beyond reputethe_clangers has a reputation beyond repute
Re: noise complaints, again

Quote:
View Post
buy a dozen of these and hide them around his apartment.

http://chris.pirillo.com/the-worlds-...noying-gadget/
Seriously, do you have a home theatre system? With a subwoofer?
Just play movies with the subwoofer on only.

The ELF track will really annoy alot of people. But this is willful meanness.
As easy as it is to come up with these ideas, I always think it is less rude in reality to just go and have face to face confrontation with people. Unless of course they are just wackos.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 15.01.2010, 12:11
summerrain's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Zürich
Posts: 4,350
Groaned at 4 Times in 4 Posts
Thanked 985 Times in 325 Posts
summerrain has a reputation beyond reputesummerrain has a reputation beyond reputesummerrain has a reputation beyond reputesummerrain has a reputation beyond reputesummerrain has a reputation beyond reputesummerrain has a reputation beyond repute
Re: noise complaints, again

Quote:
View Post
Ok, now I can't stand it anymore. My neighbor is always complaining about the noise. If we just walk, at any time, he bumps on the ceiling. My son is scared.
We wrote a letter to our location agency, they checked with our other neighbors, and everybody agreed that the complaining neighbor is a pain in the *** for everybody. Washing machine, cellar, parking: he's mobbing everybody for a reason or another.
Now, ten minutes ago, I was simply doing breakfast with my son. We were sitting. My son just stood up and went to the kitchen, and my neighbor bumped. AT 9,45 in the morning, when I am allowed to at least walk in my house. I bumped back. And now "Heros" by David Bowie (just the first cd I had at hand) is playing loud in my stereo.
Maybe I'm passing to the wrong side. But I would like to let him know what "loud noise" is. I have some Rammstein cds also.
Assuming that its just footsteps and your son isnt stomping around all day long, this is another miserable sad git who doesnt have anything to do all day long but police the neighbours.

I would simply march upstairs and ask him/her (politely): "Why all the thumping on my floors? You are scaring my son".

If the response is that you are being too noisy, invite him to keep track of all the incidents that you are being overly noisy and send it to the rental agency / landlord, but to PLEASE stop the thumping. Let the landlord handle it. Keep it civil.

At the same time, do a pre-emptive strike by speaking to your agency/landlord about this problem, adding that your other neighbours are finding him a pain as well.

What he's doing is bordering on harrassment. You need to put a stop to this. Tit for tat isnt going to solve anything. Good luck.
__________________
Remember when someone annoys you, it takes 42 muscles to frown, BUT it only takes 4 muscles to extend your arm and b****-slap the mother-f***er upside the head.
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank summerrain for this useful post:
  #17  
Old 15.01.2010, 12:18
NSchulzi's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Zug
Posts: 2,422
Groaned at 52 Times in 33 Posts
Thanked 2,523 Times in 1,215 Posts
NSchulzi has a reputation beyond reputeNSchulzi has a reputation beyond reputeNSchulzi has a reputation beyond reputeNSchulzi has a reputation beyond reputeNSchulzi has a reputation beyond reputeNSchulzi has a reputation beyond repute
Re: noise complaints, again

Wagner, full blast or maybe Guns n Roses ...

Whilst on the subject of difficult neighbours (not behaving in a particularly British way), my husband and I had a similar experience here. When we moved here two months' ago the previous tenant showed us where the communal bins are but failed to inform us that we had to use prepaid rubbish bags. Needless to say, we deposited four bags of rubbish, all neatly tied up in black bin bags, in the wheelie bin. Yesterday, TWO MONTHS LATER, those black bags turned up right outside our front door with a nasty note attached saying, not very politely, that we had breached the rules. To say that we were rendered almost speechless at the petty, small-mindedness of it all, is an understatement.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 15.01.2010, 12:21
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: noise complaints, again

How about complaining about the noise he makes banging on the cieling?
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank for this useful post:
  #19  
Old 15.01.2010, 12:27
bigblue2's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Glarus
Posts: 8,082
Groaned at 484 Times in 403 Posts
Thanked 14,715 Times in 5,780 Posts
bigblue2 has a reputation beyond reputebigblue2 has a reputation beyond reputebigblue2 has a reputation beyond reputebigblue2 has a reputation beyond reputebigblue2 has a reputation beyond reputebigblue2 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: noise complaints, again

Quote:
View Post
To tell the truth, today I'm feeling like Michael Douglas in "Falling down".
If you do go postal on him don't forget to video it, stick it on youtube and post the link here
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank bigblue2 for this useful post:
  #20  
Old 15.01.2010, 12:57
inWinti's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Winterthur
Posts: 238
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 95 Times in 62 Posts
inWinti has earned some respectinWinti has earned some respect
Re: noise complaints, again

Quote:
View Post
And moreover, if I have to tell the truth, I am fed up with everything, now!
I've been through exactly the same situation as you, or better said my wife with our 2 year old son. The whole situation gets you down and you see everything else black as well. We now have 3 kids who make noise all the time. Living in an apartment would be unimaginable. Luckily we bought a semi-detached house in Winterthur, life suddenly got a whole lot better and I started to see Switzerland in a completely different light. It was the turning point for me. My wife who comes from Zürich still misses the place although I can't understand why.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank inWinti for this useful post:
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Complaints by holidaymakers Owl and Pussycat Jokes/funnies 6 18.03.2009 15:21
SBB - noise complaints or compensation jbrady Daily life 25 09.05.2008 16:00
Complaints! JAMES Complaints corner 12 09.09.2006 13:04
Electric Company Complaints evilshell Housing in general 24 08.09.2006 23:11


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 13:09.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2023, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0