English Forum Switzerland

English Forum Switzerland (https://www.englishforum.ch/forum.php)
-   Housing in general (https://www.englishforum.ch/housing-general/)
-   -   Google Earth (https://www.englishforum.ch/housing-general/7366-google-earth.html)

William Tell 16.05.2007 21:20

Google Earth
 
Google Earth is one useful tool! I am looking to buy a house/apartment, and I use it to chart the most interesting places within commuting distance from Zurich, where the housing prices are still manageable. I have identified a great area close to the German border, around the river Rhine, check it out. (Download Google Earth, and type in Switzerland, then zoom in and out :) )

If you know of any good areas to buy, then please share.

kittyk8te 16.05.2007 21:34

Re: Google Earth
 
we've found this map really useful - it has links to local transport timetables, as well as showing shops, restaurants, post offices etc.

Map: Switzerland [map.search.ch]

kate

William Tell 16.05.2007 21:59

Re: Google Earth
 
Thanks Kitty, I use that one too. It has great links with local interests, and with SBB - it is how I figure out the commute time :msnnerd: But Google Earth has the most recent aerial photographs :)

ChrisW 16.05.2007 22:22

Re: Google Earth
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by William Tell (Post 62489)
Google Earth has the most recent aerial photographs :)

That is true for some parts of Switzerland, including around Zurich, but for most of Switzerland the map.search.ch imagery and Google Maps / Earth imagery is the same, as discussed on a previous thread (Swiss sightseeing via satellite) - see the post by cantarell in particular.

William Tell 16.05.2007 23:35

Re: Google Earth
 
Your thread is great Chris. Brilliant idea, and talking about ideas, how about a map in time? I would like to see my home town when I was 10 (did they have areal photography then?), and what my little village will look like in a 100 years (projected).

map.search and earth compliment each other greatly. Congratulations and good luck.

Flashman4 17.05.2007 16:38

Re: Google Earth
 
1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by William Tell (Post 62519)
... I would like to see my home town when I was 10 (did they have areal photography then?)...

Well aerial photography has been going on since at least 1858 although not on the scale of Google / satellites of course.

Quote
"Credit for the first aerial photograph goes to French author and artist Felix Tournachon who used the nom de plume Nadar. He captured the first aerial photo from a balloon tethered over the Bievre Valley in 1858."

fduvall 18.05.2007 10:54

Re: Google Earth
 
Has anyone noticed that the maps of Zurich West area (maybe all of Zurich) are at least 3 years old. My building is not on the map yet. It looks like it is under construction. Google Earth says that everything is less than 3 years old, but not sure if this is the case. Maybe I am doing something wrong...

fduvall

Quote:

Originally Posted by William Tell (Post 62480)
Google Earth is one useful tool! I am looking to buy a house/apartment, and I use it to chart the most interesting places within commuting distance from Zurich, where the housing prices are still manageable. I have identified a great area close to the German border, around the river Rhine, check it out. (Download Google Earth, and type in Switzerland, then zoom in and out :) )

If you know of any good areas to buy, then please share.


Polorise 18.05.2007 11:06

Re: Google Earth
 
rather than having to download Google Earth, you can use maps from the Google Homepage ... you can have map, sattelite or hybrid views, whih certainly helps if you are looking for a particular street in a village etc.

also click on the link & zoom on my signture link .... much coolness ....

AbFab 18.05.2007 11:07

Re: Google Earth
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by fduvall (Post 62980)
Has anyone noticed that the maps of Zurich West area (maybe all of Zurich) are at least 3 years old. My building is not on the map yet. It looks like it is under construction. Google Earth says that everything is less than 3 years old, but not sure if this is the case. Maybe I am doing something wrong...

fduvall

My area of Thalwil is at least 10 years old on Google Earth.


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 07:45.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0