Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Housing in general  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 22.03.2010, 01:16
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: California
Posts: 1
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Celdu224 has no particular reputation at present
Short-term Stay in Zurich

Hello all. This is my first post, so excuse me if I'm not doing it correctly.

I am looking to stay in Zurich short-term for pleasure - about 60 days, so too long for a hotel and too short for a lease. From reading the posts about scams and the general difficulty finding an apartment short-term to sublet, or at all for that matter, I've been looking at business hotels - furnished rooms that appear to require at least a 30 day stay. Any general recommendations for or against? I've also written to one search agency about an apartment that I saw on a posting. Again, any recommendations for or against in general for a short-term stay? The business hotels seem to be nice from the pics and seem to be pretty decently located in the city, which makes me wonder if they're just too good to be true....

Also, does anyone know why I might not be able to do this under the standard 90 day visitors pass? I have a US passport, so no visa is required. Thanks.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 22.03.2010, 01:34
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Zurich
Posts: 851
Groaned at 129 Times in 67 Posts
Thanked 924 Times in 441 Posts
DerDieDas has a reputation beyond reputeDerDieDas has a reputation beyond reputeDerDieDas has a reputation beyond reputeDerDieDas has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Short-term Stay in Zurich

We stayed in a furnished apartment for a month when we first came. It cost 2900 CHF per month (1 bedroom). It was in Wiedikon (nice location) but unfortunately it was in the basement so we could only see the feet of people from the window. Don't know if upper floors are more expensive but I doubt it. It was cleaned once a week, rubbish taken out and towels changed. Decoration was basic, TV only had CNN as an English channel, there was broadband and some cooking utensils but not for a serious cooker. All in all it wasn't so bad although 2900 CHF is a bit steep. You can probably find a cheaper one run by an individual.

So I'd say business apartments are a possibility if you can afford them.

You might also find that some people advertise their homes for short term rental when they are away for some weeks or a couple of months. (In fact we might do the same in May for 3-4 weeks for an affordable price in return for taking care of our cat.)

Good luck with your search.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 27.03.2010, 16:31
rox's Avatar
rox rox is offline
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Fribourg
Posts: 21
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
rox has no particular reputation at present
Re: Short-term Stay in Zurich

Try www.ums.ch
there are relatively good prices
and also
www.wgzimmer.ch, if you want to share in case your budget is tight

good luck,
rox

Quote:
View Post
Hello all. This is my first post, so excuse me if I'm not doing it correctly.

I am looking to stay in Zurich short-term for pleasure - about 60 days, so too long for a hotel and too short for a lease. From reading the posts about scams and the general difficulty finding an apartment short-term to sublet, or at all for that matter, I've been looking at business hotels - furnished rooms that appear to require at least a 30 day stay. Any general recommendations for or against? I've also written to one search agency about an apartment that I saw on a posting. Again, any recommendations for or against in general for a short-term stay? The business hotels seem to be nice from the pics and seem to be pretty decently located in the city, which makes me wonder if they're just too good to be true....

Also, does anyone know why I might not be able to do this under the standard 90 day visitors pass? I have a US passport, so no visa is required. Thanks.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 27.03.2010, 16:55
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: ZH
Posts: 1,184
Groaned at 15 Times in 13 Posts
Thanked 77 Times in 72 Posts
danny has earned some respectdanny has earned some respect
Re: Short-term Stay in Zurich

Quote:
View Post
We stayed in a furnished apartment for a month when we first came. It cost 2900 CHF per month (1 bedroom). It was in Wiedikon (nice location) but unfortunately it was in the basement so we could only see the feet of people from the window. Don't know if upper floors are more expensive but I doubt it. It was cleaned once a week, rubbish taken out and towels changed. Decoration was basic, TV only had CNN as an English channel, there was broadband and some cooking utensils but not for a serious cooker. All in all it wasn't so bad although 2900 CHF is a bit steep. You can probably find a cheaper one run by an individual.

So I'd say business apartments are a possibility if you can afford them.

You might also find that some people advertise their homes for short term rental when they are away for some weeks or a couple of months. (In fact we might do the same in May for 3-4 weeks for an affordable price in return for taking care of our cat.)

Good luck with your search.
I guess you meant 1900 CHF. 2900 CHF should get you a house probably.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 27.03.2010, 17:03
simon_ch's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Zürich
Posts: 2,390
Groaned at 128 Times in 76 Posts
Thanked 3,488 Times in 1,377 Posts
simon_ch has a reputation beyond reputesimon_ch has a reputation beyond reputesimon_ch has a reputation beyond reputesimon_ch has a reputation beyond reputesimon_ch has a reputation beyond reputesimon_ch has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Short-term Stay in Zurich

Quote:
View Post
I guess you meant 1900 CHF. 2900 CHF should get you a house probably.
No, serviced appartments are that expensive.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 27.03.2010, 17:11
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Zürich
Posts: 58
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 38 Times in 19 Posts
AmyWarren has become a little unpopularAmyWarren has become a little unpopular
Re: Short-term Stay in Zurich

This is where my husband and I stayed. They have seven apartments, and are fully furnished and equipped with electronics, cable and internet, and linens. Also they include a bi-weekly cleaning service and the house and gardens are just lovely.

They also speak English. There is a two-month minimum stay. PM me if you would like more details. Not cheap, but lovely.

http://www.schwertgut.ch/

Good Luck!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
business hotel, short term stay




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Furnished apartments in Zurich - long and short term stay possible Cristina1 Commercial 8 03.04.2011 21:49
business apartment in Zurich for a short term stay? minstn Housing in general 1 22.09.2009 20:30
Anyone able to recommend a good short-term place to stay (Zurich) ashtraxx Housing in general 1 01.07.2008 12:47


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 13:35.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0