Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Housing in general  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 01.10.2010, 16:34
Sutter's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Thurgau
Posts: 5,802
Groaned at 68 Times in 48 Posts
Thanked 2,824 Times in 1,605 Posts
Sutter has a reputation beyond reputeSutter has a reputation beyond reputeSutter has a reputation beyond reputeSutter has a reputation beyond reputeSutter has a reputation beyond reputeSutter has a reputation beyond repute
Have you would you have a docking station put in your house for a hoover?

If you have built a house, or building a house would you put one in, or have you, and is/was it worth to spend the money in putting one in?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 01.10.2010, 16:41
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Zurich
Posts: 12,707
Groaned at 1,063 Times in 733 Posts
Thanked 18,083 Times in 7,039 Posts
Chuff has a reputation beyond reputeChuff has a reputation beyond reputeChuff has a reputation beyond reputeChuff has a reputation beyond reputeChuff has a reputation beyond reputeChuff has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Have you would you have a docking station put in your house for a hoover?

A 'docking station'... otherwise known as a cupboard?
Reply With Quote
The following 5 users would like to thank Chuff for this useful post:
  #3  
Old 01.10.2010, 16:55
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Have you would you have a docking station put in your house for a hoover?

Quote:
View Post
If you have built a house, or building a house would you put one in, or have you, and is/was it worth to spend the money in putting one in?
Assuming you're refering to a Roomba or equivalent robotic & docking station...

Yes, did. No, found it a complete and utter waste of time, money and effort (unless perhaps you're an extreme minimalist living in a single roomed bungalow with no pets/kids/...).
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank for this useful post:
  #4  
Old 01.10.2010, 16:56
Sutter's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Thurgau
Posts: 5,802
Groaned at 68 Times in 48 Posts
Thanked 2,824 Times in 1,605 Posts
Sutter has a reputation beyond reputeSutter has a reputation beyond reputeSutter has a reputation beyond reputeSutter has a reputation beyond reputeSutter has a reputation beyond reputeSutter has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Have you would you have a docking station put in your house for a hoover?

Quote:
View Post
A 'docking station'... otherwise known as a cupboard?
No silly billy lol, it is a thing that you put in the cellar, and to collect all the crap which you hoover up off your floors
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 01.10.2010, 17:02
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Have you would you have a docking station put in your house for a hoover?

And the reason for the groan is...?
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 01.10.2010, 17:03
Sutter's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Thurgau
Posts: 5,802
Groaned at 68 Times in 48 Posts
Thanked 2,824 Times in 1,605 Posts
Sutter has a reputation beyond reputeSutter has a reputation beyond reputeSutter has a reputation beyond reputeSutter has a reputation beyond reputeSutter has a reputation beyond reputeSutter has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Have you would you have a docking station put in your house for a hoover?

Quote:
View Post
Assuming you're refering to a Roomba or equivalent robotic & docking station...

Yes, did. No, found it a complete and utter waste of time, money and effort (unless perhaps you're an extreme minimalist living in a single roomed bungalow with no pets/kids/).
Not sure here is the website www.disan.ch
It is not a robot (that`s me)
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 01.10.2010, 17:04
Sutter's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Thurgau
Posts: 5,802
Groaned at 68 Times in 48 Posts
Thanked 2,824 Times in 1,605 Posts
Sutter has a reputation beyond reputeSutter has a reputation beyond reputeSutter has a reputation beyond reputeSutter has a reputation beyond reputeSutter has a reputation beyond reputeSutter has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Have you would you have a docking station put in your house for a hoover?

Quote:
View Post
And the reason for the groan is...?
Grrrrrrrrrrr sorry i meant to press thanks
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 01.10.2010, 17:11
cannut's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: canada
Posts: 6,874
Groaned at 180 Times in 140 Posts
Thanked 6,130 Times in 3,363 Posts
cannut has a reputation beyond reputecannut has a reputation beyond reputecannut has a reputation beyond reputecannut has a reputation beyond reputecannut has a reputation beyond reputecannut has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Have you would you have a docking station put in your house for a hoover?

Quote:
View Post
If you have built a house, or building a house would you put one in, or have you, and is/was it worth to spend the money in putting one in?
Hoover in proper English= Vacuum Cleaner.In your case Central Vacuum Cleaner . Right I have one
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank cannut for this useful post:
  #9  
Old 01.10.2010, 17:18
Sutter's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Thurgau
Posts: 5,802
Groaned at 68 Times in 48 Posts
Thanked 2,824 Times in 1,605 Posts
Sutter has a reputation beyond reputeSutter has a reputation beyond reputeSutter has a reputation beyond reputeSutter has a reputation beyond reputeSutter has a reputation beyond reputeSutter has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Have you would you have a docking station put in your house for a hoover?

Quote:
View Post
Hoover in proper English= Vacuum Cleaner.In your case Central Vacuum Cleaner . Right I have one
Yes, but you just plug the ptpe thing in the wall, and you don`t have to lug the machine around

Can you post a picture of your VACUUM CLEANER please i might want to buy it
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 01.10.2010, 17:28
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Have you would you have a docking station put in your house for a hoover?

Quote:
View Post
Not sure here is the website www.disan.ch
It is not a robot (that`s me)
Ah-ha!! A Central Vacuum System!!!

Also been there, done that, wouldn't bother again

I recall many happy hours trying to retrieve items (socks seem to have a special affinity for these systems) from half-way down the pipe, behind the wall, but not yet in the basement, with straightened coat-hangers and various other Heath Robinson instruments devised over time and of necessity.

And when it's all done and dusted - as it were - instead of the cable wrapping neatly round the cleaner, and the cleaner popping neatly in its docking station (aka "cupboard" , as Richdog spotted), you then have to do battle with this bl**dy great python of a corrugated tube, which has an even bigger mind of its own than a supermarket trolley with a wonky wheel

We finally stumbled across this baby, and I can strongly recommend it. Whilst hoovering or ironing will never be an enjoyable activity, at least when one's got the proper weapon, you can at least feel that you're kicking ass...
It's a Dyson Motorhead, a combined cylinder/upright cleaner, and the lights dim in the neighbourhood when you fire it up fully

Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank for this useful post:
  #11  
Old 01.10.2010, 17:31
cannut's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: canada
Posts: 6,874
Groaned at 180 Times in 140 Posts
Thanked 6,130 Times in 3,363 Posts
cannut has a reputation beyond reputecannut has a reputation beyond reputecannut has a reputation beyond reputecannut has a reputation beyond reputecannut has a reputation beyond reputecannut has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Have you would you have a docking station put in your house for a hoover?

Quote:
View Post
Yes, but you just plug the ptpe thing in the wall, and you don`t have to lug the machine around

Can you post a picture of your VACUUM CLEANER please i might want to buy it
Maybe this helps

http://www.improveyourroom.com/Centr...NuToneVac.aspx
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 01.10.2010, 17:32
ullainga's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: around Basel
Posts: 1,583
Groaned at 12 Times in 11 Posts
Thanked 2,189 Times in 911 Posts
ullainga has a reputation beyond reputeullainga has a reputation beyond reputeullainga has a reputation beyond reputeullainga has a reputation beyond reputeullainga has a reputation beyond reputeullainga has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Have you would you have a docking station put in your house for a hoover?

Had it once, wouldn't bother. as said, the python of a tube takes as much space as a normal vacuum cleaner and is a pain to carry around - at least normal ones have wheels. Get a cleaning lady instead
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank ullainga for this useful post:
  #13  
Old 01.10.2010, 17:33
Sutter's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Thurgau
Posts: 5,802
Groaned at 68 Times in 48 Posts
Thanked 2,824 Times in 1,605 Posts
Sutter has a reputation beyond reputeSutter has a reputation beyond reputeSutter has a reputation beyond reputeSutter has a reputation beyond reputeSutter has a reputation beyond reputeSutter has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Have you would you have a docking station put in your house for a hoover?

Quote:
View Post
A 'docking station'... otherwise known as a cupboard?
Ooops sorry Richdog i thought you meant a cupboard to put things in
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 01.10.2010, 17:34
Sutter's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Thurgau
Posts: 5,802
Groaned at 68 Times in 48 Posts
Thanked 2,824 Times in 1,605 Posts
Sutter has a reputation beyond reputeSutter has a reputation beyond reputeSutter has a reputation beyond reputeSutter has a reputation beyond reputeSutter has a reputation beyond reputeSutter has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Have you would you have a docking station put in your house for a hoover?

Quote:
View Post
Ah-ha!! A Central Vacuum System!!!

Also been there, done that, wouldn't bother again

I recall many happy hours trying to retrieve items (socks seem to have a special affinity for these systems) from half-way down the pipe, behind the wall, but not yet in the basement, with straightened coat-hangers and various other Heath Robinson instruments devised over time and of necessity.

And when it's all done and dusted - as it were - instead of the cable wrapping neatly round the cleaner, and the cleaner popping neatly in its docking station (aka "cupboard" , as Richdog spotted), you then have to do battle with this bl**dy great python of a corrugated tube, which has an even bigger mind of its own than a supermarket trolley with a wonky wheel

We finally stumbled across this baby, and I can strongly recommend it. Whilst hoovering or ironing will never be an enjoyable activity, at least when one's got the proper weapon, you can at least feel that you're kicking ass...
It's a Dyson Motorhead, a combined cylinder/upright cleaner, and the lights dim in the neighbourhood when you fire it up fully

Wow thanks i never thought of that scrap the idea
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 01.10.2010, 18:17
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Have you would you have a docking station put in your house for a hoover?

One final comment about these CVSs (Cursed Vacuums of Satan), before one starts to get a reputation as someone who collects registration numbers of vacuum cleaners

There's only one thing worse than having to sit in the basement sorting through the contents of a large tank containing several weeks'/months' worth of dust, hair, single socks, fur, dead insects and all the other stuff that I won't mention , because you just hoovered up something valuable, and you need to find it and retrieve it.


And that's having to sit in the basement sorting through the contents of a large tank containing several weeks'/months' worth of dust, hair, single socks, fur, dead insects and all the other stuff that I still won't mention , because you just hoovered up something, and you don't know whether it was valuable or not, and you won't know til you find it, so you have to find it, but you don't even know what it is you're looking for.
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank for this useful post:
  #16  
Old 01.10.2010, 18:23
Sutter's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Thurgau
Posts: 5,802
Groaned at 68 Times in 48 Posts
Thanked 2,824 Times in 1,605 Posts
Sutter has a reputation beyond reputeSutter has a reputation beyond reputeSutter has a reputation beyond reputeSutter has a reputation beyond reputeSutter has a reputation beyond reputeSutter has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Have you would you have a docking station put in your house for a hoover?

Quote:
View Post
One final comment about these CVSs (Cursed Vacuums of Satan), before one starts to get a reputation as someone who collects registration numbers of vacuum cleaners

There's only one thing worse than having to sit in the basement sorting through the contents of a large tank containing several weeks'/months' worth of dust, hair, single socks, fur, dead insects and all the other stuff that I won't mention , because you just hoovered up something valuable, and you need to find it and retrieve it.


And that's having to sit in the basement sorting through the contents of a large tank containing several weeks'/months' worth of dust, hair, single socks, fur, dead insects and all the other stuff that I still won't mention , because you just hoovered up something, and you don't know whether it was valuable or not, and you won't know til you find it, so you have to find it, but you don't even know what it is you're looking for.
Thanks again you just saved me alot of money, which i will spend on a wash shoot
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 01.10.2010, 18:30
Carlos R's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Roundn'about Basel
Posts: 7,238
Groaned at 105 Times in 95 Posts
Thanked 9,934 Times in 4,178 Posts
Carlos R has a reputation beyond reputeCarlos R has a reputation beyond reputeCarlos R has a reputation beyond reputeCarlos R has a reputation beyond reputeCarlos R has a reputation beyond reputeCarlos R has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Have you would you have a docking station put in your house for a hoover?

Quote:
View Post
And the reason for the groan is...?
Probably anticipated for this...

Quote:
View Post
And when it's all done and dusted...
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank Carlos R for this useful post:
  #18  
Old 01.10.2010, 19:04
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Zurich
Posts: 3,468
Groaned at 17 Times in 15 Posts
Thanked 1,994 Times in 1,187 Posts
CH_Me has a reputation beyond reputeCH_Me has a reputation beyond reputeCH_Me has a reputation beyond reputeCH_Me has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Have you would you have a docking station put in your house for a hoover?

Quote:
View Post
Thanks again you just saved me alot of money, which i will spend on a wash shoot
I've got one of those. Goes from upstairs to the basement laundry room. My husband still leaves his clothes on the floor upstairs It is convenient, but you might as well just carry a basket of clothes when you walk down there. The wash basket downstairs fills up fast and it all ends up on the floor. Send your trousers down with the belt you want to wear or your wallet/phone and you need to go and fetch it. It is convenient for sending everything down and sticking on a load of washing before I head out in the car. Spiders like the basement laundry basket too.

Luckily, my eldest hasn't figured out where it goes yet. He thinks it is just a wash basket. All his toys are going to go down there once he finds out.

Make sure that they make it out of marine ply or plastic tubing otherwise wet clothes can damage it.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank CH_Me for this useful post:
  #19  
Old 01.10.2010, 19:11
Sutter's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Thurgau
Posts: 5,802
Groaned at 68 Times in 48 Posts
Thanked 2,824 Times in 1,605 Posts
Sutter has a reputation beyond reputeSutter has a reputation beyond reputeSutter has a reputation beyond reputeSutter has a reputation beyond reputeSutter has a reputation beyond reputeSutter has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Have you would you have a docking station put in your house for a hoover?

Quote:
View Post
I've got one of those. Goes from upstairs to the basement laundry room. My husband still leaves his clothes on the floor upstairs It is convenient, but you might as well just carry a basket of clothes when you walk down there. The wash basket downstairs fills up fast and it all ends up on the floor. Send your trousers down with the belt you want to wear or your wallet/phone and you need to go and fetch it. It is convenient for sending everything down and sticking on a load of washing before I head out in the car. Spiders like the basement laundry basket too.

Luckily, my eldest hasn't figured out where it goes yet. He thinks it is just a wash basket. All his toys are going to go down there once he finds out.

Make sure that they make it out of marine ply or plastic tubing otherwise wet clothes can damage it.
The wash shoot was my husbands idea and will be in our private bathroom (only door into it is from our bedroom, kids have there own) We never put anything in the wash basket now with things on/in so i don`t think that will be a problem.

LOL my son would think it was cool to send al his car toys down

Thanks for the tip.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 01.10.2010, 19:14
GenevaSculler's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Geneva
Posts: 1,256
Groaned at 7 Times in 5 Posts
Thanked 1,028 Times in 531 Posts
GenevaSculler has a reputation beyond reputeGenevaSculler has a reputation beyond reputeGenevaSculler has a reputation beyond reputeGenevaSculler has a reputation beyond reputeGenevaSculler has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Have you would you have a docking station put in your house for a hoover?

We just given a Roomba. One word - awesome. Hit the button, walk out the door and go to work...
OK yes you have to keep the floor clear for it to work, and yes it wouldn't be much use in a large house with stairs etc, but for a medium-sized open-plan apartment it is great!
Reply With Quote
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
ipod docking station flow23 Other/general 7 25.07.2008 00:51


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 09:09.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0