Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Housing in general  
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 10.11.2010, 14:30
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Geneva
Posts: 4,019
Groaned at 37 Times in 31 Posts
Thanked 5,612 Times in 2,012 Posts
McTAVGE has a reputation beyond reputeMcTAVGE has a reputation beyond reputeMcTAVGE has a reputation beyond reputeMcTAVGE has a reputation beyond reputeMcTAVGE has a reputation beyond reputeMcTAVGE has a reputation beyond repute
smokeless coal in Geneva

I know, a strange request: does anyone know where to get smokeless coal in Geneva? We have an old farmhouse wood burning stove that seems to be using a lot of wood logs, but we miss the heat and glow of smokeless coal we used to burn in England! Any suggestions? Thanks.
  #2  
Old 10.11.2010, 14:37
Ittigen
 
Posts: n/a
Re: smokeless coal in Geneva

www.directories.ch in the telephone book!
__________________________________________

Brennholz Cheminéeholz; Gas; Brennstoffe
Bosson Combustibles SA

mazout carburants charbon-bois Gaz Total bois de chauffage Gaz Total
chemin de la Marbrerie 6
1227 Carouge GE

Telefon:* 022 343 89 50 Gratis anrufen
Gratis anrufen: Service
Ihr Festnetzanschluss
Telefon:
022 343 89 50

  1. <LI class=firstStep id=freecallFirstStep>Bitte geben Sie eine Festnetznummer an, auf der Sie gerade erreichbar sind. Ihre Festnetznummer<LI class=secondStep>Sie werden auf diese Festnetznummer angerufen.
  2. Gleichzeitig ruft der Service auch Ihren gewünschten Gesprächspartner an und verbindet Sie mit ihm.
Weitere Informationen finden Sie hier


Fax:* 022 343 14 41 E-Mail:* info@bosson.ch http://www.bosson.ch http://www.bosson.ch/charbon_066.htm

La composition des sédiments fossiles compacts appelés communément charbon peut grandement varier. Si la lignite est un jeune combustible fossile (env. 50 millions d'années), la houille est bien plus ancienne (env. 300 millions d'années). Elle a une teneur beaucoup plus élevée en carbone et donc une valeur thermique bien supérieure.
Qualité
Conditionnement
Anthracite 20/30
Sac de 25 Kg
Anthracite 20/30
Sac de 10 Kg
Anthracite 30/50
Sac de 25 Kg
Anthracite 30/50
Sac de 10 Kg
Boulets extracite
Sac de 25 Kg
Houille de forge
Sac de 25 Kg
Briquette
Paquet de 25 Kg
Briquette
Paquet de 10 Kg


Pour alimenter les chaudières, nous vous conseillons l'anthracite ruhr. Les briquettes, qui offrent une combustion lente, sont conseillées pour maintenir un feu de longue durée.
Pour toute information, veuillez nous contacter

They recommend the anthracite, the briquettes burn longer but at a lower temperature (I think they are also smokey)
This user would like to thank for this useful post:
  #3  
Old 10.11.2010, 14:47
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: smokeless coal in Geneva

If you've not already done so, you might want to check that your wood-burner is actually up to the coal-burning task - many of 'em were not designed to deal with the higher energy values of coal-based fuels
The following 2 users would like to thank for this useful post:
  #4  
Old 10.11.2010, 15:10
Carlos R's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Roundn'about Basel
Posts: 7,232
Groaned at 105 Times in 95 Posts
Thanked 9,934 Times in 4,178 Posts
Carlos R has a reputation beyond reputeCarlos R has a reputation beyond reputeCarlos R has a reputation beyond reputeCarlos R has a reputation beyond reputeCarlos R has a reputation beyond reputeCarlos R has a reputation beyond repute
Re: smokeless coal in Geneva

How can you have fire without any smoke?

...I'll get my coat...
This user would like to thank Carlos R for this useful post:
  #5  
Old 10.11.2010, 20:23
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Geneva
Posts: 4,019
Groaned at 37 Times in 31 Posts
Thanked 5,612 Times in 2,012 Posts
McTAVGE has a reputation beyond reputeMcTAVGE has a reputation beyond reputeMcTAVGE has a reputation beyond reputeMcTAVGE has a reputation beyond reputeMcTAVGE has a reputation beyond reputeMcTAVGE has a reputation beyond repute
Re: smokeless coal in Geneva

You can! And certainly in urban areas in the U.K. ,you must not have any smoke! Remember the 1960s smog and the people who died?? Since then, legislation has been very strict and various coal-based products designed to that effect.

Quote:
View Post
How can you have fire without any smoke?

...I'll get my coat...
  #6  
Old 10.11.2010, 20:26
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Geneva
Posts: 4,019
Groaned at 37 Times in 31 Posts
Thanked 5,612 Times in 2,012 Posts
McTAVGE has a reputation beyond reputeMcTAVGE has a reputation beyond reputeMcTAVGE has a reputation beyond reputeMcTAVGE has a reputation beyond reputeMcTAVGE has a reputation beyond reputeMcTAVGE has a reputation beyond repute
Re: smokeless coal in Geneva

Thank you! We used Bosson, but the coal is rubbish and indeed makes a lot of smoke. Their briquettes (we did a mixed coal/briquettes order) turned out to be BBQ coal. I'm not sure if they are suitable for inside. I did not feel entirely comfortable with the company, as they did not seem to know what was on their website when I mentioned the products and asked for advice... all very vague and rather unfriendly.

Quote:
View Post
www.directories.ch in the telephone book!
__________________________________________

Brennholz Cheminéeholz; Gas; Brennstoffe
Bosson Combustibles SA

mazout carburants charbon-bois Gaz Total bois de chauffage Gaz Total
chemin de la Marbrerie 6
1227 Carouge GE

Telefon:* 022 343 89 50 Gratis anrufen
Gratis anrufen: Service
Ihr Festnetzanschluss
Telefon:
022 343 89 50

  1. <LI class=firstStep id=freecallFirstStep>Bitte geben Sie eine Festnetznummer an, auf der Sie gerade erreichbar sind. Ihre Festnetznummer<LI class=secondStep>Sie werden auf diese Festnetznummer angerufen.
  2. Gleichzeitig ruft der Service auch Ihren gewünschten Gesprächspartner an und verbindet Sie mit ihm.
Weitere Informationen finden Sie hier


Fax:* 022 343 14 41 E-Mail:* info@bosson.ch http://www.bosson.ch http://www.bosson.ch/charbon_066.htm

La composition des sédiments fossiles compacts appelés communément charbon peut grandement varier. Si la lignite est un jeune combustible fossile (env. 50 millions d'années), la houille est bien plus ancienne (env. 300 millions d'années). Elle a une teneur beaucoup plus élevée en carbone et donc une valeur thermique bien supérieure.
Qualité
Conditionnement
Anthracite 20/30
Sac de 25 Kg
Anthracite 20/30
Sac de 10 Kg
Anthracite 30/50
Sac de 25 Kg
Anthracite 30/50
Sac de 10 Kg
Boulets extracite
Sac de 25 Kg
Houille de forge
Sac de 25 Kg
Briquette
Paquet de 25 Kg
Briquette
Paquet de 10 Kg


Pour alimenter les chaudières, nous vous conseillons l'anthracite ruhr. Les briquettes, qui offrent une combustion lente, sont conseillées pour maintenir un feu de longue durée.
Pour toute information, veuillez nous contacter

They recommend the anthracite, the briquettes burn longer but at a lower temperature (I think they are also smokey)
  #7  
Old 11.11.2010, 00:32
Ittigen
 
Posts: n/a
Re: smokeless coal in Geneva

Have you thought about barbecue charcoal?
This user would like to thank for this useful post:
  #8  
Old 11.11.2010, 16:41
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Geneva
Posts: 4,019
Groaned at 37 Times in 31 Posts
Thanked 5,612 Times in 2,012 Posts
McTAVGE has a reputation beyond reputeMcTAVGE has a reputation beyond reputeMcTAVGE has a reputation beyond reputeMcTAVGE has a reputation beyond reputeMcTAVGE has a reputation beyond reputeMcTAVGE has a reputation beyond repute
Re: smokeless coal in Geneva

Well, we had two huge bags of it in the delivery, but I daren't not use them as I don't know if they are smokeless, i.e. suitable for inside homes.

For those of you who think I ought to get a life, rather than debate various coal burning qualities, this stove is the main heating source in our house (and it's cold inside!), the rest being electric heaters that don't seem to be producing much heat. Hence my desperate plea!!


Quote:
View Post
Have you thought about barbecue charcoal?
  #9  
Old 11.11.2010, 16:51
GenevaSculler's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Geneva
Posts: 1,251
Groaned at 7 Times in 5 Posts
Thanked 1,033 Times in 534 Posts
GenevaSculler has a reputation beyond reputeGenevaSculler has a reputation beyond reputeGenevaSculler has a reputation beyond reputeGenevaSculler has a reputation beyond reputeGenevaSculler has a reputation beyond repute
Re: smokeless coal in Geneva

If you have no luck with the coal idea, we have found a very helpful wood provider just down the road in La Pallenterie who seems reasonably priced and can deliver as well if you need for a small fee. Feel free to email me if you want his contact details.
This user would like to thank GenevaSculler for this useful post:
  #10  
Old 11.11.2010, 16:55
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Geneva
Posts: 4,019
Groaned at 37 Times in 31 Posts
Thanked 5,612 Times in 2,012 Posts
McTAVGE has a reputation beyond reputeMcTAVGE has a reputation beyond reputeMcTAVGE has a reputation beyond reputeMcTAVGE has a reputation beyond reputeMcTAVGE has a reputation beyond reputeMcTAVGE has a reputation beyond repute
Re: smokeless coal in Geneva

Thank you! We had "3 sterres"of wood delivered, @ 120 CHF per sterre, it seemed very expensive to me, but I had no idea of the going rate and we needed the heat quick. If you don't mind giving me the contact details for La Pallanterie, it is not far from me.

Many thanks!

Quote:
View Post
If you have no luck with the coal idea, we have found a very helpful wood provider just down the road in La Pallenterie who seems reasonably priced and can deliver as well if you need for a small fee. Feel free to email me if you want his contact details.
 




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
[Geneva] Free parking areas in Geneva or surroundings Salsa_Lover Daily life 57 18.01.2018 17:10
Where to buy a smokeless grill Jaro Other/general 15 05.10.2009 12:59


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 00:46.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0