Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Insurance  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 23.11.2010, 19:17
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Geneva
Posts: 183
Groaned at 3 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 22 Times in 14 Posts
alanmack has no particular reputation at present
Car insurance before its registered in Switzerland?

Hi,

Brought over my car from Ireland, still has the Irish plates on it and need to get it registered here, but that might take a little while.

I had the impression that I could get it insured before I had it registered?

My Irish insurance only covers me for 30 daysout of the country, and only for third party :/

I really want to have insurance immediately.. but the insurance company I contacted said it must be registered first. But having investigated the process this could take a few weeks here.

Any clues?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 23.11.2010, 19:44
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: north
Posts: 6,132
Groaned at 218 Times in 138 Posts
Thanked 5,100 Times in 2,636 Posts
rob1 has a reputation beyond reputerob1 has a reputation beyond reputerob1 has a reputation beyond reputerob1 has a reputation beyond reputerob1 has a reputation beyond reputerob1 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Car insurance before its registered in Switzerland?

if its declared and you have a stamm number, but not yet on swiss plates call zurich, they will easily do it.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 24.11.2010, 12:42
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Zurich
Posts: 966
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 1,221 Times in 613 Posts
irish_temptation has a reputation beyond reputeirish_temptation has a reputation beyond reputeirish_temptation has a reputation beyond reputeirish_temptation has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Car insurance before its registered in Switzerland?

I don't know if it makes a difference that you have a foreign car which already has plates but I had to take out an insurance first before I could register my car. But maybe things are different because you might need to change your Irish licence for a Swiss one? I would call and ask at the Strassenverkehrsamt. Further information is available on the homepage http://www.stva.zh.ch/internet/ds/stva/de/home.html but it's only in German unfortunately!
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 24.11.2010, 15:45
SyBry's Avatar
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Basel area
Posts: 35
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 15 Times in 10 Posts
SyBry is considered knowledgeableSyBry is considered knowledgeableSyBry is considered knowledgeable
Re: Car insurance before its registered in Switzerland?

Quote:
View Post
if its declared and you have a stamm number, but not yet on swiss plates call zurich, they will easily do it.
I imported my car from America agree with ROB1 above.... my insurance agent said that the coverage couldn't be extended for more than three months. We finally went directly to the head office of Zurich and they quickly agreed to extend the period of time until the plates can be arranged.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 20.06.2011, 20:19
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: zurich
Posts: 1
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
sabineschilg has no particular reputation at present
Re: Car insurance before its registered in Switzerland?

Hello, I also want to bring a US car with me moving from NY to Zurich. My US insurance does not cover Europe. While CH insurance would insure my car upon import? I appreciate any advice, thanks in advance, Sabine
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 22.06.2011, 14:06
saint7uk's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Samstagern
Posts: 989
Groaned at 9 Times in 9 Posts
Thanked 586 Times in 358 Posts
saint7uk has a reputation beyond reputesaint7uk has a reputation beyond reputesaint7uk has a reputation beyond reputesaint7uk has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Car insurance before its registered in Switzerland?

Quote:
View Post
Hello, I also want to bring a US car with me moving from NY to Zurich. My US insurance does not cover Europe. While CH insurance would insure my car upon import? I appreciate any advice, thanks in advance, Sabine
Yes the Swiss insurance would cover the car on import, but it must be registered and go through the MFK and import duties.

If you PM me with further details I would be happy to help and advise you on this.

The legislation on this has recently changed and we are unable to insure a car that is not registered in the country. We can however provide cover after a stamm number is assigned for the period the tests are being done, plates made etc.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 22.06.2011, 20:15
Chris77's Avatar
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Zurich
Posts: 69
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 31 Times in 21 Posts
Chris77 is considered knowledgeableChris77 is considered knowledgeableChris77 is considered knowledgeable
Re: Car insurance before its registered in Switzerland?

When you say the legislation has changed I assume therefore you mean it applies for all insurance companies in Switzerland?

I have just purchased a classic car from the UK. It is going to spend some time there having some work done on it and then I am going to bring it to Switzerland. I had a very frustrating day yesterday discovering that whilst I might be the registered owner, and the car will be in the UK, no UK insurance company will provide cover because I am not currently resident in the UK.

From what you are saying no Swiss insurance company will insure the car until such a time as it has a Swiss registration. How does one therefore drive the car from the UK to Switzerland legally?
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 22.06.2011, 20:40
fatmanfilms's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Verbier
Posts: 21,376
Groaned at 461 Times in 352 Posts
Thanked 23,091 Times in 11,824 Posts
fatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Car insurance before its registered in Switzerland?

Quote:
View Post
When you say the legislation has changed I assume therefore you mean it applies for all insurance companies in Switzerland?

I have just purchased a classic car from the UK. It is going to spend some time there having some work done on it and then I am going to bring it to Switzerland. I had a very frustrating day yesterday discovering that whilst I might be the registered owner, and the car will be in the UK, no UK insurance company will provide cover because I am not currently resident in the UK.

From what you are saying no Swiss insurance company will insure the car until such a time as it has a Swiss registration. How does one therefore drive the car from the UK to Switzerland legally?
It's a non standard risk, you will need a broker, some underwriter at Lloyds of London will pick it up.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 23.06.2011, 16:47
saint7uk's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Samstagern
Posts: 989
Groaned at 9 Times in 9 Posts
Thanked 586 Times in 358 Posts
saint7uk has a reputation beyond reputesaint7uk has a reputation beyond reputesaint7uk has a reputation beyond reputesaint7uk has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Car insurance before its registered in Switzerland?

Quote:
View Post
When you say the legislation has changed I assume therefore you mean it applies for all insurance companies in Switzerland?

I have just purchased a classic car from the UK. It is going to spend some time there having some work done on it and then I am going to bring it to Switzerland. I had a very frustrating day yesterday discovering that whilst I might be the registered owner, and the car will be in the UK, no UK insurance company will provide cover because I am not currently resident in the UK.

From what you are saying no Swiss insurance company will insure the car until such a time as it has a Swiss registration. How does one therefore drive the car from the UK to Switzerland legally?
Yes this is correct, It is very tricky now...

We for example can provide temporary cover if the car is imported whilst it is having all the tests, conversions and matriculation done. ( A process that can take a couple of months ) As soon as the duty is paid and a Stamm number is assigned at customs we can insure.

However, In your case this would not be very sensible as you would need the car here to get it underway and then have the works done here, not very cost effective I would imagine! Also, if you have just purchased it you will have to pay the VAT on import, where as if the works take over 6 months and then you bring it in you won't.

This really is a case for a specific underwriting unless you can get the garage doing the works to insure it on their trade policy whilst it is in their care until delivered to Switzerland. This would be my course of action
Reply With Quote
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Swiss Car Insurance on Foreign Registered Car? gdaddy Insurance 12 20.11.2011 15:43
Non-Swiss Registered Car Insurance gdaddy Insurance 25 22.08.2011 14:29
Car Insurance in Switzerland hodgedob Transportation/driving 4 06.01.2010 17:21
Swiss Insurance for foreign UK registered car skyblue Transportation/driving 3 10.10.2009 10:08


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 16:42.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0