Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Insurance  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 03.03.2011, 10:34
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Switzerland
Posts: 49
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 26 Times in 12 Posts
Cosmos is considered knowledgeableCosmos is considered knowledgeableCosmos is considered knowledgeable
Wife's employer didn't take out accident insurance (I think)

And now my wife has had an accident.

I won't go into the gory details of it all. But my wife had an accident while we were visiting back in home in the UK. I delayed her flight for coming back. Since the accident involves burns I would like her bandages to be changed and for her burns to be checked for infections etc. when she comes back to Switzerland.

She works more than 8 hours per week as a nanny with a contract in Switzerland. The contract states the employer will provide accident insurance for her. When emailed about the details for this insurance the employer gave a very sketchy reply with strong suggestions that she should recover in the UK. When prompted further, no reply was received.

The NHS is underfunded enough without non-residents leeching off it IMO.

What would everyone suggest I do to move forward with this? I'm thinking to suggest that if she hasn't taken accident insurance then she can pay for any medical bills my wife has in Switzerland.

If they suddenly decide to be awkward about it then what? She has a legal obligation to insure her employees against accidents.

Thanks in advance for your help.


I live in the French speaking part of Switzerland.
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank Cosmos for this useful post:
  #2  
Old 03.03.2011, 10:48
economisto
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Wife's employer didn't take out accident insurance (I think)

Quote:
View Post
And now my wife has had an accident.

I won't go into the gory details of it all. But my wife had an accident while we were visiting back in home in the UK. I delayed her flight for coming back. Since the accident involves burns I would like her bandages to be changed and for her burns to be checked for infections etc. when she comes back to Switzerland.

She works more than 8 hours per week as a nanny with a contract in Switzerland. The contract states the employer will provide accident insurance for her. When emailed about the details for this insurance the employer gave a very sketchy reply with strong suggestions that she should recover in the UK. When prompted further, no reply was received.

The NHS is underfunded enough without non-residents leeching off it IMO.

What would everyone suggest I do to move forward with this? I'm thinking to suggest that if she hasn't taken accident insurance then she can pay for any medical bills my wife has in Switzerland.

If they suddenly decide to be awkward about it then what? She has a legal obligation to insure her employees against accidents.

Thanks in advance for your help.


I live in the French speaking part of Switzerland.
Accident insurance or medical insurance? AFAIK, accident insurance is insurance for employee accidents sustained at work. Medical insurance is normally the obligation of the individual not the employer and is mandatory in Switzerland.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank for this useful post:
  #3  
Old 03.03.2011, 10:59
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Switzerland
Posts: 49
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 26 Times in 12 Posts
Cosmos is considered knowledgeableCosmos is considered knowledgeableCosmos is considered knowledgeable
Re: Wife's employer didn't take out accident insurance (I think)

Quote:
View Post
Accident insurance or medical insurance? AFAIK, accident insurance is insurance for employee accidents sustained at work. Medical insurance is normally the obligation of the individual not the employer and is mandatory in Switzerland.
Thanks for your reply.

http://www.admin.ch/ch/f/rs/832_202/a13.html

Quote:
A part-time workers employed by an employer at least eight hours per week are also insured against non-occupational accidents. 1
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank Cosmos for this useful post:
  #4  
Old 03.03.2011, 11:15
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Vaud
Posts: 2,386
Groaned at 163 Times in 114 Posts
Thanked 4,695 Times in 1,809 Posts
Mikers has a reputation beyond reputeMikers has a reputation beyond reputeMikers has a reputation beyond reputeMikers has a reputation beyond reputeMikers has a reputation beyond reputeMikers has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Wife's employer didn't take out accident insurance (I think)

Quote:
View Post
Accident insurance or medical insurance? AFAIK, accident insurance is insurance for employee accidents sustained at work. Medical insurance is normally the obligation of the individual not the employer and is mandatory in Switzerland.
Hi Economisto, I humbly think this isnt actually the case - accident by the employer is to cover all accidents you have whether in or out of work. in my time here the employers accident cover also covered a skiing accident and a football injury I have had for example.
Reply With Quote
The following 9 users would like to thank Mikers for this useful post:
  #5  
Old 03.03.2011, 11:45
Corbets's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: DK - previously Zug
Posts: 3,327
Groaned at 169 Times in 123 Posts
Thanked 6,699 Times in 2,236 Posts
Corbets has a reputation beyond reputeCorbets has a reputation beyond reputeCorbets has a reputation beyond reputeCorbets has a reputation beyond reputeCorbets has a reputation beyond reputeCorbets has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Wife's employer didn't take out accident insurance (I think)

I would simply contact the employer again and state that you need the details of her accident coverage as these bills need to be paid. If she doesn't respond with details, or if she states that there is no coverage, suggest that she pay for the bills. If that fails, let her know that you'll be going to the authorities to discuss this.

I don't know that you'll get any kind of benefit from the authorities (i.e. I don't know if they'll give you some kind of financial compensation from your employer) but they'll definitely give her some grief.
Reply With Quote
The following 4 users would like to thank Corbets for this useful post:
  #6  
Old 03.03.2011, 12:37
Ittigen
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Wife's employer didn't take out accident insurance (I think)

Well it would be simpler if she recovered in the UK. Otherwise you can continue treatment here but you will have to fight for the return of the doctor's fees.

Many foreigners are entitled to free care on the British NHS, I expect they have already asked to see your wife's passport.

In the meantime you need to ask here where to start accusing the employer of breaking Swiss laws. I would first ask at your Commune, maybe the social services department. Would you like to name and shame the employer here? Maybe your health insurance agent can also help you.
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank for this useful post:
  #7  
Old 03.03.2011, 12:47
Upthehatters2008's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: In the kitchen at parties.
Posts: 4,569
Groaned at 208 Times in 122 Posts
Thanked 6,078 Times in 2,378 Posts
Upthehatters2008 has a reputation beyond reputeUpthehatters2008 has a reputation beyond reputeUpthehatters2008 has a reputation beyond reputeUpthehatters2008 has a reputation beyond reputeUpthehatters2008 has a reputation beyond reputeUpthehatters2008 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Wife's employer didn't take out accident insurance (I think)

Quote:
View Post
Well it would be simpler if she recovered in the UK. Otherwise you can continue treatment here but you will have to fight for the return of the doctor's fees.

Many foreigners are entitled to free care on the British NHS, I expect they have already asked to see your wife's passport.

In the meantime you need to ask here where to start accusing the employer of breaking Swiss laws. I would first ask at your Commune, maybe the social services department. Would you like to name and shame the employer here? Maybe your health insurance agent can also help you.


Easy Tiger... There is no proof that the Employer does not have insurance. Merely that the Employer has not provided the insurance details.
Reply With Quote
The following 5 users would like to thank Upthehatters2008 for this useful post:
  #8  
Old 03.03.2011, 12:47
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Wife's employer didn't take out accident insurance (I think)

It's a difficult situation for you, so I hope your wife will recover soon.
I am however a bit confused- if you are resident here, you have to have medical Insurance yourself by law, which would cover her anyway. Are you not covered by holiday insurance either?
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank for this useful post:
  #9  
Old 03.03.2011, 12:52
foliorose's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Zürich Seefeld
Posts: 378
Groaned at 10 Times in 6 Posts
Thanked 306 Times in 146 Posts
foliorose has earned some respectfoliorose has earned some respect
Re: Wife's employer didn't take out accident insurance (I think)

Cosmos, I am so sorry you and your wife have to deal with this stress on top of her injuries! It's frustrating that your wife is working with a contract and following all the rules and then this happens anyway!

I agree with Ittigen. If your wife can stay in the UK for a while it might make things simpler until you can figure out where you stand and who's responsible to pay here. If you're feeling guilty about using the NHS that's understandable, but if you paid in for many years and need it now, you are still citizens and it's still your country.

I wish you lots of luck!
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank foliorose for this useful post:
Reply

Tags
accident insurance




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Accident insurance for a cleaner tanya_in_coppet Insurance 14 21.11.2013 19:28
How to claim accident insurance? CheesyKiwi Family matters/health 6 27.10.2010 11:01
Accident Insurance - covered by employer? Psyk Insurance 5 31.12.2009 16:51
Accident insurance paid by employer or employee? MrMert Insurance 9 15.10.2009 18:38
Accident Insurance ydl Insurance 0 07.05.2009 17:46


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 20:42.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0