Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Insurance  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 08.05.2011, 22:58
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: zurich
Posts: 75
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 17 Times in 11 Posts
hoover has become a little unpopularhoover has become a little unpopular
Car insurance cancellation and insurance refusal

I have interesting question : once you cancell your car insurance what happens if you don't take new one ?

My understanding is that you are covered by old one until SVT change in papers of car however you are only covered in basic (what is required) and no more additional insurances you had.

Question is raised as practice of All..nz is to send letters with 10days backdate - and not to confirm should insurance cancellation be accepted or not - than they claim full amount on all insurances you have had from time you sent your insurance cancellation until you re-registered car to new insurance.

needless to day should you not know that cancellation is accepted and what are legel response times you wouldn't go for other insurance as you brench contaract with first one ...

?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 09.05.2011, 00:29
saint7uk's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Samstagern
Posts: 989
Groaned at 9 Times in 9 Posts
Thanked 586 Times in 358 Posts
saint7uk has a reputation beyond reputesaint7uk has a reputation beyond reputesaint7uk has a reputation beyond reputesaint7uk has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Car insurance cancellation and insturance refusal

Quote:
View Post
I have interesting question : once you cancell your car insurance what happens if you don't take new one ?

My understanding is that you are covered by old one until SVT change in papers of car however you are only covered in basic (what is required) and no more additional insurances you had.

Question is raised as practice of All..nz is to send letters with 10days backdate - and not to confirm should insurance cancellation be accepted or not - than they claim full amount on all insurances you have had from time you sent your insurance cancellation until you re-registered car to new insurance.

needless to day should you not know that cancellation is accepted and what are legel response times you wouldn't go for other insurance as you brench contaract with first one ...

?
Really confused with what you are trying to ask here...

Are you trying to cancel an existing policy? If so on what grounds? Then are you trying to maintain a car without a cover policy?
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 11.05.2011, 11:06
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: zurich
Posts: 75
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 17 Times in 11 Posts
hoover has become a little unpopularhoover has become a little unpopular
Re: Car insurance cancellation and insurance refusal

Well - policy cancelation was on ground of an accident and it's handling by insurance .

What I noticed is 1. my cancellation was accepted however never got any confirmation of it neither by phone , email nor mail ..

in meantime I got series of mails with request to pay policy fee every week or so .. making me assume it wasn't cancelled. Each time I called , they couldn't find cancellation , since it was registered mail finally it was found but was told ... by now I should have changed already and not it's too late ..
so insurance company claims that since I haven't changed to new insurance they try to say I have this way agreed to continue my policy with them at new terms which ofcourse wasn't the case.

So there is two quesions here:

Is this the case that you cancel policy (hapfliht and full-casco) however insurance never confimed that thy agree and what's the termination data - does insruance has right to claim that since you haven't changed , you agree to continue current policy or I have continue ?

2) since insurance claim is back-dated I believe should my car got stolen during that time - they would claim contract was cancelled and I have no legal contract with them , while now of course when risk is 0 , they try to get just money ?

3) when I cancell obligatory and full-casco , while not going to SVT with new insurance company to change papers (I woudn't until it's confirmed by former insurance ) are both policies still in place or only mandatory one (so not full casco) and as such insurance is attempting fraud here ?

Thanks in advance
h.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 11.05.2011, 11:15
Ittigen
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Car insurance cancellation and insurance refusal

Very important! Your insurance is only cancelled when you hand the metal car number plates into the Cantonal traffic office!

(for Zurich: http://www.stva.zh.ch/internet/siche...s/KSdepot.html ).

Car insurance Policies are often running for 7 years or more! At the end of the year you will receive a refund of the money remaining from your insurance company. You cannot simply cancel by writing them a letter, you have a 7 year contract. Tell the new company you have made a mistake!
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank for this useful post:
  #5  
Old 17.05.2011, 11:36
PaddyG's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Pensier, Fribourg
Posts: 9,260
Groaned at 121 Times in 105 Posts
Thanked 16,857 Times in 5,912 Posts
PaddyG has a reputation beyond reputePaddyG has a reputation beyond reputePaddyG has a reputation beyond reputePaddyG has a reputation beyond reputePaddyG has a reputation beyond reputePaddyG has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Car insurance cancellation and insurance refusal

Quote:
View Post
Very important! Your insurance is only cancelled when you hand the metal car number plates into the Cantonal traffic office!

(for Zurich: http://www.stva.zh.ch/internet/siche...s/KSdepot.html ).

Car insurance Policies are often running for 7 years or more! At the end of the year you will receive a refund of the money remaining from your insurance company. You cannot simply cancel by writing them a letter, you have a 7 year contract. Tell the new company you have made a mistake!

Unless you are changing car and insurance company. As long as you cancel the Ausweis, you are fine. I know, we just did this today .
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 17.05.2011, 15:57
miniMia's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: romandie
Posts: 9,997
Groaned at 101 Times in 92 Posts
Thanked 9,071 Times in 4,509 Posts
miniMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Car insurance cancellation and insurance refusal

Quote:
View Post
Very important! Your insurance is only cancelled when you hand the metal car number plates into the Cantonal traffic office!

(for Zurich: http://www.stva.zh.ch/internet/siche...s/KSdepot.html ).

Car insurance Policies are often running for 7 years or more! At the end of the year you will receive a refund of the money remaining from your insurance company. You cannot simply cancel by writing them a letter, you have a 7 year contract. Tell the new company you have made a mistake!
Of course you can change insurance companies. What you can't do is what the OP is trying to do NOT have any insurance at all. His company won't cancel as he hasn't provided proof of a new policy with a new company and he hasn't provided proof he turned in his plates.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank miniMia for this useful post:
  #7  
Old 17.05.2011, 16:05
PaddyG's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Pensier, Fribourg
Posts: 9,260
Groaned at 121 Times in 105 Posts
Thanked 16,857 Times in 5,912 Posts
PaddyG has a reputation beyond reputePaddyG has a reputation beyond reputePaddyG has a reputation beyond reputePaddyG has a reputation beyond reputePaddyG has a reputation beyond reputePaddyG has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Car insurance cancellation and insurance refusal

One thing I'm not sure of though; we have sold our old car, cancelled the Ausweis and the old insurance, and have agreed, but not signed yet, a new insurance policy. If we haven't signed the new contract by the time our new car will be delivered, will this cause a problem?
According to the Office de Circulation website (from what I understand), all they require is an "attestation" from the new insurance, valid for 30 days. I take this to mean we can pick up the car, with the policy agreed in principle, and have 30 days to sign the policy. Have I read this right? Seems a bit naive, but our insurance always sorted out these details, but we binned them for being way too bloody expensive (but awfully friendly though), so we're having to do this bit ourselves for once.
__________________
Stealing jokes off the internet and passing them off as my own since 1995
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 22.05.2011, 20:55
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: zurich
Posts: 75
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 17 Times in 11 Posts
hoover has become a little unpopularhoover has become a little unpopular
Re: Car insurance cancellation and insurance refusal

Let me a bit explain situation.

You already send cancellation and it was accepted.
You had required car insurance plus additional insurances

Now - at the time when insurance should be cancelled - you do not change papers are SVT.

Of course you need to have mandatory car insurance however you are not obligated to have additional insurances.

So at the data when cancellation was accepted with data 01.march.11 let's say - however I have not changed at SVT until 1.may.2011 - do I have both insurances or just required since my cancellation date already passed and both parts of insurance should have been cancelled ?

In other words should I have accident and drive over street lights - would I still be covered (since it's my fault - it wouldn't fall under basic insurance) or rather insurance company would say "no , sorry - you are on you own - yes, we had to covery your SVT mandatory insurance since you haven't changed papers however nothing on top of it" ... ?

Thanks

Hoover
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
insurance.claim.fraud




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Professional Indemnity Insurance & Public Liability Insurance Juliette*J Insurance 10 29.06.2016 20:10
Swiss Car Insurance on Foreign Registered Car? gdaddy Insurance 12 20.11.2011 14:43
Sold a car - insurance cancellation and plates Horst Transportation/driving 14 19.04.2011 15:28
Insurance questions - can I switch back to standard insurance from Hausartzinsurance Dietiker Insurance 3 12.05.2010 15:21
What to do first? (License Exchange, Car Registration or Car Insurance) eds27 Transportation/driving 4 31.07.2009 20:49


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 22:47.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0