Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Insurance  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 07.06.2011, 14:14
richardm's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: #murica
Posts: 665
Groaned at 15 Times in 15 Posts
Thanked 241 Times in 145 Posts
richardm has earned the respect of manyrichardm has earned the respect of manyrichardm has earned the respect of many
Swiss car needs Swiss Policy?

Is a Swiss-registered and plated vehicle required to have a local insurance policy (ie one originated within Switzerland)? I just changed from one expat provider (Italsure) to another (GEICO Overseas) and they set up the new policy as if I were still driving on foreign plates. The green card suggests the policy was originated in Great Britain (Chartis UK).

When I applied for local plates about 6 months ago, it was a mandatory requirement for the car to have an in-country policy registered in the Vaud SAN computer system. No local insurance --> no inspection --> no Swiss plates.

Now that I have local plates, is it suddenly OK for me to have a foreign policy? I think the answer is NO but the company is telling me YES and I don't want to drive the car until they write the in-country portion of the policy.

Any advice would be appreciated...
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 07.06.2011, 14:18
saint7uk's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Samstagern
Posts: 989
Groaned at 9 Times in 9 Posts
Thanked 586 Times in 358 Posts
saint7uk has a reputation beyond reputesaint7uk has a reputation beyond reputesaint7uk has a reputation beyond reputesaint7uk has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Swiss car needs Swiss Policy?

No you shouldn't actually even have the plates unless the car is registered on the insurance system...

Has your current insurance lapsed?

If you send me a PM with your details and circumstances I can look into this and help you out.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 07.06.2011, 14:26
richardm's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: #murica
Posts: 665
Groaned at 15 Times in 15 Posts
Thanked 241 Times in 145 Posts
richardm has earned the respect of manyrichardm has earned the respect of manyrichardm has earned the respect of many
Re: Swiss car needs Swiss Policy?

Yes, the original policy expired a week ago. That policy was a Swiss policy and it was registered in the system.

For the new policy, I have a green card with a GB issue number and no other documents.

I refuse to drive the car in this condition until I know that the authorities have an active policy registered in their system. Do you have a way to check in the system?
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 07.06.2011, 14:35
saint7uk's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Samstagern
Posts: 989
Groaned at 9 Times in 9 Posts
Thanked 586 Times in 358 Posts
saint7uk has a reputation beyond reputesaint7uk has a reputation beyond reputesaint7uk has a reputation beyond reputesaint7uk has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Swiss car needs Swiss Policy?

Quote:
View Post
Yes, the original policy expired a week ago. That policy was a Swiss policy and it was registered in the system.

For the new policy, I have a green card with a GB issue number and no other documents.

I refuse to drive the car in this condition until I know that the authorities have an active policy registered in their system. Do you have a way to check in the system?
Yes.

PM sent...
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank saint7uk for this useful post:
  #5  
Old 07.06.2011, 17:15
miniMia's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: romandie
Posts: 9,971
Groaned at 101 Times in 92 Posts
Thanked 9,106 Times in 4,522 Posts
miniMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Swiss car needs Swiss Policy?

Quote:
View Post
Yes.

PM sent...
Don't forget to come back & answer the question so that others will know the requirements.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank miniMia for this useful post:
  #6  
Old 07.06.2011, 17:31
saint7uk's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Samstagern
Posts: 989
Groaned at 9 Times in 9 Posts
Thanked 586 Times in 358 Posts
saint7uk has a reputation beyond reputesaint7uk has a reputation beyond reputesaint7uk has a reputation beyond reputesaint7uk has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Swiss car needs Swiss Policy?

Quote:
View Post
Don't forget to come back & answer the question so that others will know the requirements.
Don't worry It will be answered. There are a lot of PM's, Mails and calls going on over this. It's a bit of a complex issue under the surface.

The "Yes" actually was a reply to the OP asking if I had a way to check the system and if his car was currently insured.

But for the moment, in basics, Swiss cars do need to be insured by a Swiss company or a company working with Swiss partners or that operate within Switzerland... next we work out the exceptions that prove the rule! LOL Stay tuned
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 07.06.2011, 19:03
fatmanfilms's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Verbier
Posts: 21,376
Groaned at 461 Times in 352 Posts
Thanked 23,091 Times in 11,824 Posts
fatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Swiss car needs Swiss Policy?

Quote:
View Post
Yes, the original policy expired a week ago. That policy was a Swiss policy and it was registered in the system.

For the new policy, I have a green card with a GB issue number and no other documents.

I refuse to drive the car in this condition until I know that the authorities have an active policy registered in their system. Do you have a way to check in the system?
Hi,

Swiss insurance does not expire unless you give notice or hand the plates back. Not paying the premium does not cancel the insurers liability either.

Normally Swiss insurance policies run for 5-10 years, you should look at your documentation, you can't just change insurers because you feel like it!
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 07.06.2011, 19:13
richardm's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: #murica
Posts: 665
Groaned at 15 Times in 15 Posts
Thanked 241 Times in 145 Posts
richardm has earned the respect of manyrichardm has earned the respect of manyrichardm has earned the respect of many
Re: Swiss car needs Swiss Policy?

Quote:
View Post
Hi,

Swiss insurance does not expire unless you give notice or hand the plates back. Not paying the premium does not cancel the insurers liability either.

Normally Swiss insurance policies run for 5-10 years, you should look at your documentation, you can't just change insurers because you feel like it!
Good point. This was an expat policy, however. Written in the UK, denominated in USD, had US policy language, and a CH-based green card. One year.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 07.06.2011, 19:26
fatmanfilms's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Verbier
Posts: 21,376
Groaned at 461 Times in 352 Posts
Thanked 23,091 Times in 11,824 Posts
fatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Swiss car needs Swiss Policy?

Quote:
View Post
Good point. This was an expat policy, however. Written in the UK, denominated in USD, had US policy language, and a CH-based green card. One year.
I doubt it's acceptable to the CH, you need to ask for your money back!
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 07.06.2011, 19:33
richardm's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: #murica
Posts: 665
Groaned at 15 Times in 15 Posts
Thanked 241 Times in 145 Posts
richardm has earned the respect of manyrichardm has earned the respect of manyrichardm has earned the respect of many
Re: Swiss car needs Swiss Policy?

Quote:
View Post
I doubt it's acceptable to the CH, you need to ask for your money back!
It was... Vaud SAN gave me plates and registration on that policy, but only after it appeared on their computer.

Now I'm trying to get this new policy to appear on the computer.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 07.06.2011, 20:05
fatmanfilms's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Verbier
Posts: 21,376
Groaned at 461 Times in 352 Posts
Thanked 23,091 Times in 11,824 Posts
fatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Swiss car needs Swiss Policy?

Quote:
View Post
It was... Vaud SAN gave me plates and registration on that policy, but only after it appeared on their computer.

Now I'm trying to get this new policy to appear on the computer.
What I am saying is the new insurance will never appear on their computer as it's not from a Swiss company.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 07.06.2011, 20:19
richardm's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: #murica
Posts: 665
Groaned at 15 Times in 15 Posts
Thanked 241 Times in 145 Posts
richardm has earned the respect of manyrichardm has earned the respect of manyrichardm has earned the respect of many
Re: Swiss car needs Swiss Policy?

Quote:
View Post
What I am saying is the new insurance will never appear on their computer as it's not from a Swiss company.
In the policy's present state, that is correct.

There is an in-country portion of the policy that GEICO needs to originate, probably with Chartis in Zurich. At that time, I will receive complementary policy documents and a new CH-based green card. I would also expect the policy to appear in the Vaud SAN computer system. This is what happened the last time I used an expat company (Italsure) and I expect the same thing to happen again.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 07.06.2011, 20:28
fatmanfilms's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Verbier
Posts: 21,376
Groaned at 461 Times in 352 Posts
Thanked 23,091 Times in 11,824 Posts
fatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Swiss car needs Swiss Policy?

Quote:
View Post
In the policy's present state, that is correct.

There is an in-country portion of the policy that GEICO needs to originate, probably with Chartis in Zurich. At that time, I will receive complementary policy documents and a new CH-based green card. I would also expect the policy to appear in the Vaud SAN computer system. This is what happened the last time I used an expat company (Italsure) and I expect the same thing to happen again.
Good luck, as a shareholder in Berkshire Hatherway, the owner of GEICO I hope it's successul!
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 07.06.2011, 21:01
richardm's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: #murica
Posts: 665
Groaned at 15 Times in 15 Posts
Thanked 241 Times in 145 Posts
richardm has earned the respect of manyrichardm has earned the respect of manyrichardm has earned the respect of many
Re: Swiss car needs Swiss Policy?

Quote:
View Post
Good luck, as a shareholder in Berkshire Hatherway, the owner of GEICO I hope it's successul!
Chartis arose from the ashes of AIG, too.
Reply With Quote
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Swiss Car Insurance on Foreign Registered Car? gdaddy Insurance 12 20.11.2011 14:43
Swiss car insurance without a Swiss license trailingfidanzata Insurance 6 16.02.2011 17:08
Official Sick leave policy for any Swiss employee:- Sammy123 Permits/visas/government 2 08.10.2010 14:09
Room rent policy in Swiss nageshshrinath Other/general 9 10.03.2006 17:45


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 19:48.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0