Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Insurance  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 27.09.2011, 17:10
Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Geneva
Posts: 5
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Nicalf08 has no particular reputation at present
Confusion with basic insurance cover - help please,

Hi all, just wondering if someone can help me as my insurance company have so far not been able to. My son who has accidental insurance cover along with his health insurance had an accident at the park last month and a Swiss woman called an ambulance for him. We were billed the shocking amount and have paid it a few days late I have just realised, sending the bill off to insurance company tomorrow. Can they refuse to pay out because I stupidly didn't pay on time? I know they say to notify them immediately but what exactly does this mean because they have still not sent out t&c to us.

Also will they cover 50% or something different?

A separate question - we are wanting to try for a baby soon...as in now but have been here nine months and I hear you need to be insured for a year before being covered for hospitalisation etc. Does this mean that scans, tests etc will not be covered if I get pregnant before the year is up? I also will need a c-section - is this covered and by how much? Do we pay 10% of everything?

Many thanks in advance for info
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 27.09.2011, 17:24
fatmanfilms's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Verbier
Posts: 18,214
Groaned at 292 Times in 241 Posts
Thanked 15,931 Times in 8,860 Posts
fatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Confusion with basic insurance cover - help please,

Quote:
View Post
Hi all, just wondering if someone can help me as my insurance company have so far not been able to. My son who has accidental insurance cover along with his health insurance had an accident at the park last month and a Swiss woman called an ambulance for him. We were billed the shocking amount and have paid it a few days late I have just realised, sending the bill off to insurance company tomorrow. Can they refuse to pay out because I stupidly didn't pay on time? I know they say to notify them immediately but what exactly does this mean because they have still not sent out t&c to us.

Also will they cover 50% or something different?

A separate question - we are wanting to try for a baby soon...as in now but have been here nine months and I hear you need to be insured for a year before being covered for hospitalisation etc. Does this mean that scans, tests etc will not be covered if I get pregnant before the year is up? I also will need a c-section - is this covered and by how much? Do we pay 10% of everything?

Many thanks in advance for info
I am not sure that the ambulance will be covered with basic insurance, paying a few days late wont be a problem, not paying is not a reason to avoid a pay out for legally required insurance.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 27.09.2011, 17:54
Blonaybear's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Blonay
Posts: 1,597
Groaned at 4 Times in 4 Posts
Thanked 836 Times in 432 Posts
Blonaybear has a reputation beyond reputeBlonaybear has a reputation beyond reputeBlonaybear has a reputation beyond reputeBlonaybear has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Confusion with basic insurance cover - help please,

The basic insurance pays 50% of the ambulance cost. Full details of the basic cover can be found here.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 27.09.2011, 18:55
Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Geneva
Posts: 5
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Nicalf08 has no particular reputation at present
Re: Confusion with basic insurance cover - help please,

Thank you for the link, so even though he has accidental insurance cover this doesn't mean he's covered for the ambulance?
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 27.09.2011, 19:33
Ittigen
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Confusion with basic insurance cover - help please,

Quote:
View Post
Thank you for the link, so even though he has accidental insurance cover this doesn't mean he's covered for the ambulance?
Ambulances here are very expensive! If he has supplementary insurance, the full cost of the ambulance might be paid,

http://en.comparis.ch/krankenkassen/...sicherung.aspx

Next time try and phone your local doctor. Ambulances are usually only really necessary with choking or breathing difficulties. Is the Swiss lady who called the ambulance going to pay the missing 50% of the cost?
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 27.09.2011, 19:39
anowheels's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Not Zurich
Posts: 988
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 668 Times in 401 Posts
anowheels has an excellent reputationanowheels has an excellent reputationanowheels has an excellent reputationanowheels has an excellent reputation
Re: Confusion with basic insurance cover - help please,

For your pregnancy question - I think it's that you have to be covered by supplementary insurance for a year (or whatever your particular contract stipulates) before it will cover pregnancy related expenses - not basic insurance. If you arrived here 8 months pregnant, got the basic health insurance, and then went into labor, you'd be covered for pregnancy related expenses under your basic insurance - you wouldn't be allowed any supplemental cover though.

Here's an overview of what's covered by basic health insurance for maternity: http://en.comparis.ch/krankenkassen/...g.aspx#punkt23

Quote:
View Post
Hi all, just wondering if someone can help me as my insurance company have so far not been able to. My son who has accidental insurance cover along with his health insurance had an accident at the park last month and a Swiss woman called an ambulance for him. We were billed the shocking amount and have paid it a few days late I have just realised, sending the bill off to insurance company tomorrow. Can they refuse to pay out because I stupidly didn't pay on time? I know they say to notify them immediately but what exactly does this mean because they have still not sent out t&c to us.

Also will they cover 50% or something different?

A separate question - we are wanting to try for a baby soon...as in now but have been here nine months and I hear you need to be insured for a year before being covered for hospitalisation etc. Does this mean that scans, tests etc will not be covered if I get pregnant before the year is up? I also will need a c-section - is this covered and by how much? Do we pay 10% of everything?

Many thanks in advance for info
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank anowheels for this useful post:
  #7  
Old 27.09.2011, 20:00
Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Geneva
Posts: 5
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Nicalf08 has no particular reputation at present
Re: Confusion with basic insurance cover - help please,

No she won't as I never saw her again, feel like going out looking for her with my bill in hand though! As I'd previously called out an ambulance for yet another accident my son had I knew how expensive they were so I would have just got a taxi to the hospital because he was fine but needed checking over as he'd fallen off a climbing frame. However while I was comforting him she called them and they sent out an ambulance and a doctor in a separate car so I have to pay for both I guess I will just have to wait until I hear from the insurance company how much I will actually get back...wish me luck!

And thanks to the last poster (forgotten your username now) as that makes it a lot clearer now.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 04.10.2011, 17:59
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Greater Zürich Area
Posts: 839
Groaned at 112 Times in 70 Posts
Thanked 619 Times in 348 Posts
EPMike has earned the respect of manyEPMike has earned the respect of manyEPMike has earned the respect of many
Re: Confusion with basic insurance cover - help please,

Quote:
View Post
, feel like going out looking for her with my bill in hand though!.
No offense but I wonder if your son got in a serious accident and the same lady would not call the ambulance for fear that someone would hand her a bill, would you still say the same?
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 05.10.2011, 09:33
Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Geneva
Posts: 5
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Nicalf08 has no particular reputation at present
Re: Confusion with basic insurance cover - help please,

That would be a different situation. He was fine and walking around wanting to go back and do what caused the accident in the first place!
Reply With Quote
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Does Swisscare basic insurance cover epidural cost? lausanne_skirt Family matters/health 6 19.01.2011 14:02
Does Swisscare basic insurance cover epidural cost? lausanne_skirt Insurance 3 19.01.2011 13:14
Does basic Swiss health insurance cover bone density testing? little_isabella Insurance 3 21.11.2010 18:38
please help with letter from health insurance company badoshi Insurance 6 25.03.2008 00:04


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 01:48.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0