English Forum Switzerland

English Forum Switzerland (https://www.englishforum.ch/forum.php)
-   Insurance (https://www.englishforum.ch/insurance/)
-   -   Health insurance increases for 2012 (https://www.englishforum.ch/insurance/127213-health-insurance-increases-2012-a.html)

jenny 30.09.2011 18:20

Health insurance increases for 2012
 
Ok, it's my last semi-peaceful day before the madness begins on Monday when the new official and approved premiums for 2012 come out.
*breathes deeply*...

In the meantime, the rumours are that the increase will not be that bad for next year which will come as a nice change for us that have been here for a few years and have endured big increases especially the last 2-3 years.

"Premiums 2012: 2,2% average increase according to the Government.

For BE, GR, NE, OW, TG, TI and VD, the increase is between -1 and 2%.
This is relatively good news as the average increase in the past years was 5.3% and in 2011 was 6.5%.

Statistically, this is the second lowest increase since the LAMal/KVG system was put in place in 1996."

I have heard that Zürich has been hit quite hard though and I know a lot of you are in that canton so just to warn you...

We'll see what happens on Monday I suppose.

Have a good weekend everyone :)

30.09.2011 18:38

Re: Health insurance increases for 2012
 
So wait...there might be a reduction?

jenny 30.09.2011 18:40

Re: Health insurance increases for 2012
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by porsch1909 (Post 1359286)
So wait...there might be a reduction?

Possibly.... though if there is it won't be by much but even so, it's better than an increase!

I think it mainly depends on your postcode but also your deductible, the company you're with etc. etc.

I guess we'll find out on Monday...

Guest 30.09.2011 20:13

Re: Health insurance increases for 2012
 
Actually we were informed by Innova a month or so ago that our premiums would go down by about 1-2% (this is in Bern). Unfortunately for us, we expect to be living in Zurich next year. Oh well.

jenny 30.09.2011 20:19

Re: Health insurance increases for 2012
 
Quote:

Actually we were informed by Innova a month or so ago that our premiums would go down by about 1-2% (this is in Bern). Unfortunately for us, we expect to be living in Zurich next year. Oh well.
Maybe you should check that Innova are competitive in Zürich too then?
If you're definitely moving there, then the 2012 Zürich premiums will be the ones that will affect you the most.

A lot of companies have been announcing their premiums the last few weeks but the official approved ones won't be out until Monday.

Some companies didn't want to increase but when they submitted their premiums to the OFSP in Berne, Berne refused and said they had to increase them anyway so we won't get the definitive ones until Monday.

(Not saying that that will directly affect Innova, just saying :) )

twinkletinker 30.09.2011 22:07

Re: Health insurance increases for 2012
 
Time to Start shopping around..

Guest 01.10.2011 09:00

I'm not really worried about it. I'll check on the price, but unless it's drastically higher than what we paid in Bern, we probably won't bother. I've had craploads of claims this year as I've gone through chemo, rads, and many many doctor's visits and Innova has dealt with all of this efficiently.

jenny 03.10.2011 10:32

Re: Health insurance increases for 2012
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by porsch1909 (Post 1359286)
So wait...there might be a reduction?

Haven't had time to read the whole 1220 page document yet but it looks like the premiums in Tessin have gone down, not sure for the rest of the country yet but that seems to be the only place to have received a reduction.

Guest 05.10.2011 16:30

Re: Health insurance increases for 2012
 
I just checked for Innova - telmed model, 2 adults 300 franchise

In Bern (actually outside of the city of Bern) the reduction was about 1.5, almost 2 %.

For Winterthur, where we're moving to, the increase is more than 10%, maybe 12%

Other insurers are less expensive, so I'll have to do some checking about, thought i've been really happy with Innova, and I have a lot of medical stuff right now.

Does anyone place any stock in the ratings of the various companies on Comparis?

jenny 05.10.2011 16:36

Re: Health insurance increases for 2012
 
Quote:

I just checked for Innova - telmed model, 2 adults 300 franchise

In Bern (actually outside of the city of Bern) the reduction was about 1.5, almost 2 %.

For Winterthur, where we're moving to, the increase is more than 10%, maybe 12%

That is properly Murphy's Law.... :msnsad:

jenny 05.10.2011 16:47

Re: Health insurance increases for 2012
 
Quote:

Does anyone place any stock in the ratings of the various companies on Comparis?
Personally, no....

Well, let's say I take them with a pinch of salt.

Several reasons really.

Sometimes people sign up for insurance companies with different ways of working (e.g. the pharmacy card with companies like Assura and Intras) just because they've seen low premiums on the Comparis website.
Although the information is on there somewhere, not many people read it properly and sign up before realising they have to pay for the medication upfront, for example.

Or maybe you ticked a GP method or a restrictive list or a phone method without realising it.

Then, when people get annoyed six months down the line when they have to pay upfront at the pharmacy or don't get reimbursed because they didn't go through their gateway doctor / phone the number etc. they go on Comparis and give that company a negative rep (or however it works).

I also think it's human nature to complain about things that have really rattled us but to not praise people when they've really helped us.

If you eat in a restaurant and the food comes late and cold and is awful, you're likely to tell everyone you know to never go in there.
If the food is exceptionally excellent then you're also likely to tell people.
If the food is fine, service is fine and you got what you were expecting, for the price you were expecting to pay, you're probably not going to talk about that restaurant unless you get specifically asked about it.
And yet they totally lived up to your expectations.

It's quite sad really when you think about it.

Guest 05.10.2011 17:05

Good point. Far more likely to complain than praise.

So between the end of last December and the last week of September, I have seen a doctor or had a medical procedure every single week, sometimes multiple times per week. My claims have been paid within 3 weeks after submission, I can scan in and email them, and I've had no crap from the insurer. This is why, despite a more than 10% increase, I may not change plans.

jenny 05.10.2011 17:07

Re: Health insurance increases for 2012
 
Quote:

Good point. Far more likely to complain than praise.

So between the end of last December and the last week of September, I have seen a doctor or had a medical procedure every single week, sometimes multiple times per week. My claims have been paid within 3 weeks after submission, I can scan in and email them, and I've had no crap from the insurer. This is why, despite a more than 10% increase, I may not change plans.
Sounds like a good reason to stay with them then :)

Phil_MCR 05.10.2011 17:07

Re: Health insurance increases for 2012
 
how can i get the cheapest health insurance? i've never even registered with a doctor since being here for the last 2.5 years and for me it's just a waste of money, so i'd like to spend as little as possible on it.

jenny 05.10.2011 17:10

Re: Health insurance increases for 2012
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Phil_MCR (Post 1365782)
how can i get the cheapest health insurance? i've never even registered with a doctor since being here for the last 2.5 years and for me it's just a waste of money, so i'd like to spend as little as possible on it.

I've sent you a PM Phil.

One thing you should consider is the deductible. If you're never ever using it and highly unlikely to, then you should go for the highest deductible available.

I had a client once who told me he'd like a 10'000.- deductible and pay 20.- a month, looool.
He looked genuinely upset when I told him that it didn't exist!

jam1 05.10.2011 19:15

Re: Health insurance increases for 2012
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by jenny (Post 1365788)
I've sent you a PM Phil.

One thing you should consider is the deductible. If you're never ever using it and highly unlikely to, then you should go for the highest deductible available.

I had a client once who told me he'd like a 10'000.- deductible and pay 20.- a month, looool.
He looked genuinely upset when I told him that it didn't exist!

Hi Jenny, I would be interested in the same thing as Phil. Looking for insurance for my wife and I.

blitzkrieg 05.10.2011 19:33

Re: Health insurance increases for 2012
 
^^ same here.

Assuming I can get out of my current insurance in case they increase it.

naza 05.10.2011 21:08

Re: Health insurance increases for 2012
 
If i remember well our curent insurance companies should send us an estimate of the new expected cost at which point we can shop around and change insurance company - is this correct? When is this supposed to happen?

jenny 06.10.2011 18:10

Re: Health insurance increases for 2012
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by naza (Post 1366064)
If i remember well our curent insurance companies should send us an estimate of the new expected cost at which point we can shop around and change insurance company - is this correct? When is this supposed to happen?

It isn't an estimate, it's the following years actual premium.

By law they have to send you this in October at some point. You could get it tomorrow or on the 31st.

As the official premiums are already out, you can already start shopping around if you like.

jenny 06.10.2011 18:11

Re: Health insurance increases for 2012
 
Blitzkreig and Jam1 - I have PMed you :)


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 12:33.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0