English Forum Switzerland

English Forum Switzerland (https://www.englishforum.ch/forum.php)
-   Insurance (https://www.englishforum.ch/insurance/)
-   -   Insurance for Children (https://www.englishforum.ch/insurance/128836-insurance-children.html)

ommthree 18.10.2011 11:58

Insurance for Children
 
Hi all,

I pretty much understand the insurance system here (health, invalidity etc) as far as it affect adults. What I'm wondering about is children (we have one due in December).

Does anyone know what would be provided if the child was born disabled, for example, or got something nasty early on? As far as I can see the IV would provide a "helplessness allowance" but obviously no actual pension (as nothing would have been paid in.)

Can anyone clarify the situation for me, and tell me if there's any extra cover I could or should consider purchasing? I know it's very grim to be thinking this way, but I like to be prepared, just in case.


Thanks a lot!

ecb 18.10.2011 12:10

Re: Insurance for Children
 
IV (invalidity insurance provided by the State) is a minefield. We are currently in the throes of an application.

Both IV and health insurance tend to take the approach of considering individual symptoms/therapies required. Many therapies/care provision are covered by the Kanton or by health insurance. But some requirements do fall outside these providers which is when you tend to look towards IV.

There are strict statutory cases into which you must fall for an application to succeed under IV, and some, at first sight, rather strange anomolies. For example, a good friend with a child who has Downs Syndrome has been refused IV cover in respect of the overall syndrome, but has been permitted cover in respect of various costs associate with her little one's difficulties with swallowing. We, on the other hand, do have a statutory category that our son's overall disability falls into, making our application more straightforward (but by no means guaranteed even though his school provision next year depends entirely upon a successful application).

I am not aware of any insurance policy you can get that would cover eventualities such as my friend's child or our case (global developmental delay) but mind you, I never looked into this. I was a "head in the sand" type of gal.

Try not to worry too much.

runningdeer 18.10.2011 12:11

Re: Insurance for Children
 
You will need basic insurance coverage and have the option of supplementary insurance. Some dental insurance is offered through supplemental, so this may be beneficial when they are older. As for disability, I am not sure. One of my children required phyical therapy at 3 months for a condition that appeared after birth although likely existed at birth and it is was fully covered by insurance.

ommthree 18.10.2011 12:59

Re: Insurance for Children
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by runningdeer (Post 1380154)
You will need basic insurance coverage and have the option of supplementary insurance. Some dental insurance is offered through supplemental, so this may be beneficial when they are older. As for disability, I am not sure. One of my children required phyical therapy at 3 months for a condition that appeared after birth although likely existed at birth and it is was fully covered by insurance.

Thanks. Just to clarify, I'm not talking about health insurance. I'm more wondering about income, especially when the child grows up and even more when we're no longer in the picture.

ecb 18.10.2011 14:50

Re: Insurance for Children
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by ommthree (Post 1380212)
Thanks. Just to clarify, I'm not talking about health insurance. I'm more wondering about income, especially when the child grows up and even more when we're no longer in the picture.

That would be IV. The criteria alter (obviously) in adulthood, together with the benefits payable.

ommthree 18.10.2011 14:59

Re: Insurance for Children
 
Yeah. I get that there would be some IV benefit. It's just all so horribly complicated. Seems to me the whole thing needs a bit of a shake up. The concept is sound enough, but the way responsibility is shared between so many different types of insurance seems to me to be a bit mental.

ecb 18.10.2011 15:01

Re: Insurance for Children
 
I wouldn't disagree, but then we are currently navigating that problem at the moment (no one willing to pick up the bill for preschool speech therapy).

Here's hoping you are like the vast majority of parents and never have to discover this underworld.

FriendlyKiwi 18.10.2011 16:30

Re: Insurance for Children
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by ommthree (Post 1380131)
I pretty much understand the insurance system here (health, invalidity etc) as far as it affect adults. What I'm wondering about is children (we have one due in December).

Tell your Health Insurance that a Baby is due, ask them to provide cover from date of birth. This is easy. Just ring the insurance provider and tell them.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ommthree (Post 1380131)
Does anyone know what would be provided if the child was born disabled, for example, or got something nasty early on? As far as I can see the IV would provide a "helplessness allowance" but obviously no actual pension (as nothing would have been paid in.)

You are covered. And trying to say what you are covered for is impossible, because you don't know what, or even if, the baby will have a disability.

But honestly, having had 3 x children myself, there is no point going through life creating "what if" scenarios for every bad event you can think off. You'll have grey hairs by the age of 25 and make yourself sick from worry.

Set yourself up with normal health insurance for the family. That's all you need to do.

Should the worst happen and your child be one of the <1% that are disabled, then the Swiss IV system kicks into place. But why worry in advance?

If you wish to worry in advance, then go the whole hog and create hundreds of doomsday scenarios which you can prepare for.
Start building your nuclear bunker now...

18.10.2011 16:38

Re: Insurance for Children
 
You can talk to your health insurance company about insuring for invalidity, but I think the cost would be very high. The Government funded IV is active upon birth. http://www.bsv.admin.ch/themen/iv/00...x.html?lang=en

Nobody has mentioned that you must arrange health insurance before labour starts. You will only start paying the premium once the baby is born, but the health insurance must be accepted and in place before the birth.

It is also worthwhile having the supplemental health insurance as this covers "Teeth straightening" and ambulances etc.

I would advise having your baby in a large Cantonal hospital, the smaller ones cannot cope with serious problems.

ommthree 18.10.2011 17:48

Re: Insurance for Children
 
Thanks everyone.

The health insurance is all fixed up already, and so is the hospital, which seemed lovely. No worries there at all. I'm very glad not to be doing it in the UK, or Germany, or anywhere else I've lived to be honest!

ommthree 18.10.2011 17:48

Re: Insurance for Children
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by ecb (Post 1380423)
I wouldn't disagree, but then we are currently navigating that problem at the moment (no one willing to pick up the bill for preschool speech therapy).

Here's hoping you are like the vast majority of parents and never have to discover this underworld.

Thanks. And best of luck with your claims!

FriendlyKiwi 20.10.2011 08:38

Re: Insurance for Children
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Monikkya (Post 1382226)
I want to know that what is the appropriate insurance for new born babies? And how to avail it? Thank you in advance!!

Ring your health insurance company and ask them.

It varies between insurance companies, but almost all of them offer some "Family" package, which tends to fit best.

You must confirm your insurance wishes BEFORE the birth date to ensure full cover.

You can do everything with one simply phone call.


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 13:55.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0