Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Insurance  
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17.12.2011, 18:48
GVAbound's Avatar
Junior Member
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Geneva
Posts: 73
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 18 Times in 9 Posts
GVAbound has no particular reputation at present
Taking out separate permanent total or partial disablement insurance in Switzerland

This might be a bit of a technical question but hopefully there are some experts on the forum who might be able to point me in the right direction.

My husband is going to start up his own business (a SARL/GMBH). For obvious reasons he doesn't want to draw a salary until it is established and starts bringing in some income. We have been told that it is possible to draw a salary on paper but not take it out of the company. This means you set up AVS/AVI and LPP (the pillar 1 and 2) etc and therefore have an insurance element for incapacity.

The problem with this is that even if he doesn't draw out the salary, we will be taxed as if he is. As the tax rate is based on the combination of both our salaries, then it will be far higher than if just the nominal amount he would be (paper) withdrawing. Moreover, if for the first year there is no salary withdrawn and the income is retained within the company to help it grow, then presumably we would just be taxed on the basis of one person in the family earning (hence lower tax band as well).

I understand the need to set something up to cover the insurance costs - but it seems to be a very expensive way to do it. Has anyone ever come across international incapacity insurance that we could get separately? Or does anyone know if there are any legal / tax reasons why this cannot be done?

Thank you hugely in advance for any suggestions!
Reply With Quote
Old 17.12.2011, 19:19
Sbrinz's Avatar
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Murten - Morat
Posts: 11,866
Groaned at 563 Times in 354 Posts
Thanked 11,548 Times in 5,941 Posts
Sbrinz has a reputation beyond reputeSbrinz has a reputation beyond reputeSbrinz has a reputation beyond reputeSbrinz has a reputation beyond reputeSbrinz has a reputation beyond reputeSbrinz has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Taking out separate permanent total or partial disablement insurance in Switzerla

SUVA is a non commercial accident insurance in Switzerland. This company is the usual one companies choose for their employee accident insurance. They state they can insure self employed people too. (Voluntary insurance according to the AIL )

Download here, "Verfügbarkeit: nur Download möglich"


Suva Genève

réception lundi-jeudi 8h-12h et 13.30-17h
vendredi 8h-12h et 13h30-16h30

rue Ami-Lullin 12
1207 Genève
P.O. Box
1211 Genève 3

Phone: 022 707 84 04
Reply With Quote
Old 17.12.2011, 21:35
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Switzerland, Aargau
Posts: 138
Groaned at 3 Times in 3 Posts
Thanked 45 Times in 29 Posts
Caribeangeorge has made some interesting contributions
Re: Taking out separate permanent total or partial disablement insurance in Switzerla

SUVA is a great choice, but they don't take everyone, only risky jobs.
For desktop jobs, they will refuse.

I would start with 1500.- IF you have kids, you'll get child support. But you don't have to pay BVG yet.
You have to pay AVH, EO etc.
Accident insurance will be mandatory. BU and NBU

The company still owes you this money, with interest BTW.

BUT, from something you have to make a living. You ether have to show some savings you could live on or you will be questioned if you taking some "black" money out of the company.

YOU are NOT required to draw a salary - there is no minimum wage introduced yet here in Switzerland. (This said, I read today that in the French part is seems so) You can declare yourself as "no income", then you have to pay AHV as no-income, around 470.- a year.
EO would not be charged and no accident insurance will be mandatory.

BUT again, you will then be asked from what you make a living.
If your partner works and has income, great.

Don't forget to deduct EVERYTHING, deduct more, the tax office will scratch off what they don't like.

And first 2/3 years you have to make a loss - it's the law :grin:
"Every once in a while, declare peace. It confuses the hell out of your enemies"
Reply With Quote

business, incapacity, insurance, tax

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Taking money out of Switzerland nickatbasel Finance/banking/taxation 38 23.01.2019 11:36
Taking pension out of Switzerland yermiyahu Leaving Switzerland 68 24.03.2012 11:05
Good holiday resort or place to check out in or near Switzerland? hollisterb Daily life 8 15.01.2010 20:10

All times are GMT +2. The time now is 11:09.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0