Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Insurance  
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12.12.2017, 18:39
fatmanfilms's Avatar
Forum Legend
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Verbier
Posts: 19,051
Groaned at 392 Times in 297 Posts
Thanked 18,884 Times in 10,171 Posts
fatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Accident Insurance while unemployed...

View Post
There are two different situations.

If you receive (are due for this month) RAV payments you're automatically insured against accidents, that's what FMF refers to. Since you're registered with RAV now this probably applies to you.

Your question further up however is on people who don't receive RAV payments. In such a case you can get accident insurance from your mandatory health insurance. In fact you can tick that option anytime but it's useless while you're employed so you pay more than necessary.

RAV (or unemployment insurance, to be a bit more precise) is an insurance (that pays in case of joblessness). From this institution's point of view the clients are "Versicherte", insured people, hence the wording.
You have to be entitled to a rahemnfrist & open one to be covered. Just registering which anyone can do is not the same.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank fatmanfilms for this useful post:
Old 13.12.2017, 01:51
Senior Member
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Zurich
Posts: 350
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 178 Times in 123 Posts
AlreadyPacked has earned some respectAlreadyPacked has earned some respect
Re: Accident Insurance while unemployed...

View Post
Hi Odile, I think you missed my previous post I called the RAV and they told me that I was supposed to be insured by my most recent employer (as I stopped working there on the 9th of this month), my employer contacted me and told me they had insured me and they would pay for it for 6 months after I had left the company
If you are on the RAV be careful about how long you are sick. You will only receive payments for 30 calendar days sick, and in one year a total of 45 calendar days (not 100% on total days). It was explained to me that RAV is unemployment insurance not long term sickness insurance. I spoke to some Swiss friends and they told me they take out separate long term sickness insurance while on RAV.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank AlreadyPacked for this useful post:

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Renting while unemployed Dack Rambo Housing in general 7 18.06.2011 12:44
Canton Change while being unemployed Sahasrara Permits/visas/government 42 10.01.2011 13:09
Been involved in accident while travelling on a bus markandsona Insurance 4 03.11.2010 20:30
Take an offer-- or not-- while unemployed?? ladyofzlac Employment 17 07.03.2010 13:07
Setting a business as a freelance while unemployed pepper8915 Business & entrepreneur 11 30.04.2008 12:37

All times are GMT +2. The time now is 21:27.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0