English Forum Switzerland

English Forum Switzerland (https://www.englishforum.ch/forum.php)
-   Insurance (https://www.englishforum.ch/insurance/)
-   -   Is it worth changing your health insurance company? (https://www.englishforum.ch/insurance/163103-worth-changing-your-health-insurance-company.html)

josep 27.11.2012 19:09

Is it worth changing your health insurance company?
 
Hello,

I am with a health insurance company since June and so far everything was right, nor troubles at all. That said, I did not use much of it, but what I did, worked quite good, nothing to complain.

The problem is that, from January 1st the premium will grow 20%.

I checked how much I would pay from January with a different health insurance company, and, I could save exactly this 20%.

My question is, is it worth to change to another health insurance company?

I am afraid that my experience in the new one could be worse, or that they can state that the medical services I might need come from problems I had in the past.

Any experience or advice?

Maybe simpler to pay 20% and stay like that, but it makes me somehow hungry to face such a grow in the premium. :msnsarcastic:

drmom 27.11.2012 19:14

Re: Is it worth changing your health insurance company?
 
Pretty sure you can't just change your insurance when you want to - usually there is an enrollment period once a year, I believe. Although maybe that time is now? Hopefully the experts will soon be on...

Phil_MCR 27.11.2012 19:15

Re: Is it worth changing your health insurance company?
 
now is the time. you have until the end of the month.

i'll get 100chfs more beer money next year...

josep 27.11.2012 19:20

Re: Is it worth changing your health insurance company?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by drmom (Post 1729517)
Pretty sure you can't just change your insurance when you want to - usually there is an enrollment period once a year, I believe. Although maybe that time is now? Hopefully the experts will soon be on...

Exactly, I have till the end of the month to do it.

josep 27.11.2012 19:21

Re: Is it worth changing your health insurance company?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Phil_MCR (Post 1729520)
now is the time. you have until the end of the month.

i'll get 100chfs more beer money next year...

you mean, 100chf per month or for all year?

Sean Connery 27.11.2012 19:22

Re: Is it worth changing your health insurance company?
 
your registered letter must arrive on or before 30th November. So you have 2 days to get a new policy AND quit.

josep 27.11.2012 19:27

Re: Is it worth changing your health insurance company?
 
Please, I understand this part, thank you.

What about my question? ;)

Sean Connery 27.11.2012 19:32

Re: Is it worth changing your health insurance company?
 
I'm changing the family and saving 300 a month.

Of course the basic is worth changing!

anowheels 27.11.2012 19:49

Re: Is it worth changing your health insurance company?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by josep (Post 1729514)
Hello,

I am with a health insurance company since June and so far everything was right, nor troubles at all. That said, I did not use much of it, but what I did, worked quite good, nothing to complain.

The problem is that, from January 1st the premium will grow 20%.

I checked how much I would pay from January with a different health insurance company, and, I could save exactly this 20%.

My question is, is it worth to change to another health insurance company?

I am afraid that my experience in the new one could be worse, or that they can state that the medical services I might need come from problems I had in the past.

Any experience or advice?

Maybe simpler to pay 20% and stay like that, but it makes me somehow hungry to face such a grow in the premium. :msnsarcastic:

Do you have just basic insurance? Then change if you would like - a new company cannot deny you basic insurance or coverage, even for preexisting conditions. Do you also have a supplemental insurance? Then it's possible the new company may not cover you for supplemental insurance. Also, it may be too late to cancel supplemental insurance with your current company, depending on your contract and whether the rates for the supplemental insurance also rose.

josep 27.11.2012 20:02

Re: Is it worth changing your health insurance company?
 
I have both basic and extra coverage. I already checked that can withdraw both till the end of month.


Now to the point, do you think it is worth the risk to have a bad experience with next company?

To which one did you change this year?

Trikk 27.11.2012 20:10

Re: Is it worth changing your health insurance company?
 
Im changing every year. Only bad experience was with EGK as they asked quite soon 50chf per month more. But other than that never had any bad experiences :)

kngavl 27.11.2012 20:25

Re: Is it worth changing your health insurance company?
 
I'm guessing that everyone got the letter about your rates going up?
I'm up +10% with Atupri.

Guest 27.11.2012 20:29

Re: Is it worth changing your health insurance company?
 
josep are you aware that another company may well refuse to give you any supplementary Insurance, like private, etc? They are only obliged to accept you for basic.

The whole thing is quite complicated, and I'm afraid you have very little time to do all the necessary research into all the ins and outs. Change in haste and it might turn out great, or not.

josep 27.11.2012 20:33

Re: Is it worth changing your health insurance company?
 
Quote:

josep are you aware that another company may well refuse to give you any supplementary Insurance, like private, etc? They are only obliged to accept you for basic.

The whole thing is quite complicated, and I'm afraid you have very little time to do all the necessary research into all the ins and outs. Change in haste and it might turn out great, or not.
I am aware Odile, thank's.

So seem most of people change every year their companies without much trouble. Also asked other people outside the forums, and seem people bounce from one insurance to the other every year, quite strange ;), but well, suppose it's like that.


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 14:24.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0