Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Insurance  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #41  
Old 13.12.2012, 16:59
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Strange swiss law about basic insurance

Quote:
View Post
3. Health Insurance LOOSES the money you are owing them for the time you came here and you were de-facto covered by the Swiss Health Care system. Even if you didn't get sick, that doesn't mean that you don't need to pay. 4. I am affected and all the rest who pay up for their insurance from day one while you get a free ride on us for the 3 months you skip insurance
Whatever buddy, they didn't loose out on anything. Nothing in = Nothing out simple as that.

Now I'd love to hear exactly how I got a free ride off you or anyone else for that matter by not claiming ANYTHING from the health insurance in the first 3 months here.
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 13.12.2012, 17:03
yjt yjt is offline
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Aargau
Posts: 586
Groaned at 12 Times in 10 Posts
Thanked 601 Times in 261 Posts
yjt has a reputation beyond reputeyjt has a reputation beyond reputeyjt has a reputation beyond reputeyjt has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Strange swiss law about basic insurance

Quote:
View Post
Whatever buddy, they didn't loose out on anything. Nothing in = Nothing out simple as that.

Now I'd love to hear exactly how I got a free ride off you or anyone else for that matter by not claiming ANYTHING from the health insurance in the first 3 months here.
I haven't claimed anything of them for 12 years. Should I just stop paying?
Reply With Quote
The following 4 users would like to thank yjt for this useful post:
  #43  
Old 13.12.2012, 17:06
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Strange swiss law about basic insurance

Quote:
View Post
I haven't claimed anything of them for 12 years. Should I just stop paying?
Where did I say that? 3 months is a little different to 12 years. 3 months is a small risk, however I would never advocate not having health insurance beyond that time.
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old 13.12.2012, 17:22
FriendlyKiwi's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Shoppinzentrum
Posts: 1,782
Groaned at 19 Times in 15 Posts
Thanked 914 Times in 551 Posts
FriendlyKiwi has a reputation beyond reputeFriendlyKiwi has a reputation beyond reputeFriendlyKiwi has a reputation beyond reputeFriendlyKiwi has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Strange swiss law about basic insurance

Quote:
View Post
Yeah, it's illegal however all things considered I believe it's a risk worth taking. It's one of the few opportunities in Switzerland where you'll get to save a few bucks without leaving anyone out of pocket. And at the end of the day I think it makes life that little bit more interesting when you don't always play by the rules.
Thanks for your openness.
I forwarded your post to my friend the insurance inspector.
He's quite interested to talk to you and will be in touch shortly.
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank FriendlyKiwi for this useful post:
  #45  
Old 13.12.2012, 17:38
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Strange swiss law about basic insurance

Quote:
View Post
Thanks for your openness.
I forwarded your post to my friend the insurance inspector.
He's quite interested to talk to you and will be in touch shortly.
Ahh cool, once he catches up with me I'll be sure to ask if he's not after Sammy Jankis, before inviting him in to deep throat my nine.
Reply With Quote
  #46  
Old 13.12.2012, 18:03
drmom's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Somewhere in SG
Posts: 2,341
Groaned at 12 Times in 12 Posts
Thanked 2,187 Times in 1,050 Posts
drmom has a reputation beyond reputedrmom has a reputation beyond reputedrmom has a reputation beyond reputedrmom has a reputation beyond reputedrmom has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Strange swiss law about basic insurance

Quote:
View Post
Whatever buddy, they didn't loose out on anything. Nothing in = Nothing out simple as that.

Now I'd love to hear exactly how I got a free ride off you or anyone else for that matter by not claiming ANYTHING from the health insurance in the first 3 months here.

for crick-cracking-sake it's lose not loose in that context... Pet peeve of mine...rant over

And stop trying to beat/cheat the system. It isn't worth the effort. How do you sleep at night? (sarcasm alert)
Reply With Quote
  #47  
Old 13.12.2012, 18:06
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: suburbs of LA, USA
Posts: 934
Groaned at 11 Times in 10 Posts
Thanked 873 Times in 439 Posts
BrianJW has a reputation beyond reputeBrianJW has a reputation beyond reputeBrianJW has a reputation beyond reputeBrianJW has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Strange swiss law about basic insurance

Quote:
View Post
Whatever buddy, they didn't loose out on anything. Nothing in = Nothing out simple as that.

Now I'd love to hear exactly how I got a free ride off you or anyone else for that matter by not claiming ANYTHING from the health insurance in the first 3 months here.
Yes but if you did get sick then you said you would start paying health insurance.

How could health insurance companies possibly make money if people only joined when they get seriously ill? Oh, I didn't want to pay chf200 per month but now I have "insert serious medical condition in here" and NOW i will give you 200chf per month but heres my first invoice for 4,000chf tests/ operation.

If you thought you were risking 3 months and if you got sick that was on you (you would pay your own medical costs) that would be a risk you were taking, still not legal here, but at least a lot more ethically correct.

Maybe for every 1,000 of people like you who do this only 5 or so get seriously sick but who is covering their costs? That`s the question.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank BrianJW for this useful post:
  #48  
Old 13.12.2012, 18:10
yjt yjt is offline
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Aargau
Posts: 586
Groaned at 12 Times in 10 Posts
Thanked 601 Times in 261 Posts
yjt has a reputation beyond reputeyjt has a reputation beyond reputeyjt has a reputation beyond reputeyjt has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Strange swiss law about basic insurance

Quote:
View Post
Where did I say that? 3 months is a little different to 12 years. 3 months is a small risk, however I would never advocate not having health insurance beyond that time.
What difference does it make how long it is? You said

Quote:
View Post
Perhaps in the States but not here. How is it abusing the system?
  • It's only for 3 months
  • If you get sick you start paying the insurance
  • If you don't get sick you start paying anyway after 3 months
  • Health insurance doesn't loose out because you didn't claim when you were healthy
  • No ones premium goes up as a result
  • NO ONE else is affected
  • Most people that come to Switzerland are covered by the health insurance from their home country for the first 3 months anyhow.
  • Well how long it is is irrelevant.
  • If I get sick I'll just start repaying
  • I've paid in for 15 years which is longer than many on here will ever pay into the system so the system is well up on me
  • No ones premium goes up as a result
  • NO ONE else is affected
  • Why should we care if people double insure themselves?
So what makes 3 months a magical cut off point?
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank yjt for this useful post:
  #49  
Old 13.12.2012, 18:35
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Strange swiss law about basic insurance

Quote:
View Post
Yes but if you did get sick then you said you would start paying health insurance.

How could health insurance companies possibly make money if people only joined when they get seriously ill? Oh, I didn't want to pay chf200 per month but now I have "insert serious medical condition in here" and NOW i will give you 200chf per month but heres my first invoice for 4,000chf tests/ operation.

If you thought you were risking 3 months and if you got sick that was on you (you would pay your own medical costs) that would be a risk you were taking, still not legal here, but at least a lot more ethically correct.

Maybe for every 1,000 of people like you who do this only 5 or so get seriously sick but who is covering their costs? That`s the question.
If I would have got a terrible illness like cancer or so in the first 3 months of being here then I most likely would have pissed off back to where I came from. I mean who would want to fight something like that with no support network of family or friends to help you? And if you were seriously ill then I think a lot of companies may terminate your contract in the probation period which also happens to be 3 months.

Given my age and previous health the worst that was likely happened would be a trip to the Hausartz which costs about 100 bucks. My monthly premium is around 350chf so even if I had to go and started paying that month then the 100 bucks wouldn't touch my excess so the insurance company would still be up.
Reply With Quote
  #50  
Old 13.12.2012, 18:42
Mica's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Zurich
Posts: 936
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 1,199 Times in 534 Posts
Mica has a reputation beyond reputeMica has a reputation beyond reputeMica has a reputation beyond reputeMica has a reputation beyond reputeMica has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Strange swiss law about basic insurance

Quote:
View Post
Yeah yeah yeah, it's illegal but it's hardly up there with human trafficking or rape. All I think its it's good way to save a few bucks in your first months in Switzerland and you're unlikely to caught and NO ONE is loosing out.
They call it "public health insurance" for a reason. Everybody is losing out if someone does not pay for the first few months that they are in fact covered by the insurance.

Quote:
View Post
Yeah, it's illegal however all things considered I believe it's a risk worth taking. It's one of the few opportunities in Switzerland where you'll get to save a few bucks without leaving anyone out of pocket. And at the end of the day I think it makes life that little bit more interesting when you don't always play by the rules.
Good luck ever getting a visa to the US with fraud or falsification of documents rap on your record... and I would strongly advise against lying on any US immigration forms...
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Mica for this useful post:
  #51  
Old 13.12.2012, 18:43
adrianlondon's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Basel
Posts: 9,131
Groaned at 170 Times in 153 Posts
Thanked 25,643 Times in 6,892 Posts
adrianlondon has a reputation beyond reputeadrianlondon has a reputation beyond reputeadrianlondon has a reputation beyond reputeadrianlondon has a reputation beyond reputeadrianlondon has a reputation beyond reputeadrianlondon has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Strange swiss law about basic insurance

I think I will start doing this with house insurance.

I got broken into a year or so ago, but for the other 364 days of that year nothing bad happened. I don't see why I can't pay for my insurance only for the one day that I claim. For all the other days I'm paying for nothing!!
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank adrianlondon for this useful post:
  #52  
Old 13.12.2012, 18:45
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Strange swiss law about basic insurance

Quote:
View Post
What difference does it make how long it is? You said


  • Well how long it is is irrelevant.
  • If I get sick I'll just start repaying
  • I've paid in for 15 years which is longer than many on here will ever pay into the system so the system is well up on me
  • No ones premium goes up as a result
  • NO ONE else is affected
  • Why should we care if people double insure themselves?
So what makes 3 months a magical cut off point?
The fact that after 3 months your Gemeinder will buy your insurance for you! If this would be a longer period of time then I wouldn't recommend it in the same way I wouldn't recommend not having health insurance.

Look, it's a trick. That's all, not a lifestyle choice. Something I used to save a fair amount of money. It's just something you can do. If you feel uncomfortable then don't do it.
Reply With Quote
  #53  
Old 13.12.2012, 18:56
yjt yjt is offline
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Aargau
Posts: 586
Groaned at 12 Times in 10 Posts
Thanked 601 Times in 261 Posts
yjt has a reputation beyond reputeyjt has a reputation beyond reputeyjt has a reputation beyond reputeyjt has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Strange swiss law about basic insurance

Quote:
View Post
The fact that after 3 months your Gemeinder will buy your insurance for you! If this would be a longer period of time then I wouldn't recommend it in the same way I wouldn't recommend not having health insurance.

Look, it's a trick. That's all, not a lifestyle choice. Something I used to save a fair amount of money. It's just something you can do. If you feel uncomfortable then don't do it.
But you do recommend not having health insurance for three months - or rather you recommend not paying for your health insurance for three months.

I'm not bothered about you doing this or not but all your points defending it are wrong. Our premiums do go up due to people not sharing the risk at the start which affects us and the system loses out on money used to cover your risk.

In the example above you said if you get cancer you'd go home. Well Who's gonna be paying for all the expensive tests to diagnose it? What if you only got a bad food poisoning and had to stay in hospital for 3 days? With tests that's easily 6k.

If you just admitted your cheating the system but the damage your causing to the system is in your opinion minimal rather than refusing to admit that you cause any damage, you'd have a lot less people on your back.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank yjt for this useful post:
  #54  
Old 13.12.2012, 18:57
ali_the_nomad's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Zurich
Posts: 317
Groaned at 6 Times in 6 Posts
Thanked 333 Times in 164 Posts
ali_the_nomad has a reputation beyond reputeali_the_nomad has a reputation beyond reputeali_the_nomad has a reputation beyond reputeali_the_nomad has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Strange swiss law about basic insurance

While Loz has done something a little dodgy it's far from the worst case of wriggling out of a payment. Why else is this country so wealthy?

I'm sure the UK exchequer would rather have the tax on the profits earned in the UK that have been declared here.

Let he who is without sin cast the first stone (as long as everyone has insurance to cover the costs of injury).
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank ali_the_nomad for this useful post:
  #55  
Old 13.12.2012, 19:07
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Strange swiss law about basic insurance

Quote:
View Post
01


Good luck ever getting a visa to the US with fraud or falsific
ation of documents rap on your record... and I would strongly advise against lying on any US immigration forms...
Why would I want to go to the US?
Reply With Quote
  #56  
Old 13.12.2012, 19:13
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Strange swiss law about basic insurance

Quote:
View Post
But you do recommend not having health insurance for three months - or rather you recommend not paying for your health insurance for three months.

I'm not bothered about you doing this or not but all your points defending it are wrong. Our premiums do go up due to people not sharing the risk at the start which affects us and the system loses out on money used to cover your risk.

In the example above you said if you get cancer you'd go home. Well Who's gonna be paying for all the expensive tests to diagnose it? What if you only got a bad food poisoning and had to stay in hospital for 3 days? With tests that's easily 6k.

If you just admitted your cheating the system but the damage your causing to the system is in your opinion minimal rather than refusing to admit that you cause any damage, you'd have a lot less people on your back.
But no ones yet explained how anyone could possibly have lost out when I paid nothing in yet took nothing out. Nobody was cheated. It was a risk I took knowing I was fit and healthy. If I would have got sick I would have cheated the system, but I didn't, so I didn't.
Reply With Quote
  #57  
Old 13.12.2012, 19:14
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Strange swiss law about basic insurance

Quote:
View Post
While Loz has done something a little dodgy it's far from the worst case of wriggling out of a payment. Why else is this country so wealthy?

I'm sure the UK exchequer would rather have the tax on the profits earned in the UK that have been declared here.

Let he who is without sin cast the first stone (as long as everyone has insurance to cover the costs of injury).
Exactly what he said.
Reply With Quote
  #58  
Old 13.12.2012, 19:16
dhimmelsbach's Avatar
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Zug
Posts: 11
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
dhimmelsbach has no particular reputation at present
Re: Strange swiss law about basic insurance

This is normal and you have to be registered from day one.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank dhimmelsbach for this useful post:
  #59  
Old 13.12.2012, 19:20
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: suburbs of LA, USA
Posts: 934
Groaned at 11 Times in 10 Posts
Thanked 873 Times in 439 Posts
BrianJW has a reputation beyond reputeBrianJW has a reputation beyond reputeBrianJW has a reputation beyond reputeBrianJW has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Strange swiss law about basic insurance

Quote:
View Post
While Loz has done something a little dodgy it's far from the worst case of wriggling out of a payment. Why else is this country so wealthy?

I'm sure the UK exchequer would rather have the tax on the profits earned in the UK that have been declared here.

Let he who is without sin cast the first stone (as long as everyone has insurance to cover the costs of injury).
Whether that is ethical or not may be a question. It is however perfectly legal as long as you are complying with both UK law and Swiss law.
Reply With Quote
  #60  
Old 13.12.2012, 19:23
poptart's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Boston
Posts: 1,785
Groaned at 33 Times in 28 Posts
Thanked 3,013 Times in 1,242 Posts
poptart has a reputation beyond reputepoptart has a reputation beyond reputepoptart has a reputation beyond reputepoptart has a reputation beyond reputepoptart has a reputation beyond reputepoptart has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Strange swiss law about basic insurance

Quote:
View Post
And at the end of the day I think it makes life that little bit more interesting when you don't always play by the rules.
Boy, are you in the wrong country.... I had a side turn signal light out once (not the rear, but the side), took it by the garage, and the woman at the desk gasped and went inside to get a mechanic to come change it immediately because it was such a risk (and a huge fine). If getting huge fines for breaking the rules is your definition of interesting, well, then you're in nirvana. Otherwise, not so much.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank poptart for this useful post:
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Everything about Basic health insurance in a PDF nasa2000 Insurance 4 20.08.2012 00:27
which insurance company (in Lausanne) is good for baby's basic insurance? lausanne_skirt Insurance 5 02.12.2010 17:28
Does basic Swiss health insurance cover bone density testing? little_isabella Insurance 3 21.11.2010 18:38
Worried about strange noises in appartment electrics Thandeka Other/general 6 28.06.2010 15:26
Law about food contents? [or: Transfat in Swiss products] muze7 Food and drink 23 04.10.2007 17:14


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 15:05.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0