Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Insurance  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 15.12.2012, 18:21
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Zurich
Posts: 168
Groaned at 17 Times in 7 Posts
Thanked 34 Times in 21 Posts
digitsclimb has become a little unpopular
Insurance Coverage for Pregnancy and Birth

Hi,

I am a bit confused. My wife has the basic insurance here in Switzerland (I understand they are all the same coverage). We are going to have a baby in April and have been going to the doctor.

What is not clear to me is if the pre-natal visits and hospital stay for the birth is included in the "selbsbehalt". It is clearly listed in the insurance information that we get 8 visits and that the inpatient care is covered. But does that mean its covered but we have to pay the first 2000 CHF (the selbstbehalt amount).

Its really very confusing. I've even had this conversation with the insurance broker and decided not to lower the selbstbehalt because he led me to believe all the birth related stuff is just "covered". But now I've heard conflicting things. The bills are actually not even sent to us but to the insurance directly. And they have not billed us....yet.

Thanks
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 15.12.2012, 19:23
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Switzerland
Posts: 299
Groaned at 67 Times in 27 Posts
Thanked 219 Times in 111 Posts
UktoSwiss is considered a nuisanceUktoSwiss is considered a nuisanceUktoSwiss is considered a nuisance
Re: Insurance Coverage for Pregnancy and Birth

Your insurance broker is right; whatever the excess pregnancy-related costs are entirely paid by the insurance, with no contribution from yourself. Unless there are complications, where things can become...complicated.

Notice that your insurer can make "mistakes" (never in your favour...). Always check that you are paying for things you shouldn't.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 15.12.2012, 21:38
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Zurich
Posts: 168
Groaned at 17 Times in 7 Posts
Thanked 34 Times in 21 Posts
digitsclimb has become a little unpopular
Re: Insurance Coverage for Pregnancy and Birth

Quote:
View Post
Your insurance broker is right; whatever the excess pregnancy-related costs are entirely paid by the insurance, with no contribution from yourself. Unless there are complications, where things can become...complicated.

Notice that your insurer can make "mistakes" (never in your favour...). Always check that you are paying for things you shouldn't.
Thank you. Very helpful
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 15.12.2012, 21:51
Pernilleskokken's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Zürich
Posts: 370
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 250 Times in 117 Posts
Pernilleskokken has earned the respect of manyPernilleskokken has earned the respect of manyPernilleskokken has earned the respect of many
Re: Insurance Coverage for Pregnancy and Birth

Please read this post about medication and non-normal pregnancy costs.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 27.12.2012, 16:41
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Rorbas
Posts: 46
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 12 Times in 9 Posts
MissScotland has no particular reputation at present
Re: Insurance Coverage for Pregnancy and Birth

Hi there - I am in exactly the same position as your wife. I have only basic care health insurance with a chf 2,500 excess. I have had a nightmare with my insurance company getting them to actually answer my basic questions about 'now that I am pregnant what should I do to ensure that I do'. All they could talk about was my unpaid bill.....and so it went on. After a complete hormonal tantrum which included tears I was eventually put through (after more than 4 calls and 8 transfers) to my hero. He confirmed that basic insurance covers me for:

5 Gynae Visits
2 Ultrasound Scans
Giving birth

and that none of this is billed or included as part of the excess. Because of former complications and my age I have been advised to get a Gynae to validate me as a 'high risk' which apparently covers me for a little more - I think one more scan and 8 visits.

The fact that my husband also pays insurance and is clearly essential in the mix counts for nothing.

I have heard however, horror stories about complications such as needing a c-section, so I have been advised to fully discuss this at the outset with the Gynae.

I hope this helps but if anyone can talk me through basis insurance and what this means for me in more detail I would be eternally grateful. Also any help as to how I go about upgrading? I seem to have so many problems getting this type of information clearly and concisely over the phone. x Thanks
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 04.01.2013, 15:48
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Lausanne
Posts: 167
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 159 Times in 48 Posts
JanieCH is considered knowledgeableJanieCH is considered knowledgeableJanieCH is considered knowledgeable
Re: Insurance Coverage for Pregnancy and Birth

I am also pregnant (due in June) and had a long talk with a friend of mine who is a "baby planner" (don't ask....). This is my second (my first was born in Canada) so I had a good idea of what questions to ask. My friend told me that the following things are covered, 100%, no deductible:

- 7 visits with a gynecologist
- 2 ultrasounds (12 & 22 weeks) though she said some insurance providers will reimburse a third
- all of the standard tests and blood work (I just had a whole bunch done, but I couldn't even tell you what they were) -- the genetic defect tests are NOT covered
- 100 CHF for prenatal classes
- 3 breastfeeding consultations
- vaginal delivery (if you have to visit the hospital in the weeks / days before the deliver, if you are overdue for example, this counts as part of the delivery costs)
- 1 post-partum visit with your gynecologist
- daily visits from a midwife for the first 10 days post-partum

Basically, if you have a normal pregnancy with no complications, everything will be covered. I didn't even ask what would happen in the case of a "complication", but at any rate if that were to happen we would do what was necessary for the health of the baby and myself and deal with the costs later, so no need to worry about it prematurely.

I hope that helps. Good luck to all of the pregnant ladies!

Last edited by JanieCH; 04.01.2013 at 16:22.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 04.01.2013, 16:16
Kat_eurodiva's Avatar
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Zug
Posts: 42
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 17 Times in 14 Posts
Kat_eurodiva has no particular reputation at present
Re: Insurance Coverage for Pregnancy and Birth

just don't make the mistake I did when you go to the hospital to pre-register (during one of their "Futur Eltern" nights, for example) thinking you have halbprivat insurance when you really only have allgemein. That was a costly little mistake, to the tune of 3500 chf.
but, that was the only thing i paid for. i was overdue and had all the homeopathic help (nettle oil, herbal tea) which i was supposed to pay extra for but didn't actually end up seeing on the bill. (thank you SanSan). also the extra charge for my husband staying in the room w/ me on my 2nd pre-delivery night - labor was SLOW never made it on the bill.
this was at the Kantonsspital in Zug. lovely team of midwives there.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Kat_eurodiva for this useful post:
  #8  
Old 04.01.2013, 16:23
Carlos R's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Roundn'about Basel
Posts: 7,237
Groaned at 105 Times in 95 Posts
Thanked 9,933 Times in 4,177 Posts
Carlos R has a reputation beyond reputeCarlos R has a reputation beyond reputeCarlos R has a reputation beyond reputeCarlos R has a reputation beyond reputeCarlos R has a reputation beyond reputeCarlos R has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Insurance Coverage for Pregnancy and Birth

Don't forget that different insurers might offer different packages.

@ any and all women going through birth in CH for the first time, good luck, but remember to pre-register your child with their insurance company well ahead of the day. Ideally before it reaches "viable" age.

This means that on or soon after the birth you need to complete a little form with date or birth and birth details and send to the insurer. But insurance will have been set up before hand (this does not cost you anything extra).

This way if there are any complications with the birth - and sorry, this does happen - your child will be fully covered with no exclusions.

Also, while I think about it, if you are having a planned c-section, try to get early in the month - health insurance, and thus fees, covers the whole month, irrespective of if born on the 1st or the 31st. What a cheapskate I am.
__________________
Never let right or wrong get in the way of a good opinion
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 04.01.2013, 16:32
little_isabella's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Zurich
Posts: 1,095
Groaned at 18 Times in 15 Posts
Thanked 1,387 Times in 550 Posts
little_isabella has a reputation beyond reputelittle_isabella has a reputation beyond reputelittle_isabella has a reputation beyond reputelittle_isabella has a reputation beyond reputelittle_isabella has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Insurance Coverage for Pregnancy and Birth

Quote:
View Post

Also, while I think about it, if you are having a planned c-section, try to get early in the month - health insurance, and thus fees, covers the whole month, irrespective of if born on the 1st or the 31st. What a cheapskate I am.
Not necessarily cheap but maybe not fully informed.

http://www.webmd.com/baby/news/20110...term-pregnancy

Ladies, please don't schedule a c-section earlier unless you're advised to for medical reasons.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 04.01.2013, 17:10
Carlos R's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Roundn'about Basel
Posts: 7,237
Groaned at 105 Times in 95 Posts
Thanked 9,933 Times in 4,177 Posts
Carlos R has a reputation beyond reputeCarlos R has a reputation beyond reputeCarlos R has a reputation beyond reputeCarlos R has a reputation beyond reputeCarlos R has a reputation beyond reputeCarlos R has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Insurance Coverage for Pregnancy and Birth

Quote:
View Post
Not necessarily cheap but maybe not fully informed.

http://www.webmd.com/baby/news/20110...term-pregnancy

Ladies, please don't schedule a c-section earlier unless you're advised to for medical reasons.


You completely missed a lighthearted jest. Nevermind.

When picking a date for a c-section (if one is needed) the Dr will usually discuss the available dates - this is usually a range of 2-3 days about 1-max 2 weeks ahead of the "planned" due date. No earlier and no later.

In some instances this could cover the dates over the end of a month and into the next. That's all.

Misinformed indeed. Have you had a c-section in CH? In which case you would know what I am talking about, based on the 3 we've had, and not including the 1st emergency one
__________________
Never let right or wrong get in the way of a good opinion
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 04.01.2013, 17:28
3Wishes's Avatar
Moderately Amused
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Bern area
Posts: 10,605
Groaned at 77 Times in 74 Posts
Thanked 17,461 Times in 7,860 Posts
3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Insurance Coverage for Pregnancy and Birth

Carlos, I don't get it. How does being baby being born on the 1st or the 31st impact what insurance will or won't pay?? If my insurance premium is for the year?
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 04.01.2013, 17:40
Carlos R's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Roundn'about Basel
Posts: 7,237
Groaned at 105 Times in 95 Posts
Thanked 9,933 Times in 4,177 Posts
Carlos R has a reputation beyond reputeCarlos R has a reputation beyond reputeCarlos R has a reputation beyond reputeCarlos R has a reputation beyond reputeCarlos R has a reputation beyond reputeCarlos R has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Insurance Coverage for Pregnancy and Birth

Quote:
View Post
Carlos, I don't get it. How does being baby being born on the 1st or the 31st impact what insurance will or won't pay?? If my insurance premium is for the year?
Child's insurance starts from the month is it born (in the first year).

e.g. if born on 28th August, you will pay all of August through to end of year, i.e. 5 months, then annually. Same amount as if born on 1st August (and no, they don't get free CH citizenship). If born on 30th March, you pay all of March (i.e. from 1st) through to end of year, i.e. 10 months. There is no pro rata for the first month.

Really, it was a throwaway remark. It does little to premiums when they are so low anyway. The important bit is to register your unborn baby with the insurance company, ideally towards the end of the second trimester. It means it is done nice and early and won't get forgotten in the final push to the line, if you'll allow the pun.
__________________
Never let right or wrong get in the way of a good opinion
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 04.01.2013, 17:46
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Zurich
Posts: 3,466
Groaned at 17 Times in 15 Posts
Thanked 1,992 Times in 1,185 Posts
CH_Me has a reputation beyond reputeCH_Me has a reputation beyond reputeCH_Me has a reputation beyond reputeCH_Me has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Insurance Coverage for Pregnancy and Birth

Quote:
View Post
Child's insurance starts from the month is it born (in the first year).

e.g. if born on 28th August, you will pay all of August through to end of year, i.e. 5 months, then annually. Same amount as if born on 1st August (and no, they don't get free CH citizenship). If born on 30th March, you pay all of March (i.e. from 1st) through to end of year, i.e. 10 months. There is no pro rata for the first month.
Our insurer offered the month of birth free. Mine had to be born at the end of the month
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank CH_Me for this useful post:
  #14  
Old 04.01.2013, 17:49
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Insurance Coverage for Pregnancy and Birth

Quote:
View Post
I am also pregnant (due in June) and had a long talk with a friend of mine who is a "baby planner" (don't ask....). This is my second (my first was born in Canada) so I had a good idea of what questions to ask. My friend told me that the following things are covered, 100%, no deductible:

- 7 visits with a gynecologist
- 2 ultrasounds (12 & 22 weeks) though she said some insurance providers will reimburse a third
- all of the standard tests and blood work (I just had a whole bunch done, but I couldn't even tell you what they were) -- the genetic defect tests are NOT covered
- 100 CHF for prenatal classes
- 3 breastfeeding consultations
- vaginal delivery (if you have to visit the hospital in the weeks / days before the deliver, if you are overdue for example, this counts as part of the delivery costs)
- 1 post-partum visit with your gynecologist
- daily visits from a midwife for the first 10 days post-partum

Basically, if you have a normal pregnancy with no complications, everything will be covered. I didn't even ask what would happen in the case of a "complication", but at any rate if that were to happen we would do what was necessary for the health of the baby and myself and deal with the costs later, so no need to worry about it prematurely.

I hope that helps. Good luck to all of the pregnant ladies!
That was very detailed and highly informative. Thanks Janie, much appreciated.

Are you or anyone here able to estimate the total costs for all the above treatment you've mentioned, which doesn't eat into your deductible?

The reason for asking is that we are with UK Axa Prestige cover and the total they will pay out for normal pregnancy is 10k GBP and all complications (including c section) are covered up to 2M GBP.

Last edited by justarandomguy02; 04.01.2013 at 17:55. Reason: Extra info
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 04.01.2013, 17:50
Carlos R's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Roundn'about Basel
Posts: 7,237
Groaned at 105 Times in 95 Posts
Thanked 9,933 Times in 4,177 Posts
Carlos R has a reputation beyond reputeCarlos R has a reputation beyond reputeCarlos R has a reputation beyond reputeCarlos R has a reputation beyond reputeCarlos R has a reputation beyond reputeCarlos R has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Insurance Coverage for Pregnancy and Birth

Quote:
View Post
Our insurer offered the month of birth free. Mine had to be born at the end of the month
Haha. We are with Assura - cheapest of the cheap. No discounts for us.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 04.01.2013, 18:02
little_isabella's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Zurich
Posts: 1,095
Groaned at 18 Times in 15 Posts
Thanked 1,387 Times in 550 Posts
little_isabella has a reputation beyond reputelittle_isabella has a reputation beyond reputelittle_isabella has a reputation beyond reputelittle_isabella has a reputation beyond reputelittle_isabella has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Insurance Coverage for Pregnancy and Birth

Quote:
Our insurer offered the month of birth free. Mine had to be born at the end of the month
Second to that as ours did too.

Quote:
Misinformed indeed. Have you had a c-section in CH? In which case you would know what I am talking about, based on the 3 we've had, and not including the 1st emergency one
There's no need to be so defensive! ;p One doesn't need to have a c-section to post the link I shared nor does it even matter where in the world it is. I was genuinely concerned that you thought scheduling a c-section earlier in the month rather than later had no potentially negative consequences (and that others reading might think so too). The two weeks earlier maximum date you suggest is challenged in the study. A doctor may indeed okay it as many around the world do, but new research suggests it's best not to plan it earlier (unless there's a medical reason to do so).

Quote:
Are you or anyone here able to estimate the total costs for all the above treatment you've mentioned, which doesn't eat into your deductible?
I believe mine was around the ten grand mark and that was for an uncomplicated pregnancy. I also checked out of the hospital the morning after the night I delivered.

Edit: I'll try to pull up my old bills and update this post with a more precise number. I have copies of all the bills, including the midwife and hospital ones. Everything was covered except for some on-call cost pertaining to the midwife and also a birth registration fee from the hospital. I've attached a copy of information in English on basic insurance, which includes pregnancy. Hope it helps! =)
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Swiss health insurance overview.pdf (1.03 MB, 578 views)

Last edited by little_isabella; 04.01.2013 at 18:10. Reason: Adding a download for extra info
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 04.01.2013, 18:09
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Insurance Coverage for Pregnancy and Birth

I believe mine was around the ten grand mark and that was for an uncomplicated pregnancy. I also checked out of the hospital the morning after the night I delivered.[/QUOTE]

Ten grand in chuffs or GBP? Did you go for the 1st, 2nd or 3rd class?

When I asked the question about the class of treatment, the nurses couldn't give me a good concise comparable breakdown and apparently majority go for the 3rd class and it's not much different to the first two classes.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 04.01.2013, 18:15
little_isabella's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Zurich
Posts: 1,095
Groaned at 18 Times in 15 Posts
Thanked 1,387 Times in 550 Posts
little_isabella has a reputation beyond reputelittle_isabella has a reputation beyond reputelittle_isabella has a reputation beyond reputelittle_isabella has a reputation beyond reputelittle_isabella has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Insurance Coverage for Pregnancy and Birth

Quote:
Ten grand in chuffs or GBP? Did you go for the 1st, 2nd or 3rd class?

When I asked the question about the class of treatment, the nurses couldn't give me a good concise comparable breakdown and apparently majority go for the 3rd class and it's not much different to the first two classes.
It's CHF. Just basic insurance and I had a scan with each ob/gyn visit, which were all covered. In my case, checking out the next morning meant I never had to share a room as I just left the delivery room. I felt much more comfortable recuperating at home, but I definitely understand how some women choose to stay (and how others must do so for medical reasons) longer.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank little_isabella for this useful post:
  #19  
Old 04.01.2013, 20:27
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Lausanne
Posts: 167
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 159 Times in 48 Posts
JanieCH is considered knowledgeableJanieCH is considered knowledgeableJanieCH is considered knowledgeable
Re: Insurance Coverage for Pregnancy and Birth

Quote:
View Post
That was very detailed and highly informative. Thanks Janie, much appreciated.

Are you or anyone here able to estimate the total costs for all the above treatment you've mentioned, which doesn't eat into your deductible?

The reason for asking is that we are with UK Axa Prestige cover and the total they will pay out for normal pregnancy is 10k GBP and all complications (including c section) are covered up to 2M GBP.
I am less than 4 months in have had two gyneco visits, one ultrasound and a bunch of blood tests and it's already cost about 1000 CHF (I'm still awaiting reimbursement....).
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 22.03.2013, 13:51
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Zurich
Posts: 73
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 57 Times in 31 Posts
tryingtolikech has earned some respecttryingtolikech has earned some respect
Swisscare Re: Insurance Coverage for Pregnancy

I am getting exceptional service (and coverage) from Swisscare!

So, I am also pregnant and have insurance with Swisscare (as a student).

I recently submitted my receipts for up to now for 2013 (all of them from Unispital Zurich).

They are reimbursing everything, except for Elevit Pronatal (prenatal vitamins, they are considered a nutrition supplement, cost is negligible, about CHF20 per month).

Some other medication (extra magnesium and iron) is covered, but I have not reached my franchise of CHF300 yet, so I still have to pay.

Important: One of the visits was not planned (I went to the emergency room after an emergency). They also fully covered this one (even though I suppose it should be considered a "complication").

All in all, Swisscare is amazing considering how low-cost it is. The only disadvantage is that you have to pay first and get reimbursed later, which might be a problem for someone's cash flow.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
birth, deductible franchise, insurance, pregnancy, selbsbehalt




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Pregnancy and Birth in Lugano LuxLisbon Family matters/health 20 31.10.2012 17:10
Pregnancy and insurance rppinto Insurance 9 23.02.2012 00:23
Health Insurance - Grundversicherung: mandated coverage and pre-existing conditions backtoch Insurance 4 27.12.2011 15:13
Nutritionist bills coverage during Pregnancy wildboar Insurance 1 25.06.2010 09:48
Pregnancy and birth (Pre-natal class in Vevey/Montreux) Nevy Family matters/health 1 06.05.2009 10:59


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 22:38.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0