Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Insurance  
View Poll Results: How helpful did you find these FAQs
Very helpful - answered my questions 146 56.37%
Helpful - gave me opportunity to find out more 110 42.47%
Not helpful - already knew all the answers 3 1.16%
Voters: 259. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #421  
Old 23.10.2017, 09:17
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Mies
Posts: 959
Groaned at 14 Times in 10 Posts
Thanked 720 Times in 407 Posts
catandmouse has earned the respect of manycatandmouse has earned the respect of manycatandmouse has earned the respect of many
Re: Health Insurance FAQs

Quote:
View Post
"Accident Insurance"
The insured person has ordered insurance together with Accident insurance. And he/she starts to work and the employer starts to pay this Accident Insirance, but money has been paid already by this person.
1. Is it possible to refund the prepaid money for this Accident Insurance?
2. Is it possible to update the insurance and stop to pay for this Accident Insurance?

Details:
I'm preparing new Insurance for my wife (Assura, Ärztenetzwerk). She doesn't work now, so I'm ordering insurance with Accident Insurance.
Assura has a discount if I pay full 1 year in January (I save approx 56 CHF per year). So, I want to pay a full 2018 year together in January.
For example, my wife finds the work in February. The accident insurance is already paid by us for full year, and an employer also pays this money?
What I can do? to ask money refund from Assura? Or just forget about this money (approx.180 CHF per 11 months)?

Or I just should pay monthly and to ask insurance contract's update as soon as conditions are changed?
Why don't you just ask Assura? They'll give you a more accurate response than anyone here. I would imagine that as the accident coverage can be contracted at any time, they would recalculate the yearly premium and refund any excess amount paid.
Reply With Quote
  #422  
Old 23.10.2017, 12:04
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Zurich
Posts: 898
Groaned at 5 Times in 5 Posts
Thanked 477 Times in 300 Posts
simple_person has earned the respect of manysimple_person has earned the respect of manysimple_person has earned the respect of many
Re: Health Insurance FAQs

We were in similar situation with Assura. When my wife started working, we informed them and they adjusted the excess money paid towards accident insurance with the next invoice. We had half yearly payments.

They have a form in their customer portal to include/exclude accident insurance.

Quote:
View Post
"Accident Insurance"
The insured person has ordered insurance together with Accident insurance. And he/she starts to work and the employer starts to pay this Accident Insirance, but money has been paid already by this person.
1. Is it possible to refund the prepaid money for this Accident Insurance?
2. Is it possible to update the insurance and stop to pay for this Accident Insurance?

Details:
I'm preparing new Insurance for my wife (Assura, Ärztenetzwerk). She doesn't work now, so I'm ordering insurance with Accident Insurance.
Assura has a discount if I pay full 1 year in January (I save approx 56 CHF per year). So, I want to pay a full 2018 year together in January.
For example, my wife finds the work in February. The accident insurance is already paid by us for full year, and an employer also pays this money?
What I can do? to ask money refund from Assura? Or just forget about this money (approx.180 CHF per 11 months)?

Or I just should pay monthly and to ask insurance contract's update as soon as conditions are changed?
Reply With Quote
  #423  
Old 23.10.2017, 12:18
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Lenzburg
Posts: 7
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
RuMo has no particular reputation at present
Quote:
View Post
Why don't you just ask Assura? They'll give you a more accurate response than anyone here. I would imagine that as the accident coverage can be contracted at any time, they would recalculate the yearly premium and refund any excess amount paid.
Thank you!

I don't speak German, so it's a bit complicated for me to ask directly. OK, I will try to write email and/or call to Assura.

I also think the refund is a standard procedure if something is updated, but you are right, only insurance company knows the correct answer.
Preliminary I think better for me to pay per an year and get discount and try to get back money if status of the insured person is changed.

Quote:
View Post
We were in similar situation with Assura. When my wife started working, we informed them and they adjusted the excess money paid towards accident insurance with the next invoice. We had half yearly payments.

They have a form in their customer portal to include/exclude accident insurance.
OK, thanks a lot! Now it's much more clear for me.

Last edited by 3Wishes; 23.10.2017 at 12:27. Reason: merging consecutive replies
Reply With Quote
  #424  
Old 27.10.2017, 16:45
Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Ferney-Voltaire
Posts: 7
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
awan has no particular reputation at present
Re: Health Insurance FAQs

The three months deadline to choose a mandatory health insurance provider is calculated from the date of arrival on the carte de legitimation, am I right?

What if I have the carte de legitimation, but I live in Ferney-Voltaire, France, am I still considered a resident of Switzerland?
Reply With Quote
  #425  
Old 27.10.2017, 16:52
Spinal's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Zurich
Posts: 1,336
Groaned at 11 Times in 10 Posts
Thanked 1,311 Times in 572 Posts
Spinal has a reputation beyond reputeSpinal has a reputation beyond reputeSpinal has a reputation beyond reputeSpinal has a reputation beyond reputeSpinal has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Health Insurance FAQs

Quote:
View Post
The three months deadline to choose a mandatory health insurance provider is calculated from the date of arrival on the carte de legitimation, am I right?

What if I have the carte de legitimation, but I live in Ferney-Voltaire, France, am I still considered a resident of Switzerland?
First point: yes
Second point: I believe so, do you have a B permit or a cross border permit?
Reply With Quote
  #426  
Old 27.10.2017, 17:02
Medea Fleecestealer's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Switzerland
Posts: 22,147
Groaned at 409 Times in 317 Posts
Thanked 17,127 Times in 9,633 Posts
Medea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Health Insurance FAQs

Quote:
View Post
First point: yes
Second point: I believe so, do you have a B permit or a cross border permit?
No, he has a carte de legitimation which is a NGO permit.

You're resident where you live so France, not Switzerland. Not sure if you get the choice between Swiss and French health insurance.
Reply With Quote
  #427  
Old 27.10.2017, 17:22
Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Ferney-Voltaire
Posts: 7
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
awan has no particular reputation at present
Quote:
View Post
First point: yes
Second point: I believe so, do you have a B permit or a cross border permit?
Is permit the same as carte de legitimation? So far I only have the carte, type H.

Hmm.. If I am already a resident of Switzerland, then I have to take the compulsory health insurance provider within these three months. But, how am I supposed to take one when I don't have a Swiss address? Can i use my work address?

Quote:
View Post
No, he has a carte de legitimation which is a NGO permit.

You're resident where you live so France, not Switzerland. Not sure if you get the choice between Swiss and French health insurance.
Oh ok. So am I considered a cross-border worker/frontalier? Because some insurance providers differentiate the rates between residents and frontaliers.

Another question, if let's say I move to Geneva next year, how would they calculate the three months deadline? from the day I reside in Switzerland, or still from the date of my carte de legitimation?

Last edited by 3Wishes; 28.10.2017 at 20:14. Reason: merging consecutive replies
Reply With Quote
  #428  
Old 27.10.2017, 19:28
Medea Fleecestealer's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Switzerland
Posts: 22,147
Groaned at 409 Times in 317 Posts
Thanked 17,127 Times in 9,633 Posts
Medea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Health Insurance FAQs

You are NOT a resident of Switzerland. You live in France so that's where you're resident. Check with your NGO about health insurance since it seems you may be exempted.

"Exceptions

There are some exceptions to this rule, even if a person is resident in Switzerland:
•Pensioners who draw a pension exclusively in an EU or EFTA state.
•People who work in an EU or EFTA state.
•Students who are temporarily resident in Switzerland and have comparable insurance.
Staff of international organisations, embassies and consulates."

https://www.ch.ch/en/health-insurance-foreigners/

This exemption, if it applies, would still be in force even if you move.
Reply With Quote
  #429  
Old 30.10.2017, 09:32
Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Ferney-Voltaire
Posts: 7
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
awan has no particular reputation at present
Re: Health Insurance FAQs

I am not considered a staff actually, more like individual contractor / consultant. From this link here I do have to take out health insurance: https://www.eda.admin.ch/missions/mi...insurance.html

I asked the cantonal office about this, and he seems to not know the answer to this too
Reply With Quote
  #430  
Old 30.10.2017, 10:19
Medea Fleecestealer's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Switzerland
Posts: 22,147
Groaned at 409 Times in 317 Posts
Thanked 17,127 Times in 9,633 Posts
Medea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Health Insurance FAQs

Quote:
View Post
I am not considered a staff actually, more like individual contractor / consultant. From this link here I do have to take out health insurance: https://www.eda.admin.ch/missions/mi...insurance.html

I asked the cantonal office about this, and he seems to not know the answer to this too
From your link:

"All persons domiciled in Switzerland must, in principle, be insured for sickness and accidents within three months of taking up residence, or from the time of birth in Switzerland."

Again you are not domiciled in Switzerland, but in France.

Did you contact this organisation for advice?

Specialist Contact

Permanent Mission of Switzerland to UNOG
Office of Privileges & immunities
Rue de Varembé 9-11
P.O. Box 194
CH-1211 Geneva 20
Tel.: +41 (0)58 482 24 24
Fax: +41 (0)58 482 24 37

They are likely the only ones who can confirm that even though you hold a carte de legitimation "H" because you're resident in France you don't need to take out Swiss health insurance.

If you move to Switzerland then yes, with a carte de legitimation "H" you would need to take out Swiss health insurance.
Reply With Quote
  #431  
Old 16.11.2017, 11:51
dannyt986's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Wollerau, Schwyz
Posts: 1,834
Groaned at 26 Times in 19 Posts
Thanked 727 Times in 487 Posts
dannyt986 has a reputation beyond reputedannyt986 has a reputation beyond reputedannyt986 has a reputation beyond reputedannyt986 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Health Insurance FAQs

Sorry if its been addressed before, but are step changes in risk group/premium normal on reaching milestone birthdays eg 50, 60 etc.

My premiums is going up c.10% whereas my wifes is a more reasonable 3%, the only difference I can see is I turned 50 this year.
Reply With Quote
  #432  
Old 16.11.2017, 15:27
DUTCH's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Wollerau
Posts: 417
Groaned at 7 Times in 7 Posts
Thanked 690 Times in 255 Posts
DUTCH has a reputation beyond reputeDUTCH has a reputation beyond reputeDUTCH has a reputation beyond reputeDUTCH has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Health Insurance FAQs

Quote:
View Post
Sorry if its been addressed before, but are step changes in risk group/premium normal on reaching milestone birthdays eg 50, 60 etc.

My premiums is going up c.10% whereas my wifes is a more reasonable 3%, the only difference I can see is I turned 50 this year.
Indeed they are, especially for the supplementary insurances, as you move from one age bracket to the next. Some insurers have 5 year buckets as well. And apparently only the year of birth is taken into account, irrespective of date/month e.g. 2002 (dec-30) is classed in 16-20year bucket for 2018 premiums, as CSS explained to me.
Reply With Quote
  #433  
Old 16.11.2017, 16:01
Belgianmum's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Neuchâtel
Posts: 13,056
Groaned at 228 Times in 192 Posts
Thanked 21,561 Times in 8,834 Posts
Belgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Health Insurance FAQs

Quote:
View Post
Indeed they are, especially for the supplementary insurances, as you move from one age bracket to the next. Some insurers have 5 year buckets as well. And apparently only the year of birth is taken into account, irrespective of date/month e.g. 2002 (dec-30) is classed in 16-20year bucket for 2018 premiums, as CSS explained to me.
Only for the supplementary insurance actually and each company can decide on their own age brackets.

For basic insurance there are three age ranges 0-18, 19-25 and 26+ so there should be no difference between a thirty year old and a fifty five year old for identical cover in the same postcode area.


https://fr.comparis.ch/krankenkassen...ar/altersstufe

Your second point is correct. Our son was born in December 1999 but will have to pay the young adult rate for the whole of 2018 despite only being 18 for most of the year.
Reply With Quote
  #434  
Old 02.01.2018, 16:54
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Geneva
Posts: 1
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
RachelFenty has no particular reputation at present
Re: Health Insurance FAQs

My other half joined me here in August - he hasn't received his permit yet and wants to sort his health insurance. He had 3 months of cover under his EU card because he was on chomage transferred from the unemployment office in Luxembourg. We are now coming to the end of the 3 months after that to sign up but are seemingly not able to buy insurance because:
- he doesn't have a permit yet
- he has an attestation from the office de population that does not provide his date of entry (apparently standard with attestions when you don't have a job)
- he (according to one provider he did get somewhere with) is not on the LaMAL list

What more can we do? I don't want to risk him being uninsured. Are we going to get fined? How do we progress this?

He has spoken many times to the office de population and they have not been able to provide any information on timescale of application for his permit.

Thanks for any ideas.

Rachel
Reply With Quote
  #435  
Old 02.01.2018, 17:27
Medea Fleecestealer's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Switzerland
Posts: 22,147
Groaned at 409 Times in 317 Posts
Thanked 17,127 Times in 9,633 Posts
Medea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Health Insurance FAQs

Did they give a reason why it's taking so long?

I would have thought the attestation would have an entry date on it since that would be the date he applied for his permit surely.

He will need to apply for an AHV number - not sure if that comes from the insurer or here:

https://www.ahv-iv.ch/en/Social-insu...h-insurance-KV

Contact them and see what they advise.
Reply With Quote
  #436  
Old 03.01.2018, 15:25
jenny's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: La Tour-de-Peilz (near Vevey)
Posts: 482
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 256 Times in 119 Posts
jenny has a reputation beyond reputejenny has a reputation beyond reputejenny has a reputation beyond reputejenny has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Health Insurance FAQs

AVS number is a separate thing but yes, he will have to apply for that at some point too.
You don't need his permit in order to apply, just proof that he has registered. The attestation does this however, you will need a new one with his arrival date on it in order to apply for the health insurance since they will need to know which date he arrived in Switzerland.
He will have to pay from his arrival date in any case.
If it is too far back, they may put a more recent date and "fine" you for the time between his arrival date and the start date of the insurance. This is generally a percentage of what he should have paid.

- he (according to one provider he did get somewhere with) is not on the LaMAL list


What does this mean?
There is no LAMal list?
__________________
Inswift Sàrl
Reply With Quote
  #437  
Old 22.03.2018, 19:24
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Zurich
Posts: 1
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
dargispa has no particular reputation at present
Re: Health Insurance FAQs

This has been very useful. I thought I had read somewhere that health insurance was also partially based on location of residence. We are currently outside of Zurich temporarily while we wait for our things to arrive and find an apartment, but will likely end up in the city. This will all happen within 6-weeks from our arrival. Should we wait to get health insurance until we have our apartment and register in the new district or should we just get the health insurance now? Many thanks!
Reply With Quote
  #438  
Old 26.03.2018, 13:05
jenny's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: La Tour-de-Peilz (near Vevey)
Posts: 482
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 256 Times in 119 Posts
jenny has a reputation beyond reputejenny has a reputation beyond reputejenny has a reputation beyond reputejenny has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Health Insurance FAQs

Quote:
View Post
This has been very useful. I thought I had read somewhere that health insurance was also partially based on location of residence. We are currently outside of Zurich temporarily while we wait for our things to arrive and find an apartment, but will likely end up in the city. This will all happen within 6-weeks from our arrival. Should we wait to get health insurance until we have our apartment and register in the new district or should we just get the health insurance now? Many thanks!
You need to be registered as residents to apply for Swiss health insurance so until you register there isn't much you can do (other than start shopping around I suppose).
Depending on your current and future postcodes, the tariff for the basic insurance may or may not change. If it will, then I would advise looking at the tariffs/companies in the new postcode area as those are the ones which are going to affect you long term.
As a general rule, in those cantons where there are several tariff zones, the premiums are generally more expensive in the town centres than on the outskirts (ZH1 vs ZH3 ; VD1 vs VD2 etc.).

If you sign up now and then move and your premium goes up, this does not allow you to cancel early. The insurance will simply "follow" you to the new address. Same goes for liability and contents insurance.
__________________
Inswift Sàrl
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank jenny for this useful post:
  #439  
Old 04.05.2018, 15:32
Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Zurich
Posts: 2
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
tmoro has no particular reputation at present
Re: Health Insurance FAQs

Hi,

This is my first post here, so apologies if this question has already been covered !!

Basically my situation is that I have been in Zurich for an initial 90 days from the UK without the need to get a permit. However, due to work commitments and needed to stay beyond this time and there got an L Permit. As part of the L Permit i need to get health insurance "within 3 months" however, I will be leaving Switzerland for good before this 3 month period is up.

My question then is do i still need to get health insurance for the 2 month period or because it is within the 3 month period i dont need to?

Hope that all makes sense....its still all a bit confusing to me so any help is much appreciated.

Thanks
Reply With Quote
  #440  
Old 04.05.2018, 15:41
Medea Fleecestealer's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Switzerland
Posts: 22,147
Groaned at 409 Times in 317 Posts
Thanked 17,127 Times in 9,633 Posts
Medea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Health Insurance FAQs

You have two options since your UK EHIC card isn't valid now you've registered as being a resident. Either get the insurance for those months or risk doing without - bearing in mind that if you do need any medical attention/help the full cost will come out of your own pocket with no chance of claiming anything back.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
health, insurance, insurance related, sticky thread




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Tip for people who want to keep EU health insurance muze7 Other/general 24 27.10.2016 09:31
Visiting a doc without health insurance!! Nickers Insurance 14 25.10.2011 13:26
Smoking & Health Insurance Nickers Complaints corner 21 07.08.2007 22:29
Insurance and insurance companies mark Complaints corner 5 16.01.2006 20:38


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 11:16.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0