Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Insurance  
View Poll Results: How helpful did you find these FAQs
Very helpful - answered my questions 146 56.37%
Helpful - gave me opportunity to find out more 110 42.47%
Not helpful - already knew all the answers 3 1.16%
Voters: 259. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #441  
Old 04.05.2018, 16:15
Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Zurich
Posts: 2
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
tmoro has no particular reputation at present
Re: Health Insurance FAQs

Hey,

thanks for getting back to me . My concern was when i come to de-register i might have to back pay insurance although if that isnt within the 3 months that might not be the case
Reply With Quote
  #442  
Old 21.06.2018, 17:37
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Zurich
Posts: 2
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
daveO has no particular reputation at present
Re: Health Insurance FAQs

Hi All

I have a question which I didn't find through browsing, but maybe it's been discussed before.

I know that for most insurances the doctor's and pharmacies can send bills directly.

For others, this doesn't happen and one has to send them to the insurance and then pay the doctor etc.

I am trying to ind out which ones do pay directly to the doctors and pharmacies.

I am especially interested in KPT.

I hope someone can help.

Many thanks in advanced.

DaveO
Reply With Quote
  #443  
Old 21.06.2018, 18:35
Salad Days's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Geneva
Posts: 386
Groaned at 12 Times in 8 Posts
Thanked 292 Times in 128 Posts
Salad Days has made some interesting contributions
Re: Health Insurance FAQs

Quote:
View Post
Hi All

I know that for most insurances the doctor's and pharmacies can send bills directly.

For others, this doesn't happen and one has to send them to the insurance and then pay the doctor etc.

I am trying to ind out which ones do pay directly to the doctors and pharmacies.
I use CSS and most of my bills are sent directly to them without issue. However, a few aren't and I'm not really clear if that is a function of the particular business you are at not agreeing.
Reply With Quote
  #444  
Old 21.06.2018, 19:56
3Wishes's Avatar
Moderately Amused
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Bern area
Posts: 11,143
Groaned at 87 Times in 83 Posts
Thanked 18,853 Times in 8,394 Posts
3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Health Insurance FAQs

I think it's more to do with the doctor than the insurance. If the doctor's office has an agreement with your insurance company they can do a direct bill. Then the insurance company bills you for the balance due depending on your franchise/deductible. If not, the doctor sends the bill to you. You pay it and then submit your proof of payment along with the insurance copy of the bill to the insurance company.

I was with KPT for a few years and that's how it worked for me.
Reply With Quote
  #445  
Old 21.06.2018, 21:03
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Zurich
Posts: 2
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
daveO has no particular reputation at present
Re: Health Insurance FAQs

Thank you for your response.

From my experience, both myself and my wife have been on atupri and Helsana and the bills were always sent to the insurance directly.

Now we are both on Assura (to save a little) and whenever I go to the pharmacy they ask for our insurance cards and as they see Assura they say that I will have to sent it directly. This has been with all pharmacies I have been to. Same with the doctor's bills.

Now I need insurance for a baby we are expecting but don't want the bother of having to send the bills myself and the constant fight with insurance to get the money while my doctor's bills are overdue, as has been happening with all my wife's pregnancy related doctor's bills.

Thanks for your response.

I hope to get some more clarity on the matter.

Would you however say that your experience with KPT was positive?

Thank you.

Best regards,
DaveO
Reply With Quote
  #446  
Old 21.06.2018, 21:23
3Wishes's Avatar
Moderately Amused
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Bern area
Posts: 11,143
Groaned at 87 Times in 83 Posts
Thanked 18,853 Times in 8,394 Posts
3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Health Insurance FAQs

Quote:
View Post
Would you however say that your experience with KPT was positive?
Yes, it was positive. We never had anything denied, they were always prompt with our paperwork, and when I had surgery they handled all the paperwork between my surgeon and the hospital and I never even saw a bill.

They supply stickers for you to use on the bills that you have to self-pay. One sticker has a barcode with the patient's name and you stick that on the copy of the bill that goes to insurance. Place the copy in an envelope along with proof of payment. The other is an address sticker that you put on the outside of the envelope so there's no addressing hassle.
Reply With Quote
  #447  
Old 21.06.2018, 21:25
curley's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: canton ZH
Posts: 12,650
Groaned at 206 Times in 171 Posts
Thanked 14,470 Times in 7,479 Posts
curley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Health Insurance FAQs

Quote:
View Post
I think it's more to do with the doctor than the insurance. If the doctor's office has an agreement with your insurance company they can do a direct bill. Then the insurance company bills you for the balance due depending on your franchise/deductible. If not, the doctor sends the bill to you. You pay it and then submit your proof of payment along with the insurance copy of the bill to the insurance company.

I was with KPT for a few years and that's how it worked for me.
Yes it has to do with the doctor's.

Which reminds me, mine changed praxis and said, they can now send bills directly to the insurance - but sent the last one to me. I have to follow that up, so thanks.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank curley for this useful post:
  #448  
Old 05.08.2018, 19:18
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: ZŁrisee
Posts: 200
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 43 Times in 24 Posts
qomototoro has earned some respectqomototoro has earned some respect
Re: Health Insurance FAQs

I have a question in regards to the insurance claims statements. For every claim we receive the paperwork which adds up very fast and Iíve only been here for a bit over a year. Do we need to keep these papers? Or can we just throw them away?
Reply With Quote
  #449  
Old 05.08.2018, 20:00
Salad Days's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Geneva
Posts: 386
Groaned at 12 Times in 8 Posts
Thanked 292 Times in 128 Posts
Salad Days has made some interesting contributions
Re: Health Insurance FAQs

Quote:
View Post
I have a question in regards to the insurance claims statements. For every claim we receive the paperwork which adds up very fast and Iíve only been here for a bit over a year. Do we need to keep these papers? Or can we just throw them away?
I don't know who you are with, but the various insurance companies I am familiar with have online data, so you can at least check your online account and for things that are there, discard hard copies.
Reply With Quote
  #450  
Old 06.08.2018, 22:33
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: ZŁrisee
Posts: 200
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 43 Times in 24 Posts
qomototoro has earned some respectqomototoro has earned some respect
Re: Health Insurance FAQs

Quote:
View Post
I don't know who you are with, but the various insurance companies I am familiar with have online data, so you can at least check your online account and for things that are there, discard hard copies.
Iím with Swica. Iím not sure if they offer an online account..
Reply With Quote
  #451  
Old 07.08.2018, 12:10
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Switzerland
Posts: 31
Groaned at 3 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 45 Times in 22 Posts
pingwing has become a little unpopularpingwing has become a little unpopular
Re: Health Insurance FAQs

Hello. I have one query about Health Insurance. For how long after leaving Switzerland (how many months) does the insurance policy rest compulsory and valid? When do I have to tell my insurance company I am leaving?
Reply With Quote
  #452  
Old 07.08.2018, 12:18
Medea Fleecestealer's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Switzerland
Posts: 22,141
Groaned at 406 Times in 315 Posts
Thanked 17,122 Times in 9,629 Posts
Medea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Health Insurance FAQs

When you deregister it becomes invalid since it's only for residents. You should tell them as soon as you know you're leaving permanently.
Reply With Quote
  #453  
Old 07.08.2018, 12:26
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Switzerland
Posts: 31
Groaned at 3 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 45 Times in 22 Posts
pingwing has become a little unpopularpingwing has become a little unpopular
Re: Health Insurance FAQs

Quote:
View Post
When you deregister it becomes invalid since it's only for residents. You should tell them as soon as you know you're leaving permanently.
Thank you for your answer. But is it certain I don't have to keep it and pay for it for at least three (or even six) months? I read about it somewhere but can't find it now. Perhaps for certain categories of people or certain destinations?
Reply With Quote
  #454  
Old 05.09.2018, 23:23
Pilieich's Avatar
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Zurich
Posts: 46
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 13 Times in 8 Posts
Pilieich has no particular reputation at present
Re: Health Insurance FAQs

Quote:
View Post
Thank you for your response.

From my experience, both myself and my wife have been on atupri and Helsana and the bills were always sent to the insurance directly.

Now we are both on Assura (to save a little) and whenever I go to the pharmacy they ask for our insurance cards and as they see Assura they say that I will have to sent it directly. This has been with all pharmacies I have been to. Same with the doctor's bills.

Now I need insurance for a baby we are expecting but don't want the bother of having to send the bills myself and the constant fight with insurance to get the money while my doctor's bills are overdue, as has been happening with all my wife's pregnancy related doctor's bills.

Thanks for your response.

I hope to get some more clarity on the matter.

Would you however say that your experience with KPT was positive?

Thank you.

Best regards,
DaveO
Hi, I m with Sanitas, telmed. They have an app which is very user friendly, and itís in english. I scan the prescriptions and the receipts for medicines with the app and voila, the claim is done. The doctors send their own bills to the insurance .If I have not met my deductible the insurance passes them to me for payment.
One important thing in telmed is to call ALWAYS before you go to the doctor. I was autrorized to see a specialist back in January and I had to revisit several times. Then I got a bill telling me I had to pay as I falied to call Telmed first, I didnt realize the first authorisation was for 3 months only....
They will recommend you doctors but you can choose where you want to go most of the times. For emergencies and visits to the OBgyn you dont need to call in advance.
I got sick in during vacation and ended in the hospital for a day, This bill had to be sent phisically. sent it last week and waiting for the reply.
For medications: there are many that are not covered by the basic insurance but I send every bill and prescription because I really dont know which is covered and which is not.
I hope this info helps.

Iím currently looking for another company as Sanitas denied me supplementary because I had history of postpartum depression and also denied my husband because he has high Blood pressue.
Hopefully Some company will take us.
Reply With Quote
  #455  
Old 05.09.2018, 23:38
Pilieich's Avatar
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Zurich
Posts: 46
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 13 Times in 8 Posts
Pilieich has no particular reputation at present
Re: Health Insurance FAQs

Hello,
Iím in the process of changing insurance company, looking for one that doesnít reject us for supplementary (sanitas did). I have 2 questions.
The agent offers smth called Kapitalversicherung, which I understand is a disability/death insurance. AHV/IV will make this insurance redundant right?
- the second question is about hospitalization: general ward vs semiprivate. Is it really that bad the general ward? Maybe itís worth spending the extra money (4 fr vs 38fr/ month ) just in case? Iím 47, husband 53. This part of the insurance is also supplementary? can they reject us ?
Thanks in advance for any help.
Reply With Quote
  #456  
Old 06.09.2018, 09:48
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: SG
Posts: 8,954
Groaned at 472 Times in 353 Posts
Thanked 11,909 Times in 6,191 Posts
Urs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Health Insurance FAQs

Quote:
The agent offers smth called Kapitalversicherung, which I understand is a disability/death insurance. AHV/IV will make this insurance redundant right?
Kapitalversicherung is kind of a savings plan coupled with an insurance, usually death/invalidity insruance. Say you pay 500 a month, 350 are saved and accumulated whereas the other 150 are used for the actual insurance (completely arbitrary amounts). You're usually much better off by taking a risk insurance only, not least due to poor return and lack of flexibiltiy (life happens).
Quote:
This part [halbprivat] of the insurance is also supplementary? can they reject us ?
Yes and yes. You may want to check if there's an age limit for successful applicants.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Urs Max for this useful post:
  #457  
Old 08.10.2018, 15:26
Atheri's Avatar
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Nyon
Posts: 71
Groaned at 11 Times in 3 Posts
Thanked 74 Times in 29 Posts
Atheri has earned some respectAtheri has earned some respect
Re: Health Insurance FAQs

Three basic questions from my side:

1. How do I exactly 'sign up' for the basic health insurance?
2. If I'm currently living in Nyon, do I need to go to Lausanne for this or can it be done online / via call too?
3. How do I know which Doctor to select on the insurance giver homepage?
Reply With Quote
  #458  
Old 09.10.2018, 07:43
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Mies
Posts: 958
Groaned at 14 Times in 10 Posts
Thanked 720 Times in 407 Posts
catandmouse has earned the respect of manycatandmouse has earned the respect of manycatandmouse has earned the respect of many
Re: Health Insurance FAQs

Quote:
View Post
Three basic questions from my side:

1. How do I exactly 'sign up' for the basic health insurance?
2. If I'm currently living in Nyon, do I need to go to Lausanne for this or can it be done online / via call too?
3. How do I know which Doctor to select on the insurance giver homepage?
1 & 2 Just contact the health insurance provider of your choice. Each company will do it their own way, but generally you should be able to do this online or over the phone. More than likely you'll get a contract to print out or in the post, which you'll have to sign and send back by snail-mail.
3 Depends on the kind of insurance you're taking out. If you're going for free choice of doctor, I don't see why you need to name a doctor. If you're trying to reduce premiums by limiting yourself to one of the family doctor schemes, you'll have to first register with one of the approved doctors (not all doctors will take on new patients). Some insurance companies have lists of recognized doctors, others will allow any GP or "mťdecine interne".
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank catandmouse for this useful post:
  #459  
Old 24.04.2019, 17:29
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: ZH
Posts: 30
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sunspace has no particular reputation at present
Re: Health Insurance FAQs

Hello everyone,

According to the previous posts , I have understood that I can initiate my health insurance in the first 3 months after arrival to Switzerland.My question is related to possible outcomes of starting my insurance at the end of first 3 months . Do I have to pay back anything for this 3 months without insurance ? I would be glad if anyone can explain possible disadvantages of starting my insurance at the end of this time . Thank you.

Ps: I will start to work as non- eu for the first time in Switzerland
Reply With Quote
  #460  
Old 24.04.2019, 17:31
roegner's Avatar
Moderately Dutch
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Zurich
Posts: 11,072
Groaned at 364 Times in 305 Posts
Thanked 13,918 Times in 6,492 Posts
roegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Health Insurance FAQs

Quote:
View Post
Hello everyone,

According to the previous posts , I have understood that I can initiate my health insurance in the first 3 months after arrival to Switzerland.My question is related to possible outcomes of starting my insurance at the end of first 3 months . Do I have to pay back anything for this 3 months without insurance ? I would be glad if anyone can explain possible disadvantages of starting my insurance at the end of this time . Thank you.

Ps: I will start to work as non- eu for the first time in Switzerland

Your insurance will be back dated so you pay for the time since you arrived in Switzerland (in most cases, some exceptions but mostly you pay as from day one).
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank roegner for this useful post:
Reply

Tags
health, insurance, insurance related, sticky thread




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Tip for people who want to keep EU health insurance muze7 Other/general 24 27.10.2016 09:31
Visiting a doc without health insurance!! Nickers Insurance 14 25.10.2011 13:26
Smoking & Health Insurance Nickers Complaints corner 21 07.08.2007 22:29
Insurance and insurance companies mark Complaints corner 5 16.01.2006 20:38


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 21:58.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0