Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Insurance
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 20.10.2017, 22:30
jacek's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Aargau
Posts: 7,762
Groaned at 98 Times in 77 Posts
Thanked 5,249 Times in 2,946 Posts
jacek has a reputation beyond reputejacek has a reputation beyond reputejacek has a reputation beyond reputejacek has a reputation beyond reputejacek has a reputation beyond reputejacek has a reputation beyond repute
Incident during our absence

We came back from relaxing holidays in Spain just to face the horror.

During our absence 20’s old (my wife’s son) decided to throw a party with friends, despite being told three times not to do so. Drinks, drugs, Red Bull were present ... God knows what else this youth were thinking to take.

Coming back home saw the car utterly destroyed. Rear bumper completely crashed and needs replacement, trunk indented also needs complete replacement, two doors indented on the left side and undersides damaged and also both need replacement. House full of empty bottles and cigarette stench everywhere. Some furnitures damaged.

Drunk and stoned irresponsible youngster without driver’s license bumped three nearby cars on parking lot trying to reverse and was reported by neighbours to the police shortly after trying to escape. Cut long story short, he appeared at the police station and were asked to apologize to the neighbours plus pay all the damages. He doesn’t have a job and needs to find one. He must report regularly back at the police station and update on his progress with social rehabilitation.

I was totally pissed off and we sent him away to cousins in hope he grows up and faces reality of life. Rude awakening so to speak.

Coming back to the car story. Rather old 2006 E90 BMW 325i with 143,000km on odometer but in excellent condition after service new brake pads and spark plugs installed. No full casco and only house hold insurance for accidents. I hoped to drive the car for few more years but now I need to change it. They quoted me 7...10kCHF in Switzerland and 5kCHF in Germany for repairs. Wondering if it’s worth it at all. No go is my conclusion!

Totally emotionally drained thinking to myself how family member could have done something idiotic and immature like that. Lost trust and lack of respect besides material damage. You try to teach them something useful in life and that’s how you get rewarded. Stupidity has no boundaries.
__________________
🎾That's what we do to help English speaking expats community in Switzerland:
General Information About Swiss Tennis
Tennis Lessons Summer Winter Seasons
🎾🎾Our charity organization to help unprivileged kids to realize their dreams:
FMTF Supports Tennis For Children in Southern Africa
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 20.10.2017, 22:45
Medea Fleecestealer's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Misery-Courtion
Posts: 16,998
Groaned at 283 Times in 217 Posts
Thanked 12,518 Times in 7,171 Posts
Medea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Incident during our absence

Hope you added your bills to the total he owes.

And shouldn't this be in the complaints section of the forum?

Question is - is this typical behaviour for him or a one off? If a one off then yes, maybe he'll learn. If it's typical then he's never likely to.

Shame your holiday has been spoiled through such inconsiderate behaviour.
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank Medea Fleecestealer for this useful post:
  #3  
Old 20.10.2017, 22:48
Swisstree's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Hants/ZH
Posts: 2,156
Groaned at 29 Times in 21 Posts
Thanked 4,778 Times in 1,609 Posts
Swisstree has a reputation beyond reputeSwisstree has a reputation beyond reputeSwisstree has a reputation beyond reputeSwisstree has a reputation beyond reputeSwisstree has a reputation beyond reputeSwisstree has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Incident during our absence

That is awful, Jacek. Horrible to come home to such damage.

Was he sorry? How did he explain what he did? Sounds like he is incredibly immature and really needed a babysitter, a neighbour/friend to keep an eye on your apartment and car. He sounds incredibly spoilt.

He needs his own place, a job to pay for his own life/ possessions. Only then will he understand what it means to have responsibility and respect.

Sorry about your car.
Reply With Quote
The following 4 users would like to thank Swisstree for this useful post:
  #4  
Old 20.10.2017, 22:51
jacek's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Aargau
Posts: 7,762
Groaned at 98 Times in 77 Posts
Thanked 5,249 Times in 2,946 Posts
jacek has a reputation beyond reputejacek has a reputation beyond reputejacek has a reputation beyond reputejacek has a reputation beyond reputejacek has a reputation beyond reputejacek has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Incident during our absence

Quote:
View Post
Hope you added your bills to the total he owes.

And shouldn't this be in the complaints section of the forum?

Question is - is this typical behaviour for him or a one off? If a one off then yes, maybe he'll learn. If it's typical then he's never likely to.

Shame your holiday has been spoiled through such inconsiderate behaviour.
Within last two years no other incident than ... once when he took out from the wallet few hundred franks without permission. Got hell for it and he was well behaved again. Other than few times, when he disappeared for weekends but rather had no money for serious abuse of anything greater than Red Bull and vodka. Not that he used to drink and smoke regularly. He was under our good supervision. Few other times he was left home alone - no problem.

Not that we left car keys outside for him to have them. They were well concealed in the drawer.
__________________
🎾That's what we do to help English speaking expats community in Switzerland:
General Information About Swiss Tennis
Tennis Lessons Summer Winter Seasons
🎾🎾Our charity organization to help unprivileged kids to realize their dreams:
FMTF Supports Tennis For Children in Southern Africa
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 20.10.2017, 22:55
st2lemans's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Lugano
Posts: 21,385
Groaned at 1,104 Times in 871 Posts
Thanked 24,097 Times in 11,527 Posts
st2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Incident during our absence

Worst I ever did was move everything out of the living room so that our drummer had space, and were loud enough that all of my mother's glassware (which she never used) was reduced to shrapnel.

However, my parents were impressed that we hadn't touched the liquor cabinet.

Oh, and this happened at least twice.

Tom
Reply With Quote
The following 4 users would like to thank st2lemans for this useful post:
  #6  
Old 20.10.2017, 23:02
jacek's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Aargau
Posts: 7,762
Groaned at 98 Times in 77 Posts
Thanked 5,249 Times in 2,946 Posts
jacek has a reputation beyond reputejacek has a reputation beyond reputejacek has a reputation beyond reputejacek has a reputation beyond reputejacek has a reputation beyond reputejacek has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Incident during our absence

Quote:
View Post
That is awful, Jacek. Horrible to come home to such damage.

Was he sorry? How did he explain what he did? Sounds like he is incredibly immature and really needed a babysitter, a neighbour/friend to keep an eye on your apartment and car. He sounds incredibly spoilt.

He needs his own place, a job to pay for his own life/ possessions. Only then will he understand what it means to have responsibility and respect.

Sorry about your car.
Well, I didn’t notice if he was really sorry because I was beyond myself raged in anger. I guess, I rather felt a tiny bit sorry for him when I saw my wife hitting him repetedaly with tennis racket. She was even more crossed and dissspointed with her son.

I agree about him having his own place to man up. We want to experiment with cousins first who let him stay until he will have found a job to see if there is no other underlying serious problem.

He just has an attitude of he knows it all better deep in his heart but rather quiet in front of us. Not in front of his friends though, when he is acting like a leader.

I think he needs a job and face reality of being an adult.
__________________
🎾That's what we do to help English speaking expats community in Switzerland:
General Information About Swiss Tennis
Tennis Lessons Summer Winter Seasons
🎾🎾Our charity organization to help unprivileged kids to realize their dreams:
FMTF Supports Tennis For Children in Southern Africa
Reply With Quote
The following 5 users would like to thank jacek for this useful post:
  #7  
Old 20.10.2017, 23:05
curley's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: canton ZH
Posts: 4,508
Groaned at 51 Times in 46 Posts
Thanked 4,659 Times in 2,471 Posts
curley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Incident during our absence

And you thought Catalonia was gonna be wild!

At the age of 20 with this attitude it's time to part. He can apply with RAV or social security if he's not able to support himself. It will be a refreshing lesson for him.
And you neither have to apologize to the neighbours nor pay the bills either, no matter what the police says. Well, apologizing to the neighbours might be a good idea anyway.

Sorry you're in this situation. (Is it really your "wife's son" or just the usual "look what YOUR son did"? )
Reply With Quote
The following 8 users would like to thank curley for this useful post:
  #8  
Old 20.10.2017, 23:07
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Leimbach, Zürich
Posts: 1,574
Groaned at 92 Times in 67 Posts
Thanked 1,455 Times in 751 Posts
EdwinNL has a reputation beyond reputeEdwinNL has a reputation beyond reputeEdwinNL has a reputation beyond reputeEdwinNL has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Incident during our absence

That sucks.

As for the BMW, If the color is common I'd buy the parts at a german dump in the same color and replace them myself. If money is not the issue just sell as is and get another one.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank EdwinNL for this useful post:
  #9  
Old 20.10.2017, 23:13
jacek's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Aargau
Posts: 7,762
Groaned at 98 Times in 77 Posts
Thanked 5,249 Times in 2,946 Posts
jacek has a reputation beyond reputejacek has a reputation beyond reputejacek has a reputation beyond reputejacek has a reputation beyond reputejacek has a reputation beyond reputejacek has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Incident during our absence

Quote:
View Post
And you thought Catalonia was gonna be wild!

At the age of 20 with this attitude it's time to part. He can apply with RAV or social security if he's not able to support himself. It will be a refreshing lesson for him.
And you neither have to apologize to the neighbours nor pay the bills either, no matter what the police says. Well, apologizing to the neighbours might be a good idea anyway.

Sorry you're in this situation. (Is it really your "wife's son" or just the usual "look what YOUR son did"? )
He was told by the police to apologize to the neighbours. Official letter came that my wife opened on his behalf (as he is not here anymore thanks goodness). There is a list of the neighbours to whom he must apologize. Landlord was rather cool seeing us look very perplexed and all he wanted was having him to apologize to the neighbours. Police wouldn’t even talk to us but him. All bills are coming to him. I don’t care how he is gonna deal with it but all I know he has to find a job, if either pay pro rata or make special arrangement - so be it, but he must sort out that shit he left behind. No compromise.
__________________
🎾That's what we do to help English speaking expats community in Switzerland:
General Information About Swiss Tennis
Tennis Lessons Summer Winter Seasons
🎾🎾Our charity organization to help unprivileged kids to realize their dreams:
FMTF Supports Tennis For Children in Southern Africa
Reply With Quote
The following 10 users would like to thank jacek for this useful post:
  #10  
Old 20.10.2017, 23:25
Swisstree's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Hants/ZH
Posts: 2,156
Groaned at 29 Times in 21 Posts
Thanked 4,778 Times in 1,609 Posts
Swisstree has a reputation beyond reputeSwisstree has a reputation beyond reputeSwisstree has a reputation beyond reputeSwisstree has a reputation beyond reputeSwisstree has a reputation beyond reputeSwisstree has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Incident during our absence

Quote:
View Post
Well, I didn’t notice if he was really sorry because I was beyond myself raged in anger. I guess, I rather felt a tiny bit sorry for him when I saw my wife hitting him repetedaly with tennis racket. She was even more crossed and dissspointed with her son.

I agree about him having his own place to man up. We want to experiment with cousins first who let him stay until he will have found a job to see if there is no other underlying serious problem.

He just has an attitude of he knows it all better deep in his heart but rather quiet in front of us. Not in front of his friends though, when he is acting like a leader.

I think he needs a job and face reality of being an adult.
Very wise to keep an eye on whether his actions are more than just a lack of maturity.

I hope this is the turning point for you as a family and he begins to grow up and finds his (adult) feet.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank Swisstree for this useful post:
  #11  
Old 20.10.2017, 23:33
jacek's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Aargau
Posts: 7,762
Groaned at 98 Times in 77 Posts
Thanked 5,249 Times in 2,946 Posts
jacek has a reputation beyond reputejacek has a reputation beyond reputejacek has a reputation beyond reputejacek has a reputation beyond reputejacek has a reputation beyond reputejacek has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Incident during our absence

Quote:
View Post
Very wise to keep an eye on whether his actions are more than just a lack of maturity.

I hope this is the turning point for you as a family and he begins to grow up and finds his (adult) feet.
Yeah. He just comes from RSA and maybe found it too boring and no excitement for his liking ...

Anyway, this is CH and things are working the way they work. Take it or break it. Not literally!
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 20.10.2017, 23:40
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Küsnacht, Switzerland
Posts: 1,882
Groaned at 60 Times in 56 Posts
Thanked 4,746 Times in 2,151 Posts
Blueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Incident during our absence

If it's any consolation at all Jacek...and I doubt it is at this point in time...my (now retired former barrister) brother and I did similar, if not worse in some eyes. It's just part of growing up... hopefully.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Blueangel for this useful post:
  #13  
Old 20.10.2017, 23:46
Longbyt's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: ZH
Posts: 8,116
Groaned at 64 Times in 60 Posts
Thanked 12,900 Times in 4,715 Posts
Longbyt has a reputation beyond reputeLongbyt has a reputation beyond reputeLongbyt has a reputation beyond reputeLongbyt has a reputation beyond reputeLongbyt has a reputation beyond reputeLongbyt has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Incident during our absence

Perhaps I am just weird, but your first post in this thread really shocked me. Earlier, on another thread, you had been so supportive to a new member who seemed to have made a bit of a mess of his life, with enormous debts. Here, almost the whole post is about the car and the damage the lad and his 'friends' have done.

I can really understand bitter disappointment and also rage at being let down like this by a chap who, at the age of twenty, should know better.
However, I would have expected a thread in the Family Matters section, asking if anyone had had this sort of experience and what they had done to help a close member of the family to pull himself together and make something of his life.

Why did he go off the rails? Did he want to impress his buddies? He has no job and no money. How else can he show off?
He may not behave like a responsible adult, but he is not being treated like one either. Your wife opened his letter? He was told three times not to have a party?
Quote:
View Post
I rather felt a tiny bit sorry for him when I saw my wife hitting him repetedaly with tennis racket. She was even more crossed and dissspointed with her son.
No comment.

He may desperately need support to get over this bad patch in his life. I hope, for his sake and for yours, that this is forthcoming.

P.S. A car key 'hidden in a drawer' is asking for trouble.
__________________
Longbyt
Reply With Quote
The following 4 users would like to thank Longbyt for this useful post:
  #14  
Old 20.10.2017, 23:49
jacek's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Aargau
Posts: 7,762
Groaned at 98 Times in 77 Posts
Thanked 5,249 Times in 2,946 Posts
jacek has a reputation beyond reputejacek has a reputation beyond reputejacek has a reputation beyond reputejacek has a reputation beyond reputejacek has a reputation beyond reputejacek has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Incident during our absence

Well, there was even an article re: accidents under intoxication in the area. He wouldn’t tell us the whole truth but the article says it all (for those who read German). Just a hint for parents in similar situation, put all the valuable objects in your house and lock them away from youngsters when away. Better be safe than sorry. I learnt my lesson too ...

http://www.polizeiticker.ch/news/art...nfluss-108640/
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank jacek for this useful post:
  #15  
Old 21.10.2017, 00:06
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: The moon
Posts: 1,751
Groaned at 25 Times in 19 Posts
Thanked 2,426 Times in 998 Posts
neddy has a reputation beyond reputeneddy has a reputation beyond reputeneddy has a reputation beyond reputeneddy has a reputation beyond reputeneddy has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Incident during our absence

This is why we get old & grey, dearest jacek. Know the feeling.
Reply With Quote
The following 4 users would like to thank neddy for this useful post:
  #16  
Old 21.10.2017, 00:11
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: ZH
Posts: 2,469
Groaned at 10 Times in 10 Posts
Thanked 3,607 Times in 1,417 Posts
doropfiz has a reputation beyond reputedoropfiz has a reputation beyond reputedoropfiz has a reputation beyond reputedoropfiz has a reputation beyond reputedoropfiz has a reputation beyond reputedoropfiz has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Incident during our absence

Quote:
View Post
I would have expected a thread in the Family Matters section, asking if anyone had had this sort of experience and what they had done to help a close member of the family to pull himself together and make something of his life.
.
Aw, come on, Longbyt, please. Jacek is plainly beside himself with rage, frustration, helplessness, feeling he'd like to blame the lad, feeling somewhat sorry for him, etc.

Whatever the background, however this sorry tale came to pass, right now Jacek is probably not exactly in a fit emotional state (I doubt I would be, were I to find myself in his shoes!) to carefully choose the right sub-section of a forum nor to ask about which kind of help he, his wife, or the young man himself need. That may come later.

Longbyt, I happen to agree with you about several of the other points you raised, by the way, such as anyone opening anyone else's mail, or hitting anyone with a tennis-racket (here: mother -> son).
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank doropfiz for this useful post:
  #17  
Old 21.10.2017, 00:13
martin959's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Basel
Posts: 696
Groaned at 4 Times in 4 Posts
Thanked 280 Times in 167 Posts
martin959 has earned the respect of manymartin959 has earned the respect of manymartin959 has earned the respect of many
Re: Incident during our absence

Send him to serve military service, will come back just like new.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank martin959 for this useful post:
  #18  
Old 21.10.2017, 00:15
curley's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: canton ZH
Posts: 4,508
Groaned at 51 Times in 46 Posts
Thanked 4,659 Times in 2,471 Posts
curley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Incident during our absence

Quote:
View Post
Perhaps I am just weird, but your first post in this thread really shocked me. Earlier, on another thread, you had been so supportive to a new member who seemed to have made a bit of a mess of his life, with enormous debts. Here, almost the whole post is about the car and the damage the lad and his 'friends' have done.

I can really understand bitter disappointment and also rage at being let down like this by a chap who, at the age of twenty, should know better.
However, I would have expected a thread in the Family Matters section, asking if anyone had had this sort of experience and what they had done to help a close member of the family to pull himself together and make something of his life.

Why did he go off the rails? Did he want to impress his buddies? He has no job and no money. How else can he show off?
He may not behave like a responsible adult, but he is not being treated like one either. Your wife opened his letter? He was told three times not to have a party?
No comment.

He may desperately need support to get over this bad patch in his life. I hope, for his sake and for yours, that this is forthcoming.

P.S. A car key 'hidden in a drawer' is asking for trouble.
I disagree, the two debt-situations are not comparable at all.

Help getting over what bad patch in his life? Having mucked up the trust of his family, his stance in the neighbourhood and his start in a new country within one night?
The constant pampering and solving problems for adult "children" produces those who still rant about how unfair life is at the age of 40.

A good kick in the butt, a few addresses (Sozialamt, Schuldenberatungsstelle etc.) can work wonders.
Reply With Quote
The following 10 users would like to thank curley for this useful post:
  #19  
Old 21.10.2017, 00:17
curley's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: canton ZH
Posts: 4,508
Groaned at 51 Times in 46 Posts
Thanked 4,659 Times in 2,471 Posts
curley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Incident during our absence

Quote:
View Post
Send him to serve military service, will come back just like new.
In Namibia? Harsh
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank curley for this useful post:
  #20  
Old 21.10.2017, 00:18
jacek's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Aargau
Posts: 7,762
Groaned at 98 Times in 77 Posts
Thanked 5,249 Times in 2,946 Posts
jacek has a reputation beyond reputejacek has a reputation beyond reputejacek has a reputation beyond reputejacek has a reputation beyond reputejacek has a reputation beyond reputejacek has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Incident during our absence

Quote:
View Post
Aw, come on, Longbyt, please. Jacek is plainly beside himself with rage, frustration, helplessness, feeling he'd like to blame the lad, feeling somewhat sorry for him, etc.

Whatever the background, however this sorry tale came to pass, right now Jacek is probably not exactly in a fit emotional state (I doubt I would be, were I to find myself in his shoes!) to carefully choose the right sub-section of a forum nor to ask about which kind of help he, his wife, or the young man himself need. That may come later.

Longbyt, I happen to agree with you about several of the other points you raised, by the way, such as anyone opening anyone else's mail (here: mother -> son).
Well, normally we don’t go that route to open anyone’s letters but here the situation is a bit different as he also happens not to speak/read good German well fluently enough to understand the content. Besides he is not staying here anymore and all correspondence is being addressed to here.

The letters content has listed all the neighbors families to be apologized to. That’s a police order, the landlords request and our order too.
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank jacek for this useful post:
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Importing our car and motorcycle during move Adeoxymus Transportation/driving 2 08.03.2016 00:44
Our planet, our sun, our universe Mibami General off-topic 23 24.02.2012 14:42
Absence during spouse visa application mirror Permits/visas/government 5 21.12.2010 00:57
Someone to take care of our dog during year end joonwah Jobs wanted 9 17.10.2008 15:44
Our first impressions during a visit mick c Daily life 53 10.10.2007 09:59


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 18:39.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0