Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Insurance  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21  
Old 19.12.2017, 11:57
PaddyG's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Pensier, Fribourg
Posts: 9,277
Groaned at 121 Times in 105 Posts
Thanked 16,857 Times in 5,912 Posts
PaddyG has a reputation beyond reputePaddyG has a reputation beyond reputePaddyG has a reputation beyond reputePaddyG has a reputation beyond reputePaddyG has a reputation beyond reputePaddyG has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Last minute travel insurance for canceling flight due to sickness?

Are you members of TCS? Their global option offers travel insurance worldwide. I was panicking over this Summer's trip to NZ as I wasn't eligible for the travel firm's own policy (I had to live in the UK), but a quick call to confirm with TCS reassured me.

Edit: Oh yeah, next year, get the flu jab
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank PaddyG for this useful post:
  #22  
Old 19.12.2017, 13:46
Medea Fleecestealer's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Switzerland
Posts: 20,619
Groaned at 355 Times in 270 Posts
Thanked 15,078 Times in 8,652 Posts
Medea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Last minute travel insurance for canceling flight due to sickness?

Quote:
View Post
Edit: Oh yeah, next year, get the flu jab
Might not work. Hubby got his via work this year, but we both still came down with very bad cold/flu - snuffling, sneezing, coughing for 3-4 weeks. Think he may have picked up a different strain since he'd been working with colleagues from all over the world a few days before.

Also occasionally the "experts" guess which type of flu is going to be around, prepare vaccinations for that and a different strain rears its ugly head instead so the vaccination is pretty much useless. Had this happen a few years ago.
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank Medea Fleecestealer for this useful post:
  #23  
Old 19.12.2017, 13:51
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: CH
Posts: 469
Groaned at 18 Times in 12 Posts
Thanked 444 Times in 234 Posts
ch2013 has made some interesting contributions
Re: Last minute travel insurance for canceling flight due to sickness?

Quote:
View Post
Might not work. Hubby got his via work this year, but we both still came down with very bad cold/flu - snuffling, sneezing, coughing for 3-4 weeks. Think he may have picked up a different strain since he'd been working with colleagues from all over the world a few days before.

Also occasionally the "experts" guess which type of flu is going to be around, prepare vaccinations for that and a different strain rears its ugly head instead so the vaccination is pretty much useless. Had this happen a few years ago.
This latest strain is one of the worst I've ever experienced. I'm into my 4th week and still coughing and snuffling, just can't seem to shake it. I already had a week off work.

Hope I can get rid of it before the holidays...
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank ch2013 for this useful post:
  #24  
Old 19.12.2017, 13:54
PaddyG's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Pensier, Fribourg
Posts: 9,277
Groaned at 121 Times in 105 Posts
Thanked 16,857 Times in 5,912 Posts
PaddyG has a reputation beyond reputePaddyG has a reputation beyond reputePaddyG has a reputation beyond reputePaddyG has a reputation beyond reputePaddyG has a reputation beyond reputePaddyG has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Last minute travel insurance for canceling flight due to sickness?

Quote:
View Post
Might not work. Hubby got his via work this year, but we both still came down with very bad cold/flu - snuffling, sneezing, coughing for 3-4 weeks. Think he may have picked up a different strain since he'd been working with colleagues from all over the world a few days before.

Also occasionally the "experts" guess which type of flu is going to be around, prepare vaccinations for that and a different strain rears its ugly head instead so the vaccination is pretty much useless. Had this happen a few years ago.
Oh I know, my previous job was preparing the clinical trial documentation for the yearly recommended strains. And why "experts" in quotation marks? It's not just simply a guess, they do take their time to decide, based on the available evidence. No, it's not full-proof either, but then the nature of the flu virus itself doesn't allow for that. However, something is better than nothing after all.
Reply With Quote
The following 7 users would like to thank PaddyG for this useful post:
  #25  
Old 19.12.2017, 14:03
Medea Fleecestealer's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Switzerland
Posts: 20,619
Groaned at 355 Times in 270 Posts
Thanked 15,078 Times in 8,652 Posts
Medea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Last minute travel insurance for canceling flight due to sickness?

Quote:
View Post
This latest strain is one of the worst I've ever experienced. I'm into my 4th week and still coughing and snuffling, just can't seem to shake it. I already had a week off work.

Hope I can get rid of it before the holidays...
Yeah, we got ours at the end of November. Almost gone, but hubby is still feeling a bit weak and I can't shake off the last of the throaty/chesty cough.
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 19.12.2017, 14:14
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: SZ
Posts: 9,876
Groaned at 24 Times in 23 Posts
Thanked 22,101 Times in 7,069 Posts
meloncollie has a reputation beyond reputemeloncollie has a reputation beyond reputemeloncollie has a reputation beyond reputemeloncollie has a reputation beyond reputemeloncollie has a reputation beyond reputemeloncollie has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Last minute travel insurance for canceling flight due to sickness?

Quote:
View Post
This latest strain is one of the worst I've ever experienced. I'm into my 4th week and still coughing and snuffling, just can't seem to shake it. I already had a week off work.

Hope I can get rid of it before the holidays...

There's hope: I've just today, a bit past the week 4 marker, emerged from the living dead. This flu - or whatever it is - hangs on and on. Hope you start to feel better soon.

I'm guessing I picked up this bug on my last flight... so I'm glad to hear that the OP has done the sensible thing by rearranging her trip.


Which brings me to:

Swisstobe, for future reference, as you look for travel insurance options see if it is offered by your Krankenkasse. No, not coverage under your basic/supplemental coverage, this would be a separate policy. I don't qualify for any supplemental KK coverage, but I had no trouble signing up for travel insurance.

With mine you can choose the options you think you would need, such as flight cancellation, luggage replacement, and - the reason I carry it - emergency medical treatment abroad. (I largely travel to the US, so the '2x Swiss price' coverage that might be included in a KK policy is insufficient.)

I have it through CSS, my KK. Cost is a couple hundred a year - a bargain if you have to change a flight... or happen to land in a US emergency room.

---

Happy - and healthy - holidays, one and all.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank meloncollie for this useful post:
  #27  
Old 19.12.2017, 14:22
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Last minute travel insurance for canceling flight due to sickness?

Surely I can't be the only one that read this as "how can I defraud an insurance company?"?

In this position though I'd probably take enough paracetamol so I could get to the airport, have plenty more for the flight and then continue my suffering once reaching the final destination.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank for this useful post:
The following 2 users groan at for this post:
  #28  
Old 19.12.2017, 14:32
roegner's Avatar
Moderately Dutch
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Zurich
Posts: 9,046
Groaned at 313 Times in 258 Posts
Thanked 9,974 Times in 5,025 Posts
roegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Last minute travel insurance for canceling flight due to sickness?

Quote:
View Post
Surely I can't be the only one that read this as "how can I defraud an insurance company?"?

In this position though I'd probably take enough paracetamol so I could get to the airport, have plenty more for the flight and then continue my suffering once reaching the final destination.
And have the joy of making sure probably 250 other people get the flu as well?

And you having complications from flying with fever (and the rest)? If you have ever flown feeling really unwell you wouldn´t recommend it to anyone
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank roegner for this useful post:
  #29  
Old 19.12.2017, 14:41
NotAllThere's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Baselland
Posts: 11,259
Groaned at 170 Times in 147 Posts
Thanked 16,013 Times in 6,504 Posts
NotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Last minute travel insurance for canceling flight due to sickness?

Quote:
View Post
And have the joy of making sure probably 250 other people get the flu as well?...
On the plus side, they might pass it on to her in-laws...
Reply With Quote
The following 5 users would like to thank NotAllThere for this useful post:
  #30  
Old 19.12.2017, 14:52
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Last minute travel insurance for canceling flight due to sickness?

Quote:
View Post
And have the joy of making sure probably 250 other people get the flu as well?

And you having complications from flying with fever (and the rest)? If you have ever flown feeling really unwell you wouldn´t recommend it to anyone
Been there, done that. Flew back from Baku once with one of the worst hangovers ever suffered by man. Wouldn't recommend but you get through it somehow.

And if you would be concerned about spreading your germs around, you could always do the east Asian thing:

Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank for this useful post:
  #31  
Old 19.12.2017, 15:11
roegner's Avatar
Moderately Dutch
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Zurich
Posts: 9,046
Groaned at 313 Times in 258 Posts
Thanked 9,974 Times in 5,025 Posts
roegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Last minute travel insurance for canceling flight due to sickness?

Quote:
View Post
Been there, done that. Flew back from Baku once with one of the worst hangovers ever suffered by man.
Completely different story from flying with the flu (and you don´t spread germs only by breathing....)
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 19.12.2017, 15:28
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Last minute travel insurance for canceling flight due to sickness?

Quote:
View Post
Completely different story from flying with the flu (and you don´t spread germs only by breathing....)
If you'd have been me that day you wouldn't be saying that
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank for this useful post:
  #33  
Old 19.12.2017, 15:59
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Küsnacht, Switzerland
Posts: 4,195
Groaned at 89 Times in 83 Posts
Thanked 8,848 Times in 4,051 Posts
Blueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Last minute travel insurance for canceling flight due to sickness?

Quote:
View Post
Surely I can't be the only one that read this as "how can I defraud an insurance company?"?
I know the OP to be better than that, and what she was asking happens all the time. Travel insurance companies are well aware of it. It's still the case that many people don't buy insurance til the last minute, which is why many airports now have travel insurance sales machines airside, en route to the departure gates. US airports used to have trip insurance vending machines in most airports.

https://www.businesswire.com/news/ho...ured-departure

Quote:
View Post
In this position though I'd probably take enough paracetamol so I could get to the airport, have plenty more for the flight and then continue my suffering once reaching the final destination.
In case you missed it, the airline can refuse boarding if you're clearly ill and running a temperature. Back in the day, it was common for people to pop a Contac 400 for the duration of a flight, because it was good at masking syptoms, but remedies of that strength are no longer available over the counter.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank Blueangel for this useful post:
  #34  
Old 19.12.2017, 16:12
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Last minute travel insurance for canceling flight due to sickness?

Quote:
View Post
In case you missed it, the airline can refuse boarding if you're clearly ill and running a temperature. Back in the day, it was common for people to pop a Contac 400 for the duration of a flight, because it was good at masking syptoms, but remedies of that strength are no longer available over the counter.
In theory perhaps, but in practice this doesn't really work. At many airports they even have self scanning at the boarding gates so human contact is minimal. In Liverpool one family thought they could even get away with bringing a corpse on board.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank for this useful post:
  #35  
Old 19.12.2017, 16:22
Medea Fleecestealer's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Switzerland
Posts: 20,619
Groaned at 355 Times in 270 Posts
Thanked 15,078 Times in 8,652 Posts
Medea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Last minute travel insurance for canceling flight due to sickness?

Wonder what the outcome of that was Loz.
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 19.12.2017, 16:25
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Küsnacht, Switzerland
Posts: 4,195
Groaned at 89 Times in 83 Posts
Thanked 8,848 Times in 4,051 Posts
Blueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Last minute travel insurance for canceling flight due to sickness?

Quote:
View Post
At many airports they even have self scanning at the boarding gates so human contact is minimal.
Where and when did you last see self scannng?

In the 20+ flights I've taken in the last 12mths, I've never seen it. Even had to explain to a security officer at GVA that I wasn't ill...I was having a hot flush. Had to explain again at passport control and yet again at the gate. (The shame of it! ) Made me wonder how many women of my age scream at them... "I'm freakin' menopausal you ignorant twonk!!!"
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Blueangel for this useful post:
  #37  
Old 19.12.2017, 16:48
Belgianmum's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Neuchâtel
Posts: 10,728
Groaned at 144 Times in 130 Posts
Thanked 15,781 Times in 6,857 Posts
Belgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Last minute travel insurance for canceling flight due to sickness?

Quote:
View Post
Where and when did you last see self scannng?

In the 20+ flights I've taken in the last 12mths, I've never seen it. Even had to explain to a security officer at GVA that I wasn't ill...I was having a hot flush. Had to explain again at passport control and yet again at the gate. (The shame of it! ) Made me wonder how many women of my age scream at them... "I'm freakin' menopausal you ignorant twonk!!!"
London Gatwick last week.

The only time we had contact with a human ( aside for my OH being pulled over to be frisked by security) was at the gate as we were boarding the plane and if we’d had the boarding cards on our phones we wouldn’t even have had that as she was only scanning the paper ones.

I had the beginnings of what I thought was a stinking cold at the time (turns out I have pneumonia) and was blowing my nose a lot but nobody questioned me about it. The doctor did say that I had probably caught it on the flight on the way over.

Last edited by Belgianmum; 19.12.2017 at 17:23.
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 19.12.2017, 16:58
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Küsnacht, Switzerland
Posts: 4,195
Groaned at 89 Times in 83 Posts
Thanked 8,848 Times in 4,051 Posts
Blueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Last minute travel insurance for canceling flight due to sickness?

So there were two points where a fever type illness could have been flagged up, and the gate staff can refuse boarding.
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 19.12.2017, 17:04
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Last minute travel insurance for canceling flight due to sickness?

Quote:
View Post
Where and when did you last see self scannng?

In the 20+ flights I've taken in the last 12mths, I've never seen it. Even had to explain to a security officer at GVA that I wasn't ill...I was having a hot flush. Had to explain again at passport control and yet again at the gate. (The shame of it! ) Made me wonder how many women of my age scream at them... "I'm freakin' menopausal you ignorant twonk!!!"
Zürich has self scanning at the boarding gates. And even when it's done by a person, normally they only check that the ticket name matches that on the passport, they hardly even look at you.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank for this useful post:
  #40  
Old 19.12.2017, 17:09
Belgianmum's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Neuchâtel
Posts: 10,728
Groaned at 144 Times in 130 Posts
Thanked 15,781 Times in 6,857 Posts
Belgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Last minute travel insurance for canceling flight due to sickness?

Quote:
View Post
And even when it's done by a person, normally they only check that the ticket name matches that on the passport, they hardly even look at you.
That was exactly my experience at Gatwick. The woman put the boarding pass on the reader, looked at the name on the passport and handed them both back without even looking at me. Even if she had I don't know how she would have known I was ill as I certainly didn't look unwell at that time.

If everyone with a bit of a cold was refused boarding the planes would be half empty most of the time. I didn't realise how sick I was at that time and had it been a few days later there would have been no way I would have been fit enough to get on a plane but at the time I thought is was a bit if a sniffle. Thousands of people must do the same thing every single day.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Belgianmum for this useful post:
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
which Travel insurance to buy? especially need for flight&luggage delay mattalex Insurance 2 14.08.2014 15:50
Good travel sites for cheap/last minute packages? xaphod Travel/day trips/free time 3 30.10.2011 18:45
websites for flight or last minute deals? MariV Transportation/driving 7 09.06.2011 12:34
Anyone got a last-minute cheap flight ticket before? How and where? jttraveller Travel/day trips/free time 8 12.12.2010 20:36
Missed flight connection Travel Insurance Castro Insurance 15 26.02.2009 12:17


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 12:20.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0