Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Insurance  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 12.03.2019, 19:06
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Lausanne
Posts: 18
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 6 Times in 3 Posts
ShaneeeAJ has no particular reputation at present
Health Insurance Exemption & Brexit

Hi everyone,

I am a British Student undertaking a masters in CH. I have an exemption from health insurance due to having an EHIC card.

My suspicion is that if the UK leaves the EU on 29th March without a deal then my EHIC is no longer valid therefore my exemption from Swiss health insurance is no longer valid. Anyone know if this is true?

Also, anyone know what happens to EHIC cards if the current withdrawal agreement is brought into force? I imagine EHIC continues until end of 2020?

Kind Regards,

Shane
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 12.03.2019, 19:19
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Leimbach, Zürich
Posts: 6,010
Groaned at 352 Times in 285 Posts
Thanked 6,809 Times in 3,413 Posts
EdwinNL has a reputation beyond reputeEdwinNL has a reputation beyond reputeEdwinNL has a reputation beyond reputeEdwinNL has a reputation beyond reputeEdwinNL has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Health Insurance Exemption & Brexit

No deal means the EHIC card is invalid unless the UK makes agreements with each individual country.

A transition period would keep the card valid aslong as the transition period is up. (which should be unto 31 December 2020)
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank EdwinNL for this useful post:
  #3  
Old 12.03.2019, 19:24
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Lausanne
Posts: 18
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 6 Times in 3 Posts
ShaneeeAJ has no particular reputation at present
Re: Health Insurance Exemption & Brexit

So no deal means I would need health insurance from the 30th March, right?

Quote:
View Post
No deal means the EHIC card is invalid unless the UK makes agreements with each individual country.

A transition period would keep the card valid aslong as the transition period is up. (which should be unto 31 December 2020)
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank ShaneeeAJ for this useful post:
  #4  
Old 12.03.2019, 19:46
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: England
Posts: 20
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 26 Times in 7 Posts
Hannahin has earned some respectHannahin has earned some respect
Re: Health Insurance Exemption & Brexit

I’m confused as to why you would be exempt from health insurance? I’m a Brit in CH and had to get health insurance the moment I arrived even though I have an EHIC. My friend who is also British did her Masters and still was required to have Swiss HI.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 12.03.2019, 19:51
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: England
Posts: 20
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 26 Times in 7 Posts
Hannahin has earned some respectHannahin has earned some respect
Re: Health Insurance Exemption & Brexit

(Unless you plan on staying 3 months or less and can prove it, then I think you can use the EHIC without insurance. The EHIC is only valid for a few months in each EU country ahyway I think.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 12.03.2019, 21:27
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Leimbach, Zürich
Posts: 6,010
Groaned at 352 Times in 285 Posts
Thanked 6,809 Times in 3,413 Posts
EdwinNL has a reputation beyond reputeEdwinNL has a reputation beyond reputeEdwinNL has a reputation beyond reputeEdwinNL has a reputation beyond reputeEdwinNL has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Health Insurance Exemption & Brexit

Quote:
View Post
I’m confused as to why you would be exempt from health insurance? I’m a Brit in CH and had to get health insurance the moment I arrived even though I have an EHIC. My friend who is also British did her Masters and still was required to have Swiss HI.
EU people with an EHIC card and without income can apply for an exemption.

https://www.ethz.ch/en/studies/inter...urance/eu.html
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank EdwinNL for this useful post:
  #7  
Old 13.03.2019, 00:17
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Lausanne
Posts: 18
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 6 Times in 3 Posts
ShaneeeAJ has no particular reputation at present
Re: Health Insurance Exemption & Brexit

Yeah as Edwin says it’s not mandatory, you just have to apply for a exemption. However Brexit changes this.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank ShaneeeAJ for this useful post:
  #8  
Old 16.05.2019, 21:20
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Manchester
Posts: 8
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 4 Times in 2 Posts
JohnDo has no particular reputation at present
Re: Health Insurance Exemption & Brexit

Anybody have any ideas about this. My partner and I have just moved to Zurich stzying in Wettswil. She has just received her permit B and has started work, while I am yet to register (next week). We have signed her up for health insurance. I was wondering, since I will be unemployed and basically studying on the OU for at least a year, do I need to pay the full amount of health insurance or is there a discount? I will also be asking the very same question about public transport if I find that particular thread.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 16.05.2019, 21:30
Sandgrounder's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: ZH
Posts: 13,823
Groaned at 126 Times in 117 Posts
Thanked 25,638 Times in 9,857 Posts
Sandgrounder has a reputation beyond reputeSandgrounder has a reputation beyond reputeSandgrounder has a reputation beyond reputeSandgrounder has a reputation beyond reputeSandgrounder has a reputation beyond reputeSandgrounder has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Health Insurance Exemption & Brexit

Quote:
View Post
Anybody have any ideas about this. My partner and I have just moved to Zurich stzying in Wettswil. She has just received her permit B and has started work, while I am yet to register (next week). We have signed her up for health insurance. I was wondering, since I will be unemployed and basically studying on the OU for at least a year, do I need to pay the full amount of health insurance or is there a discount? I will also be asking the very same question about public transport if I find that particular thread.
Shop around on comparis for optimal health insurance and get a halbtax travel card for public transport. You get half price travel with it.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 16.05.2019, 21:31
roegner's Avatar
Moderately Dutch
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Zurich
Posts: 8,967
Groaned at 310 Times in 256 Posts
Thanked 9,829 Times in 4,956 Posts
roegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Health Insurance Exemption & Brexit

Quote:
View Post
Anybody have any ideas about this. My partner and I have just moved to Zurich stzying in Wettswil. She has just received her permit B and has started work, while I am yet to register (next week). We have signed her up for health insurance. I was wondering, since I will be unemployed and basically studying on the OU for at least a year, do I need to pay the full amount of health insurance or is there a discount? I will also be asking the very same question about public transport if I find that particular thread.
I don´t think discounts count when studying at OU.

And yes, there are student discounts, check the website from the SBB
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 28.05.2019, 19:28
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: Zürich
Posts: 11
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Newtozh has no particular reputation at present
Re: Health Insurance Exemption & Brexit

There are discounts for uni students, under 25s etc
Health insurance companies give discounts if paid in full for the whole year or bi-annually but the discount percentage is only 1%-2%.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
brexit, ehic, health insurance, validity




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Help with Health Insurance Exemption form andreasyeah Insurance 4 22.06.2017 22:16
Using Form A for Health Insurance exemption mkren Insurance 4 17.10.2014 16:59
Exemption from compulsory health insurance MatthsMatths Insurance 69 16.07.2013 13:09
Exemption of Health Insurance in CH vlad_island Insurance 17 30.09.2012 01:42
Exemption from Mandatory Swiss health insurance wildboar Insurance 32 20.12.2010 01:55


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 15:13.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0